Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty (25215 Views)

Threads: See Elon Musk's Reply on Twitter's attempt to sue Meta / Facebook Changes Its Name To Meta In Major Rebrand / Samsung Sues Ksenia Sobchak, Ambassador For Using An Iphone X On TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Horus(m): 1:14pm On Oct 04, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Azd8uUkZ8

Australia sues Meta over Fraud Ads
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by casualobserver: 1:19pm On Oct 04, 2022
CheapHomes1:

What is the correlation between hating government and being unpatriotic?

All the revenue govt has been getting, how much have you received?

you are clearly lacking more than a few brain cells. Favouring the exploitation of your country by a foreign company is unpatriotic and quite frankly daft because the monies they are supposed to pay your govt and not paying is the money that is meant for social service. This govt will leave one day another govt will take its place, if you are saying they shouldnt pay what is due to this govt but they should only pay when we have a govt you favour, then your problem is more than your village people!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Originalsly: 1:20pm On Oct 04, 2022
Hmmm.... what really is unethical and irresponsible advertising? Is it anything opposing the present administration? What is ethical and responsible in Lagos is unethical and irresponsible in many other States. Why not manage local ads first before trying to manage the big fish?
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by CheapHomes1: 1:20pm On Oct 04, 2022
casualobserver:

you are clearly lacking more than a few brain cells. Favouring the exploitation of your country by a foreign company is unpatriotic and quite frankly daft because the monies they are supposed to pay your govt and not paying is the money that is meant for social service. This govt will leave one day another govt will take its place, if you are saying they shouldnt pay what is due to this govt but they should only pay when we have a govt you favour, then your problem is more than your village people!!!

With your complete brains cells, you still were unable to answer 2 simple questions.

1 Like

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by JJArthur: 1:22pm On Oct 04, 2022
okay
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Electorate: 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2022
Beckham14:
First it was Twitter, now they're planning to sue Meta Platforms Incorporated (Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram)

Nothing concern aboki with social media.

You obviously can't read.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by texazzpete(m): 1:25pm On Oct 04, 2022
BATified2023:
u people will always display your ignorance everywhere u are found,people like u are best described as ignorantly aggressive

You are programmed to blame the government even when they are doing d right thing

Read n read again so u can have a better understanding of what the report is about

Na you No understand anything, and you don’t even realize that some of you are de-marketing your candidate with these foolish arguments.

Facebook/Meta is already paying tax to the Govt in Nigeria. This useless organization now wants to be getting a cut out of every advert placed on Facebook. Are they insane? and theyre trying to tackle this by claiming that adverts are ‘unregulated’ and thus immoral

This is absolute nonsense.

Why would a BAT supporter push for this? are you saying this is what your candidate stands for?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Coldie(m): 1:29pm On Oct 04, 2022
emraja:
There is nothing wrong with this. Facebook should do what is needful. A certain amount of their revenue from the Nigerian populace ought to be paid to the government as tax.
Una no just get sense. Me I just know Nigeria is not changing anytime soon, cause the level of people with thick skulls are too plenty.

Facebook has been paying taxes to the federal government based on Nigerian laws, they came again added 7.5% tax to individuals trying to advertise through Facebook while they are still paying normal company income tax on all transactions.

Now they say their new problem is that Facebook must come to them for approval of promotions they make before posting on their sites, u and I know this approval will not be free.

Is Nigeria the only country Facebook runs in?
These people haven’t talked anything about how multinational companies have billions trapped in Nigeria cause of no foreign exchange.

If these people are sincere they would go and look at Facebook terms and conditions to see if it goes against them.

It’s this foolishness that’s killing every aspect of Nigeria. You would pay insurance as a bus driver, still pay federal government for approval, still pay state, pay local governments, then u must pay every state ur bus passes through, then still pay police and army checkpoints.

Then to make matters worst with how hard it is for your business to survive one person is busy stealing #10billion.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by casualobserver: 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2022
CheapHomes1:

With your complete brains cells, you still were unable to answer 2 simple questions.

If I have to answer the question it means I am daft. Why? Because even an idiot can answer those questions and if you can’t answer those questions yourself, then nothing I will say will make you see sense meaning you are only here to argue and I would have been a fool for taking the bait and prolonging the argument with a retard beyond its shelf life. Goodbye!!!

1 Like

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by donkach: 1:32pm On Oct 04, 2022
BATified2023:
Some people just want to wail at any given opportunity,they will never bother to read the content of any report but their programmed mind will b about how to hate for no reason

Tell them not to drink poison n they will tell u that u are stoping them from seeing their maker

I remember a time when uzodinma ban d sales of alcohol at garages to avoid drivers getting high n causing accident,these hopeless wailers even wailed to high heaven when it was obvious he was trying to help them

I think you lack understanding or maybe you just want to sound sophisticated. Do you know the number of conventional, unregistered ( no need to) small business and services advertised through Facebook, Instagram and others on a daily basis.
So those adverts must be approved before they are let out or vetted by a dis-functional Nigerian system.
Just check what APCON have become, before spewing trash.
They don't even have the capacity to process and vet the daily ads that would come up. The last time I checked, they don't have an AI powered platform.
All in a bid to make money and cashout from Facebook and indirectly from poor Nigerians who are struggling everyday to put their small business to the notice.

Common sense isn't common. Or people are simply ignorant and stupid. I spit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Coldie(m): 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2022
casualobserver:

U are clearly the one lacking brain cells, why is Nigeria overtaxing and over regulating companies.

Nigeria wants to tax companies more than developed world standards while providing little or zero infrastructures for their operations.

Facebook pays normal corporation taxes, then FG said subscribers or users of digital services should be paying 7.5% vat nobody talk, now they say for any promo or advert done by them must go through them.

Going through them isn’t the problem next thing u know they will put another fee for approval of adverts.

But if u ask the government if Facebook ceo can’t walk on the road without security nobody will answer, if u ask them can Facebook Nigeria be guaranteed 20hours electricity nobody will answer. All they are interested in is to collect

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by linearity: 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2022
Authority1o1:
Okay...

To add, Meta seriously needs to review its privacy and advertising policy. I'd not prejudice the FG on the precedent of their Twitter ban because truly, these American companies exhibit their authoritarian control of people's information by incorporating their devices and sites with technologies that steal your information in the background while letting you believe you're in control by fronting their phony 'privacy control' action.

The adverts that you see pop up on your phone or when using the internet are suggested by your usage history and preference.

For instance, even though I am keen about politics, I almost threw up when an ad brought up the face of Tinubu with a 'vote for the right man' tag on it. I lost appetite for the evening meal before me while being thankful that no child was looking at my screen.

I can't handle convulsions.

Then stop using their internet, their browser and their google.

Na only carry internet put for fone, come type www.google.com to visit their server located all the way in obodo oyibo instead of visiting your own locally made search engine then are here to complain about what the feeds you with?

This lawsuit is nonsense, the internet does not work like a radio station that beams their signal at a particular geographical location rather, it is people in Nigeria that go out to seek these companies and browser their sites.

If the Nigeria Government is serious, they should do what China is doing, mount a firewall on the Nigeria internet gateway and filter out all contents from these companies.

Yes, I know it will not work because just like in the case of Twitter, Nigerians will find ways to bypass it e.g. by using VPN, Proxy servers, etc….but that in itself will tell you that, the problem is not Meta’s but Nigeria’s.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by omoadeleye(m): 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2022
Na illiterates full this thread.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Harrynight(m): 1:39pm On Oct 04, 2022
BATified2023:
Some people just want to wail at any given opportunity,they will never bother to read the content of any report but their programmed mind will b about how to hate for no reason

Tell them not to drink poison n they will tell u that u are stoping them from seeing their maker

I remember a time when uzodinma ban d sales of alcohol at garages to avoid drivers getting high n causing accident,these hopeless wailers even wailed to high heaven when it was obvious he was trying to help them

And you think drivers can't get alcohol outside garage?

What stop Nigeria government from making it a serious crime driving just after consuming alcohol?
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by LienwaltAbel(m): 1:44pm On Oct 04, 2022
Loss of revenue for looting you mean? Useless clueless bunch
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Mikeiron78(m): 1:52pm On Oct 04, 2022
When stupid old people run the government, this is what happened. Do they know how many Nigerians benefit from Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp with free advertisement of their businesses and free long distance calls. They are about to mess it up with payment options because Meta would surely get its expenses back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by mfm04622: 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2022
GardenOfGod:
Laughable...
Revenue that will be looted by our evil and corrupt politicians. Nonsense!

OBI-DATTI is the answer.
Vote wisely

So, you preferred a foreign company cheat us of our taxes? If Buhari get them to be paying this tax and Obi wins (God forbid), won't he get the benefit? Won't his govt continue to collect the tax?

I don't understand how Nigerians hate Nigeria this much!
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by prophetfire: 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2022
Beckham14:
First it was Twitter, now they're planning to sue Meta Platforms Incorporated (Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram)

. ARCON is doing the right thing. In USA and Europe, you can't just run an app without the government regulations and oversight.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Bollinga: 2:04pm On Oct 04, 2022
BATified2023:
u people will always display your ignorance everywhere u are found,people like u are best described as ignorantly aggressive

You are programmed to blame the government even when they are doing d right thing

Read n read again so u can have a better understanding of what the report is about

Oga you are just saying trash all over the thread. Facebook and all other advertising platforms are already paying their tax to federal government. Why is the federal government complaining of short of revenue. How is that the fault of Facebook who already complied by paying the stipulated tax the federal government demanded them to pay

1 Like

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by CheapHomes1: 2:05pm On Oct 04, 2022
casualobserver:

If I have to answer the question it means I am daft. Why? Because even an idiot can answer those questions and if you can’t answer those questions yourself, then nothing I will say will make you see sense meaning you are only here to argue and I would have been a fool for taking the bait and prolonging the argument with a retard beyond its shelf life. Goodbye!!!

If you saying an idiot can answer my questions, it means you are lower than an idiot for not being able to answer my questions.

You aren't daft for answering the questions. You are daft for making the statements that produced the questions.

Hence...What is the correlation between hating government and being unpatriotic?

1 Like

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by folks4luv(f): 2:19pm On Oct 04, 2022
BATified2023:

Lol. You are ranting about how people are saying wrong things while you refuse to say the right things yourself.
1. What laws are in place to cover ads over the cyberspace?
2. Talking about govt losing revenue, facebook advertisers from Nigeria are now subject to 7.5% tax. For every ad i run, i pay tax. So what loss of revenue are they ranting about?
The truth is, the social media has limited the powers of traditional media, including advertising. Instead of these loud people to sit up, tackle the challenges, take advantage like other nations are doing, they are running to court.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by folks4luv(f): 2:22pm On Oct 04, 2022
Simplymax:
FG is right on this. Facebook should pay. They've been hash on Nigerian E-commerce Operators. It's unfair.

And who told you Nigerian advertisers are not paying tax? I pay tax for every adverts i run on Facebook and instagram

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by SaLongs1(m): 2:32pm On Oct 04, 2022
Beckham14:

go check BBC Hausa on Facebook make you see something
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by koladebrainiac(m): 2:33pm On Oct 04, 2022
Beckham14:

Nothing concerns aboki with social media.
really we need to sue Facebook n Google too. the way they constantly direct loan advert to you eh, it's insane.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by blueAgent(m): 2:59pm On Oct 04, 2022
[quote author=casualobserver post=117263377].

If I have to answer the question it means I am daft. Why? Because even an idiot can answer those questions and if you can’t answer those questions yourself, then nothing I will say will make you see sense meaning you are only here to argue and I would have been a fool for taking the bait and prolonging the argument with a retard beyond its shelf life. Goodbye!!![/quote

Clown , answer the questions, ppl like you are the reason Nigeria and Africa is 3rd World.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by blueAgent(m): 3:00pm On Oct 04, 2022
Coldie:

U are clearly the one lacking brain cells, why is Nigeria overtaxing and over regulating companies.

Nigeria wants to tax companies more than developed world standards while providing little or zero infrastructures for their operations.

Facebook pays normal corporation taxes, then FG said subscribers or users of digital services should be paying 7.5% vat nobody talk, now they say for any promo or advert done by them must go through them.

Going through them isn’t the problem next thing u know they will put another fee for approval of adverts.

But if u ask the government if Facebook ceo can’t walk on the road without security nobody will answer, if u ask them can Facebook Nigeria be guaranteed 20hours electricity nobody will answer. All they are interested in is to collect

You dey mind the APC urchins with their low IQ.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Greenfusion: 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
Sincerely, like say na FG get Facebook and whatsapp....we for nor dey fit post anything at all.....do you know how much businesses benefit from the likes of facebook......the govt is not just creative, the only way they know to make money is to tax only.....APC govt has messed up big time, they don't deserve another term.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Promising5555: 3:54pm On Oct 04, 2022
No more midnight calls
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by TheOgaBoss: 4:13pm On Oct 04, 2022
GardenOfGod:
Laughable...
Revenue that will be looted by our evil and corrupt politicians. Nonsense!

OBI-DATTI is the answer.
Vote wisely
That is not the point, the point is the law must be obeyed like meta does in Europe and us.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by TheOgaBoss: 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2022
seunny4lif:
Lost of revenue to FG? Like how? shocked shocked shocked
Because election is near or what?
because meta is supposed to pay taxes, like other companies do, and like they do in other countries.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by GardenOfGod(m): 4:18pm On Oct 04, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
That is not the point, the point is the law must be obeyed like meta does in Europe and us.
That is the point. How many laws has your Buhari government obeyed since 2015?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Xiaomi Redmi 7 Unboxing And Full Review.Default Camera vs GCAM + Price (photos) / Breakdown Of Whatsapp Emoji / The Best Android Launchers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.