Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test (15353 Views)

A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 9:09am On Aug 16, 2011
I GOT THIS FROM THE NEWS HEADLINE AND JUST CURIOUS HOW THIS CUD BE.

Your view may help here. Are our materials not good enough compared to the 2.2 materials or is it an individual issue?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 9:41am On Aug 16, 2011
http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/26695-80-of-first-class-second-class-upper-applicants-failed-nnpc-exam-gmd

Written by Gbola Subair, Abuja
Tuesday, 16 August 2011

The just concluded recruitment examination conducted by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) recorded abysmal failure as 80 per cent of the applicants, who were mainly first class and second class upper graduates, failed the examination.

Group Managing Director of the NNPC, Mr Austen Oniwon, disclosed this on Monaday while declaring open the 9th NNPC National Quiz Competition in Abuja

Oniwon, who disclosed that the NNPC was currently carrying out a recruitment exercise, stated that the result of the recruitment examination was not as good as expected as 80 per cent of the so-called first class and second class upper graduates scored less than 20 per cent.

Represented by the Group General Manager, Public Affairs Division of the NNPC, Dr Levi Ajuonuma, the NNPC boss disclosed that this abysmal record did not only heighten the NNPC management’s apprehension about the lack of functionality of our education format but goes a long way to underscore the need to shift focus away from mere paper qualification.

Disclosing that it would no longer be business as usual in the NNPC, the Group Managing Director said reliance on people to secure employment in the organisation was now a thing of the past stressing that the NNPC now placed emphasis on brilliance.

Apart from the NNPC examination, the GMD said the recently recorded nationwide mass failure of candidates in WAEC and NECO exams made the call for the urgent review of our school system more pertinent.

He said only a functional education that is skilled-based, that adds value to the nation’s economy and takes into consideration the skill-gap that exists in our nation today is ideal for Nigeria of today.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 16, 2011
God save Nigeria,90% of our graduates are half baked. I wonder what coming years will look like ?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 10:24am On Aug 16, 2011
But from the above , it is logical to say that THE 2.2 AND LOWER GRADE GRADUATES are sharper. Hope i am intact?

Kayus43:

God save Nigeria,90% of our graduates are half baked. I wonder what coming years will look like ?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by aserena(f): 11:29am On Aug 16, 2011
Well considering the fact that there is favouritism and victimisation of students in our universities, I agree with the fact that 2.2 and below are sharper than these 1st class and 2.1 candidates.

On the other hand, will you blame them? It did not start today. It has eaten deep into our educational system, right from primary to university levels. If they had been taught that cheating is evil, then they would have worked hard enough to be able to defend their certificates. Little wonder why large companies give greater priority to graduates from overseas.

What should be worked upon, first of all, is the corruption. Then we can take things from there.

God help Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 16, 2011
Da Doctor:

But from the above , it is logical to say that THE 2.2 AND LOWER GRADE GRADUATES are sharper. Hope i am intact?

Absolutely Intact.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 11:50am On Aug 16, 2011
aserena:

Well considering the fact that there is favouritism and victimisation of students in our universities, I agree with the fact that 2.2 and below are sharper than these 1st class and 2.1 candidates.

On the other hand, will you blame them? It did not start today. It has eaten deep into our educational system, right from primary to university levels. If they had been taught that cheating is evil, then they would have worked hard enough to be able to defend their certificates. Little wonder why large companies give greater priority to graduates from overseas.

What should be worked upon, first of all, is the corruption. Then we can take things from there.

God help Nigeria.

I agree with you because i am in the academic line.
The issue boils down to corruption like you said, BUT most of these 2.1 or first class arent that good APTITUDE WISE, and that is waht the aptitude test teaches. I have a couple of dem that cram and deposit, but u never can deny them the marks.

But the 2.2 i belive come out with a feeling of disadvantage wanting to prove a good point which they eventually prove and has proved in this case
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by ednut1(m): 11:56am On Aug 16, 2011
@kayus because u had 2.2 u dy yarn dust, 2.2 wud hv performed lower. At least 20% passed and about 4% wuld be employed. Instead of coming here beefin dm, b4 u slam our skuls, foriegn trained students also wrote it nd failed also

1 Like

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 12:18pm On Aug 16, 2011
ednut1:

@kayus because u had 2.2 u dy yarn dust, 2.2 wud hv performed lower. At least 20% passed and about 4% wuld be employed. Instead of coming here beefin dm, b4 u slam our skuls, foriegn trained students also wrote it nd failed also

Take it easy Bro!

Be straight to point and clear
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2011
ednut1:

u talk about foriegn trained students, has it ever occurred to u how mediocre d so-called foreign skls nigerians attend abroad??hw many nigerians do u fink can afford d best skls abroad??i can authoritatively tell u dt some universities in nigeria are way betta dan some universities in england!!! Bt becos we attach so much importance to foreign certification, we tend to ignore d fact dt most of these foreign universities our wards attend arent dt good!!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 16, 2011
I keep saying it again and again. It's about time Nigerian's start laying emphasis on [i]skills [/i]and not paper qualification. Too bad.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 12:50pm On Aug 16, 2011
dademola:

u talk about foriegn trained students, has it ever occurred to u how mediocre d so-called foreign skls nigerians attend abroad??hw many nigerians do u fink can afford d best skls abroad??i can authoritatively tell u dt some universities in nigeria are way betta dan some universities in england!!! Bt becos we attach so much importance to foreign certification, we tend to ignore d fact dt most of these foreign universities our wards attend arent dt good!!

You have some points here. Though u arent 100% correct. Kudos!!

I have seen a junkie claiming to have schooled abroad but having nothing up there. Then i realised that money can do 'anything' at times. cos i guess he had the pay and advantage to have gone out. Conversely, i have seen a few of them coming in and being real gurus especially in the medical ,geophysical /geologicla and IT fields to mention but a few
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by ufumes(m): 12:51pm On Aug 16, 2011
interesting. Whose fault?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 12:52pm On Aug 16, 2011
ufumes:

interesting. Whose fault?

u shud know better. any clue?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by daddee: 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2011
Which examination are they talking about? Considering the way/manner it was conducted, would you call that an exam?

1 Like

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by lastpage: 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2011
dadee has a very valid point o! shocked
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 1:00pm On Aug 16, 2011
Matters not! compared to a few of the other exams it is still a good yard stick to a large extent or what do u think?

daddee:

Which examination are they talking about? Considering the way/manner it was conducted, would you call that an exam?

lastpage:

dadee has a very valid point o! shocked
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2011
ednut1:

Ednut baba,am still an undergraduate.currently seeking 4 admission in 2 unilorin dis yr.But I must tell u back in my sec.schl,most uni graduates who came 2 teach my schl weren't competent when interviewed.So most of dem are half baked
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Sirsuky(m): 1:05pm On Aug 16, 2011
grin grin i still dey laugh ooooooooo cos first no fit do am
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2011
If i was an employer, i wouldn't hire people based on their qualifications. Most of the first class graduates we have in Nigeria are mainly garbage in garbage out. No innovation, they lack ideas and have absolutely no clue at problem solving. All they do is read and pass unfortunately, that does not apply in business or enterprise. They only belong to the academia.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
Brand_new:

If i was an employer, i wouldn't hire people based on their qualifications. Most of the first class graduates we have in Nigeria are mainly garbage in garbage out. No innovation, they lack ideas and have absolutely no clue at problem solving. All they do is read and pass unfortunately, that does not apply in business or enterprise. They only belong to the academia.

I agree with you. BUT A FEW HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TOO. cool
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by chamber2(m): 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
u talk about foriegn trained students, has it ever occurred to u how mediocre d so-called foreign skls nigerians attend abroad??hw many nigerians do u fink can afford d best skls abroad??i can authoritatively tell u dt some universities in nigeria are way betta  dan some universities in england!!! Bt becos we attach so much importance to foreign certification, we tend to ignore d fact dt most of these foreign universities our wards attend arent dt good!!

Please name one. Don't just come here and spew rubbish. Someone made a statement without prove and you jumped in to generalise. If 2.1 or 1st class was that easy why couldn't you make one?I am not saying there are no good 2.2 products, but that doesn't mean we should discredit those who made 2.1 or 1st, no matter how they got it.

The same 2.1 and 1st class are passing private sector employment test not to talk of government employment test where the highest bidders get the questions first.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by lastpage: 1:09pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^daddee has a very valid point o! shocked

All the same, it takes more than just cramming to earn a 1st Class; You still have to be good, even if its at cramming or is cramming that easy? grin

I have noticed too that Second Lower people tend to be "all rounder" in later Life.
Not brilliant but not too dull, they are very determined to "prove a point after graduation" and tend to buckle-up real good.

Some fell to 2nd-lower not because they are not good but because they played-away during those early University days (and you know, G.P.A once destroyed in yr 1 & 2, is ten times more difficult to rebuild!).

On the other hand, "some" 1st-Class" may take it easy, after school thinking their Certificates should speak for them!

If l had to hire, which will l employ? 1st Class or 2nd -Class?

I will judge them by their "present attitude" to work, keen-ness, flair and intuitiveness.

The work place is a different ball game entirely!

BTW: Those organizations that screen-out 2nd Class students dont really know what they are missing!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2011
lastpage:

^^^daddee has a very valid point o! shocked

All the same, it takes more than just cramming to earn a 1st Class; You still have to be good, even if its at cramming or is cramming that easy? grin

I have noticed too that Second Lower people tend to be "all rounder" in later Life.
Not brilliant but not too dull, they are very determined to "prove a point after graduation" and tend to buckle-up real good.

Some fell to 2nd-lower not because they are not good but because they played-away during those early University days (and you know, G.P.A once destroyed in yr 1 & 2, is ten times more difficult to rebuild!).

On the other hand, "some" 1st-Class" may take it easy, after school thinking their Certificates should speak for them!

If l had to hire, which will l employ? 1st Class or 2nd -Class?

I will judge them by their "present attitude" to work, keen-ness, flair and intuitiveness.

The work place is a different ball game entirely!

BTW: Those organizations that screen-out 2nd Class students dont really know what they are missing!

Yes it is true to alarge extent. THEY COME OUT ANGRY AND DETERMINED TO PROVE A POINT. AND THEY ARE ZEALOUS AND TAKE THEIR OPPORTUNITIES AT ONE GO. KNOWING IT MAY NOT SHOW ITSELF AGAIN. BUT THE OTHER PEEPS(2.1, 1ND 1ST CLASS) THINK THEY HAVE MANY OPPORTUNITIES.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by chamber2(m): 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2011

Thank you jor
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Rhino5dm: 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2011
This is just a way of pushing off those that wrote the test. In a typical corruption style, top management staff of NNPC have succeeded in sending a false flag to create an avenue to replace the successful one with their own cronies. Only God knows the amount of NOTES right now on desk of GMD

Dont you ever look down on your ability by this " baba nla iro" or think that you have actually failed or whatever. You shouldn't be astonish if you know their modus operendi.

Braze up, raise your middle finger at NNPC, as this jamboree might turn out to be blessing for YOU. Just believe in your inner self and put this behind you, if you are a VICTIM . Friendly Advised.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by BigMeat2: 1:14pm On Aug 16, 2011
I think it wasn't possible for the candidates to cheat in these tests, hence the massive failure rate.

Companies in Nigeria should partner with universities on how courses should be run, as the federal government is not capable of doing anything position with the educational system.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by chamber2(m): 1:19pm On Aug 16, 2011
@Rhino.5dm

Good points. I don't know why we Nigerians tend to be naive sometimes.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by 195(f): 1:20pm On Aug 16, 2011
whats NNPC angry angry
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Jouslaw(m): 1:24pm On Aug 16, 2011
when wil the list of qualify applicant wil be out,
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2011
190_@:

whats NNPC  angry angry

Typicality of your post that results to the bashing of you in this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-736492.0.html

@ Topic, Nigeria graduates are now a joke
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 16, 2011
Brand_new:

I keep saying it again and again. It's about time Nigerian's start laying emphasis on [i]skills [/i]and not paper qualification. Too bad.
Seconded !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What You Passed Through Before You Were Admitted / 2016/2017 Uniben Direct Entry Update / Report Writing - The Purpose Of Reports (part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.