Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,906 members, 7,835,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test (15373 Views)

A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by duke4ever: 7:05am On Aug 17, 2011
I want to ask: can a 2.2 still be a product for the classroom(as in lecture - be a lecturer)? If yes, how can it be achieved?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Tjluv: 8:32am On Aug 17, 2011
Why beefing first class graduates? I put it to you that no mediocre can graduate with a first class no matter how beautiful,rich and influnencial they may be. A large percent of candidate wrote that test with the torchlight on their phones. Most of the people saying poo bout first class graduates, would not have performed any better too in that test.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Obinoscopy(m): 8:49am On Aug 17, 2011
Please fellas lets give NNPC a break. Being a Nigerian organisation there is no gainsaying the fact that they're corrupt a bit. But I'd also like to say that they're not as corrupt as you think as regards the just concluded interview they conducted, at least not yet.
I wrote the written exam and I was convinced that I performed well because I finished before time and my answers were accurate. I was eventually called for the interview. I also know of many people like that who never knew any body in NNPC but were called up for the interview. Thus I think thus far they're on the right track. Lets just watch and see how everything plays out.
As regards our educational system, I think one of our major problem, aside corruption, is the method of teaching and assimilation. Our teachers encourage us to cram by loading us with unnecessary crap which they expect us to pour back at them in exactly the same format during exams. Thus our students just do crash program, they cram the lecturers voluminous notes and pour them in the exact words on the exam day. After 2 days ask them a question on the exam they wrote and they'll tell you they're forgotten.
I've always being an advocate of objective education and not the subjective type where students are at the mercy of their teachers.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by bolla1129(m): 9:09am On Aug 17, 2011
it happened cos must pple limited themself to the school things alone,so many things u have to learn outside the 4walls of ur classroom.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 9:23am On Aug 17, 2011
duke4ever:

I want to ask: can a 2.2 still be a product for the classroom(as in lecture - be a lecturer)? If yes, how can it be achieved?

Yes you can, but you wud do your MSC then enrol For Phd before being admitted. Though with an MSC you may be considered and offered further admission in some uni. UNI DIFFERENT FROM UNI BUT NA SAME NUC GUIDELINE DEY APPLICABLE
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Iyykanu: 10:20am On Aug 17, 2011
I made a 3rd class. And that is what I deserved men. The 1st and 2:1 guys are something else and out of this world. Everybody must not go to school. I did not want but was forced. I was even happy I graduated with 3rd class not pass. The 1 and 2:1 are better by far , than the 2:2 and 3 like us. We are dumbs.If 80% of 1 & 2: 1 failed the so-called test. Then people like us would have been 100% failure. My humble opinion.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Jaggiey: 10:45am On Aug 17, 2011
Hi all,

I have read through all the comments and contributions by everybody. You have all spoken. Some spoke well while others spoke out of grievances and biases. I blame no one. Bitter experiences can influence perspectives; I have seen and met people who missed good grades narrowly. Such people will be bitter; infact very cynical and envious of those that have what they wished to have but never had. Such people's opinion is bound to be subjective and negative. But do we know this does not change anything?

For those who have the good grades ( 2.1 and 1st), congrats! Reading through the comments by those who have been maliciously disadvantaged, I am sure that you would boil with anger but you will only understand if you were in their shoes. There comments do not change the fact that you are good and have been exceptional. You are what you believe.

I must quickly commend the wisdom expressed by chamber2, Of all contributions, he impressed me the most; mature and forthright thinking.

With all sense of modesty, I finished with a 1st class(UNILAG 2005 Pol.Sci), I have other awards, wrote the same NNPC test and passed, had the interview yesterday and hope for the best but the scathing comments  I have read do not change my worth. I believe before people speak and rubbish others, they should think well.  

My submission is 95% of those with good grades actually deserve it. And  by having a lesser grade, if given another opportunity, I am sure such individuals can do better. Intellect, skisls and knowledge are progressive elements, meaning they can be expanded by conscious efforts.

I hope 2.2 and less will stop rubbishing 1st and 2.1 while the latter group  smileyalso will not be slighted by earlier comments.

Enjoy the discussion.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by TenKobo1: 11:48am On Aug 17, 2011
Where are the infrastructure that support quality education in Nigeria universities? the fact is that they don't exist. paper qualitfication has forever been the most deceitful form of qualification at least in Nigeria. chances exist that Ninety percent of those examined by NNPC got their grades ''extra curricularly'' and that means greasing palms at every turn or sexually transmitted degrees (STDs apology Okey Ndibe) if they happen to be ladies. Our versities should take a look at what the rest of the world are doing, Research, Research and more researches, that's the only way out.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by bioscom(m): 2:04pm On Aug 17, 2011
niviso:

While in the secondary school way back in 1989 to 1991, I personally practicalized Physics principles and got results, I won awards and was respected by my Indian physics teacher. In the University I graduated in 2000 with very high 2.1 grades narrowly missing a first class. My brothers and sisters, I practically wept after that test by NNPC. It was just O'Level Physics, It downed on me that as a human my brain is just imperfect, it forgot even very simple sound wave and light formulas.
But come to think of it, how will I remember when I have spent the past 12 years living in pains and agony inflicted by the same system that is blaming me. With children and a wife to care for? Now will they ask me why I got married in the first place? Then they will be depriving me of the joy of fatherhood in a failed world. A world where equal opportunities does not exist.
I can stand my own any where? They shouds have used real apptitude test questions, not even the GMAT's of this world, becos that too can be memorised by good cramers. I can practically do any interllectual job and fit in any where.
The organizers of that test were not fair at all. I wrote mine under darkness. Sorry for those of us who still believe in the system.
Sorry! Sorry!! Sorry!!!
Somebody I know committed suicide some weeks back for the this failed world. Sorry for the world and all the hypocrisy and deceit. Sorry

This, I mentioned yesterday. Asking 10-15yrs old graduate to write an SSCE test is not the best way to get the best, but it is a good way to reduce the number of applicants.
This is to say that, when you graduate, concious and continuous effort to refresh brain is very important.

This experience will continue to repeat itself until we have very large pool of jobs in Nigeria that employers begin to steal professionals from other companies. But whem will that be?

I think the way we can help ourselves is to give back to the society what it has given us. For instance, the education is decaying on daily basis, we are expecting the Government to do something.
The very best Physics and Mathematics guys are not ready to help. If we have been involved in giving back to the society what we have gained, by teaching at freelance level, what we know in secondary school subjects, we will always be ready for any test of this nature.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by duke4ever: 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

Yes you can, but you wud do your MSC then enrol For Phd before being admitted. Though with an MSC you may be considered and offered further admission in some uni. UNI DIFFERENT FROM UNI BUT NA SAME NUC GUIDELINE DEY APPLICABLE

Thanks so much DA DOCTOR. I am processing for my msc in unizik now. But must one hit 'distinction' in order 2 stand a chance of becoming a teacher @ such high level? Pls I need ur encouragement as an experience person in da field. One more thing pls, if I could have ur email address it'll be nice so we can use it rather than here. Once more, thanks!!! use it rather than here. Once more, thanks!!!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by DaDoctor: 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2011
duke4ever:

Thanks so much DA DOCTOR. I am processing for my msc in unizik now. But must one hit 'distinction' in order 2 stand a chance of becoming a teacher @ such high level? Pls I need your encouragement as an experience person in da field. One more thing pls, if I could have your email address it'll be nice so we can use it rather than here. Once more, thanks!!! use it rather than here. Once more, thanks!!!

In this field the GPA's matter a lot!! Especially when there is competition

Do the best u can and be the best you can be
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Iyykanu: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
The point is that good grade is still the best. Nobody wants to come last. I will not say becos of 3rd class and talk down on 2:1. and 1. These areguys are machines. I can't read for 5 mins. Some read thru the night. How they do it I don't know. I worship them men. If you give me 2:1 , I will take but I cannot defend it O, ho ha. I be dundee.

My children must make 1 or 2:1 or 2:2 since it is still better than my 3.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by duke4ever: 5:50pm On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

In this field the GPA's matter a lot!! Especially when there is competition

Do the best u can and be the best you can be
[b][/b] Thanks Da Doctor, I promise 2 give it my very best. I will definitly get there.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Iyykanu: 6:02pm On Aug 17, 2011
I want ot make first class , how?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Obinoscopy(m): 7:14pm On Aug 17, 2011
Iyykanu:

I want ot make first class , how?

I thought you said u graduated with a 3rd class? How do you intend converting it to first class? Well the only option for you is to go back to school!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by emafa(m): 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2011
The exams atmosphere wasn't favorable 4 a gud result! I'm nt surprise only 20% made it 2 d interview stage! I wish them Luck.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by adanny01(m): 1:45am On Aug 18, 2011
Another relationship can be developed from the fact that the standards of schools are not the same. Some 1st class are worth 2.2 or worst in other schools and vice versa. The same way private secondary schs spoiled the sec sch system is the same way these private universities will soon do to the university system. Private sec schs produce better results so students moved to them to make their papers. Those who could not afford private education cheated and did all they can to make their papers. At the end no one wants to read but everybody wants to pass. Our universities are definitely going down like the sec sch system. Time will tell.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by ebogentle(m): 2:38am On Aug 18, 2011
Hmm. 80% scored 20% or less.
Anybody else thinking what I am thinking?
Pareto principle. Although this is an unusual form of it.
lol
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Iyykanu: 7:38am On Aug 18, 2011
even if i go back, it is not guaranteed. obino i need guarantee from you that i will make 1
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Obinoscopy(m): 9:20am On Aug 18, 2011
Iyykanu, making a 2.1 or 2.2 is possible. Its all about discipline and hardwork.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Iyykanu: 10:56am On Aug 18, 2011
Obino, it is talent, gift. People like you are gifted from above. Why is it that people like you read small and smash, while people like us put leg in water, drink nescafe, read in the library for hours yet nothing. Is that not hard work. You are blessed. It is ur talent and I have to respect that. I cannot be like you, may be my children,but I want first class or 2;1.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by lastpage: 3:08pm On Aug 18, 2011
Lets all relax, its not a "war of class".
First, whatever you "came out with" in your first degree, is what you came out with, thats what you DESERVE, given the "circumstances" at which you operated!
Again, for a lot of reasons (diet, genetics, training, "resources invested by parents", environment, teenage exuberance, lack of focus, e.t.c), you may not be as "intellectually sound" as that other person you're comparing yourself with!
Some people are, simply put, "naturally smart and academically brilliant", unfortunately, l dont fall into that category! tongue.

That you made a 3rd class in your first degree does not mean you're "finished" academically (Ask the Wole Soyinka's or the Bill Gates of this world).

Challenge yourself, if you think "you're better" than that 3rd class you made at Bachelors level.
I have seen a 3rd class mathematics student who enrolled for JAMB again and came out with 1st class Accountancy afterwards!

But then, even though the "class" matters a lot and[b] RESPECT[/b] should be given to those who worked hard and earned it, in the "Business World", performance is much more than just the "class" you achieved at the University!

No beefing one another here, "ibi ori dani'si la'gbe! (it is where your destiny puts you that you should make the best of, literally speaking)

@Duke4ever
This is just for YOU ONLY:
I also want to encourage you, as l can feel your determination!
I am way into my PhD programme and l can tell you that l also finished with a 2-2! grin I lecture full time and part time students too as part of the Doctoral degree requirements but l have kept my job in the "industry" as well.

What l did was to take a "good look" at my abilities and l came to the conclusion that "l could do better" than what l reflected in my 1st degree, (ignorance, truancy and football costs me a "better class" in my first degree! And l dey "mojoo" no be small too! shocked shocked wink

First, l applied for a PGD programme to "mask" that Bsc qualification and really showed what l am capable of!
The following year, based on an astounding PGD results, l put in for an MSc and rapped it up in standard one year.
I took to some low-level jobs in the mean time, so that l can put food on the table (No marriage for me yet! wink )
I then put in for an MBA programme as l wanted to fit in the business world proper. That too, l did within the two years and was a distinction student.

I then secured a very lucrative job with one of the top salary private organizations in Nigeria (l am trying to remain anonymous as much as possible, you know wink ).
After working for a few years, l enrolled for my PhD, using my "post-BSc qualifications and work experience".

I hope to finish soon but remember, l was just an ordinary 2-2 graduate!

If l can make such "progress", YOU CAN DO BETTER!

Be focused, be ready to sacrifice for what you believe in and "sleep, dream and wake-up" to that your set goal. YOU WILL ACHIEVE IT SOONER THAN YOU THINK.

Goodluck.

Lastpage.

I would have loved to send this message to you as a "P.M" but l have not been able to use that stuff here on N/Land! I dont feel comfortable discussing my private life openly like this! (Two FaceBook guys just got 4yrs for "advertising U.K Riots shocked )
Every other person should please disregard the above message, its utter rubbish.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by WhyAWhy(m): 5:23pm On Aug 18, 2011
@Lastpage: I love your determination and contribution.

This is a sincere heart who knows what he wants

I think people should learn to look away from the past, if you've made a mistake, the brush is still in your own hands to rewrite your story.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Iyykanu: 5:47pm On Aug 18, 2011
Umu Nna.
Akwu akwu na atu uto,
ma o na aru ghu na nmuta,
onye were nkasi obi ,
O ga amuta akwukwo
ma o buru na Nne gi na Nna nwere ego,

My igbo brothers shld break this down.No be me sing am. Na for primary 1 I begin hear am
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by loma(m): 8:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
Got this from a friend. Hope it clarifies the discussion.

While I agree the quality education is steadily declining, I dont think the performance of the graduates at the NNPC test could be used as a yardstick. I wrote the NNPC test and it is actually a disappointment.

Two things are responsible for the low performance, and neither is the fault of the applicants.

First of all, the questions were basically jamb questions and nobody was expecting that. The previous test was technical, discipline-based. After spending 5 yrs in a uni, how do u expect engineering and sciences graduates to remember jamb physics, chemistry and biology.

But the second and more important factor was that the test was conducted at various centres throughout the nation and it was decided that all centers must start and stop at the same time. This led to the late commencement in all centers. In my center, people arrived as early as nine but we did not start until to six in the evening. Several centers started even later. To compound it, most centers did not have functioning lightings and for those that had(like my hall), no nepa.

So we had to be using the torchlight or backlight on our phones. In some halls, applicants had to light candles.

Believe it or not, this was general throughout the nation, as I read poeple's comments online after the test. It was a complete mess.

Although I passed the test (chiefly because I teach a jamb class and thus most of the questions were very familiar), but the conduct of the test is very unprofessional. Graduates are either tested based on disciplines or using a gmat-based aptitude test, not o-level subjects. Even those of us that applied for experienced hire wrote the same test. And experienced hire applicants are required to have a minimum of five yrs experience!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Slimgee22(m): 6:51pm On Nov 04, 2011
Infact d fault is 4rm employers over emphasis on qualification rada dan skilz.
Hence, naija students wil rapoul wit anytin 2bang on anytin dat wil give dem high grades weda positive or negative., wit tyme tins go change, den it wil b, 'wat cn u do? Not, 'wat ar ur qualification?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by MercyLady(f): 4:59am On Jun 04, 2015
Hi, i would like to know. Why do people look down or hate on first class graduates?
Sometimes, it is almost incomprehensible that the next person beside you or a neighbor is rating you down because you are a first class.
Even worse if you are a private university graduate.
Most people quickly point out practical skills as if it can't be acquired by any first class student.
We all know the good guys acquire special stills outside the classroom - which is not restricted graduates without first class.
They can't just believe you can graduate with a first class and also be practically equipped easily.
I believe first class students / graduates are not robots that can be evaluated within a short minute or just by observation.
Meanwhile, with the backing of good role models, personal development, financial support from loved ones, etc. a first class may also be the best candidate for a job both in terms of practical skills or whatever condition expected.
I have seen people who said and wrote that they intentionally doesn't want a first class grade.
I also believe the quality of education system should be reflected in the grades of the student.
In most of the top universities in the world, a high percentage of students gets good grades, distinction because all the things required to achieve that are effective and well utilized and organized.
Bad grades should not depict good quality but a questionable one.
Guys what do you think about this ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2016/2017 Uniben Direct Entry Update / Report Writing - The Purpose Of Reports (part 1) / University Of Port Harcourt To Start Examinations In 10 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.