Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People (4421 Views)

How Scammers Bypass Your One Time Password Protect / Do Airtel Now Charge For Using *737# Now? / Gtbank Introduces The 737 Mobile App, To Make Banking Services A Lot Easier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Flango: 3:42pm On Oct 07, 2022
It happened to me too. In my case, the number was linked to both my GTB and Zenith bank. They kept buying 10k airtime from my GTB account until they cleared it. They bought only once from Zenith. Zenith bank has a maximum recharge of 3000 per day. I think that's fair. I don't know who buys airtime of 10k almost every hour and yet the useless bank keeps approving it. Even if you're calling the whole Nigeria.

Common sense requires that when airtime purchase is excessive, such and account should be flagged. How much calls can one possibly make in a day? That experience has made me trust Zenith bank more in terms of security. I hardly use the GTB account these days.

1 Like

Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by MrJavaS: 4:42pm On Oct 07, 2022
1Alex:

Simply activate SIM lock on your sim. Once the phone is restarted or the sim is inserted in another device, it will require sim pin to function.
You are still missing my point, even if sim lock is enabled some scammers can still use PC to unlock your phone (especially if it is a mediated device) and then buy airtime....Or would a SIM lock be prompted when you unlock your phone?
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by MrJavaS: 4:45pm On Oct 07, 2022
Flango:
It happened to me too. In my case, the number was linked to both my GTB and Zenith bank. They kept buying 10k airtime from my GTB account until they cleared it. They bought only once from Zenith. Zenith bank has a maximum recharge of 3000 per day. I think that's fair. I don't know who buys airtime of 10k almost every hour and yet the useless bank keeps approving it. Even if you're calling the whole Nigeria.

Common sense requires that when airtime purchase is excessive, such and account should be flagged. How much calls can one possibly make in a day? That experience has made me trust Zenith bank more in terms of security. I hardly use the GTB account these days.

Seriously, what annoys me is that they know scammers exploit it but would still not password protect it. Just look at how I was cheated.
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by silibaba: 4:54pm On Oct 07, 2022
royalair:
Sorry op, to avoid all these just set a pin on your Sim. Even if you lose your phone the sim is useless to them because it is pin protected.
thats only when the thief shut the phone down.
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by silibaba: 5:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
MMempire:
This is why I move my money to my Opay or Kuda account. No USSD. No way to move my money cause I don't move up and down with the phone that have the apps on it. And even then, the apps are hidden from all other apps just in case someone else get hold of the phone.

Oil dey your head.

Even if you lost your phone or debit card, is almost useless to the person who picked it up.

You can even block your kuda visacard via the app.

1 Like

Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by thundervirus(m): 8:12pm On Oct 07, 2022
The best is to put a pin code on ur sim card. That is what I did

1 Like

Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by sofiscatedmoron: 8:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
laluski:

That means your phone was either not an Android phone or an Android phone that had no password
U be olodo,,
They remove ur sim and put in a small phone and dial 737
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by sofiscatedmoron: 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
Collins4u1:
the solution is put your phone in Pin lock!
Sim not phone

1 Like

Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by 1Alex: 9:45pm On Oct 07, 2022
MrJavaS:

You are still missing my point, even if sim lock is enabled some scammers can still use PC to unlock your phone (especially if it is a mediated device) and then buy airtime....Or would a SIM lock be prompted when you unlock your phone?
sim and phone are not the same thing. They will remove the sim from the phone and insert it in another phone. If sim lock is active, they can't use the sim anywhere

1 Like

Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by ibawon(m): 10:15pm On Oct 07, 2022
What you need to do is set a PIN on your SIM. If your SIM is taken out to put into another device it will request for a PIN.
Secondly disable lock Screen notifications so if a message is sent to the SIM eg. OTP, it won't display fully on the lockscreen. That's my little security tip
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by laluski(m): 10:25pm On Oct 07, 2022
sofiscatedmoron:

I be olodo,,
They remove my sim and put in a small phone and dial 737
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by laluski(m): 10:27pm On Oct 07, 2022
sofiscatedmoron:

U be olodo,,
They remove ur sim and put in a small phone and dial 737

No wonder...your moniker says it all.
Christ died for your sins
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by royalair(m): 10:47pm On Oct 07, 2022
silibaba:
thats only when the thief shut the phone down.
true though. It's better to have a phone security code and a pin too.
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by royalair(m): 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2022
bomasek:
Can you tell us how to do it
call your CC service and request for your Sim pin and puk. You will be asked some security questions. If they are satisfied your pin and puk will be made known to you
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Efeboyi: 7:52am On Oct 08, 2022
Owologbo:

If you go to your phone settings, you will see SIM lock under security.
MTN default pin is 0000; after in putting the default pin, they will ask you to put a new PIN.
put something you can remember, because your SIM will be locked after 3 times putting wrong pin.

What about Airtel default pin?
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Owologbo(m): 7:55am On Oct 08, 2022
Efeboyi:

What about Airtel default pin?
I think it should be 1111; I'm not too sure though. But if you tried it once and it didn't work, please don't try it again o.
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Efeboyi: 7:58am On Oct 08, 2022
Owologbo:

I think it should be 1111; I'm not too sure though.
But if you tried it once and it didn't work, please don't try it again o.

Thanks boss
Just tried it now, it's correct
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Owologbo(m): 8:03am On Oct 08, 2022
Efeboyi:

Thanks boss Just tried it now, it's correct
You welcome brother.
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Owologbo(m): 8:05am On Oct 08, 2022
sofiscatedmoron:
Sim not phone
both is advisable though. but to transfer airtime, one needs pin na.
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by MrJavaS: 3:29pm On Oct 11, 2022
Owologbo:

both is advisable though.
but to transfer airtime, one needs pin na.
If you don't use the share and sell service,they can reset your pin 1234 default and still transfer the airtime
Re: How Scammers Use 737 To Defraud People by Owologbo(m): 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2022
MrJavaS:

If you don't use the share and sell service,they can reset your pin 1234 default and still transfer the airtime
That's if you are yet to register your pin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mtn Free Browsin. / Twitter Tells Employees They Can Now Work From Home 'forever' / Please I Need The Default Login For Cyberspace Cir-st20 Router

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.