Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Should I Quit My Job? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Quit My Job? (1639 Views)

"I Quit My Job To Submit To My Husband" / I do not feel loved by my wife, Is this enough reason to quit my marriage? / My Marriage Is Falling Apart And My Wife Wants To Sabotage My Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit My Job? by gbaskiboy: 11:03pm On Oct 08, 2022
My current salary is 70k, work in Yaba, Lagos. I have a baby girl who will soon be a year old. Sometime, I do side hustle to augment the salary but side hustle does not come often and is affecting the salary. Many times I borrowed to keep floating till month ends and when month ends i would pay for previous debt and continue same way. I have tried to see if I will get a car to venture into car hailing service all effort to get a car was abortive. I spoke to a friend who drives minibus popularly known as korope and he promised to get one for me before this month ends. I discuss it with my wife that I want to quit my job to venture into commercial driving business she was hell bent that the work is dirty and it will bring no respect for me. Am a little bit confused, just thinking how long will I keep up with meagre salary with heaps of bills and other household needs to cater for? What should I do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by doggedfighter(f): 11:08pm On Oct 08, 2022
Maybe your wife was attracted to you because of your white collar job.

She should know that hunger and poverty don't have a single respect !

She respect over daily earnings.

Hunger and poverty are brutal teachers.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by slan87(m): 11:09pm On Oct 08, 2022
Owo ni koko brother, so far your hustle is legit n pay your bills. Forget the dirty n respect, na person way dey pay bills steady n regular dey earn respect.
Imagine you are not able to carter for the house for just a day, God forbid. Na the same woman go tell you to accept the korope offer, think twice

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Honeybadgerxx: 11:10pm On Oct 08, 2022
Your wife is not been reasonable here, Ignore her and start the business

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by pocohantas(f): 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2022
Suffer no dey tire your wife?

I discuss it with my wife that I want to quit my job to venture into commercial driving business she was hell bent that the work is dirty and it will bring no respect for me.

I have seen neat commercial bus drivers. They were not only neat, but they were also quite courteous. So courteous that you would hope to enter their bus again. It is lack of money that would bring the main disrespect if you don’t fix it ASAP.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Kobojunkie: 11:38pm On Oct 08, 2022
gbaskiboy:
I spoke to a friend who drives minibus popularly known as korope and he promised to get one for me before this month ends. I discuss it with my wife that I want to quit my job to venture into commercial driving business she was hell bent that the work is dirty and it will bring no respect for me. Am a little bit confused, just thinking how long will I keep up with meagre salary with heaps of bills and other household needs to cater for? What should I do?
If your wife is currently not doing anything, tell her to go get a job so that if you eventually quit and your plan falls through, there is at least one other source of income flowing into the household. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Weirdcamila: 1:51am On Oct 09, 2022
You can be a driver and still be neat.
You can wear suits and drive

I don’t know who made it a rule for Nigeria drivers to be dirty , it seems like a major qualification for drivers.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Nobody: 1:53am On Oct 09, 2022
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 09, 2022
How old is your wife?

Seems she's still living in lala land. reality has not struck her that's why she can still be picky about jobs. When the nitty-gritty hits her, she'll know that it's no longer about white collar jobs these days but survival.

By the way, what is she doing to support you? Or is she just pushing you alone out there to go and hustle for the familys every need?
It's a joint thing. Tell her to join you cos you can't do it alone otherwise you'll run down.
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Wizywiz(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2022
Op is your wife working?
How much is she bringing to assist the family?

Take the mini bus and continue your Hussle life hard.... overlook what ur wife is saying oooo...seems reality never clear her doubt ....
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by frozen70(f): 1:36pm On Oct 09, 2022
gbaskiboy:
My current salary is 70k, work in Yaba, Lagos. I have a baby girl who will soon be a year old. Sometime, I do side hustle to augment the salary but side hustle does not come often and is affecting the salary. Many times I borrowed to keep floating till month ends and when month ends i would pay for previous debt and continue same way. I have tried to see if I will get a car to venture into car hailing service all effort to get a car was abortive. I spoke to a friend who drives minibus popularly known as korope and he promised to get one for me before this month ends. I discuss it with my wife that I want to quit my job to venture into commercial driving business she was hell bent that the work is dirty and it will bring no respect for me. Am a little bit confused, just thinking how long will I keep up with meagre salary with heaps of bills and other household needs to cater for? What should I do?

Since your wife feels it's derogatory for you to be a bus driver, put down thr family expenses

Share it into five portions andet her chose two or three portions while you handle the rest abs the invisible ones

If you are lucky she picks feeding, you are free from feeding wahala

Then get accommodations that you can afford to pay the rent convinently
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by NoToPile: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2022
My own question is while driving the korope will you make what is up to your 70k salary monthly after removing expenses involved in the salary job(tfare)

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by cayorday89(m): 6:46am On Oct 10, 2022
gbaskiboy:
OP, your wife is only thinking about herself and do not really care about you doing it as a dirty job or not but because for diverse reasons one of which is, she does not want to be asked her husband's occupation and she having to tell them he is a commercial driver, it is you that knows what you will benefit and yours is to provide and also make savings for the future which the current job is not guaranteeing you..

Please make the move and for you not to annoy her, make the plans, quit the job and tell her you were sacked and you now have no other option than to do the driving work..

Met a man recently, he has his personal car, house and still have the bus he uses for business, he carried my goods and I paid him 4000 on goods that I might likely not make a profit of more than 5k on top and he got in a day from me alone don't know how much he will collect from others ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by emmanuelbrown26: 8:27am On Oct 10, 2022
gbaskiboy:
MEHNNNN, U ARE NOT MAN ENOUGH IN YOUR HOUSE.
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by texannaija: 9:06am On Oct 10, 2022
NoToPile:
My own question is while driving the korope will you make what is up to your 70k salary monthly after removing expenses involved in the salary job(tfare)

He will make more “if” he is not lazy.
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by jasper83: 10:20am On Oct 10, 2022
gbaskiboy:

This is a very tricky and sensitive issue. Firstly I most commend you for your sincerity analysing your financial problem, which led to a soul searching for you.

That's a right step in the right direction, unlike some people who are not objective but rather keep hoping till thy kingdom come for manna to fall from heaven to double their earnings, but you took the bull by the horn by asking great minds around you on how to turn things around hence the advice of the mini bus, weldone, nah responsible man you be.

Now to the crux of the matter, I have been in this situation before like 8 years ago, apart from the objection raised by your wife which I believe it's bore out of being myopic of her side other factors need to be considered, like:

1. Lagos government frowns at commercial buses operation and that's the truth, forget the money the drivers claim they make, LASTMA penalty can wipe your 3 weeks savings in a day. Lagos is hostile to small businesses, the hawks are too much picking on chicks without mercy. You may Park in set back on the high way and taskforce will still tow your vehicle to Alausa without offending them just because they are empowered by laws. This brings back sad memories for me, but God took me out of Lagos to another region through corporate job, when these same enforcement agencies frustrated my life to the point of depression, I had to dust my university certificate again applied and miraculously a multinational dusted me and gave my life a turnaround and sent me to the South east region. It's almost 7 years I left Lagos.

During our time then, it's Vanagon buses that was in vogue and not this mini buses, I thought transportation isn't my destiny because that's what people say when the wahala is too much. Bros as a stranger here I tried it again because my job is an upward and mobile type and voila I bought two mini buses and I'm doing well on them as a side hustle with drivers managing it effectively, bought two Daihatsu turbo in 2020 for 950k each and the drivers are almost through with their payments.

I heard the.buses are like 1.4 million now, so what I'm saying is the business i can't do in Lagos due to hostility is thriving for me here in the East even as a yoruba man. My drivers dey deliver 20k weekly, I heard Lagos own nah 25k but who that one help with agbero and LASTMA with taskforce wahala. But here it's cool and simple, no incursion from external forces. Here you can predict your cash flow of the business.

When wahala start you will so cherish that your 70k job.

Now what me I did before quitting mine then because I was earning this same amount around 2013/2014, I didn't just leave like that because surely that money won't make you balance, its living hell from hand to mouth.

What I did was I tested the waters for close to a year, every weekend me and a friend will go to Obalende in a place they call 'Mayor' around Igbosere to go meet some contacts we know to give us vehicle for half a day, sometimes I do conductor my friend will do driver or we switch roles so with that, we dey make 5k each daily if we are lucky we may be giving the bus again on Sunday buy that's very rare because other groups too will solicitate for it. So by Monday I dey get roughly 7k to 8k to augment my family spend.

So go and try that angle first of doing part time on your weekend first to test the water which is very necessary, not all bus stops you see in that Lagos be real bus stop ooo, forget say passengers dey there, if you stop bro, LASTMA or taskforce go base your motor for impounding, your enemy go cry. Go and learn the rope, either conductor or driver for weekend try do am that's when you will know if it's something worth doing full time or not. It's deeper than what you think, what about if motor spoil nko, how do you repair when no other sources they again and commercial drivers hardly help themselves very funny set of people always broke because of their wasteful lifestyle. I'm just reminiscing on my past life and feel like crying but we thank God we didn't look like what we have been through. Find a means and do part time first and you will appreciate my advice. Don't be in a rush.

I wish you all the very best.

Cheers!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Starz825(m): 1:14pm On Oct 10, 2022
Some women Sha
Suffer no dey tire her

Person say him wan hustle..you say na dirty job..he no go bring respect....
Abeg help me ask her who respect help?
Abi na respect she wan chop
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Starz825(m): 1:21pm On Oct 10, 2022
jasper83:

This is a very tricky and sensitive issue. Firstly I most commend you for your sincerity analysing your financial problem, which led to a soul searching for you.

That's a right step in the right direction, unlike some people who are not objective but rather keep hoping till thy kingdom come for manna to fall from heaven to double their earnings, but you took the bull by the horn by asking great minds around you on how to turn things around hence the advice of the mini bus, weldone, nah responsible man you be.

Now to the crux of the matter, I have been in this situation before like 8 years ago, apart from the objection raised by your wife which I believe it's bore out of being myopic of her side other factors need to be considered, like:

1. Lagos government frowns at commercial buses operation and that's the truth, forget the money the drivers claim they make, LASTMA penalty can wipe your 3 weeks savings in a day. Lagos is hostile to small businesses, the hawks are too much picking on chicks without mercy. You may Park in set back on the high way and taskforce will still tow your vehicle to Alausa without offending them just because they are empowered by laws. This brings back sad memories for me, but God took me out of Lagos to another region through corporate job, when these same enforcement agencies frustrated my life to the point of depression, I had to dust my university certificate again applied and miraculously a multinational dusted me and gave my life a turnaround and sent me to the South east region. It's almost 7 years I left Lagos.

During our time then, it's Vanagon buses that was in vogue and not this mini buses, I thought transportation isn't my destiny because that's what people say when the wahala is too much. Bros as a stranger here I tried it again because my job is an upward and mobile type and voila I bought two mini buses and I'm doing well on them as a side hustle with drivers managing it effectively, bought two Daihatsu turbo in 2020 for 950k each and the drivers are almost through with their payments.

I heard the.buses are like 1.4 million now, so what I'm saying is the business i can't do in Lagos due to hostility is thriving for me here in the East even as a yoruba man. My drivers dey deliver 20k weekly, I heard Lagos own nah 25k but who that one help with agbero and LASTMA with taskforce wahala. But here it's cool and simple, no incursion from external forces. Here you can predict your cash flow of the business.

Now what me I did before quitting mine then because I was earning this same amount around 2013/2014, I didn't just leave like that because surely that money won't make you balance, its living hell from hand to mouth.

What I did was I tested the waters for close to a year, every weekend me and a friend will go to Obalende in a place they call 'Mayor' around Igbosere to go meet some contacts we know to give us vehicle for half a day, sometimes I do conductor my friend will do driver or we switch roles so with that, we dey make 5k each daily if we are lucky we may be giving the bus again on Sunday buy that's very rare because other groups too will solicitate for it. So by Monday I dey get roughly 7k to 8k to augment my family spend.

So go and try that angle first of doing part time on your weekend first to test the water which is very necessary, not all bus stops you see in that Lagos be real bus stop ooo, forget say passengers dey there, if you stop bro, LASTMA or taskforce go base your motor for impounding, your enemy go cry. Go and learn the rope, either conductor or driver for weekend try do am that's when you will know if it's something worth doing full time or not. It's deeper than what you think, what about if motor spoil nko, how do you repair when no other sources they again and commercial drivers hardly help themselves very funny set of people always broke because of their wasteful lifestyle. I'm just reminiscing on my past life and feel like crying but we thank God we didn't look like what we have been through. Find a means and do part time first and you will appreciate my advice. Don't be in a rush.

Cheers!

First-hand experience advisers are the best
Thanks..

Op come and see ooo

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by jasper83: 2:24pm On Oct 10, 2022
Starz825:

First-hand experience advisers are the best
Thanks..

Op come and see ooo

Bros can you imagine then, from Agege to Ikeja under bridge we dey pay 5,000 naira daily to Agbero. You will hit the road as early as 5: 00 am just to make so many trips before traffic will build do that when you finish paying Agbero money small change go remain.

Person dey work for Agbero like Elephant dey eat like ant, and you dare not challenge them, else dey might set you up by planting hard drug in your bus. Bros that industry in Lagos nah hell.

When I taya I repainted my bus from yellow to lekki Ajah colour so things were a bit better than Agege/Oshodi axis. But LASTMA and taskforce crippled us all on that Lekki Ajah corridor.

One day under Obalende bridge passengers were many so we didn't know the taskforce had laid ambush around Kalem Salem Police station, they just swooped on us and chain together like 20 Danfo buses from Obalende to taskforce office in Alausa, they damaged my gearbox, I cried like a baby. I was depressed and almost gave up on life. When I looked at my little son and the investment my widowed mum spent on me I encouraged myself to dust myself and today to the glory of God I'm progressing career wise.

Alhamdulilah!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by gbaskiboy: 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2022
jasper83:

Cheers!

I read your comment with deep insight, I really appreciate it, thank for the time spent to encourage me.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by austine4real(m): 7:42pm On Oct 10, 2022
Don't quit yet start looking for high paying jobs first .

U can start bus driving after close of work to augment ur income

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Henryfour(m): 12:51am On Oct 15, 2022
gbaskiboy:
My current salary is 70k, work in Yaba, Lagos. I have a baby girl who will soon be a year old. Sometime, I do side hustle to augment the salary but side hustle does not come often and is affecting the salary. Many times I borrowed to keep floating till month ends and when month ends i would pay for previous debt and continue same way. I have tried to see if I will get a car to venture into car hailing service all effort to get a car was abortive. I spoke to a friend who drives minibus

popularly known as korope and he promised to get one for me before this month ends. I discuss it with my wife that I want to quit my job to venture into commercial driving business she was hell bent that the work is dirty and it will bring no respect for me. Am a little bit confused, just thinking how long will I keep up with meagre salary with heaps of bills and other household needs to cater for? What should I do?

Pls transportation business isn't worth it, it's dirty and ur mentality wi change soon as u start . Agbero would make life unbearable to u , join sells, e-commerce company are paying big time u can make 300m monthly as commission
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Emylex: 1:08pm On Oct 15, 2022
jasper83:

Cheers!

best advice so far
Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Diligent1(f): 5:48pm On Oct 15, 2022
jasper83:

Bros can you imagine then, from Agege to Ikeja under bridge we dey pay 5,000 naira daily to Agbero. You will hit the road as early as 5: 00 am just to make so many trips before traffic will build do that when you finish paying Agbero money small change go remain.

Person dey work for Agbero like Elephant dey eat like ant, and you dare not challenge them, else dey might set you up by planting hard drug in your bus. Bros that industry in Lagos nah hell.

When I taya I repainted my bus from yellow to lekki Ajah colour so things were a bit better than Agege/Oshodi axis. But LASTMA and taskforce crippled us all on that Lekki Ajah corridor.

One day under Obalende bridge passengers were many so we didn't know the taskforce had laid ambush around Kalem Salem Police station, they just swooped on us and chain together like 20 Danfo buses from Obalende to taskforce office in Alausa, they damaged my gearbox, I cried like a baby. I was depressed and almost gave up on life. When I looked at my little son and the investment my widowed mum spent on me I encouraged myself to dust myself and today to the glory of God I'm progressing career wise.

Alhamdulilah!
All what you typed are true, my husband is currently doing this business. He has been arrested by police in my presence for parking in a place, that day I cried like a baby.
It is very frustrating, and no other options for now, a person can develop hypertension.

He always complain of how Agberos collect too much of money from him and he pays N40,000 weekly to the owner of the Korope which is not even Instalment.
He also said cult members also collect money from him.
To now pay children school fees is hard.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by gbaskiboy: 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2022
jasper83:

Alhamdulilah!
Hmmmmmm, you must have passed through a lot Bro, I wish you more progress in life

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job? by Kimiso(m): 9:00pm On Oct 16, 2022
gbaskiboy:
you find it hard to make manage of that 70k because you are a family man with kids to carter for may grace of god locate us

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Parents Won't Let Me Date A Man From Another Tribe / Is It A Crime 2touch Ur Pathners Fone? / Wives Submit To Your Husbands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.