Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike (24279 Views)

ASUU Suspends 8-Month-Old Strike Conditionally - ChannelsTV / ASUU Suspends Nine-Month-Old Strike / LAUTECH Expels Adeoti, Ex-Osun SSG’s Son, 3 Others, Suspends 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by politicoNG: 11:01am On Oct 14, 2022
The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Friday called off its eight-month-old strike.

However, the union in a press statement made available to The PUNCH noted that the issues in its disputes with the Federal Government were not well addressed.

The press release, which was signed by the National President of the union, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke, however, hailed the intervention of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila.

The statement partly read, “ The National Executive Council of ASUU held an emergency meeting at the Comrade Festus Iyayi National Secretariat, University of Abuja, Abuja, on Thursday, October 13, 2022”.

The union in its statement further noted that the Minister of Labour, Employment and Productivity, Chris Ngige, took the striking lecturers to court.

“The National Industrial Court, in its wisdom, gave an order compelling ASUU to resume work pending the determination of the substantive suit. Given the nature of the order, and in the opinion of our counsel, there was the need to appeal the interlocutory injunction granted against our union at the Court of Appeal.

“The Court of Appeal acknowledged the validity of the grounds of the union’s appeal but still upheld the order of the lower court and ordered our union to comply with the ruling of the lower court as condition precedent for the appeal to be heard.

“NEC noted the series of meetings with the leadership of the House of Representatives led by the Hon. Speaker, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, as well as intervention efforts of other well-meaning Nigerians both within and outside the government and the progress made so far.”

Speaking further on the status of negotiations, the union said, “While appreciating the commendable efforts of the leadership of the House of Representatives and other patriotic Nigerians who waded into the matter, NEC noted with regrets that the issues in dispute were yet to be satisfactorily addressed.

“However, as a law-abiding union and in deference to appeals by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), and in recognition of the efforts of Hon. Gbajabiamila, and other well-meaning Nigerians, ASUU NEC resolved to suspend the strike action embarked upon on February 14, 2022. Consequently, all members of ASUU are hereby directed to resume all services hitherto withdrawn with effect from 12:01 on Friday, October 14, 2022.”

https://punchng.com/breaking-our-issues-not-fully-addressed-says-ASUU/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1665739566

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Ebubu: 11:10am On Oct 14, 2022
meaning nothing was achieved rather time was wasted

an ovation last known when Abacha died will re-occur the day ASUU will be proscribed.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Ebubu: 11:11am On Oct 14, 2022
10 months strike two years ago

8 months strike this year

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Ebubu: 11:12am On Oct 14, 2022
ASUU should look for other means to drag FG example court cases, instead of industrial strike.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by IamDietiesGod: 11:14am On Oct 14, 2022
Ebubu:
ASUU should look for other means to drag FG example court cases, instead of industrial strike.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by LordIsaac(m): 11:25am On Oct 14, 2022
Eya
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by salbis(m): 11:33am On Oct 14, 2022
This ASUU and FG matter don tire people.

1 Like

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Yayital(m): 11:33am On Oct 14, 2022
Ok
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Opolopoopolonio: 11:33am On Oct 14, 2022
Sure!

You guys lost shamefully and had to resume. angry

20 Likes

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by FalseProphet1(m): 11:34am On Oct 14, 2022
I see another strike in the coming months, the strike would be the longest in the history of ASUU, I see universities being turned into farms and poultries, I see students forgetting their department, level and the course they're studying.

I turn to the East for answers and I see hope, I see Peter Obi winning next year's election, I see Nigeria becoming better than USA UK and Canada combined, I see whites struggling to come to Nigeria, I see our Visa becoming the most sort after in the world.

This I have seen.

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Throwback: 11:35am On Oct 14, 2022
It has suu ASUU.

Dem sef don tire from being idle and hungry.

Who go satisfy ASUU? Dem never born the person.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by sofeo(m): 11:35am On Oct 14, 2022
It's well with our nation!
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by NWANICHODE: 11:35am On Oct 14, 2022
So what do we do now?
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Chijeep(m): 11:35am On Oct 14, 2022
APC and Tinubu urch-ins if anyone of you can just name one BAD THING APC government haven't done then I promise I'll start campaigning for Tinubu

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by id4sho(m): 11:35am On Oct 14, 2022
sad
Let's sell this country

1 Like

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Curious345: 11:36am On Oct 14, 2022
No..

Could be a scam afterall..
JUST COLLECT THE 8MONTHS SALARY ARREARS, and restart the strike again ..

3 Likes

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by cerowo(f): 11:36am On Oct 14, 2022
I bet they will still go back to strike grin

2 Likes

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Afamed: 11:37am On Oct 14, 2022
Ebubu:

But ASUU just came out from court case with FG just a week ago now. Abi you no follow the news?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by GavelSlam: 11:37am On Oct 14, 2022
ASUU has lost any ounce of sympathy or credibility.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Bustincole(m): 11:38am On Oct 14, 2022
Clash of the TITAN

las las Na student go suffer am most

2 Likes

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by larryeffizy1(m): 11:38am On Oct 14, 2022
Many will resume with/on different status#

Waiting for different news in the Uni's
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Aify147(m): 11:38am On Oct 14, 2022
Mad ASUU. After all the gra gra, una allow this yeye government to in una. Mumu people. Buhari and Ngige and Osadoke are the new millennium fools.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 11:38am On Oct 14, 2022
Lool

Another strike next year

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Afamed: 11:39am On Oct 14, 2022
lol
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by MrBanner(m): 11:39am On Oct 14, 2022
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by emmabest2000(m): 11:39am On Oct 14, 2022
Wasted 8 months

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Angelfrost(m): 11:39am On Oct 14, 2022
The strike has not been called off Op.

They merely suspended it to allow for the agreements signed to be carried out as directed by the courts.

If your useless and 'uneducated' leaders fail to honor the agreement within the stipulated time, the strike resumes immediately!

14 Likes

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by uyimove19(m): 11:39am On Oct 14, 2022
ASUU vs FG
Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by Lumig: 11:39am On Oct 14, 2022
cool
We are not interested in story story. Resume ASAP.
Àwọn alaseju undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by inoki247: 11:40am On Oct 14, 2022
lol court case don make ASUU look confused....

1 Like

Re: Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike by oluwaseyi0: 11:40am On Oct 14, 2022
Ebubu:

Nigeria government doesn't obey court, FG won't even lift a finger if all the threat is mere court

Also know that the executive government has the judiciary in their pocket

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Gets 2 New Universities, Merges Colleges Of Education / Who Is An Educated Man? / Investigations On The Alleged "New Jamb Eligibility Regulation"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.