Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike (20134 Views)

Prolonged ASUU Strike Forced Me To Seek Husband / Varsity Students Protest Against Prolonged ASUU Strike In Kwara / ASUU Strike! Lecturer Turns Spiderman To Attend To Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 15, 2022
nkemoma:

Give people the basics and see wonders...

1. Safe and good Roads

2. Electricity - at least 20hrs

3. Health

4. Active Security force and Justice system

Tax them anything you want, hike school fees anyhow... These 4 basics covered.... Watch this country flourish

And where would the government get the money for all that

1.Good roads....usually road tolls. But in 2002, we removed tolling from the roads, and everyone cheered...now our roads are worse.

2.Electricity 20 hours...when the government is sabotaging the power sector by forcing them to lose money by setting their price for them...instead of letting them set their prices....at the end, they don't make a profit to fix things and attract investment.

3.Health: Hospital fees are too low in government hospitals...and at the end, the hospitals don't have the money to imprve things. Plus taxes. UK funds its NHS from taxing people.

4.Security...the same thing. Our police polices people on one tenth of what New Yourk city polices its people...and we have 210 million of us. Naturally, ye pay taxes.

Or how do we fund these things you want? On revenue from 2-3 m bpd of oil which isn;t enough for a nation of 20 million people, talk;less of 200 million people (Don';t mention Saudi and UAE. UAE produces 3 m bpd and has 15 million people.. Saudi has 40 millon and produces 10 m bpd).

Or we take another loan?

Reality is very hard to face.

n.b This does not excuse Buhari, or bad leadership...this shows what a good leader needs to do. In addtion to actually fighting corruption.
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by dabonny(m): 7:49am On Oct 15, 2022
... before nko?

Nothing pass apology nah! Even if I deliberately cheated someone, nah sorry go end and.

So, nah this sorry go bring back the 8months those students have wasted?

What am I even saying? Bubu wasted 8yrs of 200million Nigerians and the heaven never fall, una well-done ooooo

Thank God man no be God, if to say I get my way to deal with all these Nigeria politicians ni; the kind hell � wey una go enter go dey thicker than every other person's.

Bunch of useless people

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by GavelSlam: 7:50am On Oct 15, 2022
ASUU the main culprit did not apologise.
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by zikter(m): 7:51am On Oct 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
I hope ASUU won't be paid for the 8 months they've been on strike anyway sad

Should they be paid, who'll compensate students angry
So if they are not paid the 8 months, how is that compensation to students? I don't understand this your logic. If you are asking for compensation for students, ask if you don't want to, leave it

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by womenareapezz: 7:53am On Oct 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:

the main reason for calling of the strike is just for that 8month allowance/ salary! They have seen been paid that money plus extra allowance
Before the call off

But this agreement won't be mentioned officially. Just a secret back door meeting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Legendforte: 7:54am On Oct 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:

I am sad they would be paid.
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by zikter(m): 7:54am On Oct 15, 2022
Kasssandra:

1.Good roads....usually road tolls. But in 2002, we removed tolling from the roads, and everyone cheered...now our roads are worse.

2.Electricity 20 hours...when the government is sabotaging the power sector by forcing them to lose money by setting their price for them...instead of letting them set their prices....at the end, they don't make a profit to fix things and attract investment.

3.Health: Hospital fees are too low in government hospitals...and at the end, the hospitals don't have the money to imprve things. Plus taxes. UK funds its NHS from taxing people.

4.Security...the same thing. Our police polices people on one tenth of what New Yourk city polices its people...and we have 210 million of us. Naturally, ye pay taxes.

Or how do we fund these things you want? On revenue from 2-3 m bpd of oil which isn;t enough for a nation of 20 million people, talk;less of 200 million people (Don';t mention Saudi and UAE. UAE produces 3 m bpd and has 15 million people.. Saudi has 40 millon and produces 10 m bpd).

Or we take another loan?

n.b This does not excuse Buhari, or bad leadership...this shows what a good leader needs to do. In addtion to actually fighting corruption.
Let them stop stealing the billions they are stealing. Then, every Nigerian should remove corruption from their blood. Before you know, things will be far better

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by blaise26abj(m): 7:55am On Oct 15, 2022
nkemoma:
Chaiii..
These fools plan to use the strike for campaign!??

Nigerians forget very fast..... Some stupid parents and their children will still vote for the broom party, forgetting how miserable they made them in the last 8 months.

Nigerians deserve what they get.... You can't pray to be like Canada and reason like a primitive pygmy in the jungles of Congo.

ASUU , Nnamdi Kanu etc . These politicians are crazy ! They first made sure that the eligible student voters registered for pvc at home . Now they are making sure the students that can vote will be in school during election thereby disenfranchising them.

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Timekeeper452: 7:55am On Oct 15, 2022
Kasssandra:

At best, doing that would only raise earnings for universites by 500 million...when universites need ten times, no twenty times that.
aso rock clinic wasted budget alone would fund quarter. Aso rock internet budget. Travel budget. A lot of expenses wasted in this country can comfortably fund ASUU’s demand.

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by nkemoma(m): 7:57am On Oct 15, 2022
blaise26abj:

ASUU , Nnamdi Kanu etc . These politicians are crazy ! They first made sure that the eligible student voters registered for pvc at home . Now they are making sure the students that can vote to be in school during election thereby disenfranchising them.

Chaiii...

Nigeria is finished!
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Olamilekxy(m): 8:12am On Oct 15, 2022
Naija4love:
many agreement as being meet. Not all but over 80% of it for long time, the problem is FG said they will not pay salaries for the time spend at home why ASUU say no that is the battle, that sit everyone’s down for long

Thanks brother, fg has paid them the 8month salary?
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Honchoslim16(m): 8:17am On Oct 15, 2022
Sh!t so crazy!
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Dumte(m): 8:19am On Oct 15, 2022
After this ASUU and FG saga, some over sabi students will be like: "Sir when are we submitting the assignment you gave us on January 31st"? grin grin
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Naija4love(m): 8:24am On Oct 15, 2022
Olamilekxy:

Thanks brother, fg has paid them the 8month salary?
no and they shamelessly call off strike because there’s competition now FG registered many institutions to canter their selfishness, more like FG divided their camp with politics, giving junior staff and others power to stay on their own. ASUU didn’t control all academy stuff now.

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by ogaontop(m): 8:28am On Oct 15, 2022
blackpanda:

Direct your anger to the people that are always calling the strike:ASUU. They will still strike again next year and still get paid for doing no work. It has be one a habit
Why won't they strike when a professor that has worked for close to 30 years earns around 350k
Bro that pay doesn't make sense sincerely!
There was never a time Nigerian governments are interested in education.
Go to neighbouring African countries and see how they provide loans for indigent students, work and study, e.t.c
Come to our labs and see rats, outdated equipments.
Please let's call a spade a spade!
Nothing happening is ASUU'S fault.
That's how it started in primary and secondary schools, now the private sector has taken over those ones. When you send your child to govt primary or secondary school these days you seem like a joker!
A graduate teaching in these govt schools earns 38k in my state. Imagine? What can he do with it bro??
And you're expected to work continuously morning till evening.
I CAN ONLY SAY THE GOVT HAVE SUCCEEDED IN BRAINWASHING US NOT TO SEE THE REALITY IN THESE THINGS!
They need people to pressure them, I wonder what will happen if ASUU has kept quiet as you guys wanted!
A govt that proposed 300k minimum school fees in 2017 and ASUU refused. Today everybody is blaiming ASUU
It is well!

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by ogaontop(m): 8:29am On Oct 15, 2022
Naija4love:
no and they shamelessly call off strike because there’s competition now FG registered many institutions to canter their selfishness, more like FG divided their camp with politics, giving junior staff and others power to stay on their own. ASUU didn’t control all academy stuff now.
Hahaha, funny
Many institutions you say? The only one they registered and promised August salary and arrears,
Did they fulfill the promise bro?
They will register new ones and still fail to attend to the terms of registration.
No be juju be that

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Goldbw122(m): 8:30am On Oct 15, 2022
forexwilliams:

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/10/fg-apologizes-to-students-parents-over-prolonged-ASUU-strike/
The apologize does not deduct from the year, the student will spend in school.
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 15, 2022
Timekeeper452:
aso rock clinic wasted budget alone would fund quarter. Aso rock internet budget. Travel budget. A lot of expenses wasted in this country can comfortably fund ASUU’s demand.

Aso Rock clinic...300 million naira.

Aso rock internet 14 billion naira.

What universites need...something like 750 billion naira additional in one year , or 1.4 trillion additional funding per annum at least (according to UNICEF). ..or even as much as 5 trillion naira aloneor mre (my own estimate)
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by ogaontop(m): 8:35am On Oct 15, 2022
Kasssandra:

Or we take another loan?

It's either you aren't aware of the reality of things in this country or intentionally defending the government
OPEC's quota to Nigeria is 1.8mbpd.
Nigeria officially produces and supplies 1.3, remaining 500k barrels is being stolen everyday by pirates and TOP government officials.
A barrel is 100usd, 500,000 * 100 = 50,000,000.
50million dollars daily multiplied by 30 days is 1.5 billion dollars monthly.
Channel half of this amount monthly to health, security, good roads and electricity and see if things won't be better!
I said half, assuming they were just able to recover half of what was being lost on daily basis!

NB: These countries you were mentioning, read up their policies well, most of those things were on ground and people now pay taxes to maintain them.
Let them build world class facilities and roads here and see if people won't pay tolls and taxes to maintain them. Some roads in Lagos have tolls and people are gently paying. Second Niger bridge will be tolled and people won't mind paying as far as it will serve their purpose!

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 15, 2022
zikter:
Let them stop stealing the billions they are stealing. Then, every Nigerian should remove corruption from their blood. Before you know, things will be far better

Yes, they should. There is no where where I justify corruption.

But the thing is, universites have to keep on making or getting a lot of money. Returing the loot would only help for a few years...assuming we put in the universities. It is what happens when the loot has been spent that is the issue.

Like how do we fund things like overheads, accomodation, upgrading of facilites, funding of research facilities, research grants, even things like university schools, hospitals, et al? On a yearly basis.

Loot can only go so far.

The USSR when it came into being in 1917 took the loot from the rich...and it worked...till they ran out of loot.
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 15, 2022
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Stargurl20(f): 9:00am On Oct 15, 2022
forexwilliams:

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/10/fg-apologizes-to-students-parents-over-prolonged-ASUU-strike/
We don't want apologies. Ask us not to pay next session tuition fee
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 15, 2022
ogaontop:

It's either you aren't aware of the reality of things in this country or intentionally defending the government
OPEC's quota to Nigeria is 1.8mbpd.
Nigeria officially produces and supplies 1.3, remaining 500k barrels is being stolen everyday by pirates and TOP government officials.
A barrel is 100usd, 500,000 * 100 = 50,000,000.
50million dollars daily multiplied by 30 days is 1.5 billion dollars monthly.
Channel half of this amount monthly to health, security, good roads and electricity and see if things won't be better!
I said half, assuming they were just able to recover half of what was being lost on daily basis!

NB: These countries you were mentioning, read up their policies well, most of those things were on ground and people now pay taxes to maintain them.
Let them build world class facilities and roads here and see if people won't pay tolls and taxes to maintain them. Some roads in Lagos have tolls and people are gently paying. Second Niger bridge will be tolled and people won't mind paying as far as it will serve their purpose!

Good...now here is the problem

Divide that money among 200 million of us...and you will see how poor we are.

The thing is, the amount we earn from oil is not enough for our needs. I know you think I am lying and I am excusing Buhari, but I found that out when PDP was still running this country and it explained a lot.

We need far more money than what you are calling...if we want all the good roads and stuff...

For example...1.5bn monthly is about 18 billion annually. Guess how much Spain spends on health care? 100 billion dollars in one year (and they call themselves Europe's not so rich nation). Guess how much USA spends on health care. 4 trillion dollars.

And the only way we can get there is by

1.Either we remove subsides, tax the 70% of the economically active who don't pay taxes...

AND

2.Become a nation that exports manufactured industrial goods...including refined products...which can only happen if we let the power and petrol sector make a profit by removing subsides

We are not earning enough money for a nation our size. The corruption and stealing makes a bad situation worse...which is why I have never voted for PDP or APC and why I never will, and why I am not obidient...but without the stealing, we are not earning enough money.

So, lol..
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Timekeeper452: 9:03am On Oct 15, 2022
Kasssandra:

Aso Rock clinic...300 million naira.

Aso rock internet 14 billion naira.

What universites need...something like 750 billion naira additional in one year , or 1.4 trillion additional funding per annum at least (according to UNICEF). ..or even as much as 5 trillion naira aloneor mre (my own estimate)
not just what is needed but what was agreed upon by the government. Glad you are seeing extra money coming out from expenses wasted. Now move over to the oil sector and use the amount wasted daily on subsidy and siphoned by oil thieves, bring funds from all those and settle ASUU, they are the pillar of education in this country and shapes what the future generation would be.
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by sofeo(m): 9:03am On Oct 15, 2022
Lols
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 15, 2022
Timekeeper452:
not just what is needed but what was agreed upon by the government. Glad you are seeing extra money coming out from expenses wasted. Now move over to the oil sector and use the amount wasted daily on subsidy and siphoned by oil thieves, bring funds from all those and settle ASUU, they are the pillar of education in this country and shapes what the future generation would be.

At least I have shown you that even if we used that money for universites, it won't be enough. Universites need more than that.

Yes we have to remove subsidy and stop stealing...but even if we do both, we won;t get enough money. At best , we get 20-30 bn dollars annually, when we need something like 300 billion dollars annually before we can talk. And oil prices never stay where we want them (we need oil at above 130 dollars per barrel on a sustained basis before we can earn enough money).

Short term...fees go up and we tax more people. Long term, we become an industrial nation that exports industrial goods...(like why can't we make and export phones from Nigeria? We love phones.)
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by babyfaceafrica: 9:12am On Oct 15, 2022
When will ASUU apologise?
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by oshinbanjo: 9:24am On Oct 15, 2022
Apology not granted
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Graceunlimitedd(m): 9:42am On Oct 15, 2022
mrmayoh:
Apology accepted.

Let's be frank to ourselves. Federal Government alone cannot fund tertiary education.

In 2019 Budget, Federal Govt budgeted over N17B to ABU Zaria and ABU Zaria generated less than 4 billion naira in the same year.

Must Federal Universities in Nigeria Charges between N25,000 - N40,000 per year. Most primary schools pay higher than that.

If Nigeria want to compete globally, then she must do what others are doing.
apology accepted by who?
who you be?

1 Like

Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by Graceunlimitedd(m): 9:57am On Oct 15, 2022
Abalado:
That one no concern me,,NA SCHOOL BOYFRIEND TURN now,,house boyfriend don enjoy reach,,only legends will understand, but if u understand waiting I mean like
plenty don already born for house
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by KunGioKehRah: 10:06am On Oct 15, 2022
Some don't remember their matric number

Some don carry belle
Re: FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike by hotseat: 10:09am On Oct 15, 2022
The disHonourable Minister of Labourers and Employees, sorry, Minister of Labour and Employment, Dikita Christo, had better sholved his "medicine after death" apology deep down his foul hindside.

While "apologizing", he referred to the focused, unshakable, dogged and forthright ASUU as "intransigent", thereby exonerating himself of any blame in the protracted strike which was much due to his personal ego!

Ngige is an...

IDIOTA!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Was The Bad Habit Your Roommate Had When In School? / How I Got Caught Today Using Exam Chip Also Known As Ekpo / College Of Education Akamkpa Expels Student For Refusal To Sing National Anthem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.