Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party (29139 Views)

FESTAC '77 - 'The Great Black Olympics Of 1977' - Video / Biggest Party In Port Harcourt The Legacy By Legacy Bloodline / The Biggest Party In Port Harcourt This October - Night In Vegas Party 2017 By C (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by techWriter3: 6:11am On Oct 16, 2022
Wow

2 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 6:22am On Oct 16, 2022
OldNairalander:
I still believed the West have a hand in Nigeria's current woes.
This country was fast rising to become a rich and powerful black empire of sort that will liberate all black men all over the world. Unfortunately for her,the West can't survive without Africa's resources. Hence the coded Carthage like treatment on Nigeria to destroy it's influence.

Oh, they were very nervous about Nigeria in the 1970s. Just a year after FESTAC, the Obasanjo regime nationalised British Petroleum, to register Nigeria's displeasure at Britain's support of the apartheid regime in South Africa.

British planes were constantly being detained at Lagos airport, and the year previously, Gen Murtala Muhammed had rejected an offer by the US Secretary of State, George Schultz, to visit him in Nigeria. This was when Nigeria was backing one set of rebels while the US backed the other in the Angolan war of independence.

Nigeria was the only country geographically removed from the 1970s southern African independence struggles (of Zimbabwe, Namibia, Angola, South Africa) which was classed as a Frontline country in those anti-colonial wars.

She heavily funded the ANC with millions of dollars a month to fight the apartheid regime, and Nigerian leaders constantly railed against Britain and the United States for supporting the racist regime in South Africa.

There were serious discussions held about the possibility of Nigeria going nuclear. The then foreign minister, Bolaji Akinyemi, spoke endlessly in conferences and seminars about Nigeria's need to build the 'Black Bomb' to serve as a counter to western influence and nuclear hegemony.

This Nigerian urge to build the black bomb was only mellowed after the South African apartheid regime abandoned its nuclear programme and destroyed its nuclear warheads.

So Nigeria was a big headache to the western powers in the 70s and early 80s. This was when the term 'The Giant of Africa' was coined, and came to be widely used in world media to describe the federation.

The real surprise would be if they were not involved in curbing Nigeria's influence and power in later years, though various underhand methods..

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Dexyity(m): 7:00am On Oct 16, 2022
Reminds me of Festac'77 by Orlando Owo.. Good! Very insightful

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 7:13am On Oct 16, 2022
Boy, Nigeria was swimming in money in those days. I remember strolling through my neighbourhood in Lagos as a kid with my friends. We'd just be strolling and just run into an Owambe on a blocked street. We'd just enter, and collect seat. We wouldn't know anybody there o, but no wahala. You just go to the huge drum nearby and dip your hands in the chilled water and collect any drink you want including champagne! Girls would be coming round serving you rice with big meat.... Man. Naija was sweet. cool

This song by King Sunny Ade, 'Eshubiribiri' was played in every Owambe in those days.

It was the soundtrack of the Lagos 1970s oil boom Owambe scene. Memories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuoaibJLmc&ab_channel=OlatokunboDaramola%2CJr.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Asquare84(m): 7:28am On Oct 16, 2022
Good Will bless the opp for reconisiance our concience as black. This are the kind of update that should be hitting front page

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:31am On Oct 16, 2022
This thread is interesting.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 7:39am On Oct 16, 2022
Asquare84:
Good Will bless the opp for reconisiance our concience as black. This are the kind of update that should be hitting front page

Hopefully....Thanks bro... cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by AgentGoat: 8:01am On Oct 16, 2022
wow!!

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by tellsblinks(m): 8:37am On Oct 16, 2022
Omoj

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by sreamsense: 9:03am On Oct 16, 2022
Good old days when there was no Ipob and Boko Haram. Time when moraless humans were few or were never born. Time when there was no bad side effects of social media like Yahoo, Facebook and Google. Time when few available universities then were dedicated to duties and there was nothing like ASSU thinking of sharing from national cake even when they don't work to justify the payment. Time when one can treck from City to city without fear of kidnapping, ritualism and banditry.

Time when strangers can be allowed to sleep over without fear of loosing personal treasure. Time when Fulani children rearing animals in different locations were friendly and also safe from attacks. Time when kanu was in primary school and was so innocent without having mind to turn Igbo lands to killing field under guise of unknown gun men. May God restore good old days memories back for us in modern form that are free of violence, kidnapping and get quick syndrome

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 9:10am On Oct 16, 2022
Amen bro..
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by soojar(m): 9:27am On Oct 16, 2022
Reflect7:
HERE IS THE GLORIOUS, TRIUMPHANT FESTAC 77 ANTHEM

THIS SONG MORE OR LESS BECAME NIGERIA'S NATIONAL ANTHEM THROUGHOUT 1977 AND BEYOND.

IT WAS PLAYED EVERYWHERE AND EVERY TIME, ON TV, RADIO ETC.

The country had prepared and planned for this event for 12 years prior.

AT LONG LAST, '77 was here, and the song said so....:

'FESTAC.... 77...... 77 IS HERE.....''

'FESTAC.... 77...... 77 IS HERE.....!!!!!''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jm6Wemfvow&ab_channel=UNESCOAbujaOffice

God bless you for bringing back to our memory one of these good old days. Festac '77 remains arguably the most remarkable national celebration and event in Nigeria to date. This anthem is just whao! I always have goose pimples each time I listen to it. The music was written by Margaret Walker but produced Dr. Olatunji Akin Euba (1935-2020).

I have a new ring tone for the next one month at least grin

We learn everyday

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by SmartPolician: 7:29am On Oct 17, 2022
Majority of people in those pictures are dead.

Live a good life, love your neighbor and don't hate people because of what people say about them.

In this life, we only live once and all shall die someday and appear before our Maker.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Evidenx(m): 7:30am On Oct 17, 2022
This festac was what enthroned Satan in Nigeria, Today Nigeria is one of the countries that Satan have office in. I speak by divine Revelation.
From 77 till now Nigeria began to go downward. Because people in their ignorance welcome the devil to take over their country.

5 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Ykc2(m): 7:30am On Oct 17, 2022
The trade fair and festac plus satellite town was built by tinubu and his urchins too, angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by ajepako(f): 7:31am On Oct 17, 2022
Yeah

I was 3 then but I remember the Slogan

FESTAC 77 and blah-blah-blah cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Bestbeelieve: 7:31am On Oct 17, 2022
In 2 years you say! now they cant even build a proper housing estate in 8yrs

Reflect7:
FESTAC VILLAGE

I remember FESTAC VILLAGE as it was when it was first built for the 20,000 black diaspora who stormed Nigeria for the event. From Ghana, South Africa, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Jamaica, USA, Barbados, Cuba, Brazil, Antigua, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Guyana, Grenada, Bahamas, etc etc.

When you entered FESTAC then, it was like somewhere in Los Angeles! Clean roads with sidewalks, and folks strolling around, taking pictures etc.

IN FACT, THE WHOLE OF LAGOS WAS BUBBLING. YANKEE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE, IN THE CLUBS, BARS, HOTELS, RESTAURANTS, THE BEACH, THE STREETS, EVERYWHERE.

Facilities

''A housing estate known as Festac Village was constructed as accommodation for about 17,000 participants. However, the long-term objective of the village under the Federal Housing Programme was to relieve some of the housing pressure in Lagos. The housing estate was proposed for construction within two years, with more than 40 contractors working on different sites of the project. In total 5,088 dwelling units were built prior to the festival and an additional 5,687 were to be completed by the end of 1977. During the festival, the housing estate was the venue for performance rehearsals and interaction by participants as various troupes rehearsed their routines in the day and at night.

For hosting the performances and lectures, a state-of-the-art multipurpose national theatre was built, to serve also as a lasting centre of African art and culture. The theatre's design was based on the Palace of Culture and Sports in Varna, Bulgaria. The new complex had two exhibition halls, a 5,000-capacity performance and event hall, a conference hall with 1,600 seats and two cinema halls. The theatre hosted dance, music, art exhibitions, cinema, drama and the colloquium.'' - Wiki

National Arts Theatre, Lagos
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by TastyFriedPussy: 7:32am On Oct 17, 2022
Reflect7:
THE WORLD STILL CELEBRATES FESTAC 77 TILL THIS DAY

1977 ? Is that not Microsoft windows 10 abi Na eyes dey pain me?

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Myer(m): 7:34am On Oct 17, 2022
budaatum:
I told ma, "It is not right that I do not learn black and African culture, so you either buy a telly so I can watch Festac or you take me to Festac everyday".

We got our Nigerian telly on 14 January 1977. It was a black and white Sanyo.

Nice one.
Unfortunately for the spiritually discerning, it also marked the beginning of the downward spiral of Nigeria. As it seems it celebrated the gods across Africa and not God.

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by bigdammyj: 7:35am On Oct 17, 2022
Ok.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by AmazingELixir: 7:35am On Oct 17, 2022
lipsrsealed

There were no agberos then and certainly no "owo mi da"

Who ever engineered this group of persons into creation in our society will live to regret it....that is if they ain't already.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by ugodson(m): 7:35am On Oct 17, 2022
Proud to be born and brought up in Festac. Festac college representative here. 24road guy here. All my festac people i hail una oooo!

6 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by maxist2020(m): 7:37am On Oct 17, 2022
But urchins said that lagos was a desert until Mr Agbado came to turn it into a city.

7 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by zumbigbo(m): 7:39am On Oct 17, 2022
Sharpest thread on NL for a long while. Our problem on the continent is that we do not recount enough of our history. So, every 10 years a new generation is born and boom, with. No history teacher, everything is forgotten.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by madjune(m): 7:40am On Oct 17, 2022
OldNairalander:
I still believed the West have a hand in Nigeria's current woes.
This country was fast rising to become a rich and powerful black empire of sort that will liberate all black men all over the world. Unfortunately for her,the West can't survive without Africa's resources. Hence the coded Carthage like treatment on Nigeria to destroy it's influence.

Don't blame the West anything.

Blame your selfish leaders for their selfishness and stupidity.
During this Festac jamboree, Gowon foolishly told foreign leaders present that, " Nigeria had too much money and didn't know what to do with its excess."

Imagine such stupid statement from a leader?

Or, is it IBB that started listening to IMF and doing funny stuff to the naira?

That's what killed our economy till today.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Nickymichy(m): 7:41am On Oct 17, 2022
God bless OP...i wasn't born then but i have heard about this Wonderful festival...more pictures and videos pls

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Yoighaman(m): 7:41am On Oct 17, 2022
@OP: Thanks for sharing.

Let me also add, that FESTAC '77 was part of the events/where Aliko Dangote cut his teeth in business. He worked with his uncle's company at the time, and the company was part of those that constructed the place now popularly known as Festac Town (in Amuwo-Odofin LGA of Lagos State.)

Lesson: The man (Dangote) don tey for business, success is not overnight.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 7:41am On Oct 17, 2022
Myer:

Nice one.
Unfortunately for the spiritually discerning, it also marked the beginning of the downward spiral of Nigeria. As it seems it celebrated the gods across Africa and not God.

I think it marked the "beginning of the downward spiral of Nigeria" only for the stupid and the ignorant, since it was a celebration of culture and had nothing at all to do with gods or God.

It was after all not funded by a church, and Africans do not all worship one God, yet see how we united for one amazing festival and celebration.

The Gods would have been pleased if they had brains.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by sojisenai(m): 7:42am On Oct 17, 2022
Hmmm...

Meanwhile, if you have an elderly loved one, or a friend who is sick or disabled...and you need a reputable company to [provide quality care for them, kindly check my signature for the best caregiving service company around.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by obi4eze(m): 7:42am On Oct 17, 2022
It was a very useless party.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Lama70(m): 7:45am On Oct 17, 2022
The first major wastage in the history of Nigeria. I keep hating the idea.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by jojothaiv(m): 7:45am On Oct 17, 2022
But FESTAC '77 was not all smooth sailing. Nigeria being Nigeria, there was disagreement as to the cost of the event, and the ways the funds were used etc etc.

We've come long way with this corrupt and sharp practices...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Buried On His Wedding Day In Cross River State (Photos) / 10 Ways Instagram Wedding Pages Frustrate Broke People (MEME Collections) / 43-Year-Old Police Officer Buried In His Uniform In Adamawa State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.