Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track (6027 Views)

Why Is Lagos Erecting Iron Fence Between The Railway Track? / Kogi Gov Poll: PDP Raises Alarm Over Alleged Police Harassment Of Members / Nigerians In Kenya Protest Police Harassment And Intimidation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Rastamann: 1:25pm On Aug 19, 2011
So oh boy, how much did you give them as bribe to let you go? Well. it is good not to stop on the rail tracks but the police should help inform people by not harassing them but making sure that people do not stop on these tracks. There should be a sign post there instructing drivers not to stop on the rail tracks.This is part of the numerous police harassments to innocent Nigerians every day.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by cold(m): 1:27pm On Aug 19, 2011
But how on earth do we even expect a functional police force with stations like that.How can anyone remain sane for long in that kind of structure?
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Dangello(m): 1:29pm On Aug 19, 2011
lond07:

oohunt,

Where there is no law, there is no crime.

Did you observe if there was any road sign making it UNLAWFUL if you stayed on the track like the yellow line marking as OFF SIDE?

If there were none, then tell me what law have  you contravened!!!

If it were simply the 'conscious' awareness for the safety and the authorities concenrned have not provided a barier or at worst a road sign, then who should have been liable?

Even in the US/UK, there is no rail crossing without a barier/road sign. so do not compare these places to Nigeria. I live in the UK and know pretty well what applies here. You have simply fell into the booty trap of the NP who take delight in extorting you.

I was once stopped by the police while making a u-turn under National Stadium bridge (coming from oju elegba). The policeman argued that I was not supposed to turn mean while there was no road sign.

After a long argument/counter argumnet, his boss intervened and allowed me to go . Of course never paid a kobo. I was dead determined to report them and escalate the issue to every quarters and to the press.

Next time nknow your right abnd make good defence

Well said LOND,

Inasmuch as the poster was wrong by stopping on the railway track, the police men must have been stationed there to GUIDE and not ARREST motorists. I am not sure that there is any road sign there.

The barriers (though not existent at that spot) is not really needed for this discussion as there was no train movement at that time.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by lond07: 1:35pm On Aug 19, 2011
To pinkrex,

The point Haboosa is making is simple - The operation of the NP in that place is questionable.

The guy has committed no wrong if there were no signs and he is even in a position to sue NP and NRC in the eventy of any accident. I am bold to say the guy will laugh last if it were in developed world
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by KokoBeware: 1:37pm On Aug 19, 2011
For crying out loud, you stopped on a RAILWAY LINE which is a crime anywhere in the world, its your fault, the fact that you didn't know dosn't make you right, and am sure there would have been a sign there, which as every average Nigerian you ignored,
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by lond07: 1:45pm On Aug 19, 2011
oops

A rail track that is practically not in use for like a decade. Even you yourself will fall into the same trap.

Granted, it is gradually coming back, but how many pple know it is partially coming back again . This is where you get to see responsible governance.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by haboosa(m): 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2011
pinkrex:

What sense have you made here?? undecided undecided
@ Pinkrex why did u just attack me like that? i was trying to explain to the OP that "no be today those guys don dey extort from that point" and they usually encounter military attack which make them keep off from that point for a while because the " Military bois dey teach the police at that point some lessons"
@ Op dont mind those MOFOS police they are hungry cows which feeds on whatever they come across. even from that Railway to Alakara to Olosan even reach Zone "grin" which happens to be the divisional headquarters in Mushin they are all the same people, they will just spot unnecessary fault and instead of them to correct you they will be asking for Money. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by sesman(m): 1:50pm On Aug 19, 2011
I cant believe people are actually defending the poster, he was on a bloody RAILWAY TRACK for goodness sake,  it is very dangerous, sign posted or not sign posted, when will people start taking resposiblity for their actions.

will you drive into a burning fire because it isnt sign posted?
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by pinkrex(m): 1:51pm On Aug 19, 2011
haboosa:

@ Pinkrex why did u just attack me like that? i was trying to explain to the OP that "no be today those guys don dey extort from that point" and they usually encounter military attack which make them keep off from that point for a while because the " Military bois dey teach the police at that point some lessons"
@ Op dont mind those MOFOS police they are hungry cows which feeds on whatever they come across. even from that Railway to Alakara to Olosan even reach Zone "grin" which happens to be the divisional headquarters in Mushin they are all the same people, they will just spot unnecessary fault and instead of them to correct you they will be asking for Money. angry angry angry angry angry angry

You have a serious problem with comprehension and contribution grin grin grin

Are you indirectly praising the OP for what he did by out rightly condemning the actions(even if extreme) of the police?
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by haboosa(m): 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2011
lond07:

To pinkrex,

The point Haboosa is making is simple - The operation of the NP in that place is questionable.

The guy has committed no wrong if there were no signs and he is even in a position to sue NP and NRC in the eventy of any accident. I am bold to say the guy will laugh last if it were in developed world

@ Lond07 thank you, i want you to know that those guys are only their for their personal pocket(illegally) so if you if you take them up they will beg you cos me sef had a personal encounter with them in the past @ the same point and those mili bois treat those police Bleep up and beat the hell out of them. angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by KokoBeware: 1:56pm On Aug 19, 2011
To pinkrex,

In a developed world you wouldnt even dream of stopping on a road intersection not to talk of a railway track, and the guy didnt say there was no sign there did he??
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by deenee: 2:02pm On Aug 19, 2011
NIGERIANS AND THEIR 'CULTURE  OF BLAME EVERYBODY BUT MYSELF' FOR THE PREDICAMENT THAT I AM GOING THROUGH!
I DON'T SUPPORT WHAT THE POLICE HAS DONE IN ANYWAY, BUT I WANT TO ASK ONE QUESTION; IF THE POSTER HAD NOT CROSSED THE RAILWAY (DEEMED A TRAFFIC OFFENCE BY THE WAY) ,WHETHER IT IS IN USE OR, WHETHER THERE IS A SIGN THERE OR NOT, WILL THE POLICE ARREST HIM?

Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by pinkrex(m): 2:04pm On Aug 19, 2011
haboosa:

@ Lond07 thank you, i want you to know that those guys are only their for their personal pocket(illegally) so if you if you take them up they will beg you cos me sef had a personal encounter with them in the past @ the same point and those mili bois treat those police bleep up and beat the hell out of them. angry angry angry angry

Elements of mumu+social irresponsibily(not literary) of the highest order.

Why dont you jump into the into the lagoon on 3rd mainland cos the is no danger sign there? angry angry angry

Because laws are not perfect or not properly implemented in Nigeria doesnt mean we should abuse the imperfections angry angry
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by deenee: 2:09pm On Aug 19, 2011
lond07:

oops

A rail track that is practically not in use for like a decade. Even you yourself will fall into the same trap.

Granted, it is gradually coming back, but how many pple know it is partially coming back again . This is where you get to see responsible governance.

HOW MANY ABANDONED RAIL TRACKS DO YOU CROSS IN  LONDON? LET'S NOT APPORTION BLAME HERE, BOTH PARTIES ARE GUILTY!

THE POSTER IS GUILTY  FOR DRIVING ACROSS A RAIL TRACK AND ALSO CREATING AN 'ENABLING ENVIRONMENT' FOR THE NIGERIAN POLICE TO DO, WHAT THEY KNOW BEST

AND THE NIGERIAN POLICE, (SHAKING MY HEAD IN HORROR!) cry cry cry cry cry cry cry, MAY GOD HELP US ALL. WE STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA AND POSTER, THANKS FOR THE 'ADVANCE WARNING'
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Claus(m): 2:10pm On Aug 19, 2011
I think it's a bit unfair to criticize the poster.

It is well known in Nigeria that many rail tracks are not in use. In such cases, the reaonable thing to do before crossing is to check that the way is clear. The fact that the car in front stopped was a bit unlucky. One can argue that the poster could have anticipated such an event, but still, I believe this incident can happen to anyone.

Someone mentioned the U.K. At every rail crossing I've driven across in the U.K., there's a barrier that comes down, a red light flashes and a warning bell sounds when a train is near. It can take a few minutes before the train actually comes.

Basically, it is made abundantly clear that the tracks are in use, and what motorists need to do.

I commend the poster for putting the story up here because it will serve as a wake up call. Not necessarily to avoid police harrassment, but so that people are aware that even decrepit looking tracks may be in use and that they should take extra extra care, especially in the absence of warning signals or any clear instructions.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by deenee: 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2011
Claus:

I think it's a bit unfair to criticize the poster.

It is well known in Nigeria that many rail tracks are not in use. In such cases, the reaonable thing to do before crossing is to check that the way is clear. The fact that the car in front stopped was a bit unlucky. One can argue that the poster could have anticipated such an event, but still, I believe this incident can happen to anyone.

Someone mentioned the U.K. At every rail crossing I've driven across in the U.K., there's a barrier that comes down, a red light flashes and a warning bell sounds when a train is near. It can actually take a few minutes before the train actually comes.

Basically, it is made abundantly clear that the tracks are in use, and what motorists need to do.

I commend the poster for putting the story up here because it will serve as a wake up call. Not necessarily to avoid police harrassment, but so that people are aware that even decrepit looking tracks may be in use and that they should take extra extra care, especially in the absence of warning signals or any clear instructions.

GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS COMMENT!
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by lond07: 2:14pm On Aug 19, 2011
@ Lond07 thank you, i want you to know that those guys are only their for their personal pocket(illegally) so if you if you take them up they will beg you cos me sef had a personal encounter with them in the past @ the same point and those mili bois treat those police bleep up and beat the hell out of them.    

Why dont you jump into the into the lagoon on 3rd mainland cos the is no danger sign there?    

Because laws are not perfect or not properly implemented in Nigeria doesnt mean we should abuse the imperfections  

I wonder who is "Elements of mumu+social irresponsibily(not literary) of the highest order.

" in this scenario. You lack proper decorum and civility expected in a public forum.

Why do you have to talk dirty and descend into irresponsible attack on personality.

I expected you to make your point and if your argument is convincing I will applaud you and drop mine.

But I must say you lack the depth of sound evaluation of matters.

If you expect me to trade words with you then you must be a joker becos I will not condescend to the level of stupidity of your type
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by pinkrex(m): 2:24pm On Aug 19, 2011
lond07:

@ Lond07 thank you, i want you to know that those guys are only their for their personal pocket(illegally) so if you if you take them up they will beg you cos me sef had a personal encounter with them in the past @ the same point and those mili bois treat those police bleep up and beat the hell out of them.    

Why dont you jump into the into the lagoon on 3rd mainland cos the is no danger sign there?    

Because laws are not perfect or not properly implemented in Nigeria doesnt mean we should abuse the imperfections  

I wonder who is "Elements of mumu+social irresponsibily(not literary) of the highest order.

" in this scenario. You lack proper decorum and civility expected in a public forum.

Why do you have to talk dirty and descend into irresponsible attack on personality.

I expected you to make your point and if your argument is convincing I will applaud you and drop mine.

But I must say you lack the depth of sound evaluation of matters.

If you expect me to trade words with you then you must be a joker becos I will not condescend to the level of stupidity of your type

Bring it on baby, I cant stand people that hate being hit by reality, I can see you trying to intimidate me with some grammatical eloquence but you have also failed to understand that we have people who will never understand a clear point unless they are being made to. I havent attacked his personality but his reasoning. And you dnt bleep tell me what decorum or civility here because you have just reciprocated in same retrospect.

I made my points several times but he held on to his blunt contributions cos he wasent thinking outside the box.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by lond07: 2:28pm On Aug 19, 2011
Read the post from deenee above and learn from his maturity. Look at the way and spirit exhibited presenting his own argument.

Aba, let's learn to speak and write decently.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by haboosa(m): 2:30pm On Aug 19, 2011
@ pinkrex
Bring it on baby, I cant stand people that hate being hit by reality, I can see you trying to intimidate me with some grammatical eloquence but you have also failed to understand that we have people who will never understand a clear point unless they are being made to. I havent attacked his personality but his reasoning. And you dnt bleep tell me what decorum or civility here because you have just reciprocated in same retrospect.

I made my points several times but he held on to his blunt contributions cos he wasent thinking outside the box.
[quote][/quote] I can see you are a bleeping Thwart , lack the eligibility to contribute in a socialized topic like this and above all you need to cross that railwayline , turn right ,walk stright and turn left (Yaba left) cos you actually need a neuro-psychiatric doctor to examine you if at your age you cannot read btw the line. . . . Steewpid I-m-be-c-ile . @ Deenee & Lond07 Godbless you for your contribution
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by pinkrex(m): 2:35pm On Aug 19, 2011
lond07:

Read the post from deenee above and learn from his maturity. Look at the way and spirit exhibited presenting his own argument.

Aba, let's learn to speak and write decently.

Diff strokes for diff folks, cos im not tactful towards him (d way you would have wanted it) doesn't mean i dont know when to be tactful,

Stop sipping cannabis for another man's madness na, You are the one getting mad, atleast he is acting matured not to reply me grin grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Bawss1(m): 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2011
Just in case you guys don't already know members of the police are on this thread, see how some of their comments are giving them away. Very discourteous lot.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by gabrieli(m): 3:01pm On Aug 19, 2011
@poster

Eeyah, what the police was very bad, their conduct was unprofessional, but what you did was worse because you wanted to commit suicide
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by pinkrex(m): 3:11pm On Aug 19, 2011
haboosa:

@ pinkrex
Bring it on baby, I cant stand people that hate being hit by reality,  I can see you trying to intimidate me with some grammatical eloquence but you have also failed to understand that we have people who will never understand a clear point unless they are being made to. I havent attacked his personality but his reasoning. And you dnt bleep tell me what decorum or civility here because you have just reciprocated in same retrospect.

I can see you are a bleeping Thwart , lack the eligibility to contribute in a socialized topic like this and above all you need to cross that railwayline , turn right ,walk stright and turn left (Yaba left) cos you actually need a neuro-psychiatric doctor to examine you if at your age you cannot read btw the line. . . . Steewpid I-m-be-c-ile . @ Deenee & Lond07 Godbless you for your contribution

Pathectic grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by winta2007(m): 3:45pm On Aug 19, 2011
bad omen.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by macyozo(m): 3:52pm On Aug 19, 2011
hmm na like say the author of this thread dey replay wetin happen to me some weeks ago on the same spot, na pako house dem dey call that police station.the useless police men usually tell u ur fine ll be 20k once they drag u to the station, unfortunately i needed my car badly that day so had to bribe them with 5k, we need prayers in this our country
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by allboyz(m): 4:05pm On Aug 19, 2011
na wa oo
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 19, 2011
pinkrex:

Pathectic grin grin grin
pinkrex:

Pathectic grin grin grin
pinkrex:

Pathectic grin grin grin
LWKMD
so much for your grammatical eloquence,
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Demdem(m): 4:47pm On Aug 19, 2011
something similar happened to me today in PH. was simply driving carefully in an area am not so used to and suddenly some guys (local authorities i guess) surrounded my car and asked me to stop. I was accused of driving one-way. To be honest, despite I being careful, i did not see any sign or notification to suggest to me that its a one way and the street itself was a very short one. They tried entering my car but they couldn't. I was so annoyed and simply zoomed off.
i felt guilty afterwards but when i realized that they are simply looking for who to exploit, i later felt ok with myself.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by pinkrex(m): 4:49pm On Aug 19, 2011
beebee2000:

LWKMD
so much for your grammatical eloquence,

Its 'pathetic' well that's a mistake anyway, 

Your tooth is too shinny though cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2011
Funy pics luks like palm wine joint
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2011
Funy pics luks like palm wine joint

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kaduna NLC To Go On Strike, Says 20,000 Workers Have Not Been Paid April Wages / Massive Turn Out As Peter Obi Supporters Hold First Meeting At Ago Palace Lagos- / PDP's Mbah Vows To Move Enugu GDP From $4.4bn To $30bn In Eight Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.