Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? (11182 Views)

7 Reasons Why You Should Remain In Nigeria / Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Kossy04: 10:27pm On Aug 21, 2011
"The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there, but that is a big mistake
Just look at the world around you right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things around you, what more are you looking for
Under the sea,
Under the sea,
Darling it's better, down where it's wetter, take it from me
Up on the shore they walk all day, out in the sun they slave away,
While we're devoting full time to floating under the sea."
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by loco4love: 11:47pm On Aug 21, 2011
The US is in a serious recession now. It is better for you to stay in nigeria since you have a job that is taking care of your needs. It is very difficult for some black folks to get jobs in North America now.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by tolsee(m): 12:10am On Aug 22, 2011
There is a saying that goes, "A bird in hand fit shit for hand". My guy, America can work for you better than Nigeria can if you plan properly. Make sure you have some money before you leave, money that would sustain you and your wife for a couple of months. I doubt you would get a student visa though,
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Jiah011(f): 1:19am On Aug 22, 2011
Even for those of us born in diaspora, things are not promising. I have two degrees (BA and Masters) and I am feverishly looking for employment here in the US. I'm even thinking of coming to Naija or (some other country) to look at job prospects there or to help develop Nigeria. A lot of people are unemployed. Those menial jobs you could get on a student visa are now what people are turning to because the big jobs are unavailable. Experience and connections are really what will get you a good job currently in the US, and as a foreigner these may be hard to get. Talk less of someone from Nigeria coming to the US, and with a wife and kids. You already have a decent job.

Bro, things are really tough right now because of the economy and things seem to be getting worse. Let's say you decide to come here and with much difficulty and personal investment, you complete your program. I'm not even sure anyone can say what america will look like by then. To start looking for job and to build a life here, it's tough. Immigration will soon be in the presidential debates, as is the economy, and I'm not sure what will be the outcome. Also you and your family will change. Your wife and children will be different, just like you will have to be different to adapt to the culture and survive. You just have to change in many ways or you won't make it together. If you change for the better, that will be great. But if you change for the worse, that will be a waste of hard work. Those old-school mentalities don't work in the US. What price are you willing to pay (and not just financially)?

Things are NOT like they used to be. The "american dream" has turned out to be the "american nightmare" for some. Just turn on BBC news or read the news and talk to people who have struggled in the US and returned, or even traveled out. The world is quickly changing, the US included. If you are looking for a glamorous life and all that, don't believe the hype. Those village-types will always say, "Oh you know so and so in the US or UK?" "He/she is now a millionaire! There is too much money abroad. And we're here suffering!" Na story! Half the story is never the whole story! Please choose reality over a fantasy/dream, unless you find a way to find realty in your dream. Money is not flowing here, oh! Shine your eyes! A student visa job will NOT take care of you and your family! Do proper research before you make your decision! Why not make a trip to the US first to help you make a better decision. I think it would be wise before moving yourself and family out there. Things are not as they seem.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. I pray God gives you wisdom and continues to bless you and your family. All the best!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by tpia5: 2:17am On Aug 22, 2011
buzugee:

i sound emotional because i am emotional. doctor said it is something to do with my testosterone levels  embarassed he said i have more estrogen. anyway thats besides the point. the point is i am bored.  grin i am tryna kick some ruckus up in here, up in here. i am tryna stir the pot. kick some fuss. ruffle some feathers, unsettle some folks. its sundays evening lets make it happen. i assume of course that yall are here because you want to connect with fellow nigerians right ? or am i the only one  embarassed

hope you havent started sniffing that thing?
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by kinguy(m): 3:55am On Aug 22, 2011
Wt abt ur family, who do u live dem 2? hw do dey survive afta u live? how do u cater 4 ur childrens fees? Hw do u sponsor urself dia? If all these ar no prob. My broda ja comot 4 9ja!!!
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by enyhss(m): 4:29am On Aug 22, 2011
@beeman80,

My dear brother, I don't know If you'll have the time & or patience to read all I have to write,but I'll make it really simple: If you are not coming to the United States on Immigrant Visa, please stay in Nigeria & make the best of ''little'' opportunity(ies) you have as of now. But on the other hand, If you must come to the United States for whatever reasons or objectives, under any other Visa category,(including F1), based on you Family situation, You should be looking at minimum of 5 - 8 years before you actually ''Put your feet on the ground". What's gonna be your economic, financial or social status in 8 years If you stay back in Nigeria? Think about this.

America is a beautiful place, but all that glitters is not gold.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by bigeasy: 4:37am On Aug 22, 2011
hello friend am new here and my first time on this forum. i saw your message thats why am commenting on it now. first of all before you think of migrating, you need to think about many things in mind. the first been that, did i have a relative or friend out there who may support me in one way or the other when i arrive? do i have the money to sponsor myself or should i depends on parttime jobs to complete my studies etc etc. the questions are endless my friend. the truth is that migrating from home is still not yet the best option right now since you have a family because can tell what lies in waite there. US and europe are facing great recovery and people in thousands dont have a job. am saying from experience because i have travelled wild and i know what i went through for over 10 years leaving home just to make it the GREENER PASTURE ways. though is a eye opener but you will  first of all pass through hell before it get better, thats when you dont have anybody overther to care for you when you arrive. since i came home i have seen the difference, no place like home, forget the boko haram, armdrobery etc, more that all this are there too. think twice before you leap!!! smiley
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Select(m): 5:01am On Aug 22, 2011
Right.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by benom(m): 5:23am On Aug 22, 2011
Hey dude, I quit my bank job to come to the US as a student and I am doing very fine right now. No regrets at all. HOWEVER, I AM NOT MARRIED OR CATERING FOR ANYONE.
The jobs are scarce when u come in at first. After a while (Could be up to a year), things begin to ease up. The pay is very lean for students too. If you have some good skills especially in IT or Medicine, you can get a good job. Having some solid IT skills worked for me.
It is all about what you want. If it is what you want, then you can easily accept the outcome of your decision. There are people who have made it here. They were married and had nothing before they came. I also have friends back home that are doing very well. You should put 3 things into consideration
1. Why do you really want to come?
2. Can you sustain your family for at least a year without a good job?
3. Are you willing to accept the fact that it will take you a while and some good cash to settle down in a country like America.

I enjoy everything I do today and I am among those that will forever thank God for bringing me to America.
The real question is WHAT DO U WANT, Pray about it, take your decision and face the consequences. Home or Abroad, if you are where God wants you to be, you will prosper.
Don't forget, 'PRAYER IS THE KEY'

2 Likes

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by donclemo(m): 7:43am On Aug 22, 2011
Guy my advice for you would be to Play american visa lottery if u win then the idea sound good u can go to Usa . but going on student Visa if u dont have money ure screwed let me give u a break down - the average school fee in America for a semester is not less than $4000 dollars if you happen to get a job maybe u get paid 8 dollars an hour and u cant work more than 19 hours a week or maybe like $600 a month before tax u still have to pay house rent maybe 400- 600 dollars every month and phone bill 50dollars every month. tell me how do u intend to even eat self not to talk of paying your fees and beside with a student visa u cant work outside campus is this the life ure dreaming to leave in the Us. i know your dreams those dream can only be achieved when u have a green card or if u have plenty of money to last u a while to cover ur first school fees and to get u balanced. People have different story coming to the Us some good and some bad but the truth is that with a student visa there is no guarantee .
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 8:33am On Aug 22, 2011
shesi:

We need more information to really give helpful advice. First of all, what is your career. Don't just say IT. Be more specific. Engineering? management? sales? IT is a hot field in general but it is also very saturated with professionals. you need to know whether you can compete with other professionals in the field.

One thing i would advice against though is moving with your whole family at the onset? especially if it's your first time here. You need peace of mind, and freedom to be able to hustle your way into the system. and yes, it will be a hussle no matter how comfortable you are starting out. Unless you have a couple 100Ks to smooth the transition.

Best to test the waters first alone and then make your own decisions thereafter. Some people just cannot cope with certain aspects of life here and until you find out for yourself firsthand, you wouldn't know. Nobody can advice you there.

Overall though i would say go for it. Life is hard everywhere but it's a softer kind of hard here. If you are smart, work hard, and stay away from some bad habits, you will have at least a comfortable average life. Your life is more in your hands here. But it's not an easy life.

Good luck!
Thanks bruv!

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 8:44am On Aug 22, 2011
Lax75:

@ Poster:

First off, I understand your frustration with naija. But also know that everywhere has its good and bad. Here's my take. If you said you were trying to migrate during the Clinton era, and pre-911, I would have actually encouraged you to give it a shot. But now, the patriot act has made things super difficult for immigrants and the shot economy has made it even harder. On a daily basis, people are losing their jobs and companies are folding.

I have been on F1 visa once, however this was back during the Clinton years where getting a job off campus was not difficult. Drawback is that with an F1, you are only allowed to work 20 hours (though I know people who do 40 hours). Ofcourse the jobs you will get will be non-professional jobs. Do you intend on feeding and sustaining your family working at the mall as a security guard or a sales associate at say, Macy's?

What do you then do after you finish school? Will you apply for a H1 visa? That is so damn hard to get in this economy and these visas are in limited issuance each year (I think about 55,000 but don't quote me). The thing about H1 is that you are bound to that employer, and they tend to take advantage of that by paying you and keeping you on a crappy salary! Trust me I know because I've been there. After my F1, I was LUCKY enough to find a company to sponsor my H1 but in the 6 years I worked for this Bluechip company, my salary didnt even go up by $3,000!!! In 6 whole years! When I got my greencard and left the company, do you know my salary jumped up by 100%?? Just to give you an idea of how I had been underpaid all the previous years?

If you told me you won the Visa lottery, I would say give it a shot, even though it would still be a challenge given the state of the economy. In my honest opinion, Yanks is NOT all that at ALL. And I am one who has spent the majority of my life abroad (was taken to England since age 2, moved to naija and lived for about 7 years, then came to Yanks). My mom likes to call Yanks "no man's land of America." She can't stand this place (Mom lives in Naija). Don't get me wrong, Yanks has it advantages. But to me, the only thing good about this place is (1) Good education (2) The exposure and work experience (3) Their blue passport, Omo if you come this country and get these three things, I say get the hell out, move back home and start making things happen. It's what I plan on doing.

Even with Naija's challenges (power supply, armed robbers, bad roads, etc), you are still around your own people. You don't have to deal with the ignorance of stereotypes, the racism etc. Very depressing place and it's every man for himself. Unless you are the inferior-complexed kind of person, you would feel lost here. I know I do and I feel relieved anytime I'm out and about and I run into say any of my naija brothers. People I can relate to.

All the best brother.
I really felt your advice.Its a huge dilemma i am in right now.I am also worried about giving my kids the very BEST most of all.You know the dual citizenship thing that comes with the move.Mhhhhhh.Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by donsoft: 10:38am On Aug 22, 2011
@beeman80, it is a good thing to relocate to Yankee but you really have to consider a lot of things before taking your final decision. I will suggest you apply for Msc in some of the Canadian Province's eg Manitoba as that will automatically qualify you to apply for Permanent Residency immediately you graduate. Another option is to apply via the Quebec Province of Canada while you are still here working. If you are granted residency, you will take it step by step to relocate. The best you can get in USA after your studies is H1B visa which you can equally get from here. Your wife will be given H4 visa a non-working visa. The H1B visa will allow you work for the employer that sponsored your application. You may spend between 5 to 10 years before you can obain residency. All things been equal, citizenship will be granted three to five years afterwards. Relocating to Canada as a permanent resident will make life a lot easier for you and your family. You will otain your Canadian citizenship only three years in Canada. Once you are a citizen in Canada, you can work in USA if you so wish. Please be informed that Canadian passport is also as powerful as US passport and should be able to get you into over 150 countries without entry visa.

I have contributed my two cents. You have the final decision to take.

Good luck bro.

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 12:06pm On Aug 22, 2011
tpia@:

hope you havent started sniffing that thing?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin walahi talahi i havent. grin
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2011
Nija4Life:

@Beeman80
I think what you have asked for is advice but the decision whether to move or not will ultimately be yours, I don't think anyone should be telling you what to do quite frankly.

I believe you have received some very useful advice so far which mainly borders on the grim economic realities in the west and the better opportunities that may still be available out there regardless. You have to match these realities side by side with your current job and family circumstances and decide if it's a risk worth taking because let's face it, it is a risk. However, what you have to understand, that is if you don't already, is that greater success in life (depending on your definition of success) involves considerable risk taking and getting out of your comfort zone.

Listen, whatever you do, I wish you goodluck and ultimately God's wisdom in making the right decision for yourself and your family.

http://www.apenandaheart..com/
Thanks men!
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 12:52pm On Aug 22, 2011
lastpage:

Okay now, "Cicero" is Italian for "Family Head or Boss", right?
I give it to you Bruv, you're a real "Cicero"! Every letter of that word! kiss

Indulge me to quote you for a third time! grin
Man, you said it all.
But let me add a few more lines and dress it with "Salad cream".  grin

@Poster: You have a family; You have a not-so-bad job; You have an MSc; Thus: You're fairly doing well!
You want to "go to the next level", You are thinking ahead; You love your family and you want to "catapult them ahead, NEXT LEVEL" (as in U.S citizenship, in the long run).

Like Cicero mentioned, let me ask you more:
*What would you do if the American economy does not improve and getting a job proves very difficult for you?

*Knowing what it takes to "abandon and check-out", if it does not work out, how easy is it for you to "abandon and check-in" again? Note: You would have lost traction, footing an contacts!

*Are you the typical "Nigerian man" (the typical Ijesha man! grin ) who still believe in a "Matriarchal lifestyle" that says the man is the head of the family? Be advised, that dont work over here. I smell you have a loving wife and you love your family. Will you trade that for the level of "family breakdown" we have over here in the States and Europe? (Be aware, close to 85% of immigrant families that emigrate, get irreversibly broken down within 5yrs of emigration! reason being that our men are too stiff and rigid and would not be flexible enough to the western culture where the woman is the head of the family!).
I am harping more on this issue because [/b]"family is most important" as l see it and once "anyone" (God forbid its you) develop problems in that area, that fella, his wife and their children's dreams are ruined, the Oyinbo Social Welfare people would be too happy to help you break it down further, (We cant afford "another Obama" in the future you know! wink )
Would you trade your family happiness (wifey and children as you have it now) for that future Green Card? Which is more important to you?
[b]Be realistic, at 85% "black family"  [b]failure
rate, you can be the "struggling" 10% or the successful [/b]5%!

*Have you seen people who checked-out and came back when it did not work-out, can you talk to them and share experience so you can learn and not make the same error they made?

*Aside when someone is struggling to earn a living, what exactly do you think "abroad can provide for you" (which you cannot get by travelling there regularly on Holidays), that you think you cannot get or make a financial outlay to provide for yourself?

-Is it stable electricity? How about if you really make money and invest and install Solar cells on your own roof, completely independent of NEPA?
-Is it Security? If Security were so difficult or impossible to arrange, all those much-hated Politicians should have been dead by now, including the IBB's, OBJ's, e.t.c. It costs money, l know but it is achievable is what l am implying.
-Is it good schools for your kids? It cost money but l assure you there are some "private" schools that are better than U.K/U.S public schools in Nigeria today.
-Good medical care? C'mmon, EKO Hospital along Ikeja Road is open to everyone. Just go along with your big purse! wink

In essence, with money, you can provide the best for your family in Nigeria without making yourself "An Alien"  grin in a foreign country!

Now, on the[b] flip side[/b], can you cope with the derision of being discriminated against, at every turn, by govt Agents (Police, Customs, Immigration, Courts, e.t.c), ordinary White folks that are way below your level in Nigeria, (have you heard the term: Abroad is a leveler" before?)?

What about the weather? grin Until you live there, you wont know what l mean, walahi!
The cold can and have indeed shorten th elife span of some darky Nigerians O! shocked From Arthritis, back pain, heart conditions (due to lack of adequate exercise and not sweating enough!), e.t.c.

What about the restrictions on your ability to just decide to "do whatever you like, at any fecking time" (We Nigerians call it FREEDOM and l love it sooo much" Build any kind of house, withdraw or save any amount, buy any kind of car l like, speed as l like on the Express road!, even yab Policeman if he did not give me my correct recognition grin ). Abroad na different sroty o! You go 'paam' and gentle like mad!
At times, even to repatriate your hard-earned money home, can be a hassle as "The Govt owns you and Whatever you have" over here.

I can go on and on but at the end of the day, its a question of putting the "Pros and Cons on a balance" and seeing for yourself where it tips for you.
Its your decision, its your funeral and its your enjoyment in future: YOU BE THE BEST JUDGE.

No Pain, No Gain! Are you ready to make the sacrifices?

Good luck and l pray that God of heaven will give you the wisdom to choose that which is right and most beneficial to you and your family, in the long run.

Cheers,
Lastpage.

Ajoo o'dabi ile, No matter where you dey, remember Area o! (Sings that "Faze" song and smacks it down with some cans of red Bull! ) wink
You make sense and the song was actually by SOUNSULTAN.Laughs! wink
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2011
dinggle:

If you are going for MBA in IT go for Cyber security, you stand a great chance for a good job, however your family could suffer and the trickle effect could affect your kids. Life will be hard except you already have a good savings of N3-N5million to maintain your family and self during your studies. I would say continue with your job and take an online course in cyber security then try your hands on lottery visa. Be smart! Even migrating with lottery visa is a challenge if u don't have anyone here.
Mhhhh.Pls could u recommend a school?Hope its not so expensive.Thanks bruv.I owe u one.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 1:14pm On Aug 22, 2011
Jiah011:

Even for those of us born in diaspora, things are not promising. I have two degrees (BA and Masters) and I am feverishly looking for employment here in the US. I'm even thinking of coming to Naija or (some other country) to look at job prospects there or to help develop Nigeria. A lot of people are unemployed. Those menial jobs you could get on a student visa are now what people are turning to because the big jobs are unavailable. Experience and connections are really what will get you a good job currently in the US, and as a foreigner these may be hard to get. Talk less of someone from Nigeria coming to the US, and with a wife and kids. You already have a decent job.

Bro, things are really tough right now because of the economy and things seem to be getting worse. Let's say you decide to come here and with much difficulty and personal investment, you complete your program. I'm not even sure anyone can say what america will look like by then. To start looking for job and to build a life here, it's tough. Immigration will soon be in the presidential debates, as is the economy, and I'm not sure what will be the outcome. Also you and your family will change. Your wife and children will be different, just like you will have to be different to adapt to the culture and survive. You just have to change in many ways or you won't make it together. If you change for the better, that will be great. But if you change for the worse, that will be a waste of hard work. Those old-school mentalities don't work in the US. What price are you willing to pay (and not just financially)?

Things are NOT like they used to be. The "american dream" has turned out to be the "american nightmare" for some. Just turn on BBC news or read the news and talk to people who have struggled in the US and returned, or even traveled out. The world is quickly changing, the US included. If you are looking for a glamorous life and all that, don't believe the hype. Those village-types will always say, "Oh you know so and so in the US or UK?" "He/she is now a millionaire! There is too much money abroad. And we're here suffering!" Na story! Half the story is never the whole story! Please choose reality over a fantasy/dream, unless you find a way to find realty in your dream. Money is not flowing here, oh! Shine your eyes! A student visa job will NOT take care of you and your family! Do proper research before you make your decision! Why not make a trip to the US first to help you make a better decision. I think it would be wise before moving yourself and family out there. Things are not as they seem.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. I pray God gives you wisdom and continues to bless you and your family. All the best!
Thanks dearie.This really touched me.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Gnexplore: 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2011
Great that you posted this here , sure there are many in same shoe like u.
"
More great,  are all who have taking time to advice you.

I know either u travel or not, u need financial discipline to succeed, and that u need ur wife support.
on this note, I will ask you to discuss your intentions and the advice (good ppl of NL) have left here with u wife. If
she understand the big picture , pros and consd
cons, u will be amazed at her reply. If u both are same page, u likely to make a better decision.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 1:25pm On Aug 22, 2011
donsoft:

@beeman80, it is a good thing to relocate to Yankee but you really have to consider a lot of things before taking your final decision. I will suggest you apply for Msc in some of the Canadian Province's eg Manitoba as that will automatically qualify you to apply for Permanent Residency immediately you graduate. Another option is to apply via the Quebec Province of Canada while you are still here working. If you are granted residency, you will take it step by step to relocate. The best you can get in USA after your studies is H1B visa which you can equally get from here. Your wife will be given H4 visa a non-working visa. The H1B visa will allow you work for the employer that sponsored your application. You may spend between 5 to 10 years before you can obain residency. All things been equal, citizenship will be granted three to five years afterwards. Relocating to Canada as a permanent resident will make life a lot easier for you and your family. You will otain your Canadian citizenship only three years in Canada. Once you are a citizen in Canada, you can work in USA if you so wish. Please be informed that Canadian passport is also as powerful as US passport and should be able to get you into over 150 countries without entry visa.

I have contributed my two cents. You have the final decision to take.

Good luck bro.
How do I go about it? I hope I wont get to do the GMAT cos I already have a masters degree and hope I will not be required to pay the fees until I get there.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by moremi2008(m): 2:05pm On Aug 22, 2011
A lot of people have given you really good advice. Look very well before you leap. In the process of chasing "dual-citizenship" for your children, you might end up losing your entire family. America is not a joke. It is merciless. Even friends and family that promise to "sponsor" you will kick you out after a few months if you aren't contributing anything to the household. Don't let anyone fool you that you can get a decent job on an F1 visa. It's a lie. If you're lucky, you will find a job that'll help with pocket-money and living expenses. Forget about about funding tuition/books with a student job for two reasons 1) the US is flooded with cheap labor from illegal Mexican immigrants. Things are so bad now, even the illegal Mexicans are heading back to Mexico. All the jobs that prior generations of Nigerian students used to support themselves are gone. Don't bring your family here on somebody's expired advice. 2) Good graduate programs in the US are difficult. I just don't see how you can work enough hours to pay tuition and still do well in class while remaining sane. Don't even contemplate bringing your family with you because that's going to be extra mouths to feed.

You should only consider coming to the US on an F1 visa if 1) You have enough money saved-up to pay for tuition/books and a little extra in case you can't find a job immediately and 2) Your wife has a good job and can support herself and the children back in Nigeria. Leaving your family in Nigeria is safer and saner - you won't have to worry about the extra mouths depending on you while you hustle and bustle and you will have a solid home base to return to in case things don't work-out as planned.

Good luck! And please, don't make the terrible mistake I have seen a lot of people make by leaving all in Nigeria in search of greener pastures in the US. Some of them live HORRIBLE lives here (even some with green cards).
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by 234GT(m): 2:06pm On Aug 22, 2011
poster. its a shame that you dont value what you have. i pray you go and suffer so that you will be an example to other people.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by benom(m): 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2011
234GT:

poster. its a shame that you dont value what you have. i pray you go and suffer so that you will be an example to other people.

Terribly wrong comment !!!
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 3:31pm On Aug 22, 2011
moremi2008:

A lot of people have given you really good advice. Look very well before you leap. In the process of chasing "dual-citizenship" for your children, you might end up losing your entire family. America is not a joke. It is merciless. Even friends and family that promise to "sponsor" you will kick you out after a few months if you aren't contributing anything to the household. Don't let anyone fool you that you can get a decent job on an F1 visa. It's a lie. If you're lucky, you will find a job that'll help with pocket-money and living expenses. Forget about about funding tuition/books with a student job for two reasons 1) the US is flooded with cheap labor from illegal Mexican immigrants. Things are so bad now, even the illegal Mexicans are heading back to Mexico. All the jobs that prior generations of Nigerian students used to support themselves are gone. Don't bring your family here on somebody's expired advice. 2) Good graduate programs in the US are difficult. I just don't see how you can work enough hours to pay tuition and still do well in class while remaining sane. Don't even contemplate bringing your family with you because that's going to be extra mouths to feed.

You should only consider coming to the US on an F1 visa if 1) You have enough money saved-up to pay for tuition/books and a little extra in case you can't find a job immediately and 2) Your wife has a good job and can support herself and the children back in Nigeria. Leaving your family in Nigeria is safer and saner - you won't have to worry about the extra mouths depending on you while you hustle and bustle and you will have a solid home base to return to in case things don't work-out as planned.

Good luck! And please, don't make the terrible mistake I have seen a lot of people make by leaving all in Nigeria in search of greener pastures in the US. Some of them live HORRIBLE lives here (even some with green cards).
Thanks bruv!
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2011
@OP,
Seriously now. If you have an okay job in Nigeria, why do you want to move to the US?
That kind of migration doesn't seem to be fashionable anymore, I think. With all the reactionary immigration policies, and the state of those economies, you might not find it funny out there.

If you have a good job, then save up or invest in an educational trust or something, then you can send your kids to school there.
On the other hand, something tells me you're just having people on undecided
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by kc2dey: 5:37pm On Aug 22, 2011
@poster, well, I think it depends on you.  I just came back from US this summer, I also have masters degree in structural engineering from US.

Granted, US is far better than Nigeria in many ways. But I am yet to see any reason why you would not regret your move to US if your wife does not have the means to cater for your children while you are away. Definitely as a student, US wont give you and your family a visa without a strong financial background that is even traceable to your sponsor or your established personal business/property.

However, your choice of studying in US is a good one, very good one. I am presently trying to see if there is any school in Nigeria where I can go for my PhD in Engineering or related discipline but none yet, so I may still have to look back to US or Canada or UK at worst.  But I have not actually seen the way someone doing well here in Nigeria would have less chance of better success than someone in US particularly when you are not a citizen. No job, nothing. Unemployment is on the rise in the US, the only peace is because the citizens who are jobless usually get social benefit.

For me, US is good for everything but not to live my life as a non citizen. In any case, as a student, you can still work illegally outside your school but that will be like  a peanut pay relatively. Why would you chose to work illegally when you already have one that is legal?

Think twice or even thrice

Kc
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 5:50pm On Aug 22, 2011
If you were single I would have advised you to try it, but with a family who would be dependent on you? Abeg no try am at all
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by babaijesha: 6:44pm On Aug 22, 2011
I will advise you to stay in Nigeria, If its about MBA, you can always do a distance learning MBA from these foreign university without wahala of immigration and huge tuition fees. Most pple in Nigeria are opting out for that option.

If you feel na must you wan leave Nija, you can opt out for processing of Canada/Aussie immigration while you are sill on you job for Naija,

Dont quit your job, U will know the meaning when you dont know where the next meal is coming from , it makes things worse when you have a family , Shikena
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by lastpage: 11:13pm On Aug 22, 2011
@Beeman80
You make sense and the song was actually by SOU[b]N[/b]SULTAN.Laughs! Wink

Thanks very much, l aint that "current" but the song strikes a chord in me all the time! I have a few kids growing up 'abroad" and only one of them UNDERSTANDS my 'native language', non of them can even speak it! Its such a shame! cry cry

I guess you mean "SOU[b]L[/b]Sultan"? grin wink

BTW: You've shown "averse-ness" to the GMAT exam a few times? Why?
Its no bigggy at all, just like the normal Pre-Employment Aptitude tests.
I doubt you will find a way around doing it.
Why not take one NOW that you're actually not under pressure, just "for practice" you'know?

Goodluck.

Lastpage.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by mercydrops: 12:29am On Aug 23, 2011
If you can dream big there are a lot of oppourtunities , more exposure , who says Nigerian certificate or Nigerian graduates are not recognised in the States all i will say is make more researches and seek the face of God for leading , some went and made it out there and some didn't
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by fabienjoe: 2:43am On Aug 23, 2011
Reality: You are set up for incredibly difficult time abroad - Student Visa with a family to feed. The odds can't be greater! And who is to say that when you manage to graduate you will secure a decent job? I received a call one day from a friend asking if I can buy a particular car. The seller? A Nigerian man in his 50's that has spent decades in the UK, fully legal, British passport and all and doing a graduate job but happened to just lose his mum. He was
desperately struggling to raise cash for his mum's burial in Nigeria. Many people are stuck abroad, looking for a way out of the mess. Many have lost their wives on account of difficulty. Even single people find life extremely challenging. You may find youself doing menial jobs to support your family and unable to attend the school as planned and before you know it, 5 to 6 years have passed and the decision will now be to stay and struggle for citizenship, career forgotten. The citizenship may still end up being a mirage. Going to a new country is like being thrown into the ocean, you can be safe but you need a lot of swimming; Going with a family is like having a stone suspended on your neck prior to being thrown into the ocean! Not impossible but not a choice I would make. I remember my first visit to the UK. I met a guy on my flight back home who asked me on arrival at Abuja if I lived and worked there and I answered in the affirmative. He said I was lucky. I was puzzled why someone living in London would consider me living in Abuja lucky. A UK masters degree later and still living in the UK but wishing that 'blip' in my career never happened, I can now relate to 'my luck' which unfortunately, I squandered!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cambodia / Nigerian Man Used Me For Money And Citizenship / Lagos State BRT Bus Cowry Card And Mobile App: Everything You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.