Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,298 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Western Culture Vs African Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Western Culture Vs African Culture (24255 Views)

Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike. / African Culture Is Dying! / Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Western Culture Vs African Culture by olawalebabs(m): 12:33pm On Aug 18, 2011
I just have a discussion with a friend about the western culture and African culture, He point out that we have the best culture than the western world, which I disagree. He mention the "African greetings", "respect for elder" and the likes as what makes us superior, when compare with the way the it is are down there.

When i check the elementary definition of culture, it is define as "the total way of life of people, which include language, food, dress, religion and social life'. therefore, if by the kids not respecting their elder is there culture, and they have result for it (development) and we that have that respect, we are still under develop, i think the culture that is producing result is better. what do you think?
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by Rgp92: 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2011
Western Culture is better. Btw im a pro african, by that doesnt make me blind.
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by ChinenyeN(m): 7:35pm On Aug 18, 2011
Let's try this: What are the first four things that come to mind when you think "African Culture"? What are the first four things you associate with "African Culture"?
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by nolongTing: 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2011
olawalebab:

I just have a discussion with a friend about the western culture and African culture, He point out that we have the best culture than the western world, which I disagree. He mention the "African greetings", "respect for elder" and the likes as what makes us superior, when compare with the way the it is are down there.

When i check the elementary definition of culture, it is define as "the total way of life of people, which include language, food, dress, religion and social life'. therefore, if by the kids not respecting their elder is there culture, and they have result for it (development) and we that have that respect, we are still under develop, i think the culture that is producing result is better. what do you think?

I would define culture as: a set of rules and procedures for solving problems and meeting needs.

You don't have a culture for the sake of having it – its primary aim is to solve problems. I will also add that there is a strong correlation between Language and Culture. When a culture no longer solves problems to meet the needs of the participants it must be transformed. The transformation will be based on solving those needs. If people abandon there culture they will die, why because they are no longer meeting their needs or solving the problems that confront them.
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by tpia5: 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2011
nolongTing:

I would define culture as: a set of rules and procedures for solving problems and meeting needs.

You don't have a culture for the sake of having it – its primary aim is to solve problems.  I will also add that there is a strong correlation between Language and Culture.  When a culture no longer solves problems to meet the needs of the participants it must be transformed.  The transformation will be based on solving those needs.  If people abandon there culture they will die, why because they are no longer meeting their needs or solving the problems that confront them.

what the f.ok are you doing here now you st.u.pi.d muva f.ok.er? This topic is beyond your basic comprehension level. Now go back to the ROMANCE section and talk about your PINK panties you smelly tranny! grin grin grin grin
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by Rgp92: 8:13pm On Aug 22, 2011
tpia@:

what the f.ok are you doing here now you st.u.pi.d muva f.ok.er? This topic is beyond your basic comprehension level. Now go back to the ROMANCE section and talk about your PINK panties you smelly tranny! grin grin grin grin

Tpia, are you in love with nolongTing? grin grin
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by suyu: 2:24pm On Jul 21, 2012
Rgp92: Western Culture is better. Btw im a pro african, by that doesnt make me blind.

nonsence
Re: Western Culture Vs African Culture by Nobody: 2:37am On Sep 30, 2012
They both have a lot to learn from each other. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo / Alaafin Of Oyo And His Oloris At Eid Prayer Ground In Oyo (photos) / Photos From The Burial Of Alfred Akawe-Torkula

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.