Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria (2125 Views)

Update Pictures Of My ROADSIDE Trip From California to Las Vegas / My Trip From Lagos To Ethiopia, Kenya And Mauritius Island / My Trip From Benin City To SINGAPORE (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 2:48am On Oct 21, 2022
Hello Nairalanders, my name is Ed Wonder. I am cycling across West Africa and I am creating this topic to document my cycling adventure from Senegal to Nigeria.

Pic 1. Departure from Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos to Dakar, the starting point.
Pic 2. Bike Check-in
Pic 3. Arrival Blaise Diagne International Airport, Dakar
Pic 4. African Renaissance Monument, Dakar

4 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by NotBeenPaid: 2:53am On Oct 21, 2022

Safe trip on your adventures.

2 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by 1Alex: 3:01am On Oct 21, 2022
edwonderz:
Hello Nairalanders, my name is Ed Wonder. I am creating this topic to document my cycling adventure from Senegal to Nigeria.

Pic 1. Departure Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos
Pic 2. Bike Check-in
Pic 3. Arrival Blaise Diagne International Airport
Senegal to Nigeria? So Murtala Mohammed Airport is in Senegal? Abi eye dey pain me?

2 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 3:29am On Oct 21, 2022
I plan to cover a total distance of 4,300km cycling across 11 countries and 12 borders.
Senegal - Gambia - Senegal - Guinea Bissau - Guinea - Sierra Leone - Liberia - Ivory Coast - Ghana - Togo - Benin - Nigeria

Pic 1. African Renaissance Monument
Pic 2. My life on two wheels
Pic 3. Official takeoff
Pic 4. Senegalese jollof rice

2 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Tokskob2008: 3:36am On Oct 21, 2022
Bicycle trip through the airport....hmmm

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by judatech: 3:42am On Oct 21, 2022
Safe adventures!
I'll be following you...
More pics...ok?

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 3:49am On Oct 21, 2022
I rode 200km on the first day from Dakar to Kaloack. Apart from music, the other unique thing about Senegal is the fitness culture. Dakar for instance, is known as one of the most fitness-focused cities in Africa, and the keep-fit craze can be seen even amongst kids.
On my way to Kaolack I met some children at one of Senegal capital's stadiums who wanted to use the facility but couldn't get in because they obviously can't afford the ticket. As part of the work I'm doing with young people across the continent, I took permission from the authority and bought them tickets granting them ACCESS to the stadium because I know among them is the next Sadio Mané, Messi or Ronaldo who just need an opportunity to express themselves.

The last picture is my favourite; Messi + Ronaldo ��

4 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Seaen(m): 3:49am On Oct 21, 2022
Following. Safe Adventures
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 4:10am On Oct 21, 2022
The Adventure Begins.

After spending 7 hours on the bike ride, I arrived in Kaolack but found out that all the hotels in this town are fully booked, I mean every single hotel. I checked bookings dot come and hotels dot come but no room was found. Luckily Airbnb had only 2 listings. I sent the hosts messages but neither of them replied. See gbese!

How can every single hotel in this big Senegalese town be booked out? I rhetorically asked myself. I thought maybe something was wrong with the online search results so I decided to use Google Maps and ride to the hotels to inquire in person. I checked 13 different hotels but got the same answer, " we are fully booked". It was 11:30pm I was tired, sleepy, and hungry with no idea where I was going to sleep. Then I remember one Nigerian Instagram trending reel that says "My brother no matter what you are passing through make sure you eat first".
That was how I slightest one nice restaurant on the road and placed an order of baguette and cheps (Senegalese version of jollof rice) with a cold bottle of soft drink....

To be continued...

Pic 1. Welcome to Kaolack
Pic 2. Distance covered
Pic 3. 11:30pm in Kaolack
Pic 4. Food hunt

3 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 4:20am On Oct 21, 2022
NotBeenPaid:

Safe trip on your adventures.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 4:21am On Oct 21, 2022
Seaen:
Following. Safe Adventures
Thank you�
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 4:21am On Oct 21, 2022
judatech:
Safe adventures!
I'll be following you...
More pics...ok?
Ok, thank you.
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Ahmed0336(m): 4:51am On Oct 21, 2022
Will you ply Maiduguri down to Lagos? Just asking for a friend grin

Safe adventures!!!

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by blaquebelle: 5:01am On Oct 21, 2022
You're cute. Safe trip. smiley
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by otijah(m): 5:09am On Oct 21, 2022
blaquebelle:
You're cute. Safe trip. smiley
just be following in peace

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Sweetvie: 5:39am On Oct 21, 2022
I love adventure grin
Safe trip cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by sunnymighty(m): 6:24am On Oct 21, 2022
Following
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Skyfornia(m): 6:31am On Oct 21, 2022
edwonderz:
Hello Nairalanders, my name is Ed Wonder. I am cycling across West Africa and I am creating this topic to document my cycling adventure from Senegal to Nigeria.

Pic 1. Departure from Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos to Dakar, the starting point.
Pic 2. Bike Check-in
Pic 3. Arrival Blaise Diagne International Airport, Dakar

Oga stop confusing us
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Fulanbanza: 6:34am On Oct 21, 2022
edwonderz:
I plan to cover a total distance of 4,300km cycling across 11 countries and 12 borders.
Senegal - Gambia - Senegal - Guinea Bissau - Guinea - Sierra Leone - Liberia - Ivory Coast - Ghana - Togo - Benin - Nigeria

Pic 1. African Renaissance Monument
Pic 2. My life on two wheels
Pic 3. Official takeoff
Pic 4. Senegalese jollof rice
wao Our naija Bike hero, I wish you a safe trip....Edward d wonder man
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:25am On Oct 21, 2022
So much distance, WOW! Also, nice gear + the Access bank top.
Be careful about the wildlife in certain areas wink

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by BlowAwwal01(m): 10:36am On Oct 21, 2022
Good luck and be safe.
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by aieromon(m): 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2022
edwonderz:

Enjoy the ride and do remember to update your travel story.

Is Access Bank sponsoring any part of this activity?
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by aieromon(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2022
edwonderz:
Senegal - Gambia - Guinea Bissau - Guinea - Sierra Leone - Liberia - Ivory Coast - Ghana - Togo - Benin - Nigeria

How many days do you intend to complete this journey?

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Orire01(m): 6:20pm On Oct 21, 2022
edwonderz:

Following and safe trip

By the way is Accessbank sponsoring this?
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by KingBosco(m): 9:03pm On Oct 21, 2022
OP, nice one. Wish you a safe adventure.
FOLLOWING
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Mystery9(m): 10:27pm On Oct 21, 2022
This is beautiful... I will be following live. Safe trip sir.
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Chukz001(m): 11:39pm On Oct 21, 2022
Following
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by samuel19222(m): 11:39pm On Oct 21, 2022
nice one
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by sukkot: 12:44am On Oct 22, 2022
wow this is amazing
Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by Karlovych: 2:36am On Oct 22, 2022
Impressive!! Good luck in your journey but you should have embarked on the trip with Lamidi the cyclist

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by edwonderz(m): 3:58am On Oct 22, 2022
edwonderz:
The Adventure Begins.

After spending 7 hours on the bike ride, I arrived in Kaolack but found out that all the hotels in this town are fully booked, I mean every single hotel. I checked bookings dot come and hotels dot come but no room was found. Luckily Airbnb had only 2 listings. I sent the hosts messages but neither of them replied. See gbese!

How can every single hotel in this big Senegalese town be booked out? I rhetorically asked myself. I thought maybe something was wrong with the online search results so I decided to use Google Maps and ride to the hotels to inquire in person. I checked 13 different hotels but got the same answer, " we are fully booked". It was 11:30pm I was tired, sleepy, and hungry with no idea where I was going to sleep. Then I remember one Nigerian Instagram trending reel that says "My brother no matter what you are passing through make sure you eat first".
That was how I slightest one nice restaurant on the road and placed an order of baguette and cheps (Senegalese version of jollof rice) with a cold bottle of soft drink....

To be continued...

Pic 1. Welcome to Kaolack
Pic 2. Distance covered
Pic 3. 11:30pm in Kaolack
Pic 4. Food hunt

Kaolack is a commercial town in west-central Senegal, a major peanut marketing and exporting centre. The town is not a tourist destination yet all the hotels were fully booked, perhaps there was a big event going on. Luckily, one of the Airbnb hosts reached out to me just before midnight. The following day I set out early for Banjul, Gambia. After 90km I arrived at Karang a border town between Senegal and Gambia.
"Bonjour monsieur" I greeted the Senegalese immigration officer as I handed my passport over to him. He requested 5,000 CFA to stamp it. I chuckled and asked him why do I need to pay to get an exit stamp on my ecowas passport, he said that was the procedure.
"Haba I can't go through hell travelling in East Africa with my green passport and then come to West Africa to experience the same. No way! No immigration will extort me on this trip", I replied. Then he sluggishly returned my passport. I had no issues getting the entry stamp on the Gambian side, the immigration officers were friendly, and none of them tried to extort me. I cleared the immigration and rode another 22km to Barra terminal where I took a 30-minute ferry to Banjul.

Welcome to The Gambia - The Smiling Coast of Africa.

Pic 1: Karang Border
Pic 2: View from the ferry
Pic 3: Welcome to Banjul
Pic 4: Access Bank Gambia

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Trip From Dakar, Senegal To Lagos, Nigeria by sunnymighty(m): 7:00am On Oct 22, 2022
This adventure was sponsored by Access bank, I guess.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Struggles Any Nigerian Who Has Done Masters Abroad Will Understand / Anyone In The Uk planning a short trip to Dubai For This August Bank Holiday? / Nigerians In Marseille - Why Are We Like This??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.