Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders (1656 Views)

Moment Senator Omisore Arrived But Was Shut Out Of APC Emergency Meeting / Alaba Market Fire: Police Arrested "Suspected Criminals", Set Shanties On Fire / Folashade Tinubu Ojo: Oyingbo Market Was Closed By The LG Due To Hygiene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by Tunjibalogun: 8:47am On Oct 22, 2022
Moh247:

My Family owns a warehouse in that same Alaba so I know practically what is going on
That's good. It's nice to know

Because most people erroneously think only igbos own shops and warehouses there, which is misleading
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by system21: 9:23am On Oct 22, 2022
Moh247:

Some idiots on Nairaland are so emotional without getting logical

My family owns Cloud frieght and logistics and we have a warehouse in Alaba, most of our customers bringing in containers from UK are in Alaba and I know what's going on between the host commiunity and the Iba igbo elerin Royals and cheifs

You guys are just fooling yourself if you think you can get Alaba from Iba people

Good luck as you try
You get sense at all? Wetin concern Alaba with Iba people? Do you even know where Alaba is?
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by DMerciful(m): 9:40am On Oct 22, 2022
If you don't want Igbos in Nigeria, say so. We dont want to be in Nigeria likewise!
Moh247:
cool

Local Government and Ruling family members with the monarchs control all markets in Nigeria according to Nigerian constituition except Federal Government markets like trade fair

Obi of Onistsha controls Main market Onistsha

Oba of Iba controls Alaba market

Oba of Lagos controls Balogun market

Instead of finding a peaceful resolution with the host commiunity, they are ranting and fighting..

Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by Moh247: 9:46am On Oct 22, 2022
DMerciful:
If you don't want Igbos in Nigeria, say so. We dont want to be in Nigeria likewise!

Me a Yoruba boy, whenever I have issues to clear in Alaba, I call Bartez an Ibo guy and pays him to sort things... You guys call him agbero but he works for the local government and the traditional institution , he has a family and they love him

Suddenly you Ibos would start forming victims again

Una matter tire person
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by Moh247: 9:50am On Oct 22, 2022
joyandfaith:

It is wrong for thugs to collect revenues for government at any level. This is not tribal issue. Lagos state government encorages thuggery. There are igbo, hausa and yoruba thugs. Thuggery driven revenue generation is not barbaric.
Obas have no power over markets. Obas have no constitutional roles.

Unfortunately a graduate can't go to collect revenue at garage and markets LGA would keep employing the people you call thugs
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by DMerciful(m): 9:52am On Oct 22, 2022
Agberos should be done away with. We cannot reinforce the old ways with enthusiasm forever.

Mind you every inch of Nigeria belongs to all Nigerians equally so if we're not ready to form a nation, why are we together? It would be better to dissolve the country so every major nationality can control their land and resources 100%. This presence of compatriots sulks!
Moh247:

Me a Yoruba boy, whenever I have issues to clear in Alaba, I call Bartez an Ibo guy and pays him to sort things... You guys call him agbero but he works for the local government and the traditional institution , he has a family and they love him

Una matter tire person
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by OsunOriginal: 9:56am On Oct 22, 2022
system21:
This thread is to clarify the misinformation on this top

https://www.nairaland.com/7392840/real-owners-lagos-locked-alaba

The leadership of Alaba International Market on Thursday justified why it shut down the market following Wednesday’s clash between traders and tax collectors.

The PUNCH reports thahttps://www.nairaland.com/7392840/real-owners-lagos-locked-alabat one person was feared killed and several others injured on Wednesday when traders clashed with some tax collectors, aka agberos, at the Alaba International Market, in the Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State.

The warring factions, who were in their hundreds, deployed different weapons, including stones, cutlasses, wood and axes, during the affray.

A video clip seen by our correspondent on social media and confirmed to be from the clash, showed the two groups hurling cudgels at one another.

But in a statement on Thursday, the Alaba International Amalgamated Traders association said the need to protect lives and properties informed their decision to shut down the market.

“The extreme extortion going on, especially between Volkswagen bus stop and Alaba market is becoming so unbearable as traders are made to pay a fully cleared container or a truck a whooping sum of N70,000 to N100,000 before they can be allowed to convey their goods to the market; it is the same for those supplying goods from their warehouses.

“For traders who cannot afford or who hesitate to pay are either beaten up or wounded. Sadly enough, only yesterday we woke up to the information that a new loading point was to be instituted on the already constricted Alaba road which has already been taken over by petty traders who were given portions to display wares to the detriment of existing shop owners, also completely defacing this market of international repute.

“To ensure this issue was handled amicably, the Alaba amalgamated leaders quickly contacted the executive chairman of Ojo Local Government who promised to call them to order, we also contacted the interim caretaker committee chairman who also promised to call them to order but surprisingly on Tuesday the 19TH of October we were greeted with chaos in our market as hoodlums that we cannot quantify trooped into the market with guns, machete, and other dangerous weapons; shooting and maiming both buyers and traders who are doing their legitimate business to the extent that some were killed and several other wounded.

“To this end, we want to say enough is enough! The Alaba international market traders association has decided to shut down the entire market till further notice to avoid further loss of lives and property and will remain shut till:

“These criminals are arrested and brought to justice. The Removal of all kiosks/petty traders causing blockade along Alaba international market road. That all toll collection points will be at the Volkswagen bus stop and the chemists’ bus stop. The Reduction in outrageous fees collected from containers, trucks, and other vehicles,”.

https://punchng.com/why-alaba-market-was-shut-down-traders/?amp

Whoever sells there or brings in containers must pay whatever tax the guys ask for. You can't eat your cake and have it.
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by joyandfaith: 9:57am On Oct 22, 2022
Moh247:

Unfortunately a graduate can't go to collect revenue at garage and markets LGA would keep employing the people you call thugs

Political thugs are revenue collectors. Connect the dot.
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by KingOfTheDamned: 10:10am On Oct 22, 2022
Moh247:

Una matter tire person

GUY!!! YOU ARE CHRONIC TALKATIVE. YOU SRE SO ADDICTED YO TALKING ITS SHAMEFUL.

DUDE YOU SHOULD SHUT THR FÚCK UP
Re: Why Alaba Market Was Shut Down – Traders by Oksman(m): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2022
Moh247:

Only a foolish person would see tribe or ethnicity in my comment

But your comment is indeed a foolish one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Herds Men Kill 10 In Enugu Community. Pictures Attached. / The ABC Of Osun Case For Layman By Prof Misbau Alamu / Deji Adeyanju Makes U-Turn, Says Atiku May Win As Jungle Continues To Mature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.