Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? (1707 Views)

Did Jesus Tell Lies? / Why Did Jesus Call His Disciples Little Children? / Jesus Told His Disciples To Take A Donkey And Colt Without The Owner's Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 12:40am On Oct 24, 2022
Good day, fellas. Why did Jesus tell His disciples to buy sword? According to the Book of Luke22:36-38. What kind of sword was Jesus referring abt? Is it the Physical sword or the Bible? Kobojunkie, this question is majorly for u and MaxinDHouse who against Christians' self-defence. How did Peter got the sword he had if it wasn't bought?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Lifestone(m): 4:01am On Oct 24, 2022
Maybe if you read further down to verse 50 and 51of that chapter, your concerns would have been cleared

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 6:54am On Oct 24, 2022
Lifestone:
Maybe if you read further down to verse 50 and 51of that chapter, your concerns would have been cleared
That hasn't answered the question. Jesus wanted to be arrested because of His mission on earth. Why did Jesus tell his disciples to buy sword?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:34am On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
That hasn't answered the question. Jesus wanted to be arrested because of His mission on earth. Why did Jesus tell his disciples to buy sword?

It tells you what is coming next! Did someone say Day of Vengeance?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:13am On Oct 24, 2022
I think it was not for self-defence or to kill or injure others, but to teach His disciples self-control among other orientation He wanted to inculcate into them, such as, "He that lives by the sword, dies by the sword", hence His chiding Peter for using it violently while trying to protect Him and also healing the person that Peter wounded as a result with His sword.

Jesus wanted His disciples to have a similar orientation to His because He had a much more powerful and greater weapon than the sword which could be used to destroy all His human enemies in one swipe. Yet He never used it to destroy men's lives but to heal and save them as He showed on that particular occasion.

That was the same weapon His disciples were going to be equipped with after He was gone, so He needed them to have a similar orientation to His. This is the reason why despite also having such a powerful weapon at their disposal which could also be used to destroy men's lives, His disciples were not known for using such for that purpose but to heal and save men's lives as their Master would.

God bless.

5 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 3:08pm On Oct 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

It tells you what is coming next! Did someone say Day of Vengeance?
What was coming next? I don't get u.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 3:10pm On Oct 24, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
I think it was not for self-defence or to kill or injure others, but to teach His disciples self-control among other orientation He wanted to inculcate into them, such as, "He that lives by the sword, dies by the sword", hence His chiding Peter for using it violently while trying to protect Him and also healing the person that Peter wounded as a result with His sword.

Jesus wanted His disciples to have a similar orientation to His because He had a much more powerful and greater weapon than the sword which could be used to destroy all His human enemies in one swipe. Yet He never used it to destroy men's lives but to heal and save them as He showed on that particular occasion.

That was the same weapon His disciples were going to be equipped with after He was gone, so He needed them to have a similar orientation to His. This is the reason why despite also having such a powerful weapon at their disposal which could also be used to destroy men's lives, His disciples were not known for using such for that purpose but to heal and save men's lives as their Master would.

God bless.
I think it was for self-defense otherwise, Jesus wouldn't have told them to do so.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by jesusjnr2020(m): 3:24pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
I think it was for self-defense otherwise, Jesus wouldn't have told them to do so.
If He said it for that purpose, why didn't He support Peter when he use it in self-defence?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 3:58pm On Oct 24, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
If He said it for that purpose, why didn't He support Peter when he use it in self-defence?
Jesus didn't allow Peter to use it because it would hinder His mission on earth(to die for the sins of men). Note: Even before Jesus was arrested, Peter never wanted Jesus to die. That was why when Jesus told His disciples abt how He would suffer and die on the cross, Peter opposed Jesus for saying such. Jesus rebuked Peter for not accepting( He called Peter devil).

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2022
Steep, TenQ, what do u have to say abt this?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:31pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
Jesus didn't allow Peter to use it because it would hinder His mission on earth(to die for the sins of men). Note: Even before Jesus was arrested, Peter never wanted Jesus to die. That was why when Jesus told His disciples abt how He would suffer and die on the cross, Peter opposed Jesus for saying such. Jesus rebuked Peter for not accepting( He called Peter devil).
You're right that Jesus didn't want Peter to use it to hinder His mission, however was that also the reason Jesus healed the man's ear and also told Peter, "He that lives by the sword, would die by the sword"? If Jesus wanted Peter to use the sword afterwards, why would He tell Him that?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 5:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
You're right that Jesus didn't want Peter to use it to hinder His mission, however was that also the reason Jesus healed the man's ear and also told Peter, "He that lives by the sword, would die by the sword"? If Jesus wanted Peter to use the sword afterwards, why would He tell Him that?
Jesus must have seen the heart of Peter and his intentions. Jesus healed the man's ear not to hinder His(Jesus) mission or divert their attention from Him. Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him. Supposing He didn't restore the ear of the man, it could divert their attention. They could even arrest Peter instead of Him. As for that Saying, by Law, Self-defence is Legal except u didn't act on Self-defence or u commit a murder then u could be killed by the Sword too.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:54pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
this question is majorly for MaxinDHouse
If what you read in my comments regarding it doesn't suit your thinking Suit yourself. We are not to go about arguing! 1Timothy 6:4; Titus 3:9

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 6:00pm On Oct 24, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

If what you read in my comments regarding it doesn't suit your thinking Suit yourself. We are not to go about arguing! 1Timothy 6:4; Titus 3:9
I will assume u don't have anything meaningful to say.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
What was coming next? I don't get u.

I Said it now! It is symbolic meaning, a time wood come when He would answer His Enemies with the Sword. And we already know that, that is what the Bible calls "the Day of Vengeance" aka Judgement Day, Where He Comes with "Fire in His Eyes and A Sword" Revelation 19:12-15.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
I will assume u don't have anything meaningful to say.
Great! wink

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:05pm On Oct 24, 2022
Funny enough no sane believer can say Jesus supported the use of weapons when he:

©Never used weapons against anyone.
©Never killed anyone.
©Controls all the natural forces.
©Controls all spirit beings both good and evil.
©Always flee from attacking lesser beings.
©Asked his disciples whom he never taught how to use weapons to get one each.
©Told eleven men that two (physical) swords is enough.
©Rebuked a disciple who wanted to fight back in self defense.
©Angrily used the Archangel's voice only for all his enemies to fall dead.
©Cured one of his attackers whose ears got cut off.
©Surrendered his life on a torture stake.

So what exactly does he meant by the sword?

In the spirit realms it's the TRUTH uttered that kills evil beings not weapons {Revelations 19:15} Jesus referred to the Bible as TRUTH {John 17:17} Apostle Paul referred to God's word as SWORD of the spirit {Ephesians 6:17} he concluded that the Bible is like a double edged sword! Hebrews 4:12

Since Christians must not kill anyone not even their enemies {Matthew 5:43-44} and they're not to fear death in the hands of enemies since their resurrection is certain {Matthew 10:28} Apostle Paul concluded that Christians aren't fighting against flesh and blood {Ephesians 6:12} so we don't need physical weapons.

So our weapon is the BIBLE which each and every one of us must purchase a full copy with this weapon we will always conquer Satan the same way Jesus Christ did when he kept quoting this book saying:
It is WRITTEN: Matthew 4:4
It is WRITTEN: Matthew 4:7
It is WRITTEN: Luke 4:8

This is the reason why true disciples of Christ today know as JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES all have a complete Bible each even if a JW has nothing he must be a proud owner of a copy of the Bible: our SPIRITUAL SWORD! Luke 22:36

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:01pm On Oct 24, 2022
If a man attends Bible school for 3 years and on the graduation day he pulled out a sword and did what Peter did below, what do you think he had learnt in the 3 years of Bible school?

At the end of Jesus's 3 year ministry Peter pulled out a sword, the question now is what did they learn throughout Jesus's ministry? The truth is that the real Jesus was a zealot trying to stop Rome's occupation of Israel around 2000 years ago and the Jesus Christ character we have today is Caesar Augustus Rome’s Greatest Emperor who was deified to become Jesus Christ, know this know freedom from bondage and start praying to and worshipping God Almighty of the Old Testamemt directly.

John 18:10
Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=limDa2wNmKg

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why did Jesus tell His disciples to buy sword? According to the Book of Luke22:36-38. What kind of sword was Jesus referring abt? Is it the Physical sword or the Bible? , this question is majorly for u and who against Christians' self-defence. How did Peter got the sword he had if it wasn't bought?
Jesus Christ ordered His disciples to purchase swords on the night of passover in order to facilitate the fulfillment of prophesy written of Him in Isaiah 53 that very night. He made this known in verse 37 of Luke 22, for those paying attention

Pay attention to actual context of the events of that night... undecided
35 Then Jesus said to the apostles, “Remember when I sent you out without money, a bag, or sandals? Did you need anything?” The apostles said, “No.”
36 Jesus said to them, “But now if you have money or a bag, carry that with you. If you don’t have a sword, sell your coat and buy one.
37 The Scriptures say,‘He was considered a criminal.’ This Scripture must happen. It was written about me, and it is happening now.”
38 The followers said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.”
Jesus said to them, “That’s enough.
”[d] - Luke 22 vs 35 - 38
Jesus Christ said all that to alert to the fact that very night- the now - that scripture was to be fulfilled. That which was written in Isaiah about Him was to be fulfilled that same evening. undecided
11. After his suffering he will see the light,[f] and he will be satisfied with what he experienced. The Lord says, “My servant, who always does what is right, will make his people right with me; he will take away their sins.
12 For this reason, I will treat him as one of my great people. I will give him the rewards of one who wins in battle, and he will share them with his powerful ones. I will do this because he gave his life for the people. He was considered a criminal, but the truth is, he carried away the sins of many. Now he will stand before me and speak for those who have sinned.” - Isaiah 53 vs 11 - 12
He requested they get the sword for that very event. undecided
47 While Jesus was speaking, a crowd came up. It was led by Judas, one of the twelve apostles. He came over to Jesus to kiss him.
48 But Jesus said to him, “Judas, are you using the kiss of friendship to hand over the Son of Man to his enemies?”
49 The followers of Jesus were standing there too. They saw what was happening and said to Jesus, “Lord, should we use our swords?”
50 And one of them did use his sword. He cut off the right ear of the servant of the high priest.
51 Jesus said, “Stop!” Then he touched the servant’s ear and healed him.
52 Jesus spoke to the group that came to arrest him. They were the leading priests, the older Jewish leaders, and the Jewish soldiers. He said to them, “Why did you come out here with swords and clubs? Do you think I am a criminal?
53 I was with you every day in the Temple area. Why didn’t you try to arrest me there? But this is your time—the time when darkness rules.” - Luke 22 vs 47 - 53
Clearly, Jesus Christ did not command them to use the sword against anyone, for why would He have had to correct the wrong wrought by the one who did it?

Matthew's account of what took place that night goes on to shed even more light on the fact that what took place was all in order that prophecy may be fulfilled. undecided
50 Jesus answered, “Friend, do the thing you came to do.” Then the men came and grabbed Jesus and arrested him.
51 When that happened, one of the followers with Jesus grabbed his sword and pulled it out. He swung it at the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear.
52 Jesus said to the man, “Put your sword back in its place. People who use swords will be killed with swords.
53 Surely you know I could ask my Father and he would give me more than twelve armies of angels.
54 But it must happen this way to show the truth of what the Scriptures said.”
55 Then Jesus said to the crowd, “Why do you come to get me with swords and clubs as if I were a criminal. Every day I sat in the Temple area teaching. You did not arrest me there.
56 But all these things have happened to show the full meaning of what the prophets wrote.” Then all of Jesus’ followers left him and ran away. - Matthew 26 vs 50 - 56
Anyways, that same night, it is recorded that the disciples fled in fear. Surely, it is in order that they not be caught for a crime.

The only reason why any man would think to defend self against attacks of others is for fear of what those men can do to you - men can kill your body. To this end, Jesus Christ already thought His disciples what to do even in those sort of situations.
27 I tell you all this secretly, but I want you to tell it publicly. Whatever I tell you privately, you should shout for everyone to hear.
28 “Don’t be afraid of people. They can kill the body, but they cannot kill the soul. The only one you should fear is God, the one who can send the body and the soul to be destroyed in hell.
29 When birds are sold, two small birds cost only a penny. But not even one of those little birds can die without your Father knowing it - Matthew 10 vs 27 - 29
Clearly, Jesus Christ commanded His followers not to fear the schemes of men against them.
4 Then Jesus said to the people, “I tell you, my friends, don’t be afraid of people. They can kill the body, but after that they can do nothing more to hurt you.
5 I will show you the one to fear. You should fear God, who has the power to kill you and also to throw you into hell. Yes, he is the one you should fear.
6 “When birds are sold, five small birds cost only two pennies. But God does not forget any of them.
7 Yes, God even knows how many hairs you have on your head. Don’t be afraid. You are worth much more than many birds. - Luke 12 vs 4 - 7

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 11:04pm On Oct 24, 2022
Kobojunkie, at that point, Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him because of His mission on earth. I.e to die and save mankind.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Kobojunkie: 11:14pm On Oct 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
Kobojunkie, at that point, Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him because of His mission on earth. I.e to die and save mankind.
I don't understand your response. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by TenQ: 1:06am On Oct 25, 2022
Truvelisback:
Steep, TenQ, what do u have to say abt this?
You must understand that Jesus speaks a lot in parables
Luke 22:35-36
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36“Now, however,” He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one. 37For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about Me is reaching its fulfillment.” 38 So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” “That is enough,” He answered.

Jesus was telling them that
1. While He was with them, they didn't have to worry about meeting their needs (purse or bag or sandals) did you lack anything?”
The reply was NO!
2. Jesus now referred to His death and the fact that the Disciples HENCEFORTH will need to provide for themselves AND take care of their provisions BY THEMSELVES (“the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag)
3. Jesus now added that they would have to ALSO provide for their Protection (and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one.)
4. The disciples (at least Eleven in number) brought out TWO Swords and Jesus said: “That is enough,”
Meaning that they are not expected to depend on themselves for PROTECTION. They are expected to FLEE!
YES, they have to protect themselves but NOT in physically fighting.

Matt 5:39-41
38You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’o 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also; 40if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well; 41and if someone forces you to go one mile,p go with him two miles.q 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,s 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even Gentiles do the same?

A prove of the above
Luke 22:47-51
47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

What do you think “No more of this!” mean?

Finally,
Matt 10:22-24
22 You will be hated by everyone because of My name, but the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next. Truly I tell you, you will not reach all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes. 24 A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:11am On Oct 25, 2022
Truvelisback:
Jesus must have seen the heart of Peter and his intentions. Jesus healed the man's ear not to hinder His(Jesus) mission or divert their attention from Him. Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him. Supposing He didn't restore the ear of the man, it could divert their attention. They could even arrest Peter instead of Him. As for that Saying, by Law, Self-defence is Legal except u didn't act on Self-defence or u commit a murder then u could be killed by the Sword too.
But Peter acted in self-defence with the sword yet Jesus said that to Him, or do you think he used it otherwise?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 7:15am On Oct 25, 2022
TenQ:

You must understand that Jesus speaks a lot in parables
Luke 22:35-36
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36“Now, however,” He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one. 37For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about Me is reaching its fulfillment.” 38 So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” “That is enough,” He answered.

Jesus was telling them that
1. While He was with them, they didn't have to worry about meeting their needs (purse or bag or sandals) did you lack anything?”
The reply was NO!
2. Jesus now referred to His death and the fact that the Disciples HENCEFORTH will need to provide for themselves AND take care of their provisions BY THEMSELVES (“the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag)
3. Jesus now added that they would have to ALSO provide for their Protection (and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one.)
4. The disciples (at least Eleven in number) brought out TWO Swords and Jesus said: “That is enough,”
Meaning that they are not expected to depend on themselves for PROTECTION. They are expected to FLEE!
YES, they have to protect themselves but NOT in physically fighting.

Matt 5:39-41
38You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’o 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also; 40if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well; 41and if someone forces you to go one mile,p go with him two miles.q 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,s 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even Gentiles do the same?

A prove of the above
Luke 22:47-51
47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

What do you think “No more of this!” mean?

Finally,
Matt 10:22-24
22 You will be hated by everyone because of My name, but the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next. Truly I tell you, you will not reach all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes. 24 A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master
U said they should now protect themselve but not physically but they went everywhere with the swords. If the swords were not necessary for protection, they wouldn't have bought them. They needed them to protect and defend themselves but Jesus never wanted them to defend him because of His mission.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 7:29am On Oct 25, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
But Peter acted in self-defence with the sword yet Jesus said that to Him, or do you think he used it otherwise?
Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him because of His on earth. Jesus knew that His death is necessary and He didn't want Peter to be an obstruction to His mission.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Kobojunkie: 7:50am On Oct 25, 2022
Truvelisback:
Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him because of His on earth. Jesus knew that His death is necessary and He didn't want Peter to be an obstruction to His mission.
Ok.... so here's my question to you. Why do you reject the reason given by Jesus Christ for His asking His disciples to purchase swords at that point then? Or am I missing something here? undecided

Jesus Christ did explain His reason right in the context of the story so why do you not accept His reason? undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:52am On Oct 25, 2022
Truvelisback:

Faithless churchgoer!

I won't argue with you it's your fellow Churchgoers i will leave with you.
If Christians are to defend themselves with weapons coupled with God's Holy Spirit and in Jesus name do you think anyone can harm them as the Jews were killing Christians in the first century? cheesy

Jesus said to JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES:

And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Ge·henʹna. Matthew 10:28

Weapons only harm our physical bodies and put a stop to our activities but only God can determine whether we will be remembered in our graves or not. So after we have done what our Master, Lord and King commanded we shouldn't see ourselves as worthwhile our lives in this system of things means nothing in the face of faithless people. But in the eyes of Jehovah the King of eternity a single Christian meant more than a million faithless people {Luke 12:6-7 compare to Matthew 11:11} so He will not forget us in our graves {John 11:25} because we have praised and glorified His Holy name! Job 14:13-15

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:54am On Oct 25, 2022
Truvelisback:
So you're saying that Peter didn't act in self-defence?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 8:23am On Oct 25, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
So you're saying that Peter didn't act in self-defence?
He did, not for himself but for Jesus. Jesus never wanted Peter to defend Him. Even when Pontious Pilate asked Jesus: Do u know that i save u from the hands of these people? Jesus told him that if He needed help, He would have asked His Father and He would have sent Him legions of angels for His sake.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 8:52am On Oct 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Faithless churchgoer!

I won't argue with you it's your fellow Churchgoers i will leave with you.
If Christians are to defend themselves with weapons coupled with God's Holy Spirit and in Jesus name do you think anyone can harm them as the Jews were killing Christians in the first century? cheesy

Jesus said to JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES:

And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Ge·henʹna. Matthew 10:28

Weapons only harm our physical bodies and put a stop to our activities but only God can determine whether we will be remembered in our graves or not. So after we have done what our Master, Lord and King commanded we shouldn't see ourselves as worthwhile our lives in this system of things means nothing in the face of faithless people. But in the eyes of Jehovah the King of eternity a single Christian meant more than a million faithless people {Luke 12:6-7 compare to Matthew 11:11} so He will not forget us in our graves {John 11:25} because we have praised and glorified His Holy name! Job 14:13-15
U never told us the reason for the Swords in their possession and u are here ranting.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by TenQ: 9:13am On Oct 25, 2022
Truvelisback:
U said they should now protect themselve but not physically but they went everywhere with the swords. If the swords were not necessary for protection, they wouldn't have bought them. They needed them to protect and defend themselves but Jesus never wanted them to defend him because of His mission.
1. There were at least 11 disciples, how do they defend themselves with two swords?
2. Jesus said: the two swords were enough for all the (at least eleven) disciples (even though all were to sell his cloak to buy one.
3. In Luke22:51
Jesus answered, “No more of this!”

What do you think Jesus meant here?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 9:36am On Oct 25, 2022
TenQ:

1. There were at least 11 disciples, how do they defend themselves with two swords?
2. Jesus said: the two swords were enough for all the (at least eleven) disciples (even though all were to sell his cloak to buy one.
3. In Luke22:51
Jesus answered, “No more of this!”

What do you think Jesus meant here?
He felt that the two swords were enough perhaps He doesn't want it to look like they were going for war. He just wanted Moderation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This day!!!!!! / Pls Does Anybody Know Where The Biblical Garden Of Eden Is Located? I Really Need To Go There. Also, / Christian Family Burned To Death After Koran Is Allegedly 'defiled'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.