Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,794 members, 7,827,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) (36236 Views)

Woman Who Spoke Against Fuel Scarcity In 1994 Video Goes Viral / Fuel Scarcity In Port Harcourt (Photos) / #buharitrain From Warri To Itakpe. Train Rider Shares Experience. PICTURES. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Sharz: 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2022
SORRY IS YOUR NAME OO
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Treadway: 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

It can, but the thing is, transporters don't supply ONLY lagos...that is what you guys miss...plus YOU wanted transporters to stop supplying the rest of Nigerian, and do only Lagos.

That is not how things work. Most transporters don't supply only Lagos...they supply other parts of the nation.
so the scarcity in Lagos is due to bridging costs that transporters will incur when moving petroleum product from loading points in Lagos to other states, but somehow still affected Lagos the loading point in solidarity. No be so? Lmao. This guy! Na only go enjoy this your pot of beans. Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:
so the scarcity in Lagos is due to bridging costs that transporters will incur when moving petroleum product from loading points in Lagos to other states, but somehow still affected Lagos the loading point in solidarity. No be so? Lmao. This guy! Na only go enjoy this your pot of beans. Cheers.

The transporter companies also have to transport fuel to other parts of the country.

So under the current circumstances, a profit made in Lagos by transporter company Treadway, is eaten up by the losses the same transporter company Treadway makes when transporting fuel to Kano, Enugu, Owerri, Lafia and Yola, as well as Ibadan and Abuja.

I hope you get it now. If not, I can't help you. Good evening.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:

P.S

We have been talking about transport...we havent even touched the main subsidy thing...which government is finding difficult to pay, and has been over the years. It costs money to pay for subsides as a whole...not just bridging costs.

As at June, NNPC was saying that without subsidy, fuel would be costing between N300-400 . From the hints government has been dropping, it has been difficult to pay subsdies, and debts and so forth.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Treadway: 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

The transporter companies also have to transport fuel to other parts of the country.

So under the current circumstances, a profit made in Lagos by transporter company Treadway, is eaten up by the losses the same transporter company Treadway makes when transporting fuel to Kano, Enugu, Owerri, Lafia and Yola, as well as Ibadan and Abuja.

I hope you get it now. If not, I can't help you. Good evening.

you can't even help yourself to start with. Which is why it is wise to pace yourself, as too much talk eventually comes with the risk of nonsense slipping in, exactly what has played out here. Cheers
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Treadway: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

P.S

We have been talking about transport...we havent even touched the main subsidy thing...which government is finding difficult to pay, and has been over the years. It costs money to pay for subsides as a whole...not just bridging costs.

As at June, NNPC was saying that without subsidy, fuel would be costing between N300-400 . From the hints government has been dropping, it has been difficult to pay subsdies, and debts and so forth.
yea, i have said nothing about subsidy..just pointed out the illogicality in that statement you made in response to that question. Nothing more, nothing less.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:
you can't even help yourself to start with. Which is why it is wise to pace yourself, as too much talk eventually comes with the risk of nonsense slipping in, exactly what has played out here. Cheers

Well, enjoy your cheap fuel.,it;s why you love and worship Buhari. I don't. I am a realist.

Lord Buhari will soon give you N40 fuel. Reality would tell you that costs you a lot, in debt and deficit.

Good evening, and grow up. You are more mature than you look.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:
yea, i have said nothing about subsidy..just pointed out the illogicality in that statement you made in response to that question. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, you want cheap fuel. So go and vote for your lords and masters in APC and the other parties who promise you cheap fuel.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Treadway: 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

Well, enjoy your cheap fuel.,it;s why you love and worship Buhari. I don't. I am a realist.

Lord Buhari will soon give you N40 fuel. Reality would tell you that costs you a lot, in debt and deficit.

Good evening, and grow up. You are more mature than you look.
yap on smartypants. I know you can't help yourself.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Treadway: 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

Well, you want cheap fuel. So go and vote for your lords and masters in APC and the other parties who promise you cheap fuel.

lol
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:
yap on smartypants. I know I LOVE buhari and tinubu. I also love cheap things...

Ah, thanks for confirmation.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:
lol

K.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by hollywater: 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2022
Cyntie55:
May God help us in this country. Life in Nigeria is really hard.

Prices of goods in the market are skyrocketing.
No light
Fuel scacity
Insecurity
Unemployment

Everybody are just suffering and smiling in this country. It is well
God have done his part already. May our PVC help us.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2022
Treadway:
yap on smartypants. I know you can't help yourself.

He's got nothing in the tank, so he has given up.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Wale0073245(m): 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2022
My bro dey work for fuel station,I got fuel with just one phone call
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by obi58: 5:35pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

1.UAE produces 3.4 m bpd of crude, and has 15 million people. Nigeria produces 1.9m bpd, 2.4 m on a good day, and we have 210 million people.

In brief, UAE has more revenue to spend on subsides because they have just 15 million people.

Angola and Algeria too for the same reasons.samller population, bigger production than Nigeria...ALGERIA even produces far more than UAE AND Nigeria.

2.We can renovate our refineries....but keeping them running needs a profit....and that is where removing subsidy comes in.

Because we have kept subsides in place, the refineries don't and have not made a profit for nearly over 3 decades. Naturally, they would collapse.

Now Venezuela, subsidises fuel to N40 per liter...and not only do they have debt, but their largest refinery is now operating at one ninth their capacity.

Iran too has subsides....and they have working refineries, and their debt makes ours look like chicken feed.

Add corruption....

How has the privatisation option worked out for our power sector?

What about LNG? NNPC?

How has removal of subsidy on kerosene worked out?

How are industries coping with diesel now that subsidy has been removed?

How is aviation sector coping with aviation fuel now that it's not subsidised?

Why is bunkering thriving in Nigeria if not due to the hardship of high pricing on subsidized fuel elements and the quest of the common man to survive in our harsh economic clime?

UAE and Algeria are not where they are due to their population size but due to governance. Look at what's happening in India and China... Why is our own different?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Fujiyama: 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:
1.Actually you want cheap fuel. I am not making fun of you...you want cheap fuel . The second part of your comment about 'how the Nigerian people would suffer' betrays you a lot.

^^^
I described Nigerians as longsuffering. I didn't say 'the Nigerian people would suffer'. There is a difference - both in meaning and context between what I said and what you claim I said.

Kasssandra:
2.And by the way, you are acting as if what I say here will somehow magically incite Buhari to remove subsidy in 48 hours. It won't It is my view, and I stand by it.Stop behaving as if I am Nigeria's invisible head of state. grin

^^^

You have a viewpoint on this matter and you argue persuasively in favour of it. You have no idea who could be reading your argument. And to be honest, no one knows who is who here. You could be Buhari grin seeking validation for your next line of action. Anything is possible.

Kasssandra:

3.I am irritated well well, because you guys want cheap fuel, without thinking of the costs of the cheap fuel. Fuel costs money to make, and if we want continous supply, we have to pay the cost.

^^^
Still more labelling...

Apart from the labelling your subsequent points are clear enough. Nobody is arguing that or are they?

Kasssandra:
It is not a disgrace to want cheap fuel. People the world over want things at cheaper prices, me included. In my heart of hearts, I sometimes wish we had that. But then, countries which have cheap fuel have degraded refineries, balloning deficits, and debts.

And Nigeria is paying for decades of cheap fuel with deficit, debts, bad refinereis, as well as missing out on investment, jobs, etc...because fuel must be cheap. Because 'we are poor'/. But fuel cannot be cheap...Because it costs money, and people like to be paid.

Good afternoon, comrade.

^^^
Ok.

It is a pity you didn't address some of the specifics I raised in prior posts - some of which I also asked in prior threads. To your credit you did respond to some but you left the key ones unaddressed and kept up with the "subsidies are bad", "cheap fuel is bad" argument.

But when I asked how much it costs to produce and refine a litre of petrol locally here in Nigeria, you couldn't give me an answer. undecided We don't even know what the subsidy actually is if we cannot answer this question.

I don't make policy. The subsidy will go, that's for sure. When the market is fully deregulated - and investment pours in and local refining capacity increases (by your argument) then the supply bottleneck will disappear.

We'll see.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2022
]
obi58:

How has the privatisation option worked out for our power sector?

As well as can be expected...when government sets their prices, and not only that, sets their prices below the cost of producing power....

What about LNG? NNPC?

What about it? Gas is sold at market price, and mostly exported.

How has removal of subsidy on kerosene worked out?

It is not scarce, sonny.

How is aviation sector coping with aviation fuel now that it's not subsidised?

Avaition fuel is avaialable, the problem is government does not want to allow airlines raise their prices to reflect increased cost...which is bonkers, really.

UAE and Algeria are not where they are due to their population size but due to governance. Look at what's happening in India and China... Why is our own different?

1.UAE produces 3.4 million barrels per day...nearly two to three times what we have and have 15 million people...while we have more than ten times that?

You are pretending that population is not part of it. It is. Very much so.

2.UAE and Algeria have corrupt and repressive governments. Algeria has had protests and riots over bad governance. It isn;t good there.

3.And by the way, Nigeria has bad governance....BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT DIVERSIFIED AWAY FROM OIL. Oil money IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A NATION OUR SIZE. That is why APC has failed.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by GratefulSoul27(m): 5:42pm On Oct 25, 2022
Zico777:

Abegi which kain flood!?
Make una dey deceive una sef!

Na wetin them talk ooo say flood cut road
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by GratefulSoul27(m): 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2022
Reference:

After a week and a half this was discounted.
Moreover there are alternative roads into Abuja from the south and it doesn't take three weeks to find them.
I buy all my gasoline from Nasarawa state at a premium for now. I cannot have my cars damaged in rowdy fuel queues.

It means some marketers are at work
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by GratefulSoul27(m): 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2022
superCleanworks:

for a month or the whole year. abi you just enter abuja ni?

Wetin you de type
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 25, 2022
Fujiyama:

^^^
I described Nigerians as longsuffering. I didn't say 'the Nigerian people would suffer'. There is a difference - both in meaning and context between what I said and what you claim I said.

^^^

You have a viewpoint on this matter and you argue persuasively in favour of it. You have no idea who could be reading your argument. And to be honest, no one knows who is who here. You could be Buhari grin seeking validation for your next line of action. Anything is possible.

^^^
Still more labelling...

Apart from the labelling your subsequent points are clear enough. Nobody is arguing that or are they?

^^^
Ok.

It is a pity you didn't address some of the specifics I raised in prior posts - some of which I also asked in prior threads. To your credit you did respond to some but you left the key ones unaddressed and kept up with the "subsidies are bad", "cheap fuel is bad" argument.

But when I asked how much it costs to produce and refine a litre of petrol locally here in Nigeria, you couldn't give me an answer. undecided We don't even know what the subsidy actually is if we cannot answer this question.

I don't make policy. The subsidy will go, that's for sure. When the market is fully deregulated - and investment pours in and local refining capacity increases (by your argument) then the supply bottleneck will disappear. We'll see.

In summary, you want cheap fuel.

Accept it. I won't blast you for that. But I will tell you that either you let the market set its price, or subsidy will wreck havoc.

I am not addressing your points because you don't want to accept that businesspeople and manufacturers have the right to set their prices. Simple.

P.S I believe that NNPC said that if subsidy goes, fuel would cost N462 . Take it as you will.

And by the way, I am not Buhari, nor do I work for the government. My views on subsidy formed in 2011/12 after I had to actually read up about it. And if you call me Buhari again, or imply I am an opppressor, I will be very angry with you.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Timmi: 5:48pm On Oct 25, 2022
HarlequinLekex:
If things are not put in the right place in the next 15 years nigeria will no longer be a country but a jungle

And you will be the slave in the jungle.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2022
LAST COMMENT (Since I am now an oppressor in most people's eyes, so time to row away)

“The society that lives on subsidies and freebies, is always responsible for a corrupt governance.”
― Dr. Ashok Anand

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by jibosqie(m): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2022
Also not forgetting that neighboring Economies selling the bread at 1000 benefit from diversion of cheaper subsidised bread from Nigeria thereby jacking up the figures of consumption cost to be born by the Federal Govt. SUBSIDY MUST GO FOR WHAT REMAINS OF NIGERIA TO SURVIVE
Kasssandra:

We are feeling the impact...we have more money to spend on the regular budget things.

If we were still subsidsing those things...then our budget for subsides would be greater than our actual budget for everything...

Here is the problem with subsidy

1.Let's say I am ruling Nigeria

2.In 2002, I order that a loaf of bread be sold at N80...at the time it costs N180 to make one loaf. I pay a subsidy of N100 per loaf.

3.My succesors maintain the subsidy....fastforward to 2022...and now it costs N1000 to make a loaf of bread...meaning that if I want to keep bread at N80 ...I have to pay at least N920 per loaf as subsidy....either that or the bakers go out of business.

4.In addition, I have to pay for the transport of the bread to cover for any rise in trapsport costs over the years.

That's why subsides are bad. Costs of making subsidised things rise...and either government spends more money subsidsing it yearly....which could get to a point where subsidy costs are higher than our revenue from government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Fujiyama: 6:09pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

I won't blast you for that.

^^
cheesy

Blast away all you want. The constitution guarantees that right.

Kasssandra:
And if you call me Buhari again, or imply I am an opppressor, I will be very angry with you.

^^^
grin

Be as angry as you want. We are all angry people in this country - welcome to the club.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by IbeOkehie: 6:21pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

And where do we get the money to put in the good infrastructure?

The GSM you are using ...and the internet you are using....is possible because the then government did not implement a subsidy on their service....they let them set their prices.

And their prices were oppressive. I was a student when they were comming on stream...and I could not get a phone till 2003...two years, and even then it was not cheap.

But because they could set their prices, they could make the profit to build all the supporting infrastructure.

We have forced the petorleum industry to sell fuel at a loss for nearly 50 years......and see what it has gotten us. A deficit in the budget, debt, corruption, bad refineries, and massive losses of money...because cheap fuel.

And if we had not removed subsidy on diesel in 2013, it would have been ten times worse.

True...we both blame the government, where we differ is the solution.

This is like spotting a unicorn or a fowl with teeth. Something strange and wondrous - A Nigerian who understands economics!!!! Dude I would like to know how and why you started thinking like this. You're a rare breed!!!!

You're wasting your time trying to teach Nigerians but I understand, sometimes the ignorance is unbearable. Sometimes I do try.

LOL!!!
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by t2luv1: 6:22pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

P.S

at that price still less than 50c wait a sec is that per gallon or per liter? Since Nigeria does not have any functioning refineries what do you expect?
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 25, 2022
t2luv1:

at that price still less than 50c wait a sec is that per gallon or per liter? Since Nigeria does not have any functioning refineries what do you expect?

1. Per liter

2.With functioning refineries, it would still be expensive.

Ghana has two functioning refineries...and sells fuel above N600 per liter. Niger republic...around 350-400 per liter.

The reason why? We don't make any of the components of refineries in Nigeria. We import the spare parts, plus crude oil costs a lot to refine...
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Zico777(m): 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2022
GratefulSoul27:

Na wetin them talk ooo say flood cut road
Na bobo!
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2022
IbeOkehie:

This is like spotting a unicorn or a fowl with teeth. Something strange and wondrous - A Nigerian who understands economics!!!! Dude I would like to know how and why you started thinking like this. You're a rare breed!!!!

You're wasting your time trying to teach Nigerians but I understand, sometimes the ignorance is unbearable. Sometimes I do try.

LOL!!!

I know... cheesy

Back in the year 2010, I was pro-subsidy, and even knew all the talking points...subsidy is what poor Nigerians benefit..

In 2011, when GEJ tried to remove subsides...I got angry, like many times before...but this time, I decided to actually find out what a subsidy was(to under stand why governemnt wanted to remove it)......and it woke me up. I've been reading up ever since....and it only makes me more convinced that it is damaging the economy.

But to be frank, if subsides go...there will be price increases. Even then....

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:31pm On Oct 25, 2022
Got to World Oil at Ilason around 8am this morning, I was there till about 1:20pm before I could fuel up. I just kuku bought full tank that could last me some days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Miyetti Allah: Southern Governors Confused, Face IPOB Terrorists, Leave Herders / GRV’s Mother Calls Herself Mother Of Incoming Governor, Bashes Election Process / Scores Killed In Buhari’s First Week In Office: The Guardian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.