Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,707 members, 7,813,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or (22713 Views)

Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory / Premier League: Players earning £10,000 per week or less / Jay-Jay Okocha With English Premier League Trophy In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by phemmyfour: 3:56am On Oct 27, 2022
Brighton1:
The English Premier League is the leader in viewership across the globe.

The English premier league is also Considered the toughest league competition in the world.

English premier league also surpasses all others in terms of financial might like spending outrageous amount of money on buying or selling their players.

But Why is that Ballon d'Or winner barely comes out of England despite being considered the most toughest and most viewed football league in the world. Cristiano Ronaldo was the last person that won it in English premier league 2008 when he was playing for Manchester united.

2020 there was no Ballon d'Or winner due to corona virus outbreak but assuming it held we all know it was not coming to England. The award was going to Robert Lewandowski in Germany, FC Bayern Munich.

The Ballon d'Or award is an annual football award for the best player over the previous year. The recent winner of the Ballon d'Or award is a Real Madrid player, Karim Benzema.

Is it that English premier league players are just overrated and hyped? Or is it that if you want to create name for yourself premier league is the right place But if you want to win trophies Spanish league is the right place?? Please let share our thoughts on this issue.
1. Cos they bearly wins the ucl

2. EPL highest goal scorers doesn't score up to 30goals per season.

3. Their players bearly wins UCL highest goal scorers
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 4:51am On Oct 27, 2022
The sole reason is because it is the most Competitive league.

Ballon D'or is an individual award and 99% won by Strikers or goal scorers. Most cases highest goal scorers.

The reason you will win it easily as a Barca or Real Madrid player is because these two team have the best players in their teams and play inferior or less competitive teams in their league. Their forwards score goals easily against these poorly constituted teams and at the end of the day you realize they produce the highest goal scorers in Europe.

Also a good showing in major tournaments is also a plus. But the highest goal scorers carry the Day
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Karleb(m): 4:51am On Oct 27, 2022
israelp:
d last time I try dis I nearly sleep leave my phone for public ...oga dy talk true ....totth vs Newcastle how was it over the weekend? grin

No mind am.

If e dey interesting why people no dey watch am?

Games wey be say nothing dey at stake for both players and mangers.

Since Mourinho, Guardiola, Ronaldo and Messi commot Spain, classico sef no be like classico again. Infact, classico start to dey decline since Real sack mourinho.

Before, ball house go full. Banter here and there. I dey wonder how el classico go be for players and managers as e no dey bubble for we wey dey watch again.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Ezekiel2122(m): 5:40am On Oct 27, 2022
I've seen how funny alot of Nigerians sound when it comes to laliga and premier league comparison.
It's no doubt laliga is the best league in the world but laliga lack competition compare to Premier league. It take sensible person to understand this.
Take for instance, laliga is won only by two teams, hardly other team does so. Maybe once ot twice in 10years. If laliga played at least 15games you'll already know the winner. Laliga has huge record in ucl but remember it's still only this two clubs and no any other one. Compare to premier league that in ucl they have about five different teams. Ok, let yo by population, how many villareal, Saville fan are here. In laliga you can only have Madrid or barca fans and hardly you will see someone said I'm villareal or Saville or athletic fans, this is because they are nothing beside Madrid and barca and all over the world no club like this two team, they are outstanding! So, laliga is far best league in the world, the major competition is between Madrid and Barca top teams. Then atletico, Saville, villareal managably may be compared. But in English side, you can say man u, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City are always in competition with each other, only that these days man City seems to be outstanding among them.. but club like Tottenham is joining the competition (not talking based on record here but current form).
And, competition is the main thing in any game. Nobody will go and watch what they already know the end. Like my barca friend last season after 12 games I told him that Madrid will win this laliga that I can even beat with cash. Laliga games are not competitive at all. Any team that manage to win barca or Madrid will be by 1-0 or 2-1. And you already know who will win the league. Like this season now, Madrid winning percent is about 80% already. So, what do I want to watch again?? Ballon dior or not. Only unreasonable people will watch uncompetitive games because its obviously waste of time.
That doesn't mean laliga is not best but since it lack the main point of game, my brother keep watching the best, reasonable people want competition in every game
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by DesChyko: 5:41am On Oct 27, 2022
LZAA:

Technically he's correct
Prior to pep's arrival messi was a right winger as was beckham

Technically is actually where he isn't right. The right winger is just a position. It is the role that determines what the player does.

Messi as a right winger has an entirely different role from Beckham's career as a right winger, and for many reasons too, starting with the different culture under which they played and the changes in football.

Secondly, And Messi didn't play in that role for long enough nor did he attain his peak there. Beckham played there almost all his career.

You may also add that at Messi's peak years, Beckham moved into the central midfield position as he was already aged. So yeah, it was an odd comparison, no matter how you look at it.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by OJEEMAH(m): 5:49am On Oct 27, 2022
DesChyko:

Someone's comparing Beckham's output to Messi's output despite the stark difference in their position and roles on the pitch.

My days. lipsrsealed
You can imagine
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by njelrapheal: 7:26am On Oct 27, 2022
4teenblaq:

English League is not difficult. It is just that they didn't have quality goal scorers in their primes. E.g Cr7. When cr7 started in England, he wasn't prolific as he was when he got to Spain. Cr7 started declining in goal scoring from 2016 in Spain.

Mo Salah won the golden boat with 34 goals a certain season but you are here telling us that most a player can score in England wouldn't be more than 20 goals to win golden boot.

This season will shock you. You will see how Halaand will win the golden boot with more than 40 goals. He is all ready on 17 with 27 games left. You will see that your "hard" league is always short of prolific strikers.

You are saying it is only in Spain, one can score more than 80 goals in a calendar year.

Apart from Lionel Messi mention one player that has played in Spain and had scored more than 70 goals in a calendar year.

Cr7 you are mentioning has never scored up to 70 goals in a calendar year in laliga.

Jesus navas and who so ever you are calling can't even lace the boot of jao Felix.... You are calling average players, stars in Laliga. I am trying to remember the last time I heard of the name Jesus Navas in Sevilla.

The thing is Spain are always lucky with exceptional players.

And they do very well in European football competition (UEFA &Europa). That is why they are very good in producing more Balloon D'or winner. Even Fifa Best players.

Funny thing is that halaand gets subbed moat times. He could easily be scoring 3 a match
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Etinosa1234: 8:20am On Oct 27, 2022
donaldking100:

lies.
English premiere league is so difficult.
even more difficult than Spanish La-Liga.
Z[b]It's only in the English premier league that you can win the golden boot by scoring only 19 goals[/b].
Cristiano Ronaldo & other great strikers in all their seasons in the premier league never managed to score more than 50 goals in a season.
It's only in the Spanish la-liga that players like Ronaldo & Messi managed to score 80 goals or more in a calender year because of how easy the league is.
And most times the number of goals you score, determines your position on the balon-dor list.
Even players like Negrado & Jesus Navas who flopped in the premier league, became stars when they switched to La-liga.

At the bolded… i guess Nigeria premier league is also one of the best in Africa as we don’t have top scorers that beat the 20 goal mark a season
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by LZAA: 8:20am On Oct 27, 2022
DesChyko:

Technically is actually where he isn't right. The right winger is just a position. It is the role that determines what the player does.

Messi as a right winger has an entirely different role from Beckham's career as a right winger, and for many reasons too, starting with the different culture under which they played and the changes in football.

Secondly, And Messi didn't play in that role for long enough nor did he attain his peak there. Beckham played there almost all his career.

You may also add that at Messi's peak years, Beckham moved into the central midfield position as he was already aged. So yeah, it was an odd comparison, no matter how you look at it.
True but messi was a right winger/attacker for 4 years before pep took over smiley
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by LZAA: 8:31am On Oct 27, 2022
Ezekiel2122:
I've seen how funny alot of Nigerians sound when it comes to laliga and premier league comparison.
It's no doubt laliga is the best league in the world but laliga lack competition compare to Premier league. It take sensible person to understand this.
Take for instance, laliga is won only by two teams, hardly other team does so. Maybe once ot twice in 10years. If laliga played at least 15games you'll already know the winner. Laliga has huge record in ucl but remember it's still only this two clubs and no any other one. Compare to premier league that in ucl they have about five different teams. Ok, let yo by population, how many villareal, Saville fan are here. In laliga you can only have Madrid or barca fans and hardly you will see someone said I'm villareal or Saville or athletic fans, this is because they are nothing beside Madrid and barca and all over the world no club like this two team, they are outstanding! So, laliga is far best league in the world, the major competition is between Madrid and Barca top teams. Then atletico, Saville, villareal managably may be compared. But in English side, you can say man u, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City are always in competition with each other, only that these days man City seems to be outstanding among them.. but club like Tottenham is joining the competition (not talking based on record here but current form).
And, competition is the main thing in any game. Nobody will go and watch what they already know the end. Like my barca friend last season after 12 games I told him that Madrid will win this laliga that I can even beat with cash. Laliga games are not competitive at all. Any team that manage to win barca or Madrid will be by 1-0 or 2-1. And you already know who will win the league. Like this season now, Madrid winning percent is about 80% already. So, what do I want to watch again?? Ballon dior or not. Only unreasonable people will watch uncompetitive games because its obviously waste of time.
That doesn't mean laliga is not best but since it lack the main point of game, my brother keep watching the best, reasonable people want competition in every game
Your argument is flawed
Up until the mid 2000s chelsea and man city had zero fans in Nigeria (yes 0)
Even kanu's exploits in arsenal did not raise the number of gunners in Nigeria
The English league is not competitive,it's just a mediocre league boosted by media glitz and glamour
La liga has been ahead of the epl since the 80s

1 Like

Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by McTominay(m): 8:50am On Oct 27, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

Modric? A nobody in the EPL? Thank God I never took you seriously.
Guy there was never time modric was considered as a top 5 midfielder in the epl
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by McTominay(m): 8:56am On Oct 27, 2022
Jokerman:

Apart from Owen in the EPL list, the rest are average.

Hope you know if Pessi no win UCL, he will be considered a flop at PSG?
Soldado, negredo, aspas, morata, nolito, there are more
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by McTominay(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2022
OJEEMAH:
EPL is predictable. In recent times, Man City have been the red hot favourite to win the league every season. By your logic, we can as well say French league is stronger cos Lille, Montpellier, PSG, Lyon and Bordeaux have all been champions in the last 12-15years.

Should we now say French league is stronger than EPL cos as far as I can remember Lyon knocked Man City out of UCL. Monaco did same to Man City out. PSG flogged Chelsea home and away.

Mention one la liga team top team chelsea have eliminated from UCL that have not done same to them.

E never tey Bayern knack chelsea 7-2 ooh

Abeg mention the defenders wey don play for EPL and tell me which of them better pass Alves, Ramos, Carlos, Marcelo, Puyol…..no forget to include their achievements of your overrated EPL defenders.
I would mention a few who could not make the grades in the epl but were great defenders elsewhere. For starters Pique, Jerome boateng of then man city, Stefan savic of then man city, Eric Garcia.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Breastfeed: 9:26am On Oct 27, 2022
Because they're sub standard and over hyped, simple. To be a winner you must be of real quality, just like how quality speaks through the sound of the Oraimo heavy bass speaker.

Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 27, 2022
McTominay:

Guy there was never time modric was considered as a top 5 midfielder in the epl
Lolz.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 27, 2022
Iamthoney:
No dey deviate sir...You asked a question when someone was talking about how Henry was robbed and how some other Epl forwards too in the past should have won the Ballon D’Or and I quoted you to let you know that amongst the list of players you were asking if anyone of them has won the Golden boot outside the Epl competition, you come dey carry me go to the very argument about easy or hard league.

I didn't deviate. Someone said goals usually decide who wins the Balon d'or, and that it was why EPL strikers don't win it because they don't score much in the EPL because it's tough, unlike Ronaldo and Messi that scored a lot because it's easy to score in La Liga (I always wonder whether EPL fanbois switch off their brains when saying this). So, I asked why are those EPL strikers not winning the golden boot in Europe? Or maybe I should put it this way for better understanding; Ronaldo and Messi were also winning the golden boot in Europe at the same time I've those EPL strikers. Why was that? (I won't be surprised if an EPL fanboi come up with "it's because they allow them to score easily". I can't put anything beyond that bunch).
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 27, 2022
McTominay:

Modric who was nobody in the epl won the balon d'or at Madrid. La Liga is too easy mate

Oook. That Modric won the UCL multiple times in Madrid. He didn't win it when he was in the EPL. Oh! Sorry. I forgot he was playing against "easy" La Liga teams in Europe too. Do you guys enjoy talking out of your arses or something?
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 27, 2022
saxokay:

lolsss my brother don't mind them joor those EPL fans mumu no be small

You don't have an idea how daft those guys are. They've been so brainwashed they can't even remember what reasoning is all about. I remember watching a Barca match in a pub around 2013. Messi scored two goals in that match. 2 braindead EPL fanbois were sitting behind me. They were hissing and saying "this La Liga is too cheap, unlike the EPL. How person go dey score like this. If no be for this weak La Liga defenders this guy no go dey score much". I just turned back and told them "this guy na hin win golden boot for champions league for the past 4 years. Na La Liga defenders him dey play there? This guy scored 4 goals in one match against Arsenal. Na La Liga team be that?" I was disappointed they just kept quiet, looking very stupid. I wished they would say something stupider (it's their nature) so that I'd be entertained the more.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 27, 2022
saxokay:

lolsss my brother don't mind them joor those EPL fans mumu no be small

During the time Barca was reigning in Europe, EPL fanbois around me used to tell me Barca would never dominate EPL the way they were dominating La Liga. I used to tell them that nobody is dominating EPL because there were no great teams there. I told them if Barca were there they would have won the EPL by December. Matches from January to May would have been like preseason friendlies for the next season. Now, this Man City is not even as good as Mourinho's Madrid (not to talk of that Barca). See what they're doing to the EPL now. I also remember "huh duh Guardiola is not good. He can't dominate in the EPL because EPL is strong top to bottom, unlike other leagues where there are only one or two teams that are good". Haaland is not a tenth of the player Mess was. See what he's doing to them. EPL fanbois are the most entertaining retards you can ever find.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by KunGioKehRah: 10:56am On Oct 27, 2022
What about Frank lampard, in Chelsea back then?

What about Thierry Henry?

What about Micheal Owen back then, or was in Real Madrid that he won it?

What about Cristiano Ronaldo in Man UTD in 2008?

Good football is not a native of any country

Good football is good football.

And aside that BALLON D OR is nothing but just politics and hype.

That's all

Many players play good football but don't get any awards

Check Mesut Ozil

Dennis Bergkamp

Nwankwo Kanu

Ryan Giggs

Paul Scholes

Didier Drogba

Luis Suarez during liverpool days when he bite someone and was banned eight matches and ogbeni still won highest goal scorer.

Fernando Torres during liverpool days before he went to Chelsea, 50million

Steven Gerrard vs ac Milan champions league final

Good football is nothing but good football.

Let's leave politics for the politicians and enjoy our sport for God sake, Messi is better than Ronaldo, write it inside check , take it to thr bank and use it to collect money

My own is to watch good football!
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by OJEEMAH(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2022
McTominay:

I would mention a few who could not make the grades in the epl but were great defenders elsewhere. For starters Pique, Jerome boateng of then man city, Stefan savic of then man city, Eric Garcia.
Are they better than any of the names I mentioned?

Just so you know, Pique didn’t flop in EPL. Fergie never gave him a chance. Pique had just 12 appearances between 2004-2008.

Jerome Boateng is not a match for any of the names I mentioned.

Savic? You should be ashamed to even mention this name.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by odinga1of: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2022
Brighton1:

The English premier league is also Considered the toughest league competition in the world.

English premier league also surpasses all others in terms of financial might like spending outrageous amount of money on buying or selling their players.

But Why is that Ballon d'Or winner barely comes out of England despite being considered the most toughest and most viewed football league in the world. Cristiano Ronaldo was the last person that won it in English premier league 2008 when he was playing for Manchester united.

2020 there was no Ballon d'Or winner due to corona virus outbreak but assuming it held we all know it was not coming to England. The award was going to Robert Lewandowski in Germany, FC Bayern Munich.

The Ballon d'Or award is an annual football award for the best player over the previous year. The recent winner of the Ballon d'Or award is a Real Madrid player, Karim Benzema.

Is it that English premier league players are just overrated and hyped? Or is it that if you want to create name for yourself premier league is the right place But if you want to win trophies Spanish league is the right place?? Please let share our thoughts on this issue.

So who won the balon d or from 2001 downward
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by ThierryJay: 2:04pm On Oct 27, 2022
Jokerman:

Ronaldo didn't win shishi in England??

Ni wonder na teens dey support Pessi

Lol, he cannot be one of us o. Maybe na from Madrid camp so no dey use him to gaslight us.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Jokerman(m): 2:06pm On Oct 27, 2022
ThierryJay:

Lol, he cannot be one of us o. Maybe na from Madrid camp so no dey use him to gaslight us.

Lol..
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by ThierryJay: 2:10pm On Oct 27, 2022
Jokerman:
Well, only haters rescind the known fact that Cristiano is the goat of EPL... no other player has ever won both Ballondor and FIFA Best, even Blatter couldn't steal if for Pessi as usual that year....

Man utd legend
Epl legend
Madrid legend
Laliga legend
Juventus legend
SerieA legend
Portugal legend
Ucl legend
European legend
World legend
GOAT of all time, just a little bit below Pele and Maradona

Henry is confirmed EPL GOAT, as voted for by pundits & fans twice now.

One spectacular season cannot override 6 spectacular seasons. The pundits are wise. If Pendu had stayed longer in EPL during his prime he'd have won it but as he didnt, make he no carry wetin no reach Messi for la liga to displace Henry for EPL.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Brighton1(m): 2:11pm On Oct 27, 2022
odinga1of:

So who won the balon d or from 2001 downward
here is the list from 2001 downward and your overhyped EPL players barely win the Ballon d'Or and they will never win it.

EPL is a farmers league.

1 Like

Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by achimendy(m): 6:00pm On Oct 27, 2022
Brighton1:

English league can have viewership, money and competition among themselves in England, but one thing they will never get ahead of laliga is technical football, good play.
You can never compare the way Spanish teams play with the way English teams play. Even in European competition the difference still shows there.

Spanish league will always be ahead of English league because of their style of play, and that's what decide the winner of ballon d'or
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by achimendy(m): 6:11pm On Oct 27, 2022
donaldking100:

lies.
English premiere league is so difficult.
even more difficult than Spanish La-Liga.
It's only in the English premier league that you can win the golden boot by scoring only 19 goals.
Cristiano Ronaldo & other great strikers in all their seasons in the premier league never managed to score more than 50 goals in a season.
It's only in the Spanish la-liga that players like Ronaldo & Messi managed to score 80 goals or more in a calender year because of how easy the league is.
And most times the number of goals you score, determines your position on the balon-dor list.
Even players like Negrado & Jesus Navas who flopped in the premier league, became stars when they switched to La-liga.

Is not as if English league is tough is just that English teams dont know how to play good technical football.

If you claim your English league is tough why dont you show your toughness during champions league matches, only thing your league know is media hype and nothing more. Spanish teams remains the most successful teams in European championship history, that's because we play good technical football.

Madrid has 14 champions league trophy, you think say we no sabi play ball na him we win am so??

Dont compare Spain and England in terms of football bro.
Re: Why Is That English Premier League Players Barely Win The Ballon D'or by Mavrick2012: 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2022
Brighton1:

The answer is so so simple,
BECAUSE EPL IS JUST AN OVERHYPED LEAGUE,that's all

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Sudan:probable Line Up / Jacob Blake: US NBA, MLS, MLB Teams Call Off Games To Protest The Shooting / Former Nigerian Footballer, Christian Chukwu Is 70 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.