Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. (2386 Views)

How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market / How Losing a Password Just Cost a Company $190 Million / Biggest Mistakes Most Startup Founders Makes That Must Be Avoided. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2022
Okay, the irony of this is...

I would have find it hard to believe that I myself would be a victim of what I called 'fake-matching' which is the exploitation of web-powered, mobile-based platforms and created for online trading by scammers by actively impersonation actual merchants in real life who may or may not have online presence

Their objective is to lure potential buyers to take the bait of placing order to their posted as he provides correspondence between the legitimate sellers of the items who exist in real life and the clueless buyer who believes he's actually communicating with the real seller, the fake-matching is such that whichever question the buyers ask, the scammer in turn acts like a buyer as he asks the actual seller the same question so as to remove all manners of doubts.

In my case, it was an uncommon product: Onten All in One Usb-C Multi Functional Docking Station
which was advertised by Tech Empire for N30,000. to which after Jiji revealed his number I proceeded to contact him both via direct call and ofcourse on WhatsApp chatting.

[8:45 AM, 10/25/2022] Ω: Hello
[1:44 PM, 10/25/2022] Ω: Oga I’m waiting sir
[1:49 PM, 10/25/2022] TechEMPIRE PH: 42,000
[1:50 PM, 10/25/2022] Ω: Why is it this price now ?
[1:50 PM, 10/25/2022] Ω: Give me last better price and is it still free shipping to Lagos as advertised on your page ?
[3:41 PM, 10/25/2022] Ω: Still expecting the video sir and the bank account number ASAP
[4:07 PM, 10/25/2022] TechEMPIRE PH: Pls give me 10min
[4:07 PM, 10/25/2022] TechEMPIRE PH: Am not in the office

We conducted until the funds was sent and since then has for no reason chose to GHOST me by not picking my phone calls nor responding to both WhatsApp Calls and messages. Three of which channels we communicated initially on.

I have no one but the likes of to blame for not caring about the BUYER's side of a transaction by not ensuring users who seek to sell their product on their platform are VERIFIED. Jiji only appears to care about their very own profit/gain and this has rendered thousands of unsuspecting people to loss their money as I've heard in the past and still continues. Jiji just exist to connect anyone with anyone to do business as phone number of Sellers can be revealed without no hassle, why conceal it in the first place if it can be reveal with a click ?

This seller who calls himself Tech Empire receives a transfer of N42,500 from me on Tuesday, assuring me that the item would be shipped on Wednesday morning wherein I will get it that same day. He has no negative feedback nor neutrals with 11 positive reviews (which obviously can be faked).

Jiji is culpable of this crime as they are enabling scammers to take advantage of their platform by not ensuring sellers are vetted or doing something to secure the buyers' interest.

Couple of weeks back, some boys were lamenting how they fell into this kind of scam also on Jiji in Lagos, theirs was a physical phone call where the transaction was negotiated/conducted over the phone between the buyer (victim) who eventually sent money to a fake seller who was impersonating the original seller in their shop on live cam while unknown to the original seller that he was impersonating him as he thought he was just a customer enquiring on another's behalf at his very own shop and by the time the seller went there to claim the item which was paid for and the seller asked him when and whom of his workers did he paid to.

This fakematching issue is one of the major pit-falls that haunts online transaction of the eCommerce industry in Nigeria. An issue that will be totally non-existing in the e-Commerce platform I am still development sets to launch next year.

I am livid right now.

Screenshots below.

1 Like

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 8:01pm On Oct 27, 2022
see

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2022
How can someone has enough promoted ads for this long and Jiji allows him to thrive.

Jiji enables this scammers to perpetrate this crimes.

1 Share

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2022
Jiji customer care took 36hours to give me just one reply and never messaged me again.

This is not bad.

This is EVIL

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 8:12pm On Oct 27, 2022
Immediately this fellow who could be anybody using someone else's bank account confirmed payment. He has since ghosted me, not yet by blocking but by excommunication as he remain very active on his WhatsApp and Jiji accounts as his status get updated to the last time he comes online.

Beware of him: Ejikeme Nmadi Sunday 08168170969

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Weirdcamila: 8:14pm On Oct 27, 2022
This people are killing honest business .
Don’t pay for what you can’t touch next time

1 Like

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Buzzapper: 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2022
Don't do online business with an Igbo man..

Most of them are thieves
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2022
Weirdcamila:
This people are killing honest business .
Don’t pay for what you can’t touch next time
Bro, Nigeria shouldn't always be an exception in something the whole world are enjoying. People buy and sell stuffs on eBay, Loot, Kijiji, Etsy, Amazon, OfferUp (formerly LetGo), etc without no issues. Why should some people always come and spoil something good for everybody else because of their greed ? Again, I blame Jiji for this. Their platform indirectly enables this. They only care about the money they realize from paid ads.

4 Likes

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Weirdcamila: 8:36pm On Oct 27, 2022
y3mi:

Bro, Nigeria shouldn't always be an exception in something the whole world are enjoying. People buy and sell stuffs on eBay, Loot, Kijiji, Etsy, Amazon, etc without issues. Why should some people always come and spoil something good for everybody else because of their greed ? Again, I blame Jiji for this. Their platform indirectly enables this. They only care about the money they realize from paid ads.

You are right

2 Likes

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 27, 2022
Jumia still retains some credibility and a 7 days r3turn policy.

Use them next time.

Jiji is no man's land.
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2022
y3mi:

Bro, Nigeria shouldn't always be an exception in something the whole world are enjoying. People buy and sell stuffs on eBay, Loot, Kijiji, Etsy, Amazon, etc without no issues. Why should some people always come and spoil something good for everybody else because of their greed ? Again, I blame Jiji for this. Their platform indirectly enables this. They only care about the money they realize from paid ads.
report to your bank that it was a fraudulent transaction. Or to the guys bank. Let them place a debit advance on his account of the same amount. Try this. Lay a complaint. You might be lucky. It worked for some one
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 9:11pm On Oct 27, 2022
Caringty:
report to your bank that it was a fraudulent transaction. Or to the guys bank. Let them place a debit advance on his account of the same amount. Try this. Lay a complaint. You might be lucky. It worked for some one
Thanks I will do that tomorrow.
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by victorogundepo0(m): 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2022
Jiji is not to be blame here because you are the one at fault as they always make it known to all their customers not to pay in advance for any product not even delivery which is what you did. Just report his bank account and you might be lucky to get your money back.

6 Likes

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Onyeka90210(m): 9:36pm On Oct 27, 2022
Omo
Sorry about that
But I don't see why you're trying to blame jiji
The first thing you see when you contact a seller on jiji, is never to make payment before receiving your goods.
You were obviously warned, but failed to adhere.
It's just like releasing crypto before you see alert.
And then you blame Binance.
Jiji is just there to link buyers to sellers
Jiji no be jumia
I'm not supporting scam same time
You can report to the guys bank, and then request a mangers call from jiji to explain the situation to them,
They'll call.

7 Likes

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 10:25pm On Oct 27, 2022
@victorogundepo @Onyeka90210
I thank you both for your suggestion.

However you're both the fourth and fifth persons trying to fault-blame the buyer for dealing while absolving the platform from their responsibility.

Kindly look at the scenario where you as a seller in Lagos placed a very expensive and fragile item on my eCommerce platform and someone who is in need of it saw it and decided to buy it but lives far away in Kaduna, now this is where the Pay-On-Delivery concept is very flawed is that, once you parceled the item as WayBill to the buyer in Kaduna who inspect it at and he decides he no longer needs it, or it wasn't as advertised for probably been color-blind or something, he then rejects it, and no payment is furthered, the dispatcher is instructed to take it back to WayBill agent and the item is shipped back to the Seller, now my question to you Sir, is.... would you honestly be comfortable to incur the shipping cost of sending it up to Kaduna and back, while risking the fragility of the item cracking during transit?

Pay-On-Delivery is only good to the extent where the item meets the satisfactory need of the buyer. It is disadvantageous to the seller as unserious buyers with mischievous and window-shoppers spirit can exploit PoD option. If you try to purchase something on eBay, it's either you get what you see or you don't buy and that's because eBay platform worked on ensuring that their platform evolved on a system that enables legitimate transactioning from legit users, majorly focusing on protecting the BUYERS (not to say there aren't scammers who sells on there as I've also experienced one of such many years ago on eBay).
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by AL1ENWARE(m): 8:10am On Oct 28, 2022
So very true

Mod, to the front page

cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by ibechris(m): 9:00am On Oct 28, 2022
Buzzapper:

Most of them are thieves

This is unbelievable!

I got my rented apartment from an igbo guy,bought my dining from an igbo man all on jiji,in fact he came to my house to install it for me. I bought my land land from jiji which is legit till date

But let me shock u.

Two guys who duped me on the same jiji were yorubas. One was a man and the other was a lady on two different occasions.

Just be careful everyone is a potential scammer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Onyeka90210(m): 10:19am On Oct 28, 2022
Admin, no one is blaming you
I have never seen jiji advertise as the safest platform.
It has always been like that, scammers have always been lurking there, they knew that and informed the public not to “pay in advance”.
“Do not pay in advance, for whatever reason or else you’ll be scammed”
You paid in advanced, you got scammed
I don’t see how it’s jijis fault you get scammed, there are scammers on all p2p consumer sites.
If you are to compare jiji to a foreign p2p site
It shouldn’t be ebay, jiji is more like offer up.
Which are both risky.
Paying in advanced on jiji is same as paying in advanced on Facebook marketplace or olist, or even offer up, you can be scammed.
Same time there’s a location feature which you can see only adverts in your location on jiji, to save the stress of waybill.
I guess you just accepted the terms and conditions without reading through.
On jiji you’re on your own
Jiji doesn’t give a hoot about buyers or sellers
You could get scammed as a buyer,
Same time your goods gets stolen as a seller
Which is a bad thing, I guess, but they made that known.
You flawed the agreement and then come to defame them.
I will suggest if you’re not thick skinned, stick to Jumia, Konga, Amazon, EBay and AliExpress.
They have both buyer and seller protection
I’m not supporting scam, but I have been using jiji for about 7 years for both buying and selling, and it has been smooth. So I think you should modify your topic to “you got scammed on jiji”
Not “jiji should be avoided”
Well, If you’re not sharp then it’s safe to say you should avoid jiji at all cost

3 Likes

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 1:34pm On Oct 28, 2022
Onyeka90210:
Admin, no one is blaming you
I have never seen jiji advertise as the safest platform.
It has always been like that, scammers have always been lurking there, they knew that and informed the public not to “pay in advance”.
“Do not pay in advance, for whatever reason or else you’ll be scammed”
You paid in advanced, you got scammed
I don’t see how it’s jijis fault you get scammed, there are scammers on all p2p consumer sites.
If you are to compare jiji to a foreign p2p site
It shouldn’t be ebay, jiji is more like offer up.
Which are both risky.
Paying in advanced on jiji is same as paying in advanced on Facebook marketplace or olist, or even offer up, you can be scammed.
Same time there’s a location feature which you can see only adverts in your location on jiji, to save the stress of waybill.
I guess you just accepted the terms and conditions without reading through.
On jiji you’re on your own
Jiji doesn’t give a hoot about buyers or sellers
You could get scammed as a buyer,
Same time your goods gets stolen as a seller
Which is a bad thing, I guess, but they made that known.
You flawed the agreement and then come to defame them.
I will suggest if you’re not thick skinned, stick to Jumia, Konga, Amazon, EBay and AliExpress.
They have both buyer and seller protection
I’m not supporting scam, but I have been using jiji for about 7 years for both buying and selling, and it has been smooth. So I think you should modify your topic to “you got scammed on jiji”
Not “jiji should be avoided”
Well, If you’re not sharp then it’s safe to say you should avoid jiji at all cost

My friend, you guys should stop absolving this platform from been responsible for the buyers protection like we have it on eBay which I’ve been using as far back 2001. Your response indicate that you didn’t read the scenario I painted up there where I said what if you were a seller despite the fact I’m the buyer in this case and you shipped to a potential buyer who you agree with to Pay-On-Delivery and he for whatever reasons decide not to buy anymore or chose to never shows up (maybe Sport Bet took the money he originally intends to pay for the goods by the time it came) and cite that it is not what he ordered or whatever reasons. The Seller would have to pay again for the return of the product back to his state. I hope you see the point I’m trying to bring out to prove how Pay-On-Delivery is limited in securing the interest of the seller.

Why I said Jiji innocently enables this frauds to be perpetrated is because they just simply connect visitors who are potential buyers with all kinds of sellers whose phone contacts are easily revealable by the click of a button. Many of which are genuine and others who are outright scammers, defaulters and all sorts. Why should the numbers of ads posters be concealed in the first place when it can easily be revealed by one click ?

The other gentleman who recommend one should always one platform to the other simply forgot that there are items and product that can be listed on a particular platform and won’t be available in any other. There are things you can get on eBay or Craiglist but you can never see it listed on Amazon as they all cater for a different kind of product based on their trading structure.

Before I contacted this particular seller on Jiji for this item, I have not only ransacked the whole of Konga, Jumia and other minuscule Nigeria shopping website. The item as I’ve said is not a commonly demanded product so only few selected stores that do have it, and as such this seller has it on his Jiji platform posted there initially at N30K before later changing it to N42K.

When I come out with my own eCommerce platform and Payment System. Buyers and Sellers are equally protected with my S.L.A.P. technovation which I’ve conceived as far back as 2014!

eBay and PayPal used to be easily accessible to Nigerians back in the early 2000s with no features locked. Yawu boys in Lagos ruined it all. They perpetrated lots of frauds on Paypal until Nigeria was removed from their platform. We are all still suffering from that negative effect till date even after First Bank pleaded on our behalf and brought them back again but with no ability to receive funds.

Enough of all these scam scam scam.
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by Onyeka90210(m): 2:16pm On Oct 28, 2022
y3mi:

My friend, you guys should stop absolving this platform from been responsible for the buyers protection like we have it on eBay which I’ve been using as far back 2001. Your response indicate that you didn’t read the scenario I painted up there where I said what if you were a seller despite the fact I’m the buyer in this case and you shipped to a potential buyer who you agree with to Pay-On-Delivery and he for whatever reasons decide not to buy anymore or chose to never shows up (maybe Sport Bet took the money he originally intends to pay for the goods by the time it came) and cite that it is not what he ordered or whatever reasons. The Seller would have to pay again for the return of the product back to his state. I hope you see the point I’m trying to bring out to prove how Pay-On-Delivery is limited in securing the interest of the seller.

Why I said Jiji innocently enables this frauds to be perpetrated is because they just simply connect visitors who are potential buyers with all kinds of sellers whose phone contacts are easily revealable by the click of a button. Many of which are genuine and others who are outright scammers, defaulters and all sorts. Why should the numbers of ads posters be concealed in the first place when it can easily be revealed by one click ?

The other gentleman who recommend one should always one platform to the other simply forgot that there are items and product that can be listed on a particular platform and won’t be available in any other. There are things you can get on eBay or Craiglist but you can never see it listed on Amazon as they all cater for a different kind of product based on their trading structure.

Before I contacted this particular seller on Jiji for this item, I have not only ransacked the whole of Konga, Jumia and other minuscule Nigeria shopping website. The item as I’ve said is not a commonly demanded product so only few selected stores that do have it, and as such this seller has it on his Jiji platform posted there initially at N30K before later changing it to N42K.

When I come out with my own eCommerce platform and Payment System. Buyers and Sellers are equally protected with my S.L.A.P. technovation which I’ve conceived as far back as 2014!

eBay and PayPal used to be easily accessible to Nigerians back in the early 2000s with no features locked. Yawu boys in Lagos ruined it all. They perpetrated lots of frauds on Paypal until Nigeria was removed from their platform. We are all still suffering from that negative effect till date even after First Bank pleaded on our behalf and brought them back again but with no ability to receive funds.

Enough of all these scam scam scam.
I see you're well interested in going after jiji, than going after whoever scammed you
Well, sorry once again and goodluck
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by jimmyvic(m): 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2022
You just got a 5 star for stupidity
Buzzapper:

Most of them are thieves
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 7:52pm On Oct 28, 2022
UPDATE:
I have received the item but the seller who as at the last time I contacted him today has had his phone switched off while not responding to all WhatsApp messages.

I am so tired of typing right now.

I took several action on this issue starting from visiting the banks to report wherein I was asked to write a letter.
I have been in touch with GTBank Help Desk and Access Bank customer care were very helpful on this.

I wish I could share in detail how everything went.

Onyeka90210:

I see you're well interested in going after jiji, than going after whoever scammed you
Yes sir,
There are things which Jiji and every other Nigeria buying/selling platforms can implement into their systems that would completely erase the possibility of attempting to conduct scam on their platform.

Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by brownemmanuel43(m): 12:28pm On Oct 30, 2022
Buzzapper:

Most of them are thieves
What if I tell u that my former place of work, those that were sacked were yorubas. What if I tell u that land grabbers are yorubas, should I go on and on. Everybody is a potential scammer until proving otherwise.
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by y3mi(m): 5:24pm On Nov 08, 2022
Onyeka90210:

If you were in my shoes, how would you have gone after a supposed seller who ghosted you ?
Didn't you read where I said I finally got my package ?
Re: Why Jiji Should Be Avoided At All Cost - A Serious Something. by supermally(m): 6:29am On Apr 22
[b]Title: A Better Alternative to Services Platforms: Introducing Supermally
Join the Supermallynders!

Are you tired of using services platforms that charge commission fees and control your transactions? Look no further than Supermally, a revolutionary classifieds portal that connects buyers and sellers directly.

How Supermally Works

Supermally allows sellers to upload advertisements with pictures, titles, descriptions, and expected sales prices. Buyers can browse through listings, contact sellers directly, negotiate, and purchase items. The platform doesn't mediate transactions or take a commission, empowering buyers and sellers to take control of their deals.

Benefits of Supermally.com

- No commission fees
- Direct communication between buyers and sellers
- Increased transparency
- Flexible pricing and payment terms
- Community building

Join the Supermally community today and experience a better way to buy and sell online!

(1) (Reply)

Smoked Process Catfish Distibutors Wanted (local Exported) / Really How Big Is Samsung? ..you Have No Idea! / Looking For A Real BUSINESS You Can Start With 10k And Be A Boss!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.