Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" (28890 Views)

What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question / Isn't This The Best Answer On Why You’re Leaving Your Current Workplace? / 21 Most Common Job Interview Questions And How To Best Answer Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by dfrost: 11:43am On Oct 29, 2022
50% of my previous earnings, net precisely.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Aremson14(m): 11:43am On Oct 29, 2022
Nigerians.. why won't they tell you what you are expected to earn before applying? Won't it save everyone's time?

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by seunlizy(f): 11:47am On Oct 29, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded
Why on earth must you tell them how much your former workplace pays you?

Even if you must tell them. You must still to one firgure.. which one is 30k/35

If you are been paid 35k at your former workplace, add 10k to that money tell y hem they you 45k or even 50k
hunger can make one dizzy

Do not lie ooo, because some coy do research or send mail to previous working place especially for confirmation after getting offer letter
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by biggy00000(m): 11:47am On Oct 29, 2022
When you get an interview in company X, rech out to one or two pple (friends, friends of friends) to ask about salary, work culture and the likes so you are prepared.

Alternatively, tell the recruiter that you believe they will set you on the right salary structure where you belong with your level of experience and expertise you are bringing on board.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by brandsoncharlie: 11:47am On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:
I have an interview with a hotel tomorrow. And on several occasions, I've been asked how much do you want us to be paying you?" but I couldn't say something reasonable.

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500.

Another thing, I heard hotel work is one day in, one day out (15 days total) I confirmed it in the last interview I went (but rejected the job cos the pay was low (20k). How true?
Do you findings how much they pay workers of such positions in around the city you are planning to work.
State it to the employer they will understand you.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Gkay1(m): 11:49am On Oct 29, 2022
Abeg nor b dis one dey ground now.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Ikennaford: 11:49am On Oct 29, 2022
My first Job as cleaner at McDonald's when I arrived LA newly,she asked me how much,I was like wtf, the igbo greed In me said $50k ,the Lady laughed so hard,few weeks later we became friends and fuckeeed, she's my baby mama now and we are living together
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by brandsoncharlie: 11:49am On Oct 29, 2022
biggy00000:
When you get an interview in company X, rech out to one or two pple (friends, friends of friends) to ask about salary, work culture and the likes so you are prepared.

Alternatively, tell the recruiter that you believe they will set you on the right salary structure where you belong with your level of experience and expertise you are bringing on board.
LOL, tomorrow you guys will be crying of low pay, why can't your research and tell your employer from what you have gathered of that expectation.
U funny.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by OKOATA(m): 11:49am On Oct 29, 2022
Reminds me of the day I went for an interview, the HR asked me this question I said 2M the HRM laughed so hard and said he even he's not earning that amount. I was vying for a surveyor post in larfarge. Basically the income was 200K and cumulative around 350k. So I think it boils down to how fun you are at the interview, I have stopped working for any company and I'm the boss of my own but a tip to guys going for any interview just try and be free with whoever interviews you, crack jokes with them. They will love you for it.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Lamasta(m): 11:50am On Oct 29, 2022
Just tell them 50 - 70k and hear them tell you what they can offer you....

Do well to negotiate the salary if its beneath the range above cos transportation and food will consume your salary if its below

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Tunagee(m): 11:53am On Oct 29, 2022
ScamHunter:
What you should say depends on what skills you are bringing to the company. If you do not have experience, I suggest that you rephrase the question by asking them what they pay people like you. If the answer is below your expectation, tell them that it's too low for you.

You can also go to the hotel before the day of the interview and talk with some of the staff to understand what they pay people doing your exact job. That would give you an idea of the amount to quote.

Now here's the assignment you should do before going for an interview, sit down and calculate your living expenses in a month.
Transportation
Feeding
House rent
Other basic expenses

This should be the minimum answer to give to the question if they insist that you name a figure.

You be boss ooo! Nice one. Brilliant

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Najdorf: 11:54am On Oct 29, 2022
Ikennaford:
My first Job as cleaner at McDonald's when I arrived LA newly,she asked me how much,I was like wtf, the igbo greed In me said $50k ,the Lady laughed so hard,few weeks later we became friends and fuckeeed, she's my baby mama now and we are living together
Stop taking weed they'll not agree

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Tunagee(m): 11:55am On Oct 29, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Tell them first that you believe the company has a standard of payment they use for their staff. That they should let you know what the take home for the post you're applying for is, so you'll know if its something you can accept.

If they insist that you should tell them what you can accept, then tell them 300k for starters.

What post are you applying for by the way?

Brilliant

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Atarakpa: 11:55am On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

No. I mean some interview, I say 30k while the other I may say 35k. I don't quote the both.

Ok. I will try to say 40k next time, even though I haven't work in hotel before. Thanks.
what if they request for your payslip to confirm, what will now do.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Chosimba: 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:
I have an interview with a hotel tomorrow. And on several occasions, I've been asked how much do you want us to be paying you?" but I couldn't say something reasonable.

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500.

Another thing, I heard hotel work is one day in, one day out (15 days total) I confirmed it in the last interview I went (but rejected the job cos the pay was low (20k). How true?

Tell them that you understand that they are aware of what the going rate is for such a role is and for someone of your experience. If they press, then you say that these factors should pay about....
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Lanre1st(m): 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2022
The question is common to most final interviews in Small/Medium scale Business. Try to do findings of the pay or average salary for that kind of work. If the organisation is well structured you can tell them that "I believe you have a satisfied Salary Scale for your Staff, which I know it's being helping your organisation to maintain and retain your workforce " this will prompt them to tell you a certain amount, mind you the amount they will mention always lower than what they pay but it will help you to negotiate better. So you will not under negotiate

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Kimiso(m): 12:17pm On Oct 29, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded
Why on earth must you tell them how much your former workplace pays you?

Even if you must tell them. You must still to one firgure.. which one is 30k/35

If you are been paid 35k at your former workplace, add 10k to that money tell y hem they you 45k or even 50k
hunger can make one dizzy
it's not his fault,na his village people never desist from him,if to say na me I go add 80percent to the previous salary am collecting
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by plantainbender(m): 12:22pm On Oct 29, 2022
Hotel work, especially the position(s) you're applying for doesn't pay much.

40-45k for a barman
25-30k for a security personnel is what they pay. Add 15k to these salary range when the question arises.

Chenult:

It is hotel work. I'm applying for Barman or security.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Soso990240(m): 12:24pm On Oct 29, 2022
Don't mention any amount, na setup, especially in a big organization. Just tell them this " I believe there is a particular amount set for a position like this. Your can review it with the current economic situation on ground. I will actually accept it if it's fair and convenient for me, thank you."
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Brunicekid(m): 12:25pm On Oct 29, 2022
OKON125:
I was asked this kinda of question before...cos it's was a small firm i said 600k ...they laughed out loud then.. they rest is history
You weren't picked?
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Soso990240(m): 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2022
Brunicekid:
You weren't picked?
if na you get the company, you go pick am? grin
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Kobicove(m): 12:40pm On Oct 29, 2022
Tell them an amount you fill the job is worth but it must be higher than your last pay
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Emeka71(m): 12:40pm On Oct 29, 2022
God1000:
Reasonable amount considering the current high cost of living.

You can mention the amount of money you want them to pay you, but look the hotel very well whether they can pay you such amount.
That is except if they shall be giving you food.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Mom007(f): 12:45pm On Oct 29, 2022
Tell them to use their church mind. grin
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by dafeoroyo: 12:50pm On Oct 29, 2022
I will be very happy if I you can be giving the same amount as the MD .thanks
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by colestephan86: 1:00pm On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

Reply by telling them how well prepared you are for the job, and how you have come to make a positive impact in your role at their organisation,then follow it up by telling them the range obtainable in other places (quote a slightly high number) then tell them cos you will be starting new with them and they do not know your capacity, tell them you will accept an amount slightly lower than what is obtainable
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by socialjustice93: 1:04pm On Oct 29, 2022
Simply say as much as I'm worth and as much as this position offer.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by CaptainFM1: 1:04pm On Oct 29, 2022
Just tell them a little above the industrial standard. They will get the message.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by laivwire(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2022
ScamHunter:
What you should say depends on what skills you are bringing to the company. If you do not have experience, I suggest that you rephrase the question by asking them what they pay people like you. If the answer is below your expectation, tell them that it's too low for you.

You can also go to the hotel before the day of the interview and talk with some of the staff to understand what they pay people doing your exact job. That would give you an idea of the amount to quote.

Now here's the assignment you should do before going for an interview, sit down and calculate your living expenses in a month.
Transportation
Feeding
House rent
Other basic expenses

This should be the minimum answer to give to the question if they insist that you name a figure.
In addition, discussions on your expected income is a negotiation. Quote a figure and explain how you arrived at that figure to give it some validation. You can quote your living expenses as stated above plus something and say this is howuch it comes to and what I expect. I can't go lower than that.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by chatinent: 1:17pm On Oct 29, 2022
I won't lie, ₦3.5bn. sad
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by highchief1: 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

anythg when una get una give me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Ways To Answer The Interview Question, "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" / Lagos State Blue Bus Company Is Recruiting. See How To Apply / Recruitment At Federal University Dutsin-Ma Katsina State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.