Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,312 members, 7,815,565 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" (28899 Views)

What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question / Isn't This The Best Answer On Why You’re Leaving Your Current Workplace? / 21 Most Common Job Interview Questions And How To Best Answer Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by evictor305: 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2022
Tell them you believe the company have a salary structure for the position and you are open to negotiation if necessary. However, at minimum, you will like to be paid according to the value you bring to the company. I wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by micxwell(m): 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded
Why on earth must you tell them how much your former workplace pays you?

Even if you must tell them. You must still to one firgure.. which one is 30k/35

If you are been paid 35k at your former workplace, add 10k to that money tell y hem they you 45k or even 50k
hunger can make one dizzy
Lol. It depends on the industry though. I was asked that same question and I told the manager I earn 5 times of what I was earning as at that time because I've got more certifications and experience then. I requested for 7 times of my then salary and they obliged me. Simply learning to value what you carry monetarily is the key to that question.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by bobbiiee: 1:47pm On Oct 29, 2022
kiss

Lost a job because I didn't give a satisfactory answer to the question in 2008. I got the link through an area sis who told me that she knew the owner of the company in London. She said to me dont settle for anything least than N120k.

When they asked how much I wanted, I asked for N120k. The panel asked me, "what if we offer you N100k"? I insisted on N120k.

They never called back. When the woman, that is the owner of the company and my area sis spoke, she said the interview went well. Your person did well. Yet, they never called me back.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by patjane(f): 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2022
I think you should just quote some random figure (50-100k) or any amount you feel comfortable with, this gives room for negotiates.
Do a good research on d company salary it will help .. going too low on d amount is less likely and going too high means the job isn’t right for you.
I think when next you’re ask that question make thé interviewer understand that benefits definitely matter for you.E.g the commuter benefits,free wifi and other free things. Let dem know that it could definitely allow you to be a bit flexible with salary…

Chenult:
I have an interview with a hotel tomorrow. And on several occasions, I've been asked how much do you want us to be paying you?" but I couldn't say something reasonable.

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500.

Another thing, I heard hotel work is one day in, one day out (15 days total) I confirmed it in the last interview I went (but rejected the job cos the pay was low (20k). How true?

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Onyi90(m): 2:01pm On Oct 29, 2022
Tell the Employer Your Church Mind grin
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Topsin4great(m): 2:03pm On Oct 29, 2022
Okkkkk

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by g4gerald: 3:01pm On Oct 29, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Tell them first that you believe the company has a standard of payment they use for their staff. That they should let you know what the take home for the post you're applying for is, so you'll know if its something you can accept.

If they insist that you should tell them what you can accept, then tell them 300k for starters.

What post are you applying for by the way?
This your answer is the standard answer for a professional job. But menial jobs don't have standard for payment, their salary is based on negotiation. I guess he is talking abt menial job (probably hotel) so i suggest he makes enquiry first about their pay, so wen the question comes up he can add like 10k on top nd then the negotiation begins.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by BabaT91(m): 3:13pm On Oct 29, 2022
Worth yourself and tell them what you're worth. Thank you.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by emerged01(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

More like 4 star hotel. 150k for security?
Hotel payment na from 30 to 45. Na when you be chef you can earn better.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by biggy00000(m): 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

LOL, tomorrow you guys will be crying of low pay, why can't your research and tell your employer from what you have gathered of that expectation.
U funny.
Guess you have comprehension challenge.

Read what you commented to, this time slowly

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by seanwilliam(m): 4:24pm On Oct 29, 2022
For Christ sake how will a person survive on 30k per month nitori oloun. Broda please go and learn skill. Suffer your self for months so u can enjoy for life . This is very ridiculous.
At least. No matter how prudent in spending you are as a young man, you go sha spend 1500 for food in a day .
1500 x 30 = 45k
Tfare 500 x 15 = 7500
Barbing , toiletries and data/recharge card atleast = 10k

Total almost 60k

Shey u no go pay house rent? Shey u no go send money to your parents? Shey u no go buy cloth? Shey u no go get emergency savings for unforeseen events ?
What if you fall sick? U no go pay nepa bill? U no go pay security bills ?

U no plan to build house or buy car? U no plan to own family ??

Any job less down 100k for a single man living alone without family in this economy is slavery .

Please think

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by emmy9500: 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2022
Tell them you believe their organization have a good compensation plan for their employee and for someone taking the position you apply to

If they pressure you further just give a range

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Slynation(m): 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2022
OKON125:
I was asked this kinda of question before...cos it's was a small firm i said 600k ...they laughed out loud then.. they rest is history
Lol... grin grin please did they give you the job or they said they will get back to you...??

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Snowx: 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2022
HenryTimes:
There's no best answer to that question, as a matter of fact, that question is as useless as T in tsetse fly.

Tell them that you are there for employment not for a contract.

Besr answer..kudos
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by brandsoncharlie: 5:27pm On Oct 29, 2022
biggy00000:

Guess you have comprehension challenge.

Read what you commented to, this time slowly
What you're saying is vague, it is as simple as that. Don't think you're in any way reasonable.
You better go and learn. So an employer should pay you 10k below the pay and you call it reasonable? grin ; grin
There are YouTube videos on how best to answer such a question by professionals guild or even past experienced operation manager and HR managers online.
Since you don't read far and wide you wouldn't know.
You don't know anything, you're just a clown.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Pootle: 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2022
use your qualification and experience as a bargaining chip
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Kolisky(m): 6:29pm On Oct 29, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Tell them first that you believe the company has a standard of payment they use for their staff. That they should let you know what the take home for the post you're applying for is, so you'll know if its something you can accept.

If they insist that you should tell them what you can accept, then tell them 300k for starters.

What post are you applying for by the way?

God bless you. This your explanation is concise and standard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 29, 2022
Kolisky:

God bless you. This your explanation is concise and standard

Amen.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by DaddyGngeess(m): 6:45pm On Oct 29, 2022
Any amount u mention they will bring it down, the best is to ask them how much are they paying here that you are ready to give ur best, what about if they are paying 50k and u told them ur formal place is paying 35k, they might tell u 30k, for me is better you hear from them first, because anytime I am employing I am always using this tactic to get infor of how much salary I will pay so I like to ask that question also too, good luck

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Ijb11: 6:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
Any amount
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by geokay777(m): 9:53pm On Oct 29, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded
Why on earth must you tell them how much your former workplace pays you?

Even if you must tell them. You must still to one firgure.. which one is 30k/35

If you are been paid 35k at your former workplace, add 10k to that money tell y hem they you 45k or even 50k

hunger can make one dizzy
starved

If they request for official payslip?
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Waterbear(m): 10:05pm On Oct 29, 2022
ScamHunter:
What you should say depends on what skills you are bringing to the company. If you do not have experience, I suggest that you rephrase the question by asking them what they pay people like you. If the answer is below your expectation, tell them that it's too low for you.

You can also go to the hotel before the day of the interview and talk with some of the staff to understand what they pay people doing your exact job. That would give you an idea of the amount to quote.

Now here's the assignment you should do before going for an interview, sit down and calculate your living expenses in a month.
Transportation
Feeding
House rent
Other basic expenses

This should be the minimum answer to give to the question if they insist that you name a figure.

This is the smartest answer..
I'm done reading others
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by DrCollins007: 10:50pm On Oct 29, 2022
This is not a ploy to scam anyone. Pls i need help. Lost my job earlier this month & ryt now am in dire need of money. Feeding is even a prblem now & infact av not eaten since mornin. Som1 shud pls reach out. God is my witness on dis. 0089.636.009 Access.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by biggy00000(m): 3:44am On Oct 30, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

What you're saying is vague, it is as simple as that. Don't think you're in any way reasonable.
You better go and learn. So an employer should pay you 10k below the pay and you call it reasonable? grin ; grin
There are YouTube videos on how best to answer such a question by professionals guild or even past experienced operation manager and HR managers online.
Since you don't read far and wide you wouldn't know.
You don't know anything, you're just a clown.

There is a huge difference between reading and understanding. you read; but you don't understand. Little wonder why we all are required to provide proof of Emglish by some English speaking countries.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Obainomilano: 8:27am On Oct 30, 2022
Chenult:
I have an interview with a hotel tomorrow. And on several occasions, I've been asked how much do you want us to be paying you?" but I couldn't say something reasonable.

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500... It is very important to know how much the hotel or place you are applying for job is paying people in the same position you are applying and be sure it is okay for u... Then when you are asked the question just answer them to pay you whatever they are paying people in that position but if they insist on a figure then just quote the figure of how much they are paying people in that position which like I said you should make sure u know.. before applying

Another thing, I heard hotel work is one day in, one day out (15 days total) I confirmed it in the last interview I went (but rejected the job cos the pay was low (20k). How true?
... It is very true but again it depends on the hotel and most times the position.. cos positions like house keepers for example is not one day in and out... And 20k is the cut off salary of an average paying hotel... But there are those that are on the minimum wage... Again like I said it depends on the quality of the hotel and. Most importantly you should also make enquiries about time of payment which is a major challenge for most hoteliers as some hotels hardly pay on time but the Quality ones do... Have a nice day

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Dirpetaner: 8:38am On Oct 30, 2022
Find a staff there nd ask how much they pay the guy that left the position you just wanna occupy....
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by brandsoncharlie: 10:51am On Oct 30, 2022
biggy00000:

There is a huge difference between reading and understanding. you read; but you don't understand. Little wonder why we all are required to provide proof of Emglish by some English speaking countries.
I won't understand your trash.
Again the reason why you're asked to provide proficiency test is majorly on non native speakers of English language it simply means you're not a speaker of English language since you have indigenous languages of different tribes.
The native speakers of English don't need proficiency in English, that said is enough.
You see why I said you don't read far and wide, little wonder you know nothing.
I would have provided an example of such on YouTube video but I won't.
very funny grin grin grin
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 30, 2022
Obainomilano:
... It is very true but again it depends on the hotel and most times the position.. cos positions like house keepers for example is not one day in and out... And 20k is the cut off salary of an average paying hotel... But there are those that are on the minimum wage... Again like I said it depends on the quality of the hotel and. Most importantly you should also make enquiries about time of payment which is a major challenge for most hoteliers as some hotels hardly pay on time but the Quality ones do... Have a nice day

Thanks. I'm going to pick form from a security company tomorrow - to work for one international hotel. Do the security guys also work one day in, one day out?

I heard it's shift work. And the average pay for security is 30k to 40k.

Pls explain.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by biggy00000(m): 12:16pm On Oct 30, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

I won't understand your trash.
Again the reason why you're asked to provide proficiency test is majorly on non native speakers of English language it simply means you're not a speaker of English language since you have indigenous languages of different tribes.
The native speakers of English don't need proficiency in English, that said is enough.
You see why I said you don't read far and wide, little wonder you know nothing.
I would have provided an example of such on YouTube video but I won't.
very funny grin grin grin

You are closed minded and believe you are flawless. ( Apologies if it comes off as an insult).
Love and light your way ⚔️
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by drimzsmoke(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2022
Chenult:

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500.

"You wey call people for job interview,you no get amount for mind before ni"
The above would have been my answer!!!
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by MalbakOscar(m): 8:09pm On Oct 30, 2022
Firstly, try to find out how much Hotel in that area pay staffs in that position you're applying to. Be prepared.
When you're asked, add 20k to it.

Chenult:

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2022
drimzsmoke:

"You wey call people for job interview,you no get amount for mind before ni"
The above would have been my answer!!!

Lol. Funny but not funny o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos State Blue Bus Company Is Recruiting. See How To Apply / Recruitment At Federal University Dutsin-Ma Katsina State / General Electric Africa Early Career Development Program- Finance, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.