Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined (4229 Views)

Who Is Better An Economist Or Accountant / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist / What Jobs Are Available For A Graduate Of Political Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by nnamanis(m): 8:31pm On Aug 20, 2011
pls, i would like someone to suggest for me the one that is good between the two of them so that i can be able to make the right chioce
Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by tanimola22: 9:56am On Aug 21, 2011
I will forgive the construction of your question as I sense that you are a recent secondary school leaver(correct me if I am wrong). Your question should read 'The Difference Between An Economi[i]cs[/i] Major And An Econom[b]ics[/b]-Political Science Combined Major. Economics is a course and so is Political Science. An Economist is someone that studied Economics. This person is mostly a PhD holder in Economics(eg Professor Charles Soludo). Although some people opine that having a B.Sc degree in Economics is sufficient for one to be called an Economist, I clearly do not agree. This assertion is subject to a debate, which we may hopefully engage in another day!

Now, to answer your question, I would suggest that you go for Economics. Why would you want to combine Economics with Political Science? Economics on its own is extremely robust. Political Science, on the other hand, is meaningless to me. If you talk about combining Economics and Mathematics or Economics and Statistics or Economics and Accounting or Economics and Finance, then that will make a lot of sense to me because Mathematics, Statistics and Accounting are courses that are directly related to Economics. In fact, you need a good understanding of these courses to thrive very well in real Economics. On the other had, Political Science, as far as I know, has nothing much to do with real Economics. Unless your future ambition is to become a Political Economist like Prof Utomi, doing Economics-Political Science combined is just a mere time wastage at best. If you feel you have the capacity to study more than one course simultaneously, then register for ACCA or ICAN or CFA or CIMA or any other professional exam while studying Economics at the university. This will no doubt be a good move because a professional qualification will always increase your marketability. A professional qualification is always a value added. You cannot go wrong.

Let me end my response to your question with two true life illustrations. Although one of them is not directly related to your particular situation, it will nonetheless serve as something you can ruminate on. The other one is almost exactly your case. Now, a guy I know studied Computer Science at undergrad level. While he was studying this course, he was also preparing and taking ICAN examination. Before we graduated from the university, he had already completed all the necessary papers and was already a chartered account. This means that the guy studied Computer Science and at the same time qualified as an Accountant while studying Computer Science at the university. Today, the guy works for one of the multinational oil companies in Nigeria, not as a Computer Scientist, but as an Accountant and a Chartered Accountant for that matter! Tell me, what organization in Nigeria can you work as a Political Scientist? Maybe a bank as a marketer smiley The second one is about a guy who was initially studying Geography, but later switched to Economics. He wanted to study one other course in addition to studying Economics. Instead of him to go for a combined programme like Economics-Geography, he decided to register for CIMA(Chartered Institute of Management Accountants). Upon graduation, while his mates had either a B.Sc in Economics or a combined B.Sc, the guy could boast of having passed CIMA professional exams. That made him very marketable to companies like Toyota, Intercontinental Bank and one top consulting firm in Naija.

I actually have a third illustration, which is congruent to the above illustrations, but I will not speak about it. I am sure that you know where I stand in response to your question. Go for Economics! Add a professional qualification to it! Combined honours, no!

Good luck!

PS: The case could be different if your desire is to become a professor in the future, na you know wetin you want sha, My view is biassedly corporate, industry inclined.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by nnamanis(m): 10:50pm On Aug 21, 2011
thank you very much, i would take your advice
Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by tanimola22: 6:56am On Aug 22, 2011
nnamanis:

thank you very much, i would take your advice

Welcome my bro/sis.
Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by sexy74(m): 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2011
@ Tanimola 22

if i may ask is it adviceable after studying Economics in the university,

can one have a Master degree in Political Economy and Development Studies?

what are the prospects?

will be expecting your response.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by tanimola22: 8:33pm On Aug 23, 2011
Even the names alone are a give away. Those courses are fantastic!

You will position yourself to be headhunted by development organizations and NGOs if you successfully go for one of the courses, especially development studies, at both Master's and PhD levels. If you study development studies, you will become a trained strategist, Strategists are in high demand in organizations that focus mainly on development projects. The World Bank, UN, UNESCO and others readily come to mind. And if all those top organizations do not look at your side, then you can easily become a full time academic or even start a career in one of our ministries. Your skills will be found useful in ministries like finance, CBN, development, In the near future, somehow, somehow, your expertise will be seen and you may even be appointed to hold one sensitive position. You fit even become ambassador sef someday cheesy

My brother, if that is what you have the motivation to do, then please go for it by all means. Having a foundation in Economics has positioned you to confidently enroll for one of those courses, In fact, both of them are an extension of economics and Sociology. In Economics, there is Development Economics. You will be fine.

But,,,,,,,,,,,, you may not fit into the regular telecoms, banking, oil industries etc

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/internationalDevelopment/home.aspx

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by AjanleKoko: 8:58pm On Aug 23, 2011
sexy74:

@ Tanimola 22

if i may ask is it adviceable after studying Economics in the university,

can one have a Master degree in Political Economy and Development Studies?

what are the prospects?

will be expecting your response.

Nigerians and high sounding qualifications sha undecided
Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by Jarus(m): 11:09pm On Aug 23, 2011
Great response there, Tanimola

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by sexy74(m): 5:23am On Aug 24, 2011
@ tanimola22
Thanks for the response and enlightenment. I just bought the masters form and the option available to me is Msc Political Economy & development studies which I have applied for and hope I get the admission.
Though am a qualified accountant (ICAN 2002) with a Bsc in Economics (2009).
Actually need job satisfaction that's why am trying to be versatile.
Thanks again for the enlightenment.
Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by Ugosample(m): 1:08am On Sep 11, 2016
tanimola22:
I will forgive the construction of your question as I sense that you are a recent secondary school leaver(correct me if I am wrong). Your question should read 'The Difference Between An Economi[i]cs[/i] Major And An Econom[b]ics[/b]-Political Science Combined Major. Economics is a course and so is Political Science. An Economist is someone that studied Economics. This person is mostly a PhD holder in Economics(eg Professor Charles Soludo). Although some people opine that having a B.Sc degree in Economics is sufficient for one to be called an Economist, I clearly do not agree. This assertion is subject to a debate, which we may hopefully engage in another day!

Now, to answer your question, I would suggest that you go for Economics. Why would you want to combine Economics with Political Science? Economics on its own is extremely robust. Political Science, on the other hand, is meaningless to me. If you talk about combining Economics and Mathematics or Economics and Statistics or Economics and Accounting or Economics and Finance, then that will make a lot of sense to me because Mathematics, Statistics and Accounting are courses that are directly related to Economics. In fact, you need a good understanding of these courses to thrive very well in real Economics. On the other had, Political Science, as far as I know, has nothing much to do with real Economics. Unless your future ambition is to become a Political Economist like Prof Utomi, doing Economics-Political Science combined is just a mere time wastage at best. If you feel you have the capacity to study more than one course simultaneously, then register for ACCA or ICAN or CFA or CIMA or any other professional exam while studying Economics at the university. This will no doubt be a good move because a professional qualification will always increase your marketability. A professional qualification is always a value added. You cannot go wrong.

Let me end my response to your question with two true life illustrations. Although one of them is not directly related to your particular situation, it will nonetheless serve as something you can ruminate on. The other one is almost exactly your case. Now, a guy I know studied Computer Science at undergrad level. While he was studying this course, he was also preparing and taking ICAN examination. Before we graduated from the university, he had already completed all the necessary papers and was already a chartered account. This means that the guy studied Computer Science and at the same time qualified as an Accountant while studying Computer Science at the university. Today, the guy works for one of the multinational oil companies in Nigeria, not as a Computer Scientist, but as an Accountant and a Chartered Accountant for that matter! Tell me, what organization in Nigeria can you work as a Political Scientist? Maybe a bank as a marketer smiley The second one is about a guy who was initially studying Geography, but later switched to Economics. He wanted to study one other course in addition to studying Economics. Instead of him to go for a combined programme like Economics-Geography, he decided to register for CIMA(Chartered Institute of Management Accountants). Upon graduation, while his mates had either a B.Sc in Economics or a combined B.Sc, the guy could boast of having passed CIMA professional exams. That made him very marketable to companies like Toyota, Intercontinental Bank and one top consulting firm in Naija.

I actually have a third illustration, which is congruent to the above illustrations, but I will not speak about it. I am sure that you know where I stand in response to your question. Go for Economics! Add a professional qualification to it! Combined honours, no!

Good luck!

PS: The case could be different if your desire is to become a professor in the future, na you know wetin you want sha, My view is biassedly corporate, industry inclined.

Why don't you think that possessing a bachelor's degree is enough to be referred to as an economist.
Re: The Difference Between An Economist Major And An Economist Political Science Combined by haibe(m): 3:59pm On Sep 12, 2016
Tanimola22 i know the guy ur talking about that works in a multinational oil company. That guy is not ordinary, he finished as the best grad in unilag. So no be everybody go get that kind privilege sha but i get ur point

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fqas For FRESH Graduates Seeking Career In Power Industry. / Fire Guts Ecobank In Surulere / Acca/aca Prerequisite To Cfa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.