Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,395 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Cultivate A Heart For God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cultivate A Heart For God (1342 Views)

Cultivate A Selfless Spirit / Cultivate A Lifestyle Of Waiting On The Lord / Let's Not Cultivate That Habit Of Replacing Christ With X (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cultivate A Heart For God by yommyuk: 7:22am On Aug 21, 2011
INTRODUCTION:

How would you like to be remembered? Personalities such as Abraham, Moses, David, Peter, and Paul have inspired believers throughout the ages. Each of them, although imperfect, is an amazing example of what the Lord can do through hearts that are truly committed to Him. Do you want to be like them—a person who honors God wholeheartedly?#

Acts 13:21
But God removed Saul son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, who reign for 40 years.

Why?

He did not do the will of God.

Acts 13:22
But God removed Saul and replaced him with David, a man about whom God said, “I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.

Wow! We have an excellent example to follow.

At the core of everything King David did was a desire to exalt the Lord. The Father wants our paths to be governed by His plans, our interests to be defined by His purposes, and our love to motivate us to obey Him without reservation. When we pursue God’s heart, we find life at its best and a legacy worth leaving to those who come after us.

How can we know if we are following God with all our heart?

A person after God’s heart makes his or her relationship with Him a top priority.

David had an overwhelming love and respect for Scripture because it taught him how to draw closer to the Father.

Psalms 119:15-16
I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.

Psalms 119:105
Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life.

King David also sought God in prayer for strength, wisdom and the Father’s wonderful presence

Psalms 5:3
Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my request to you and wait expectantly.

Psalms 63:6-8
I will awake thinking of you, meditating on you thru the night, because, you are my helper. I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I CLING to you. Your strong right hand holds me securely.

We place our trust in the Lord when facing trials and difficulties.

David trusted in God no matter what hardship he faced. While the rest of Israel’s warriors cowered before Goliath’s terrifying nine-foot frame, David was outraged by how the Philistine dishonored God’s name.

1 Sam 17:45-46
David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s armies, the God of the army of Israel whom you have DEFILED. Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel

Amen!

Throughout his life, David endured extraordinary challenges with great confidence that the Lord would help him. Because of David’s faith and leadership, Israel prospered in a manner unsurpassed to this day.

We have a strong, passionate desire to obey God.

As a man after God’s heart, David delighted in accomplishing the Lord’s will. His obedience wasn’t motivated by the fear of sin’s consequences. Rather, it was David’s trust and love for God that led him to submit wholly to the Lord. On two occasions, David had the opportunity to kill Saul and take the throne of Israel. Yet he preferred to be obedient to God than to be the king.

We demonstrate a spirit of humility.

This future king also shows us that a person with a heart for God is humble. David had many reasons to be proud—he was a handsome man, a skilled musician, the Lord’s anointed ruler, a triumphant warrior, and a national hero.
Yet in 2 Samuel 7:18, David said, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me this far?”

We demonstrate the spirit of a servant.

When he was young, David accepted his father’s authority and obediently tended sheep. As a worker in Saul’s household, David offered his very best to the king, including his musical talents and skills as a military leader. Finally, David served the people of Israel wholeheartedly as their king. In each instance, he was a dedicated, faithful servant of God.

CONCLUSION

Do you desire to mirror God’s heart and to influence those around you for good? You would be wise to follow David’s example. Make your relationship with the Lord a top priority, and trust and obey Him in everything. When you succeed, remember that all you are and have is a gift from God. Then you will show the world that your heart belongs exclusively to Him.

Proverbs 15:33.
Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom, humility precedes honor

God bless wink

(1) (Reply)

If God Is An Objective Truth - Is God Objective? / Saddest Atheist Story! Beware Of Religious Nutjob Families! / Faith: What It Means To An Unprovable concept of God for the religious.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.