Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion (52068 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Witnesses The Arrival Of CMA CGM SCANDOLA At Lekki Port / Lagos Promises To Complete $1.5bn Lekki Port’s Six-Lane Highway / First Largest Container Vessel Berth In Onne Port After 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 4:57pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

Oga they have started building it...
Very different from they have built
Very different phenomena. Factually you were wrong

You claim they have started building

How much have they spent and when is the finish date

The simple reality is that the FG was not properly maintaining the ports at Tin Can and Apapa or the roads leading out of them.
As a business those ports were generating money and should have been getting something back by way of reinvestment

That is more rational
Havng seen that it is clear that the FG does not have the capacity to manage the portsand the same is true of airports that is why they are being concessioned
So any new port has to have an attractive business case .Attractive enough to bring in investment

That is what has happened in Lekki

To suggest building another liability in the name of whatever is just not in tune with the financial reality .

I do not support building a rail line to Niger but then I did not support building Abuja which is a burden unlike Lagos.

If there is a business case for a port anywhere else let their governors attract investment

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:59pm On Oct 31, 2022
Reference:

I've heard these debates for years and years in different fora and the conclusion is that there may never be a meeting point between realists, idealists and optimists. However, I have always been on the side of realism and so I say emphatically;

Yes, the government cannot successfully prosecute projects of real, strategic importance to the development of Nigeria without the private sector as lead and principal; and I stand solidly by the simple fact that the structure of the Nigeria state does not lend to productivity and so government as the operators of such a system simply cannot do 'business'. And being business minded in thought and deed is the only way to generate, draw from and project value across any society on earth.

It all depends, Nigeria airways was one time very profitable that other countries came to learn what we were doing, just like every company with bad leadership, a country too with bad leadership will have problems too ( private or government)
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 4:59pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

And which money did they use to build railway to Niger Republic?

Is that one not a Chinese loan too.?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by jeyselassie(m): 5:00pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:
The truth is when you put National interest first, this port was not necessary for Lagos state as at now, Lagos is very tight and congested causing a lot of pain and hardship on commuters with accidents of containers falling of trailers, this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export.
but are their govenors sleeping ? Why can they not take loan on such initiatives
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2022
Reference:

Is that one not a Chinese loan too.?

Whichever way, the main thing is to other regional ports working
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2022
jeyselassie:
but are their govenors sleeping ? Why can they not take loan on such initiatives

I don't know, I'm not siding them either...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:04pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Very different from they have built
Very different phenomena. Factually you were wrong

You claim they have started building

How much have they spent and when is the finish date

The simple reality is that the FG was not properly maintaining the ports at Tin Can and Apapa or the roads leading out of them.
As a business those ports were generating money and should have been getting something back by way of reinvestment

That is more rational
Havng seen that it is clear that the FG does not have the capacity to manage the portsand the same is true of airports that is why they are being concessioned
So any new port has to have an attractive business case .Attractive enough to bring in investment

That is what has happened in Lekki

To suggest building another liability in the name of whatever is just not in tune with the financial reality .

I do not support building a rail line to Niger but then I did not support building Abuja which is a burden unlike Lagos.

If there is a business case for a port anywhere else let their governors attract investment

I'm not wrong, FG is doing something already is different from they are not planning to do anything, there is big difference...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by emmanuelbrown26: 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2022
Koralords:
Na one man legacy be this after years if leaving office show me one legacy project of obi and I will vote for him ,don't waste your vote ,vote tinubu let him revamp Nigeria ,eko onibaje

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

It all depends, Nigeria airways was one time very profitable that other countries came to learn what we were doing, just like every company with bad leadership, a country too with bad leadership will have problems too ( private or government)
There is nothing wrong with arguing for ports elsewhere however bringing it to this thread in the way you have done is churlish
It is bad natured. We should be celebrating this not carping or spouting envy.
The ports in Lagos are not optimal because of mismanagement by NPA. Hopefully this initiative from LASG with Tolaram will mark a new dawn
It has happened in spite of the FG not because of anything special the FG have done
The FG approved the port in Akwa Ibom years ago

You query building rail to Niger I agree bu even if that were not built I would be asking for an airport in Ibadan
I would ask all the money Ibori was convicted of stealing all the money Akpabio wasted on a stadium and hospital and other waste by governors like Amaechi, Odili and others from the Niger Delta could have delivered a port in the Niger Delta
I would argue the amnesty money could have delivered it
I would argue that the Niger Delta Development Commission could have delivered this
Wike could have delivered it instead of building flyovers everywhere and wasting money on PDP and silly donations
The FG cannot do everything

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Panda7(m): 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2022
same contractors handling ibom deep seaports expecting a quick contract delivery
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:10pm On Oct 31, 2022
Panda7:
same contractors handling ibom deep seaports
expecting a quick contract delivery
Wow has that started ? That will be awesome.
I think that will really open the Eastern part of the country and even parts of Cameroon
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by IbadeHQ: 5:11pm On Oct 31, 2022
DMerciful:
Rushing these projects that has lasted forever to see if it would influence elections but Nigerians are wiser!

The things that affects the common man are fuel price, exchange rates, price of a bag of rice, minimum wage, insecurity, economy etc.

APC is a fraud!

At least they did something, forever Or now. Show us what happened in your state and we'll know what to say.

3 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

That is what I am saying.
Bad leadership will be with us for along time to come. That is a realistic point of view.
But should this stop us from exploiting other means and ways of developing... I don't think so.

Look at the railways, Abuja to Kaduna. Just this year and decades after the collapse of Nigeria Airways, it was the infamous assault and kidnapping that led us to know that there were hundreds more passengers on that train not officially accounted for. Corruption, mismanagement, and till date no one has been called publicly to question. The malaise of government in business remains virile.

Why can't the private sector run the damn thing and government just collects her taxes and levies of any kind.
So let us be realistic here, our structure does not lend itself to enterprise where government leads.
And until we restructure we will keep on reinventing the wheel.

I was fortunate to have experienced the railways in school back then so all the noise about achieving rail infrastructure just frankly baffles and amuses at the same time but here we are, new wine in old skins.... same ol, same ol if you ask me and we know where it is all headed...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Fiscus105(m): 5:14pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I never said Lagos should build for others, I only said it is not necessary for an additional port in Lagos. The FG should try and ensure other ports are functioning to decongest Lagos. .

If Lagos forsee that if they build it, it will generate additional income for them, nothing stop them ok.

.........let stop mindset of, if I can't do it you too should not do it either......

I'm very sure Rivers and Balyesa capable of doing it with easy, but they lack foresight.

One of advantages when successfully govs leverage on past governors to develop state is that .

2 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by DMerciful(m): 5:15pm On Oct 31, 2022
You wanna claim Lagos like most Yorubas do as though nobody comes from Ekiti, Osun, Ondo?
IbadeHQ:

At least they did something, forever Or now. Show us what happened in your state and we'll know what to say.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by mema900: 5:15pm On Oct 31, 2022
Sasi54:
I swear the love that I am having for this country is increasing everyday, Nigeria must be great

$1 = 800NGN

I love this country die!!!
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 5:15pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

Whichever way, the main thing is to get other regional ports working

Totally agree.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:16pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I'm not wrong, FG is doing something already is different from they are not planning to do anything, there is big difference...
You said they have built
g
FG has "been doing" audio projects for ever

Simple question I asked you How much have they spent. How many metres are complete.
Not bluff and bluster but facts?
At any rate the opportnity cost of that rail line is not necessarily a new port
Have they properly maintained the existing ones so when you couch it in opportunity cost terms that is not credible. Why not spend that money on an airport in Ibadan, completing Lagos Ibadan or Ikorodu Sagamu or PH Enugu roads. Why not spend the money to settle ASUU . SO yes there are many opportunity costs to that Niger project but there is no reason why a new seaport will be front of the queue all those other things are of greater national interest
Anyhow PDP were in power for 16 years with the highest oil prices in history

What did they do for southern Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:18pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
There is nothing wrong with arguing for ports elsewhere however bringing it to this thread in the way you have done is churlish
It is bad natured. We should be celebrating this not carping or spouting envy.
The ports in Lagos are not optimal because of mismanagement by NPA. Hopefully this initiative from LASG with Tolaram will mark a new dawn
It has happened in spite of the FG not because of anything special the FG have done
The FG approved the port in Akwa Ibom years ago

You query building rail to Niger I agree bu even if that were not built I would be asking for an airport in Ibadan
I would ask all the money Ibori was convicted of stealing all the money Akpabio wasted on a stadium and hospital and other waste by governors like Amaechi, Odili and others from the Niger Delta could have delivered a port in the Niger Delta
I would argue the amnesty money could have delivered it
I would argue that the Niger Delta Development Commission could have delivered this
Wike could have delivered it instead of building flyovers everywhere and wasting money on PDP and silly donations
The FG cannot do everything

I understand and I apologise if my initial post sounded annoying but I was only trying importance of FG intervention if the states are not coming forth with a solution, I have been in the import and export business and I know how annoying it is to have to transport your goods sometimes from the north to Lagos in an international market that is competitive, the international transport alone has spoilt some transactions in the past and you just wonder why no one even the FG is not trying to intervene, Nigeria is losing a lot of FX because of this...

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by yemex04(m): 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:
The truth is when you put National interest first, this port was not necessary for Lagos state as at now, Lagos is very tight and congested causing a lot of pain and hardship on commuters with accidents of containers falling of trailers, this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export.

Well this port is not owned by Federal Government..it is a project owned by Lagos State Government & Some private investors in a PPP arrangement.

The States in the region you felt it should be should formulate such policies that can be attractive to such a huge investment to their State.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by EmmyDJourno: 5:21pm On Oct 31, 2022
ryloy:
grin

God Bless Incoming President Bola Tinubu
The Builder of Lagos

Where did he build, as Governor please
Don’t bring slave mentality argument into this, just tell us what he built between 1999-2007 angry
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by GeneralDae: 5:21pm On Oct 31, 2022
DennisEche:
Why always Lagos. Aside Sanwo Olu, Wike, Umahi and Emmanuel Udom all other State Government are useless
El Rufai may be a radical but not bad in terms of performance (by Nigerian standards).

Plausible Mention

Zulum

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by plentykola(m): 5:25pm On Oct 31, 2022
LPLE is a joint venture of Tolaram Group (75%), Lagos State Government (20%), and the Nigerian Ports Authority (5%).

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by johnjose68: 5:25pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

You want to site it in DOT nation
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:26pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
You said they have built
g
FG has "been doing" audio projects for ever

Simple question I asked you How much have they spent. How many metres are complete.
Not bluff and bluster but facts?
At any rate the opportnity cost of that rail line is not necessarily a new port
Have they properly maintained the existing ones so when you couch it in opportunity cost terms that is not credible. Why not spend that money on an airport in Ibadan, completing Lagos Ibadan or Ikorodu Sagamu or PH Enugu roads. Why not spend the money to settle ASUU . SO yes there are many opportunity costs to that Niger project but there is no reason why a new seaport will be front of the queue all those other things are of greater national interest
Anyhow PDP were in power for 16 years with the highest oil prices in history

What did they do for southern Nigeria?

Bro I just want an easier life for everyone whichever way it will come through FG or state.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:27pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I understand and I apologise if my initial post sounded annoying but I was only trying importance of FG intervention if the states are not coming forth with a solution, I have been in the import and export business and I know how annoying it is to have to transport your goods sometimes from the north to Lagos in an international market that is competitive, the international transport alone has spoilt some transactions in the past and you just wonder why no one even the FG is not trying to intervene, Nigeria is losing a lot of FX because of this...
I think the case for ports elsewher is sentimental rather than business
This Lekki port is PURELY BUSINESS

The ineficiency in transporting goods is not becaiuse we have one port.
Lagos port is not busy

Do you know that Singapore has the busiest port in the world(anyway it was last time I checked_
Nigeria can do well with one port
However given our multiethnic nature etc I understand how a sense of fairness or sentiment can come into it but in purely technical terms looking at tonnage One port is more than enough if the correct technology and evacuation infrastructure are in place

Now with regard to Lagos ports in Tin Can and Apapa.They are not being run as business but as government parastatals which are inefficient and corrupt . Government realizes it cannot manage ports and has decided to hands off. So the FG intervention you are talking about is unrealistic.
Are we going to build ports that will thrive on state subsidy. I say it is unrealistic because even Tin Can and Apapa that are generating huge money have nothing to show. If it was being run as a business by now they would have built a rail link from those ports to different parts of the country so that Customs activity at the ports are shifted inland to increase efficiency. That is how it is done elsewhere but the ports have been milked with no reinvestment and people misdiagnose the problem
Ethiopia with 100million people is landlocked and in many ways doing better than us
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Panda7(m): 5:31pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Wow has that started ? That will be awesome.
I think that will really open the Eastern part of the country and even parts of Cameroon
i think so but it is constructed alongside another project so the first project has to be completed first before they begin the construction of the sea port.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by IbadeHQ: 5:32pm On Oct 31, 2022
DMerciful:
You wanna claim Lagos like most Yorubas do as though nobody comes from Ekiti, Osun, Ondo?

I'm from Epe local govt, a bonafide son of Lagos. I'm not one of those ipig lunatics telling you Lagos is no man's land just because we accommodate everybody.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by samuelson06(m): 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2022
ryloy:
grin

God Bless Incoming President Bola Tinubu
The Builder of Lagos

Na tribalism go kill you.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by DMerciful(m): 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2022
Every Yoruba claim Lagos!

What rights in Lagos do you have more than someone from Delta?
IbadeHQ:

I'm from Epe local govt, a bonafide son of Lagos. I'm not one of those ipig lunatics telling you Lagos is no man's land just because we accommodate everybody.

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:34pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

Bro I just want an easier life for everyone whichever way it will come through FG or state.
So do I but let us not start on false premises
With one well functioning port we can meet our needs and even those of our neighbors

If you say FG I would ask with all the money the FG makes from TinCan and Apapa what has it invested in modernizing or upgrading

WHy has it not built dry docks with rail links in the hinterland There are many many busier ports around the world doing 10 times the tonnage Tin Can is doing.
We need to bring in private sector knowhow that does not have all the tribalism we see in NPA
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by DeOTR: 5:35pm On Oct 31, 2022
cliqtips:

Nigeria would have been one of the best in the world but for her bad leaders
...her people, actually.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ambode Condemns Oba's Outburst In 'strongest Terms' / Tambuwal Of PDP Leads In Sokoto Governorship Rerun / Jermaine Jackson Visits Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.