Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,584 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront (386 Views)

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by jasena: 5:10am On Nov 01, 2022
I moved into a one bedroom flat which I paid 350k per annum. At the expiration of my rent I told the landlord ( actually the son of the landlorl) I was going to packout as I am expecting to be transferred at my workplace. He insisted that I should pay him a years rent again, when I get transferred he will refund my money. He sounded desperate and confrontational, so for sale of peace having heard he is a cultist, I paid him 200k and he wrote an agreement that I will balance 150k by the end of the next month (November) which I signed. But I later confirmed that I will be transferred away to another state sooner than I had expected.

I have informed him I won't pay up the 150k balance as I intend to packout after the 200k I paid him elapses. But he insist that because I signed the agreement I must abide by it as he will refund my money incase I leave ( I know he is lying).

Am I obligated to pay the balance even when I don't intend to stay another complete year in his house having signed the agreement?
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 5:18am On Nov 01, 2022
Legally you are not even obligated to pay him the 200K. But you paid him out of fear. Well the same fear obligates you to pay the balance because we are no longer talking legality but fear. Just as people are not legally obligated to pay kidnapers but they pay!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by taylor88(m): 5:21am On Nov 01, 2022
E wan use am carry olosho

No pay

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by madridguy(m): 5:23am On Nov 01, 2022
Why don't you put clause in the agreement you signed?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by michlins(m): 5:26am On Nov 01, 2022
You don make mistake already. Get a good lawyer to ensure that the agreement is upheld

Meanwhile while leaving the apartment,lock it up and hold the key. That way he will not be able to rent it out to get new funds like he intends. Should he break in, charge him for breaking and entering then claim your damages
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 5:36am On Nov 01, 2022
taylor88:
E wan use am carry olosho

No pay

madridguy:

michlins:
You don make mistake already. Get a good lawyer to ensure that the agreement is upheld

Meanwhile while leaving the apartment,lock it up and hold the key. That way he will not be able to rent it out to get new funds like he intends. Should he break in, charge him for breaking and entering then claim your damages

You people completely missed the part where he said the man is a cultist. Thats why he paid the 200k. There are people all over who owe years of rent
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by ValCon888: 5:37am On Nov 01, 2022
The first mistake you made was to show him you're afraid of him. He used that fear to force you to make the second mistake of paying him the 200K.

That man has no intention of returning your money when you get transferred.

To fight this battle, you'll need to get your things out of that house. After that, write a petition against him, attach the evidence of payment and submit it to the police.

They'll force him to make the transfer back to you and then you can find your way.
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by MuslimIgbo: 5:46am On Nov 01, 2022
jasena:
I moved into a one bedroom flat which I paid 350k per annum. At the expiration of my rent I told the landlord ( actually the son of the landlorl) I was going to packout as I am expecting to be transferred at my workplace. He insisted that I should pay him a years rent again, when I get transferred he will refund my money. He sounded desperate and confrontational, so for sale of peace having heard he is a cultist, I paid him 200k and he wrote an agreement that I will balance 150k by the end of the next month (November) which I signed. But I later confirmed that I will be transferred away to another state sooner than I had expected.

I have informed him I won't pay up the 150k balance as I intend to packout after the 200k I paid him elapses. But he insist that because I signed the agreement I must abide by it as he will refund my money incase I leave ( I know he is lying).

Am I obligated to pay the balance even when I don't intend to stay another complete year in his house having signed the agreement?
What kind of stupidity is this?
Pay upfront for what reason, why you know you're even packing out before your money expires?

You deserve to do 500 frog jumps and 50 slaps. People like you irritates me.
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by MuslimIgbo: 5:50am On Nov 01, 2022
madridguy:
Don't mind the goat
I'm sure that the useless landlord's son will cook up some stories when it's about time to refund, and he won't get a dime back. That means the goat will end up paying 2 years rent for a place she'll only stay for 10-11 months.
Stories like damages etc

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by madridguy(m): 6:01am On Nov 01, 2022
Leave story, he never said the landlord threatened him to pay.

PoliteActivist:

You people completely missed the part where he said the man is a cultist. Thats why he paid the 200k. There are people all over who owe years of rent
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by Mjshexy(f): 6:15am On Nov 01, 2022
Advertise the house for rent, notify his father (the main Landlord) when you get an interested occupant, remove your 200k and give them the balance and leave there immediately angry

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 6:25am On Nov 01, 2022
madridguy:
Leave story, he never said the landlord threatened him to pay.

You missed the part where he said the man sounded confrontational and desperate
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 6:27am On Nov 01, 2022
Mjshexy:
Advertise the house for rent, notify his father (the main Landlord) when you get an interested occupant, remove your 200k and give them the balance and leave there immediately angry

Funny guy. Rent a house that's not yours to rent. The landlord will simply call police and remove the new guy as a trespasser
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by dawnomike(m): 6:34am On Nov 01, 2022
jasena:

He posting him till you leave...
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by Oceanjagaban: 6:49am On Nov 01, 2022
Fear kills faster than anything,so because he is a cultist you carry 200k give am like that when you aren't even owing him,pls I am a cultist too,send me 100k
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by Mjshexy(f): 6:57am On Nov 01, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Funny guy. Rent a house that's not yours to rent. The landlord will simply call police and remove the new guy as a trespasser
Where was the Landlord when the son was threatening him, he already made the mistake of paying the boy when he knew he wasn't staying for long. At this point it's left for him and the landlord to reason together undecided
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by DenreleDave(m): 7:00am On Nov 01, 2022
Ur 200k don ghost...... Why u go even pay sef? Bcox na cultist, him go keee you abi
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 7:02am On Nov 01, 2022
Mjshexy:
Where was the Landlord when the son was threatening him, he already made the mistake of paying the boy when he knew he wasn't staying for long. At this point it's left for him and the landlord to reason together undecided

It's like paying kidnapers or other criminals - you do because you are afraid. Your life and limb are more important than 150k
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by Mjshexy(f): 7:06am On Nov 01, 2022
PoliteActivist:

It's like paying kidnapers or other criminals - you do because you are afraid. Your life and limb are more important than 150k
And the father was incommunicado at that point shocked
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 7:08am On Nov 01, 2022
Mjshexy:

Incommunicado how?
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by jasena: 8:19am On Nov 01, 2022
Guys thank you for your insightful opinions. I agree I made a mistake. But now I'm willing to resist him come what may as per the 150k balance. But I want to know if I'm on my right. Can the new agreement be disregarded on the grounds that I don't wish to continue the tenancy after the expiration of my rent paid so far?
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by jasena: 8:21am On Nov 01, 2022
Mjshexy:

His father is late. His aged mum is terrified by the boy. He isn't even the first son but doesn't want to hustle goes about claiming cultist and landlord
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by jasena: 8:30am On Nov 01, 2022
The man thinks that because I don't have a family then I have nothing to do with money and therefore he can exploit me. If I have to add the handouts I give him when he complains about one problem or the other then it would be another story. Also he is a weed and cocaine smoker.
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by jasena: 8:32am On Nov 01, 2022
PoliteActivist:
Legally you are not even obligated to pay him the 200K. But you paid him out of fear. Well the same fear obligates you to pay the balance because we are no longer talking legality but fear. Just as people are not legally obligated to pay kidnapers but pay!

Please let's talk legality, do I have the rights to refuse to pay the 150k on the grounds that I will pack out?
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by jasena: 8:35am On Nov 01, 2022
[quote author=ValCon888 post=118030131]The first mistake you made was to show him you're afraid of him. He used that fear to force you to make the second mistake of paying him the 200K.

You are very right. Can't imagine how a Lagosian like myself will be guilty of this mistake.
Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by PoliteActivist: 8:39am On Nov 01, 2022
jasena:

Please let's talk legality, do I have the rights to refuse to pay the 150k on the grounds that I will pack out?

You have a right not to pay him anything at all. How do you think people be owing rent of years? Just tell him you don't have the money. You'd be long gone by the time he goes through process of evicting you!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Pressurising Me To Pay Upfront by Mjshexy(f): 10:58am On Nov 01, 2022
jasena:

His father is late. His aged mum is terrified by the boy. He isn't even the first son but doesn't want to hustle goes about claiming cultist and landlord
Awww...you shouldn't have even renewed the rent, you should have just vacated the apartment for a more peaceful environment

(1) (Reply)

Ikota Housing: 4bedroom Terrace Duplex With Swimming Pool Available / sold: A Standard Plot Of Land With 2 Bedroom En Suite Uncompleted / For Sale! 3/4bedroom Terrace @ Ajah.₦ 55/66M. Eunice 2348029562694

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.