Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? (11193 Views)

Which Food Can #1,000 Cook That Will Last For 3days? / Best Food For Life: Which Food Do You Eat Everyday? / Which Food Do You Hate That Most People Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by jubrilELsudan: 6:27am On Nov 04, 2022
KUKUNASE

1 Like

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by otuword: 6:27am On Nov 04, 2022
Olushylay1:
In my compound,I planted plantain, banana tomatoes,potatoes and pawpaw..
Have been able to feed my kids..I dnt buy alot of things again...
Am thinking of planting beans this week.
this is nt planting seasons na we are closed to dry seasons
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by otuword: 6:29am On Nov 04, 2022
Olushylay1:
this is nt planting seasons we are approaching dry seasons
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by otuword: 6:31am On Nov 04, 2022
I have. A plot of land am still thinking what I can plant the trueth is gari is very cheap still easy I need to look at other things

2 Likes

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by nedekid: 6:33am On Nov 04, 2022
OfficialP:
Which food crops can be grown at home and how, this will go a long way now that for prices are skyrocketing
Tinubu told you the other day naa, you don forget? Reminder,
Cassava, agbado, garri, ewa, dodooo ehhhh..
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by otuword: 6:34am On Nov 04, 2022
Pls can someone tell me when is the best time to plant beans and potatoes
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by otuword: 6:35am On Nov 04, 2022
Pls can someone tell me when is the best time to plant beans and potatoes what is the season for them
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Mercury12(m): 6:36am On Nov 04, 2022
OfficialP:
Which food crops can be grown at home and how, this will go a long way now that for prices are skyrocketing
try ginger, pepper, tomatoes

1 Like

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by ponishah: 6:38am On Nov 04, 2022
OfficialP:
You can plant PDP OR LP , both can grow and produce bountifully, but dont plant APC because it can only germinate and turn to fig tree - just weed
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by HolyMan12: 6:38am On Nov 04, 2022
unite4real:
Get a Yoruba neighbour and see how pepper flourish in your neighborhood
Na to get one Yoruba girl make she come piss for him backyard.

Just I week, pepper go start germinate for the spot grin

1 Like

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by HolyMan12: 6:40am On Nov 04, 2022
maureensylvia:
In my place back then, we grew
Plantain
Banana
Maize
Bitterleaf
Curry
Scentleaf
Aloevera
Oha leaf
Ugu
Pawpaw
Mango
All in one place

I was so angry with my parents then lol grin grin cos our compound looked like village whereas we're living in a city of Aba

I know my mom will read this cos she's an active Nairalander grin grin grin no vex ooo mom say I vex for una cheesy
Thank your God it was then.

Now na sit at home for gum you grin

1 Like

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by extol1(m): 6:45am On Nov 04, 2022
Olushylay1:
please how you do plant potato
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Lukuluku69(m): 6:57am On Nov 04, 2022
OfficialP:

A lot depending on the size of your compound and lay out.

Where I stay, Plantain Tree is a standard must have

You can do Tomatoes, Pepper, Cassava, Yam in sacks, even Potatoes. Like I said, it depends on the size of your compound and the layout.

See fresh Cassava I harvested yesterday evening. Still undecided whether to do Cassava Flour (Elubo Lafun) or just Garri.

N.B See the Cassava tuber. Diced and soaked. By Monday, sun drying to commence. I pray say make rain no fall next sha. If so, my Cassava flour should be ready.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Lukuluku69(m): 6:59am On Nov 04, 2022
otuword:
Pls can someone tell me when is the best time to plant beans and potatoes

From my experience, you can do beans anytime. You just need to water it frequently and I am in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by SirAfoy1(m): 7:00am On Nov 04, 2022
dominique:
Tomatoes (thrives on any type of soil), peppers, okra, vegetables like ugu, shoko etc

Tomatoes don't thrive on any kind of soil o.
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Reallife17: 7:02am On Nov 04, 2022
So you nor do Agricultural science for primary school?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by DWJOBScom(m): 7:28am On Nov 04, 2022
budaatum:
This generation must have never hear of Operation Feed the Nation.

We planted almost everything in our compound. My favourite was ugu and bitterleaf. There was cassava too, and yam and bananas and shọkọ and okro and lots of pawpaws.

It was a single plot of 120mx60m in Ketu Lagos with a 2 storey-house on it too, so planting was all by the edges of the property. The bit I hated was not being able to go to the village for the holidays because my labour was required on our 'farm'.

Now that plot has been sold to a developer who had forced 3 Duplex into that space that there's no space for even vegetable planting self

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by sirray001: 7:49am On Nov 04, 2022
xpressionx:
Cassava, dodo,ewa.
Agbado
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by NACE13: 8:15am On Nov 04, 2022
My parents are the ones who like farming. I grew up as a mini-spoilt kid. Prior to last year, I had never for once held a cutlass or a hoe.
My mother loves papaye and orange a lot, so she's constantly on their matter. She also has pepper, pumpkin leaves, scent leaves. She's planing on launching yam and potato as well. My own is to come around and collect some I can use to cook in my house cool
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Bobbysmart6(m): 9:10am On Nov 04, 2022
Beans..
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by MhizzV(f): 9:13am On Nov 04, 2022
maureensylvia:
In my place back then, we grew
Plantain
Banana
Maize
Bitterleaf
Curry
Scentleaf
Aloevera
Oha leaf
Ugu
Pawpaw
Mango
All in one place

I was so angry with my parents then lol grin grin cos our compound looked like village whereas we're living in a city of Aba

I know my mom will read this cos she's an active Nairalander grin grin grin no vex ooo mom say I vex for una cheesy
Hahahaha! So with mine o,in aba too then...we have plantain,yam,cocoyam, maize,okra,ugu,waterleaf,bitterleaf,paw paw,cassava etc...then I hate planting season eh,I will be praying to be in school till it's over or so...but omo,that made ma mum to spend less in feeding oo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Johel(m): 9:26am On Nov 04, 2022
OfficialP:

Beans, yam, corn, pepper,tomatoes,okro
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by onatisi(m): 9:49am On Nov 04, 2022
CyberHustle:
yams in sacks.
are you sure ? I think yams need to be deep in the soil to grow big

1 Like

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Lukuluku69(m): 10:10am On Nov 04, 2022
onatisi:
are you sure ? I think yams need to be deep in the soil to grow big

No! It doesn't have to be deep inside the soil.

You can drop the piece you want to plant just ⅕ of the sack size filled with soil, and you are ready to go.
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Slimkween: 10:17am On Nov 04, 2022
Okra!!!!!!
See the ones I harvested yesterday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by onatisi(m): 10:33am On Nov 04, 2022
whaoo , i never knew this oo
Lukuluku69:

No! It doesn't have to be deep inside the soil.

You can drop the piece you want to plant just ⅕ of the sack size filled with soil, and you are ready to go.
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Classickj(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2022
Olushylay1:
madam only you plant all this crop cheesy
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by maureensylvia(f): 10:49am On Nov 04, 2022
MhizzV:

Hahahaha! So with mine o,in aba too then...we have plantain,yam,cocoyam, maize,okra,ugu,waterleaf,bitterleaf,paw paw,cassava etc...then I hate planting season eh,I will be praying to be in school till it's over or so...but omo,that made ma mum to spend less in feeding oo.

Hahaha lol
Less feeding is a sure deal
We even sell some then when it's excess

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by budaatum: 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2022
DWJOBScom:

Now that plot has been sold to a developer who had forced 3 Duplex into that space that there's no space for even vegetable planting self

Damn! You know the plot? Its on Dairo Street Ketu. I looked it up on Google Earth and it sure has been developed. No space for a pot plant, lol.

1 Like

Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by budaatum: 1:02pm On Nov 04, 2022
Mindlog:

Ours was in Ojota, a storey building and in front, my parents planted Coconut (2), Mango, Orange, Tangerine, Pawpaw, Plantain and Banana then for veggies, we steadily had Oha, bitterleaf, nchanwu (Efirin, scent leaf)......our compound had a village feel and I did hate washing bitter leaves. cheesy

Efirin, lol! We'd sometimes made stew with just Efirin and ewuro. I hated it then but grew to love it. Love ewuro too. I plant it in my village farm to hide my Igbo, as in, my proper Igbo.

I so miss home!
Re: Which Food Crops Can Be Grown At Home? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2022
Mindlog:

Ours was in Ojota, a storey building and in front, my parents planted Coconut (2), Mango, Orange, Tangerine, Pawpaw, Plantain and Banana then for veggies, we steadily had Oha, bitterleaf, nchanwu (Efirin, scent leaf)......our compound had a village feel and I did hate washing bitter leaves. cheesy
My parents asides from their businesses always made out time for farming in our compound. Cassava, orange, cashew, pawpaw, banana, plantain, avocado, soursop, bitterleaf, pineapple, scent leaf, Ugwu, mango, coconut, breadfruit (still growing though). Maize and yam is done once a year Sha. Tomatoes and peppers na sometimes. It made feeding less expensive for us. Na the plantain dey give me joy pass cuz na every week we dey harvest plantain.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does It Matter If She Can't Cook? / *The Best Fertility Food* / What Is Ur Favorite Nigerian Packed Noodles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.