Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,524 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide (44772 Views)

Twitter DMs To Have End To End Encryption - Elon Musk / Would Elon Musk Keep Parag Agrawal As Twitter CEO After This Tweet? / BREAKING: HUNDREDS Of Twitter Employees Paid To View "Everything You Post Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by HonNL: 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2022
Public policy staff and content moderators are among those who have been sacked.

Scores of Twitter employees, including some involved in the company's public policy and content-moderation activities, were fired on Friday as Elon Musk reimagines the social network.

In heartfelt tweets, many using the hashtags #LoveWhereYouWork and #OneTeam, employees took to the social media platform to let others know that they had been let go. Many of those posting had previously worked in roles including public policy, communication, engineering, marketing and human resources.

"All my thoughts, respect, energy and love to all tweeps around the world today," Damien Viel, the head of the company's operation in France, wrote on Twitter. "We have built together the most incredible app on the planet. Let’s be proud of everything we have done and how have done it."

Many who have so far lost their jobs were barred from accessing company logins for online Twitter accounts Thursday night without having been previously informed that their contracts had been terminated, according to one former employee who spoke to POLITICO on condition of anonymity.

The announcements follow an internal email that circulated Thursday that informed the company's tens of thousands of employees worldwide that they would be informed via email on November 4 whether or not they would remain at the company. There had been speculation that up to half of Twitter's global workforce may lose their jobs, according to Bloomberg.

In Dublin, Twitter’s European headquarters, employees speaking with the Irish Times have described the situation as “carnage,” where layoffs are “random and indiscriminate.” A now-former Twitter executive based in the United Kingdom told POLITICO that people were sharing frantic WhatsApp messages with colleagues, trying to garner the latest information about who had been fired — and who was still at the company.

"There's a lot of droom-scrolling on Twitter to see what's going on," the individual, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told POLITICO.

Joan Deitchman, who was a senior engineer in Twitter's machine learning, ethics, transparency and accountability team, wrote on the platform that the unit — whose job included research on how to improve transparency around automated algorithms — had been completely disbanded. That work is central to how regulators are now looking to police social media, including how potentially hate-filled content is promoted automatically across these platforms.

"All that is gone," she said.

A Twitter spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

One Musk to rule them all

Disgruntled staff in the United States have launched a class-action lawsuit against Twitter, claiming they were not given enough notice of the termination of their contract under U.S. federal law. In Europe, strict labor laws in countries like Belgium may similarly make it difficult — and costly — for Musk to jettison local employees.

"Getting rid of public policy people when you’re claiming to do “real free speech” is the [stupidest] move ever," Audrey Herblin-Stoop, Twitter's former chief lobbyist in France, wrote on the platform.

The mass firing represents the next stage in Musk's takeover of the social network, which remains a mainstay in how political leaders from U.S. President Joe Biden to France’s Emmanuel Macron to Iran's Ali Khamenei communicate with a global audience.

In the hours after acquiring Twitter in late October, Musk fired the company's board, including its chief executive Parag Argawal, as well as Vijaya Gadde, who ran the social media company's legal, policy and trust teams.

In a bid to increase revenue at the social media network that has continuously struggled to make a profit, Musk also wants to charge people $8 a month so that their accounts can be verified via the company's now-iconic "blue tick" logo. The mass layoffs announced Friday are also part of these efforts to make the company more profitable.

The world's richest man has become a lightning rod for how online content should be policed after he posted falsehoods surrounding the attack on U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband in California, claimed the platform should be a global townhall where people can freely express their views, and promised advertisers that Twitter would not become a "free-for-all hellscape."

"He specifically said to us that he does not want Twitter to be a hate amplifier," said Yael Eisenstat, head of the Anti-Defamation League's Center for Technology and Society, who participated in a call with Musk alongside other civil society groups this week. "We will continue to watch to make sure that those actions actually happen."

SOURCE

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by budaatum: 2:19pm On Nov 04, 2022
He'd be in serious trouble if he sacked people working for him in UK.

But he's got money to pay I suppose, so no trouble at all.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Zenzu01(m): 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2022
Elon Musk is a business man and it's obvious he's doing all these to protect his new business. Remember that Jack plans to open another social network which will want to complete with Twitter, so the best is not to allow Jack still have insiders that can still feed him with info about what's going on in Twitter. The problem is just that these people will become jobless and that's not cool.

PS: this is just my point of view oo, as I believe Elon Musk aims to make profit with Twitter.

219 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by hurryup123(m): 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2022
Why do people care so much about twitter? If you don’t like the owner delete your account and move on...

The richest man needs more money

104 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Sirheny007(m): 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2022
My G. grin grin
This is the beginning of something new in the Bird app.
An interesting change in the social media space.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by QuoteJustOnce: 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2022
As e dey pain them, e dey sweet us

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Brendaniel: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Abeg sanity should start returning back to the world, I'm tired of seeing all these suppression of freedom of speech online, they say you can't talk about hell fire, against LGBTQ, against Islam, against abortion and so on but the same people can talk anyhow about those who do not support them.

As long as it is for the freedom of speech I support it

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by adioolayi(m): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Werey re o!!!

Mass legal actions against Elon Musk/Twitter in sane societies...

For those employees based in a country like ours...O ti lo is their case (e don go)

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Jalab26(m): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Wow
Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Treadway: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Zenzu01:
Elon Musk is a business man and it's obvious he's doing all these to protect his new business. Remember that Jack plans to open another social network which will want to complete with Twitter, so the best is not to allow Jack still have insiders that can still feed him with info about what's going on in Twitter. The problem is just that these people will become jobless and that's not cool.

PS: this is just my point of view oo, as I believe Elon Musk aims to make profit with Twitter.
simple as ABC. He isn't a politician, he is a businessman and a smart one too, who must have had a damn good reason for taking that decision. End of!

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by israel90: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
He is being the boss

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by jimetagambo: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Bye bye oo. He needs to layoff to an extent. He bought a company worth $13 billion for $44Billion, he already had a $31 Billion loss before taking over the company.

Also,
Tech layoffs are everywhere:

Opendoor 18%
Stripe 14%
Chime 12%
Twitter 50%
Lyft cutting 13% of staff
Dapper Labs cutting 22% of staff
Stripe cutting 14% of staff
Amazon paused hiring for corporate staff
META: pause
Microsoft: Layoffs
Netflix: Layoffs
Flipboard: 21%

E.t.c.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by NwaNimo1(m): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by FeliciaOja(f): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
$6 billion will feed the hungry people around the world for 1 year

Man spends $44 billion on buying an App

Humans are very dumb creatures cry

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Kobicove(m): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
This guy's actions will end up leading to disenfranchisement of the remaining employees undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by bid4rich(m): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
One thing I understand about employees in any establishment is that.....if you are not tired yourself, you will be retired or fired. One option is certain.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by PENNYSWAP: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Facist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by blaqhat: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Welcome to the labour market

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Musk ll ruin Twitter.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by INTEGRITYA1(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Okay
Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Wow

There was one Dara Oladosu who got a job offer from Jack Dorsey's team after building an app that helps collate threads.

I was disappointed that he took that offer instead of building something.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by KennethEnyi(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Useless man
Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Pells: 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Better than Tibubu undecided

3 Likes

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Kingluqman(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Omo, this man Na real business man
Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by sammysmiles(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Business oriented man...
Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by sammysmiles(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
KennethEnyi:
Useless man
So na you dey useful now?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Justinlean02(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
What's coming from South East would shock the world, the network you're using can be interrupted for the rising sun cometh grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Authoreety: 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Lol
Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by jimmyolasun: 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
make i go dust my CV.. space don open for me... cheesy cheesy.. awa agba loader ati hacker

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by NotKnown: 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2022
Okay na.

I believe ElonShrine just have kept a separate $10 billion somewhere to settle sacked workers.

Cos njo right thinking person will just fire much people like that world wide. I guess his advisers need to upbtheir game.

Well, he didn't get to be the richest man in the world by being soft.

Go hard or go home.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk Fires Twitter Employees Worldwide by Elidrisy20: 3:17pm On Nov 04, 2022
He should concentrate on his tasla jor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Unblock And Link Your NIN To Your MTN, Glo, Airtel And 9mobile Number / How Do I Push Etisalat Browsing Settings To My Phone. / See What Happened To My S8+ Screen Of 115k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.