Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture (20893 Views)

Used Green Houses For Sale / Inadequate Storage Facilities: How It Is Affecting Our Agriculture / Rice Farmers, Others To Access Bill Gate's $30bn Agriculture Grant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by DOM7: 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2022
Rubbish! People keep talking agriculture as if agriculture is to just till the ground and burry seed. Agriculture needs money,after money market and other things follow. I hate the way people keep calling people lazy, im from plateau state I know what im talking about we farm virtually everything plantable after labouring and investing money the one God bless you and it produced well you battle with marketing after sometimes the goods spoiled. This is politians language to make it look like the are not the problem. We've been battling potato blit for how many years no solution after putting in millions you harvest nothing and government are not doing anything about it after all the billions we are sinking in the research institute. They went and produce fake fertilizer and bring and collect our money. Don't let me curse you abeg!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Graciousnaija: 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2022
While I can of agree with you, who has risen up in government to address the issues of housing? The little that government constructed were shared by those who have the moneybag and power. As much as agriculture is key, housing is also key.

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by MrPRevailer(m): 3:22pm On Nov 08, 2022
jjcena:

The reason why he mentioned the vast land in the north is because, compared to other places that has uncultivated lands they are number 1. If the land is cultivated properly, they alone can feed the entire country, who knows even export the excess. They have the most number of unemployed youths. Need I mention the poverty rate that would be reduced in the north when they cultivate the vast land??

Agave and other succulent plants can be planted in vast dry regions with minimal or no care.

In the Age of Megadrought, Farmers in the West See Promise in Agave

https://civileats.com/2022/10/25/in-the-age-of-megadrought-farmers-in-the-west-see-promise-in-agave/
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Emu4life(m): 3:23pm On Nov 08, 2022
sircatherine45:

Because the parasitic, backwards, underdeveloped, bandit-infested, uneducated, illiterate, ignorant, hypocritical, Jihad-ridden North won't agree!
If these are the people holding you, then you probably are not any different from them, maybe even worse.
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Emu4life(m): 3:26pm On Nov 08, 2022
DOM7:
Rubbish! People keep talking agriculture as if agriculture is to just till the ground and burry seed. Agriculture needs money,after money market and other things follow. I hate the way people keep calling people lazy, im from plateau state I know what im talking about we farm virtually everything plantable after labouring and investing money the one God bless you and it produced well you battle with marketing after sometimes the goods spoiled. This is politians language to make it look like the are not the problem. We've been battling potato blit for how many years no solution after putting in millions you harvest nothing and government are not doing anything about it after all the billions we are sinking in the research institute. They went and produce fake fertilizer and bring and collect our money. Don't let me curse you abeg!
I feel your pain bro. This is so sad

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by namo77: 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
You're very correct.

And now,,,
Let me tell you the most prominent factor that is inhibiting the hunger for the practice of agriculture.??

OUR MENTALITY....
And then, coupled with our education system..
We are not educated to find a living or a business in any Agriculture-related Value-Chain..

Now we are deliberately diverting from oil to Social-Media sources of Income.
Another Error in the making.

Are we all going to be content-creators on social media??

My farm was destroyed by herdsmen…lost millions… but my house is still standing.. that’s my reason for abandoning farming until APC government is kicked out

You should first attack the government before attacking the hard working people…

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Theunbothered: 3:30pm On Nov 08, 2022
OP is what we call an "educated illiterate" check all the statistics, most Nigerians are into agriculture. This narrative is a lie used to blame us for the poverty happening.
sircatherine45:
Nigerians, especially the Southerners are very lazy, daft and stupid. They don't bring innovative ideas, their own is to take drugs, drink, fvck olosho, be loud, do rituals, brag about cash, oppress the poor and sleep in churches for prayers.

nonsense!

But in the North where they bomb each other and marry teenagers is better. grin

2 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by samsard(m): 3:31pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
If an average Nigerian has some piece of land (or lands), he would leave it fallow, and the land would be wasting away.

If you ask him why he left the land unused,, HE WOULD RUSH TO SAY THAT THE MONEY HAS NOT COME YET....[/b]

He won't even get himself to think that you were asking him why he wasn't planting on the land...
He would be thinking that you asked him why he had not built anything on the land, or why he had not sold it to someone (or some people) who has the resources and funds to build something on the land..

That's where we now find ourselves now.

We need a re-orientation.
We need to re-align our minds..

We have become so lazy.
We see land, and instead of seeing Agriculture, we are seeing houses, and plazas, and shops....
As if it is everybody that can venture into real estate business.
You're also kind of myopic. With the right pace of development & agric tech, you don't need more than circa 10% of the population of 200m to farm.
And property prices appreciate; waiting till you have the complete resources to build a house before you farm is foolhardy.
You mostly see the attitude you mentioned in urban centers. Obviously, no one in Abuja for example will pay a large sum for a 100 by 100 to plant corn. But a lot of people already do farm on residential land, just depends on where you live.
At the end, we can't all become farmers just as we can't all be into real estate development.

3 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by bizzibodi(m): 3:33pm On Nov 08, 2022
It is difficult to make it in agriculture in nigeria except few crops.
You need vast acres of cultivated farmlands to make reasonable return on investment i mean millions,don't forget a farmer income is not monthly but 4,6 & 12months income after harvest if divided by the number of months e.g if it takes one 8months to grow
& sell 1 hectares of cassava at #1.2m less expenses#300k divided by 8mnths gives a #122.5k/months ,vast lands mean bigger harvest which also mean more capital to invest ,more labours to engage,more fertilizers,herbicides, pesticides,more Modern farm machineries like tractors,planters,harvesters,silos, processing equipment,spare parts which means employing more qualified staffs like as agric engineer,manager, agronomist to successfully operate the equipment,farms.
For tractor a brand new India tractor cost #10m-#12m,I doubt if nigeria make tractors & co.
Spare parts & equipment repairs are not cheap.let go price the big tyre of a tractor
How many years will a farmer do to recoup his money back before the tractor breakdown
There is always obstacles to surmount from land clearing,tilling to harvest & storage.
You need many farm hands up to 30 to harvest 3 hectares of beans if available for example.
Even organise farm that are ran like company are folding up.
The only sector that make it are the middlemen, processors who bypass all those rigors also taking advantage of low prices of farm produces during harvest season to buy at low price stores,hoard & sell at higher prices.
Let me stop here for now.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by irumanle(m): 3:34pm On Nov 08, 2022
I was at SEEDCO Annual Products Exhibition last week. From what I learnt last week I have decided to venture into maize farming in this coming season.
I lived with my grandparents as a little boy, they make their fortunes from agriculture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by ComeToJesus: 3:37pm On Nov 08, 2022
I know a young dude who took out loans and invested heavily in fish ponds and poultry.

The floods struck at night and killed all the birds except a few who could fly and perch on the rafters of the roofing.

The fishes, of course, naturally went with flood.

Now, tell that young man about agriculture again.

5 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by CLATHRIN: 3:39pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
If an average Nigerian has some piece of land (or lands), he would leave it fallow, and the land would be wasting away.

If you ask him why he left the land unused,, HE WOULD RUSH TO SAY THAT THE MONEY HAS NOT COME YET....[/b]

He won't even get himself to think that you were asking him why he wasn't planting on the land...
He would be thinking that you asked him why he had not built anything on the land, or why he had not sold it to someone (or some people) who has the resources and funds to build something on the land..

We have become so lazy.
We see land, and instead of seeing Agriculture, we are seeing houses, and plazas, and shops....

Central Bank of Nigeria
https://www.cbn.gov.ng › rsdPDF
Addressing Housing Deficit in Nigeria: Issues, Challenges and ...

https://www.fao.org/nigeria/fao-in-nigeria/nigeria-at-a-glance/en/

Check the links above and stop spewing fallacies. We don't understand nor deal with figures in Nigeria. Let us admit it and start researching. Nigerians are farming too much with little output to show for it. Too much stress in the name of farming, perhaps that is the subsistent lifestyle Buhari keeps spouting that we should return to. The stone age era of farming. What percentage of the population of developed nations are into farming?

Housing deficit is a huge problem in Nigeria. Statistically, we are doing worse than so many other nations.

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Parachoko: 3:41pm On Nov 08, 2022
Shoodboi:
Agriculture, agriculture, agriculture… How many of the people telling you to go into agriculture made their money from agriculture?

Is Nigeria not an agrarian country? Over 70% of Nigerians are farmers. Travel outside Lagos and you'd see farms everywhere. From the southwest to the southeast, to the middle belt, to the north, it's all farmland. Even within the overpopulated Lagos, you'd find lots of farms in Badagry, Ojo, and Iyana Iba. We have enough farmers already. So what is all the noise about agriculture?

Every single friend that I know that went into farming is either broke now, is in some serious debt, or both. Not one, as in, not a single one of them made anything substantial. They all lost money.

From the one that does his thing at the back of his family house to the one that rented large farmlands from a community — they are all broke. The successful ones amongst them are those that teach people how to go into farming. They sell courses, books, consultancy, and all. That's where they make their money and not on the farms themselves.

No single farmer in Nigeria today would encourage anyone to go into farming. It is always you people who are not into farming but are always calculating how much you'd make from hiding a bag of maize until harvest is over, or doing some small-scale farming but not doing your accounting properly that are screaming agriculture, farming and all.
hmm
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Parachoko: 3:42pm On Nov 08, 2022
sircatherine45:

Because the parasitic, backwards, underdeveloped, bandit-infested, uneducated, illiterate, ignorant, hypocritical, Jihad-ridden North won't agree!
Do you have an evidence to prove this?

Southern Nigerians have not shown any seriousness about leaving Nigeria.

Absolute majority of Nigerians both in the South and North are not interested in division of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by BluntCrazeMan: 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2022
Shoodboi:
Agriculture, agriculture, agriculture… How many of the people telling you to go into agriculture made their money from agriculture?

Is Nigeria not an agrarian country? Over 70% of Nigerians are farmers. Travel outside Lagos and you'd see farms everywhere. From the southwest to the southeast, to the middle belt, to the north, it's all farmland. Even within the overpopulated Lagos, you'd find lots of farms in Badagry, Ojo, and Iyana Iba. We have enough farmers already. So what is all the noise about agriculture?

Every single friend that I know that went into farming is either broke now, is in some serious debt, or both. Not one, as in, not a single one of them made anything substantial. They all lost money.

From the one that does his thing at the back of his family house to the one that rented large farmlands from a community — they are all broke. The successful ones amongst them are those that teach people how to go into farming. They sell courses, books, consultancy, and all. That's where they make their money and not on the farms themselves.

No single farmer in Nigeria today would encourage anyone to go into farming. It is always you people who are not into farming but are always calculating how much you'd make from hiding a bag of maize until harvest is over, or doing some small-scale farming but not doing your accounting properly that are screaming agriculture, farming and all.
Over-grown Bushes are not farms.

Or you want a statistics of the cultivated lands and those of bushes to be gathered and compared before you realise that bushes and unusable weeds and plants have overgrown our dear country??
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Chetas81(m): 3:45pm On Nov 08, 2022
SICK SOCIETY SICK CITIZENS WITH THEIR USELESS MENTALITY ___ DEFECTIVE THINKING IS THEIR FIRST PRIORITY IN NIGERIA
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Parachoko: 3:46pm On Nov 08, 2022
okine4real:
as i dey now, i get 4 acres wasting, i have to plant this here i swear, the problem of planting is security. I wanted to do plantain plantation before, but while will i do plantation where by once the plantain start to dey grow plantain, the whole community go dey help me monitor am? before i harvest am, people go come dey harvest am. This is the major issue regards farming. This is while lots of people do cassava, its difficult to thief. Well i will be planting yam this year sha, and may be cocoyam.

Dem dey still yam and cocoyam too unless you will fence your farm
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:

We have become so lazy.

OP, in as much as I agree with you, I also disagree. I’m sure you know about town and regional planning? There are sites and locations assigned agriculture, so also for residential and commerce etc…

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Tegabadguy(m): 3:55pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:

We have become so lazy.
that's true

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by ZombieSlayer1: 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:

We have become so lazy.
True, it's crazy. People will buy land, fence it and leave it like that. Not me though, I planted plantain in 2 of my plots, cucumber and watermelon in another, ugu in the third and I have a fish pond and snailery in the other remaining 3

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by femicyrus(m): 3:59pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:

We have become so lazy.
Once you leave Nigeria, you will realize that there is life outside agriculture.
A lazy government will always hide behind agriculture as the only means of youth employment creation in Nigeria

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by BluntCrazeMan: 3:59pm On Nov 08, 2022
Shoodboi:

Meanwhile...
What you said is the truth..

But I wonder why famers in other countries make it big.
Texas, Norway, Switzerland, and so on

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by BluntCrazeMan: 4:01pm On Nov 08, 2022
femicyrus:

Once you leave Nigeria, you will realize that there is life outside agriculture.
A lazy government will always hide behind agriculture as a the only means of youth employment creation in Nigeria
If technology can create food, then I buy your idea fully.

But since Agriculture is still the source of the food we eat, then, we cannot do without it.

If not, we might find ourselves importing food from other countries..
That is,, if we all venture into all other sources of making a living

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by BluntCrazeMan: 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2022
Goddson:

OP, in as much as I agree with you, I also disagree. I’m sure you know about town and regional planning? There are sites and locations assigned agriculture, so also for residential and commerce etc…
Those sites mapped for Agriculture are heavily fallowed and Over-grown with bushes.

That's the issue here
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
Over-grown Bushes are not farms.

Or you want a statistics of the cultivated lands and those of bushes to be gathered and compared before you realise that bushes and unusable weeds and plants have overgrown our dear country??

I know the difference between a bush and a farm, so that shouldn't have come up in the first place. I don't know what you're driving at with that. 70% of Nigerians are farmers. Almost everyone living outside the major cities is a farmer. Even in places like Ojo in Lagos, close to LASU, you'd see farmland right by the roadside. When you go outside Lagos, there are farms everywhere. Nigeria is a farming nation. the problem is not farming. The issue rather is the focus on substinence farming, which requires manual labor coupled with poor storage and transportation facilities, and the lack of a value chain. If we sort these issues, we'd see the hard work of our farmers in full gear.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by BluntCrazeMan: 4:04pm On Nov 08, 2022
sircatherine45:

You're a big mystery
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by cyrilamx(m): 4:05pm On Nov 08, 2022
No one can’t tell me that this ops didn’t come from Benin or hasn’t lived in Benin. He succinctly captured the mentality of my people. I was just discussing this abnormalities with a friend before I open this tread. Every family member wants to build house, which is not wrong, idea of invading agricultural lands and converting same by selling to residential developers is sickening... my people see lands as the recent gold mine, hence there is the rush to form community group and appoint a chairman that will see to these sales. Some even advertise to prospective buyers that you “buy 3 plots, get one free” . No one is thinking of attracting companies to their localities with the idea of getting their people employed. Just so sad. Sell your agricultural lands and depend on northerners to feed you. Shameless.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by somehow: 4:06pm On Nov 08, 2022
You can't boast and oppress the people in your environment with farmlands but you can do such with how big and many your houses are.

2 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by Sheuns(m): 4:09pm On Nov 08, 2022
You can succeed in farming if you have the money and resources alongside machines. Shey na hoe and cutlass you wan take till land and make money?

3 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by sircatherine45(m): 4:09pm On Nov 08, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
You're a big mystery
I doubt if you get farm. No go plant cassava. Dey NL dey show yourself.
Nonsense!
Re: In Nigeria, We Love Building Houses More Than Agriculture by BluntCrazeMan: 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2022
GboyegaD:
One need not use the entire land to plant and if one doesn't live around the land, what happens? If you are trying to encourage people having gardens in their house, good however, if it is full farming, very bad. Subsistence farming should be discouraged.
Let's discuss this issue of Subsistence Farming..
I support it..
Being that, instead of being lazy, go into subsistence farming.
That's what people in the village do.
They rent lands of people who live in the city, and farm on them.
No matter how little they realise from such farming.

So, what are your reasons for saying that it should be discouraged?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must You Live In The City? Why Village Life Is Better!! / Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm / How Profitable Pepper Farming Is In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.