Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,920 members, 7,810,532 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? (11629 Views)

What's Your Honest Opinion About Beating Kids Like This ? / My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? / Parents Loving One Of Their Children More Than The Others: Your Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Haynnie: 10:30am On Nov 10, 2022
Hello Nlanders,

There’s this issue that has been going on in my mind for a while now. Is concerning families who prepare their son/daughter for marriage at a young age before they are legally joined together at later age.
This practice has been on for ages in some part of the world even in Africa, Nigeria it is still carried out but it is commonly observed in royal families and people from socioeconomic countries.

*My question is what is your opinion about being betrothed in this modern world?
*Is there any real bond between couples that are betrothed?
*What are the chances that the marriage will work?
*Is there any valid reason behind betrothal marriage?
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Two02: 10:57am On Nov 10, 2022
I find it odd and disturbin
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by fasho01(m): 10:57am On Nov 10, 2022
It's becoming obsolete

17 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Pinnot(m): 10:58am On Nov 10, 2022
It's not important anymore

3 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Ololanla: 10:58am On Nov 10, 2022
Northerners should tell us.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by lavylilly: 10:59am On Nov 10, 2022
“Biblical times” covers a broad section of history’s timeline, since Bible history spans several thousand years and a number of cultures. Through those years and in those cultures, betrothal traditions varied. However, some elements of betrothal were consistent throughout.

“Engagements” in Bible times, like those in modern-day Western countries, were heterosexual relationships preliminary to marriage. Then, as now, the engagement period gave the bride time to prepare for her new role, to gather personal belongings, to adjust relationships with parents, siblings, and friends, and in some cases to become better acquainted with her fiancé. The groom used the engagement period for similar matters, including completing the house in which he would raise his family.

Arranged marriages were common in Bible times, and it was possible that the bride and groom might not even know each other until they met at the wedding ceremony. If the parents arranged the marriage while the bride, the groom, or both were too young for marriage, a much longer betrothal would ensue. What seems strange to modern Westerners is that neither sexual attraction nor love was considered a necessary prelude to engagement or marriage. Parents who arranged a marriage for their children assumed that love and affection would grow out of the intimate acquaintance and sexual bonding that naturally takes place in a marriage. This mindset helps explain why Ephesians 5:25–33 commands Christian husbands to love their wives and Christian wives to respect their husbands. Such love and respect grew after the wedding and was not necessarily required beforehand.

In modern Western culture, there is a clear distinction between betrothal/engagement and marriage. In the cultures of Bible times, the distinction was much less definitive. Betrothal in most eras of Bible history involved two families in a formal contract, and that contract was as binding as marriage itself. Betrothal then was more of a business transaction between two families than a personal, romantic choice. Dowry or bride price agreements were included, so that a broken engagement required repayment of the dowry. After betrothal, all that remained were three matters: the wedding celebration, the bride’s move into the groom’s house, and the consummation of the marriage.

The best-known example of betrothal is that of Jesus’ mother, Mary, and her fiancé, Joseph. When Joseph learned that Mary was pregnant, and before he understood the miraculous nature of the conception, he thought that Mary had violated her betrothal, which was as binding as a marriage contract. At first, Joseph believed that his only recourse was to divorce her, or “put her away.” Matthew records the account: “This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly” (Matthew 1:18–19). Matthew says that Mary was “pledged to be married,” but he also calls Joseph “her husband.” The fact that a “divorce” was required to break the betrothal shows that their premarital contract was legally binding. If, even during the betrothal period, Mary had been sexually intimate with someone other than Joseph, she would have been guilty of adultery.
cheesy read more about people's thought about the topic in 2018 on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/7420915/smj-mini-solar-grid

4 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Teeroyzimma: 10:59am On Nov 10, 2022
If u like vote for tinubu, The Ikeja that you think is a safe haven in Lagos will be the same place kidnappers will push you into their car in broad day light with ease and use your skull for ritual.

2023 is around the corner pls vote wisely

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Dearlord(m): 10:59am On Nov 10, 2022
That was the best practice that should never be abolished

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Antoeni(m): 10:59am On Nov 10, 2022
It’s Slavery

1 Like

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Mindlog: 10:59am On Nov 10, 2022
Probably more prevalent in the Northern part of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by xristos(m): 11:00am On Nov 10, 2022
hmm
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Mindlog: 11:00am On Nov 10, 2022
Dearlord:
That was the best practice that should never be abolished

You can't stop time, people are evolving. wink

9 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by GoooodHardDick: 11:00am On Nov 10, 2022
Why exactly is this rubbish on FP? angry

Which mod move this thing Come frontpage?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by usah4(m): 11:00am On Nov 10, 2022
To me right now it's lack of wisdom.
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by MelesZanawi: 11:00am On Nov 10, 2022
You mean used for giveaway like Bianca?
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 10, 2022
Haynnie:
Hello Nlanders,

There’s this issue that has been going on in my mind for a while now. Is concerning families who prepare their son/daughter for marriage at a young age before they are legally joined together at later age.
This practice has been on for ages in some part of the world even in Africa, Nigeria it is still carried out but it is commonly observed in royal families and people from socioeconomic countries.

*My question is what is your opinion about being betrothed in this modern world?
*Is there any real bond between couples that are betrothed?
*What are the chances that the marriage will work?
*Is there any valid reason behind betrothal marriage?

angry
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Abicarrick: 11:01am On Nov 10, 2022
Was never in support of it... Thank God it's obselete now

1 Like

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Ololanla: 11:01am On Nov 10, 2022
Northerners should help out.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Gkay1(m): 11:01am On Nov 10, 2022
Northerners are still doing it.
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by madridguy(m): 11:01am On Nov 10, 2022
Best practice so far.
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 10, 2022
It's now outdated. We are to live and find love hurts ourselves these days. Or let me say bethrotal is now by choice.
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Xagacem: 11:03am On Nov 10, 2022
Outdated practice no longer obtainable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by chris4gold(m): 11:03am On Nov 10, 2022
Really don't have much to contribute to this topic, but it's senseless to me.
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Emperormartin(m): 11:03am On Nov 10, 2022
Betrothal is mainly practice among political and royal class...

But there's sth the couples are not telling you... They'll be chronic cheaters as the year wore on...

2 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Marcofranz(m): 11:03am On Nov 10, 2022
Betrothal is demonic undecided likewise parents who try to live their lives through their wards. Choose the type of friends they keep , the type of clothes they wear

2 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by UKusedBoyfriend(m): 11:05am On Nov 10, 2022
Its becoming obsolete

Meanwhile,
There's a platform where you could earn at least 500 naira daily. It isn't much but like they say, half bread is better than none.

500 *30= 15000 at least you can use it for data subscription or other miscellaneous expenses

If you are interested, quote this with your email address.
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Thomthom(m): 11:05am On Nov 10, 2022
If the people that are betrothed are not complaining I no see any issue here.. I have met a Lady who told me she was betrothed, and after much pressure she still insisted on the betrothed things so I left no be by force.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by Dearlord(m): 11:06am On Nov 10, 2022
Mindlog:

You can't stop time, people are evolving. wink

No inches of doubt on that, but let get prepared for vawulence evolution because more efforts and resources will be put in place to achieve the simple old way of life
Re: What’s Your Opinion About Being Betrothed? by 9jayes: 11:06am On Nov 10, 2022
That’s what they did to me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? / Investments For Students, Corper, Teachers,workers And Stay At Home Mums / Attacked By Father- In -law For Catching My Wife Having An Affair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.