Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? (11672 Views)

Wife Insisted I Greet Her After She Have Given Me Food / What Can You Never Forgive Your Parent For? / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by WarfyBoy(m): 1:12am On Mar 05, 2008
How do you greet your Parents when you

wake up

or

see them 4 d first time

Or After eating a meal.

Some of the elder friends i had said its better n mo respectful to greet in your native dialect than using english.

So i always greet my parent Khai ra [ishan language, i dnt kno if dts d corect spelin tho] after eating or in the afternoon.

Then Es an when i just wake up

So lets have your say on this, how do your own parents wants you to greet them?
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by bawomolo(m): 1:59am On Mar 05, 2008
whatup ma nigga
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by almondjoy(f): 2:51am On Mar 05, 2008
bawomolo:

whatup ma nigga

he he he he he he. cheesy

That is more like it.
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by tRoOE(f): 5:27am On Mar 05, 2008
Well most of the time I usually hey mom or good afternoon, morning or whatever time it is

Even when I was still young, i don't remember going on my knees to greet my parents, and if that happens maybe because am apologizing  for sometimes i did or begging them to give me what I needed.

But majority of the time I don’t always greet my parents in the morning, i just wake up, do my thing and leave the house

Greet them after eating, for wetin undecided
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Arnold1(m): 5:44am On Mar 05, 2008
bawomolo:

whatup ma nigga

haha, crazy pickin grin
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by bigfather(m): 6:29am On Mar 05, 2008
In the yoruba way naa ! grin
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 05, 2008
to my mama, i say good morning ma.

to my papa i say whatsup. the guy is gangsta
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by jkpretty(f): 10:57am On Mar 05, 2008
To my mum always always hugs or 'mummy good morning'

But my Dad loves courtesy sooo Not only will ur mouth utter 'good morning' ur legs must prove it too. The knees will definitely go bending. grin I think i like the fact that i got used to that tho 'cos it has really helped me. tongue
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by iice(f): 12:10pm On Mar 05, 2008
Kiss on the cheek and 'hey ma/pa'
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by amsky(m): 1:36pm On Mar 05, 2008
When i was younger it was '' momy goodmorning or daddy goodmorning''. For my son he says ''hey mommy''. What is that Is that how to greet somebody? He tells his dad hey daddy and that one telle him to give him a hi 5 embarassed

Things have really changed sha. In my days you dare not try that. Don't even fathom it,cos all your teeth will fly out of your mouth before you know it. grin.

bawomolo:

whatup ma nigga

In my house na trouble you dey find. From that day henceforth, your school fees will no longer be paid. Infact,just pack your bags before you say it so that once you finish you find your ''levels''. smiley
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by ifyalways(f): 8:38pm On Mar 05, 2008
@topic, mum :good day mom
dadsadhis first name) good day kiss
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by TOYOSI20(f): 9:28pm On Mar 05, 2008
his_grace:

whats your business about how people greet their parents?

Lol
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Dreloaded(f): 9:32pm On Mar 05, 2008
amsky, you should have him change his "hey" to Good morning or whichever.

relatives wont stand for that "hey" nonsense and they will look at YOU for not teaching him/her or maybe it's just a yoruba thing.
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Busta(f): 9:43pm On Mar 05, 2008
don't have to go down on my kneels but I usually address them in the morning as:
-Morning dad, morning mum

chikena!

I can say watsup to ma mum but not my dad, he'll beat the living daylight outta my body. even as old as i am. My dad ain't no soft meat oh.
even sometimes when me and him are both chatting on YIM or MSN, i can't use slangs or shortforms and God help me if i spell something wrong. . . i can literally feel the tension from my end of the chat.
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2008
@ my mom i say: Eka ra ma. . . i speak yoruba to my mom grin grin
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Bawss1(m): 7:34am On Mar 06, 2008
Morning greetings; we just make the peace sign with our fingers
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 06, 2008
Bawss1:

Morning greetings; we just make the peace sign with our fingers
lol. . . . . . like the 80's. . do you also say "waz up, dudes?". . grin grin cheesy
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by 4Him(m): 10:36pm On Mar 06, 2008
morenike09:

@ my mom i say: Eka ra ma. . . i speak yoruba to my mom grin grin

What language is that?
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 06, 2008
4Him:

What language is that?

sorry. mistake. i meant EKA RO MA. . . . tongue
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Sexyabby(f): 5:46am On Mar 08, 2008
In the morning, mom-hey mommy, dad- gud mornin' daddy and if they are not mad at u 4 sumthin' u did then they give u a hug wit it
When i'm coming from somewhere its hey mommy, wats gud and hi daddy
my brother usually says gud mornin' in yoruba to my mom and dad when he's trying to be stupid cuz he can't say a sentence in yoruba to save his life,lol.
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by aloib(f): 5:57am On Mar 08, 2008
lol, no greetings,
most times i say watsup to both of them on the phone, dont use sir/ma either, da heck!!
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by TheSly: 6:14am On Mar 08, 2008
what does it do pa!
And there u have it for my poppa. . . cool
what does it do ma!
And there u have it for my momma. . . cool
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Scarlett(f): 3:45pm On Mar 08, 2008
Good Morning Papi, he usually wants us doing it in Yoruba.lol,
To my mum, Guten Morgen!Wie geht's? sometimes just for fun.lol
i greet her in Yoruba. sometimes, a hug and kiss on the cheek, Morning mami!

smiley smiley smiley
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by iice(f): 3:51pm On Mar 09, 2008
aloib:

lol, no greetings,
most times i say watsup to both of them on the phone, don't use sir/ma either, da heck!!

As usual tongue
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by tosinadeda: 4:58pm On Mar 09, 2008
daddy good morning
mummy good morning
simple
no sir/ ma and all those shit
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:48am On Mar 10, 2008
good morning Mum and good morning dad.

but now, whenever they call me, i greet hi dad, or hi mum.
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by yinkuso08: 8:43pm On Apr 29, 2008
First time seeing them in the morning.

Both my knees on the floor in my yoruba dialect. Still do it till this day, even to my in-laws, I heard from a source that they were surprised (in a good way) the first time I greeted them like that. Even their daughter doesn't.

My older son is now 3.5yrs old, he greets us the same way by postrating and then we hug him and rub his head like lil monkey afterwards ( i remember my dad used to do that to my siblings and I too)
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 29, 2008
daddy thank u,mummy thank u dats after eating

then greeting
is ibola chi or good afternoon
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by PurestBoy(m): 6:44pm On Jul 11, 2009
4Him:

What language is that?

Ebira
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by mamagee3(f): 11:15pm On Jul 11, 2009
Good Morning
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by bluespice(f): 2:20am On Jul 12, 2009
gu' morn mom/dad

why the hell do u greet after eating? undecided
what do u say?
Re: How Do You Normally Greet Your Parent? by chiogo(f): 2:35am On Jul 12, 2009
bluespice:

gu' morn mom/dad

why the hell do u greet after eating? undecided
what do u say?

Thank you, mom/Dad. LOL

@topic, Good morning mom/Dad depending on the time of day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Investments For Students, Corper, Teachers,workers And Stay At Home Mums / Nairalanders Wish Your Mum A Happy Mother's Day / Check Out Amazing Triplets Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.