Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,054 members, 7,835,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity (20279 Views)

BON: TV, Radio Stations To Shut Down Over Skyrocketing Fuel Prices / DefendLagos: Youths Plan Counter-Protest At Lekki Tollgate / PDP, Others Plan Nationwide Protest Against IGP Jan 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Acidosis(m): 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2022
Prometheus666:
Nigerians are ungrateful people. Upon all the Subsidy that government is spending to keep the price of petroleum products low, you people are still complaining.

Do you know how much fuel is sold in Europe and Americas. You should be grateful. When Tinubu becomes President, he will legalize drug business and print money and we will all enjoy.

grin grin
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Mrgovernor: 11:10pm On Nov 12, 2022
Which youths... The ones following Tinubu or Atiku....
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Emu4life(m): 11:10pm On Nov 12, 2022
grandstar:

Let me make this as simple as possible

Let's suppose in 2016 when they increased the price to N147 and said there was no more subsidy, $1= N147. Now that the official exchange rate is 440, for there to be no subsidy, the price will have to be around N440.

Therefore, the existence or non existence of a subsidy is dependent on two primary variables which are the exchange rate and the international price of crude oil, petrol, diesel at a specific point in time.

Most often, when governments have claimed there are no subsidies, it's when the price of crude oil is very low.

For instance, in 2012 when GEJ government deregulated the price of petrol and not just end the petrol subsidy, the price hit N147 per liter. At this time, oil was trading at over $100/barrel. Due to the nationwide protests, the price was reduced to N97. The exchange rate at this time was around $1- N155

However by 2015, the international price of crude oil had dropped to $35/barrel, and exchange rate was around 200. The government dropped the price from N97 to N87. At 87, no subsidy existed.

Deep educations about this is vital and not just focus on emotions as most people do.

Yes, fuel subsidy does provide benefits but the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages

The biggest disadvantage is that it discourages investment in petroleum refining. The price must be fully deregulated and not just the subsidy ended.

A subsidised price chases investors away from
investing. No foreign bank will lend you $2bn to set up a 100,000 bpd refinery without the price deregulated. Your income is far from guaranteed.

Look at what deregulated pricing did for the telecoms sector. In 2001, GSM licences were issued to MTN, Econet and MTEL. They were free to set their prices. Mtn and Econet both privately owned set their prices at 50/minute.
MTEL which is governed chose to bill at the populist price of N22 per minute.

Mtn and Econet invested massively while MTEL soon vanished from the scene. Globacom came in 2003 and introduced per second billing while Etisalat now 9jamobile came in last

The economy has been transformed due to the huge investments made by these playwrs. From only 400,000 phone lines in 2001,there are now over 100m.

Now, just think what would have happened if the price of petroleum products were deregulated. I'm sure by now Nigeria would be refining nothing less than 1.5m barrel per day. . I won't be surprised if it hits 2m bpd

Dangote refinery alone will employ 8,000 engineers. We have not included other high skilled graduates from other fields. Refining 2m bpd would mean about 32,000 engimeering jobs would be created.

We are yet to discuss the multiplier effects. I'm sure Adenuga, Otedola, Ondo and many others would have built refineries . Nigeria would have become the refining hub of Africa,if not the energy hub

Investments would have also flowed into fertiliser and petrochemicals.

Sir, I understand all these and share your sentiments.
I was once a "Pro subsidy-removal" champion but the question is, what commitment has the Government shown so far?
What is the essence of removing subsidy while the Country still continue to heavily import? This would only mean more money for Politicians to loot while ordinary citizens face the harsh economic reality.

If these Politicians are really serious about subsidy removal, let them use the ineffective tons of loans they have been taking to fix 2 out of our 3 refineries. That way, we know we are paying back the loan having achieved petroleum refining capacity.

There's no way they remove subsidy to later start thinking about fixing refineries, we all know this will never happen cuz of sabotage. This is Nigeria where Politicians loot every single penny they lay hand on while the ordinary citizens are left in excruciating Penury.
Inference is simple; FIX THE REFINERIES, REMOVE SUBSIDY.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by OdefaGirl(f): 11:25pm On Nov 12, 2022
lhordspy:
This time around if zombidients and yiiboo miscreants hide under the disguise of youth just like Endsars protest to cause mayhem, upset, looting, stealing, sabotage and other evil intentions they are known for. Especially in Lagos, which i know is their target due to hate and envy.

I urge the government to deal with them in the brutal way possible. If you need volunteer, please call us. We are ever ready to restore some people brain back to default settings.

Mumu, under whose administration is everyone protesting all the time? You no get sense nah, if you do, you wouldn't let people know that you saw this disappointing and shameful thread. It's your paymasters on the seat and your candidate has vowed to continue from where he stopped..... You are even rejoicing that some people are staging a protest against the hardship everyone is facing in this country
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Lashist(m): 11:31pm On Nov 12, 2022
lhordspy:
This time around if zombidients and yiiboo miscreants hide under the disguise of youth just like Endsars protest to cause mayhem, upset, looting, stealing, sabotage and other evil intentions they are known for. Especially in Lagos, which i know is their target due to hate and envy.

I urge the government to deal with them in the brutal way possible. If you need volunteer, please call us. We are ever ready to restore some people brain back to default settings.
See as you dey carry igbo matter for your small head cheesy jobless frustrated mumu...the hate go soon consume you

1 Like

Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by lhordspy: 11:39pm On Nov 12, 2022
OdefaGirl:

Mumu, under whose administration is everyone protesting all the time? You no get sense nah, if you do, you wouldn't let people know that you saw this disappointing and shameful thread. It's your paymasters on the seat and your candidate has vowed to continue from where he stopped..... You are even rejoicing that some people are staging a protest against the hardship everyone is facing in this country

Why this pain?
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by NessFortunate: 11:50pm On Nov 12, 2022
PlayMaker14:
Same yoots that called GEJ unprintable names when the price was N85?

Same yoots that made a mockery coffin of GEJ when a dollar was N216 under the administration of GEJ?

Same yoots that voted massively for the Kunú guzzling drunkard called Buhari ignoring all warnings?

Na now their eyes don open?

Give them Ewedu now, and you'll see them misbehaving, and throwing their support for the urinating machine called Tinubu.

Una Mumu never do... Am talking about those Yoruba Muslims.... Make una use this same energy to vote Peter Obi.

funny enough, these youths we still vote Tinubu. It is appalling that we allows emotions to take the best of us. Imagine how can someone boldly say "i will continue from where Buhari Stops" that's like threatning my life. #SMH
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Ceejay57: 12:18am On Nov 13, 2022
lhordspy:

young man,these your whole speech is not even understandable, know insult!!
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by jamiusegun(m): 2:27am On Nov 13, 2022
As you said that, thier useless youths let every body continue like that now whether it will not affect you. What useless youths?!!... The same ones campaigning for APC and PDP! Same ones who collect 5k to vote in rogues!
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by labeerson: 4:07am On Nov 13, 2022
PlayMaker14:

Same yoots that made a mockery coffin of GEJ when a dollar was N216 under the administration of GEJ?

Same yoots that voted massively for the Kunú guzzling drunkard called Buhari ignoring all warnings?

Give them Ewedu now, and you'll see them misbehaving, and throwing their support for the urinating machine called Tinubu.

Una Mumu never do... Am talking about those Yoruba Muslims.... Make una use this same energy to vote Peter Obi.
Must you always show your stupidity and ill-mannered on public forum like this? For your information, I am a Yoruba and Muslim and voted PDP and Ebele Jonathan in 2015 but due respect to those that voted APC because that was their opinion. Insulting a whole tribe and religion shows the kind of upbringing you have. Instead of promoting your candidate, you move around abusing and insulting another candidate. You are doing more damages to your candidate than good with this unruly behaviour
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Femi8586(m): 5:01am On Nov 13, 2022
AderonkeOlaniyi:

Amala and ewedu miscreant spotted. 10 Naira per comment gang.

Are these guys really being paid to defend APC government online?
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by imagrg(m): 5:08am On Nov 13, 2022
Okay now.
But it must be peacefool oh! grin
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by PeterObi4LP: 6:15am On Nov 13, 2022
toprealman:

Stop making Peter Obi look like a fool.
Where in this world are they exchanging dollar for 211?

You did not get the gist. I mean no region buys things lesser than other. We all buy things same price.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by PeterObi4LP: 6:17am On Nov 13, 2022
CheapHomes1:

In which region are they selling fuel 110naira?

I was potraying something that no region buys things lesser than others. We all buy fuel same price, so they should vote wisely.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by surgical: 7:34am On Nov 13, 2022
grandstar:
He is uninformed.

If NNPC was to follow best practices in the oil industry, the price of petrol would be sold at a deregulated price, probably hovering around N700.

The primary problem is the petrol subsidy. It's presently too high and Meole Kyari has been crying out, with the president being unresponsive.

At the very least, the government should increase the price to N450 per litrw. This would reduce the level of the subsidy and reduce pressure on the foreign reserves. It might also lead to some much needed appreciation of the Naira.

I suspect the president might want to keep the price the same, lest any increase in price leads to discontent, sending a large swathe of the electorate into the opposition arms
you are an illiterate to be advocating a perpetual increase in price of an important commodity like fuel that will have a multiplier effect on the economy, a commodity we have comparative advantage in.
All supporters of APC are dumb people why can't you guys practice what you preach, you and your government want us to stop importation but you continue to import petrol we can conveniently produce here,importing hardship to Nigeria in the process and wasting scarce foreign exchange
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by OdefaGirl(f): 7:36am On Nov 13, 2022
lhordspy:

Why this pain?

I feel it and express it, probably will change it but you live in denial for peanuts.....
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Invest4growth: 7:38am On Nov 13, 2022
So protest will bring down exchange rate, repair refineries and make those that stashed stolen monies abroad to return them. Protesters will only curry attention, raise security concerns, damage infrastructure among others. We are all witnesses to the recent strike by the Lagos bus drivers. Why was the state government unable to fill the gap. Straight answer, it was because some people in the name of protest destroyed so many buses during endsars. We will suffer it together. A constructive way should be to sit with politicians and agree on roadmap to economic progress against 2023. Agree on smart goals and annual reviews among others. Set key performance indicators and MOUs.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by grandstar(m): 10:02am On Nov 13, 2022
surgical:
you are an illiterate to be advocating a perpetual increase in price of an important commodity like fuel that will have a multiplier effect on the economy, a commodity we have comparative advantage in.
All supporters of APC are dumb people why can't you guys practice what you preach, you and your government want us to stop importation but you continue to import petrol we can conveniently produce here,importing hardship to Nigeria in the process and wasting scarce foreign exchange

I don't understand what you're saying. You don't have the basic understanding of what fuel subsidy means or deregulation of the pump price means.

Peter Obi and Atiku Abukakar are both ending fuel subsidies and deregulating the price. It's even enshrined in the PIB act. It shpuld have been implemented by nkw but timid PMB does not have the stomach for the protests and has it postponed to next year June 2023. He has placed the task on the incoming government.

Then again, any price increase now will mean easy votea for the opposition.

https://www.thecable.ng/peter-obi-we-must-move-nigeria-beyond-oil-end-petrol-subsidy/amp

https://businessday.ng/politics/article/atiku-will-remove-petrol-subsidy-channel-it-to-transportation-education-pdp/
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 10:38am On Nov 13, 2022
Femi8586:

Are these guys really being paid to defend APC government online?

They are paid peanuts. They are very foolish and senseless.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by shotuns: 10:52am On Nov 13, 2022
The Fake Buhari himself should resign
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by sematec(m): 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2022
the protests should have better been directed to Buhari, hes the minister of petroleum
the protests is double-faced. is it a yoruba protests or Nigerians
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by nkemjacob2(m): 1:12pm On Nov 13, 2022
Next year vote rubbish. Shey the one that said it his turn is knocking round the corner. Make the same mistake una go suffer am.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by akbonus: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2022
lhordspy:

LAZY YORUBA YOUTHS,YOU CAN'T DEFEND YOUR LAND AGAINST FULANI INVADERS KILLING AND RAPING YOUR SISTERS AND MOTHERS,YOU WANT TO HELP GOVERNMENT TO FIGHT YOUTHS WHO ARE PLANNING A PROTEST FOR HIKE IN PETROLEUM PRICES,A MOVE INITIATED BY YOUR YORUBA DEMONS?WE ARE WATCHING,IF YOU THINK YOU WILL SEE AN IBO MAN COMING OUT WITH YORUBA YOUTHS?NEVER.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by akbonus: 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2022
TimeTraveller:
Lowkey, they are lawless Obidients who want to make the country ungovernable to score cheap political points.
They did it with EndSars.
As long as the protests take place in the East on Monday, there is no problem.
No bastarrrd should disrupt Lagos's peace in the name of protests.

That Nnamdi Kanu template can NEVER work again.

NEVER AGAIN!

YOU ARE A FOOL,THE TITTLE SAYS YORUBA DEMONS,NOT IBOS OR HAUSA.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Atonto: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2022
grandstar:
He is uninformed.

If NNPC was to follow best practices in the oil industry, the price of petrol would be sold at a deregulated price, probably hovering around N700.

The primary problem is the petrol subsidy. It's presently too high and Meole Kyari has been crying out, with the president being unresponsive.

At the very least, the government should increase the price to N450 per litrw. This would reduce the level of the subsidy and reduce pressure on the foreign reserves. It might also lead to some much needed appreciation of the Naira.

I suspect the president might want to keep the price the same, lest any increase in price leads to discontent, sending a large swathe of the electorate into the opposition arms

This is apt and straight to the point.
The only comment devoid of political and ethnic sentiment i've read so far. Is either some people don't read or they don't understand the global political climate at this period. The price of Fuel cannot go down, in as much we are not the one refining it. Increase in price is a global disaster exasperated by the Ukraine and Russia war. The issue of Subsidy is another colossal mistake of Nigeria and her entitlement generation. For us to really know where we stand, subsidy must go and accountability must prevail. This is no Govt doing, it is just the latest pandemic around and no country is immune to it. We just need to be factual and look for a way forward. Government at this election period will not make mistake of removing subsidy. But we should be ready to support whoever win the 2023 election on subsidy removal. that's just the way to go.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by grandstar(m): 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2022
Atonto:

This is apt and straight to the point.
The only comment devoid of political and ethnic sentiment i've read so far. Is either some people don't read or they don't understand the global political climate at this period. The price of Fuel cannot go down, in as much we are not the one refining it. Increase in price is a global disaster exasperated by the Ukraine and Russia war. The issue of Subsidy is another colossal mistake of Nigeria and her entitlement generation. For us to really know where we stand, subsidy must go and accountability must prevail. This is no Govt doing, it is just the latest pandemic around and no country is immune to it. We just need to be factual and look for a way forward. Government at this election period will not make mistake of removing subsidy. But we should be ready to support whoever win the 2023 election on subsidy removal. that's just the way to go.

Many thanks for your response. It too was very objective.

What most Nigerians fail to realise is that the subsidy is keeping them impoverished. They fail to realise that it strains the Naira causing it to lose value.

It also creates a massive hole in the budget forcing the government to borrow, crowding out private borrowers. It might be worse now with government borrowing directly from the CBN. This fuels inflation.

Worse,it discourages investment into refining. This is the biggest disservice that the subsidy does to the economy

Had the fuel price been deregulated at far back as 1999, by now, the country should be refining about 2m bpd of crude oil. Dango the refinery alone would employ nothing less than 8,000 engineers. That's excluding other highly skilled staff from other professions. With 2mbpd, that would be at least 30,000 engineers.

The GSM operators were allowed to fix their price and this led to massive investment in the industry which had a transformative effect on the economy. It was a sector that played a prominent role in the re-basing of Nigeria's GDP to $500bn in 2013.

The benefits of deregulated pricing of petrol will far outstrip that of the GSM mobile in the Nigerian economy.

1 Like

Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by John4B: 11:46pm On Nov 13, 2022
PlayMaker14:

U dey mind the idiots, I thought there's a particular place where they buy things cheaper, I thought they are not affected by the hardship that had engulfed the country? These people suffer most but allow tribe and religion to becloud their sense of reasoning.
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by KennethEnyi(m): 1:13am On Nov 15, 2022
Useless country
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Tundex911: 2:06am On Nov 15, 2022
Ode youth

Acting as if bubu get their time
Re: Youths Plan Nationwide Protest Over Rising Fuel Prices, Scarcity by Atonto: 6:56pm On Nov 17, 2022
grandstar:

Many thanks for your response. It too was very objective.

What most Nigerians fail to realise is that the subsidy is keeping them impoverished. They fail to realise that it strains the Naira causing it to lose value.

It also creates a massive hole in the budget forcing the government to borrow, crowding out private borrowers. It might be worse now with government borrowing directly from the CBN. This fuels inflation.

Worse,it discourages investment into refining. This is the biggest disservice that the subsidy does to the economy

Had the fuel price been deregulated at far back as 1999, by now, the country should be refining about 2m bpd of crude oil. Dango the refinery alone would employ nothing less than 8,000 engineers. That's excluding other highly skilled staff from other professions. With 2mbpd, that would be at least 30,000 engineers.

The GSM operators were allowed to fix their price and this led to massive investment in the industry which had a transformative effect on the economy. It was a sector that played a prominent role in the re-basing of Nigeria's GDP to $500bn in 2013.

The benefits of deregulated pricing of petrol will far outstrip that of the GSM mobile in the Nigerian economy.

We are subsidizing fuel for almost all the west Africa nations, through the illegality of Round tripping. At the end of the day, we end up sending our foreign reserves into the pocket of few corrupt and powerful individuals.
In as much as the price of fuel is not market driven, no investor will invest in that sector, even our refinery will not work.

As a people, we need to understand this and support the removal of subsidy even though it will create a temporary hardship, but the nation will spring forth from this and the Govt will not have any excuse to give on how our money is being spent.

We need to reject this entitlement mentality, that the Corrupt few are using to set us on collusion cause, with the Govt, anytime we hear of subsidy removal. Even, some so called Labor union leaders are not exempted in these sharp practices. Reason why they are always quick to incite and mobilize people against any form of subsidy removal as if they are helping us.

The goal should be for us to return to a Producer nation and not a consumer nation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Speaks At The Opening Ceremony Of China-nigeria Business Forum / 2019 Presidential Election Result May Take 5 Days To Announce – Punch / Why Is Emi L’okan Afraid Of Awa L’okan In Lagos? - Suyi Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.