Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,658 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War (607 Views)

Cameroonian Man Joins The Ukraine Army (Photos) / Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War / Russia - Ukraine War In Pictures, From The Frontlines (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by petesunday: 12:08am On Nov 13, 2022
My Honest Analysis of the Ukraine War

It is clear that Russia committed huge strategic errors at the beginning of the campaign which stems from the original objectives of the military operation. They went into Ukraine with the intention of surrounding Kiev, pressurizing the Ukrainian govt and rousing their people against them, which will then lead to them offering a deal much like what they did in Georgia in 2008.

What they didn't figure out was the level of resilience of the Ukrainian govt due to staunch western support in addition to over 8 years of Russian demonization being preached to the Ukrainian population. Whilst Russia was thinking in terms of a military operation it could quickly end, the western media went into a frenzy on a massive Russian invasion, mass rapes, heavy civilian casualty and planned occupation of Ukraine, all of which were just made up.

Russia woke up to realize they were trapped. They could still take Ukraine if they wanted but at a huge human and resource cost that would inflict huge toll on their economy which is much smaller than Europe's and would force them to be totally dependent on China for survival.
No matter how much we explain it, the withdrawals from Kharkiv and Kherson indicate that things are not going well for Russia at the war front. However, these withdrawals also signal something that should be cause the west more discomfort; Russia has finally realized it's mistakes; it was approaching the war from a tactical perspective as a small piece in a global move against the west whereas the west sees the war as a strategic event, on which the future of world depend.

With the realization that they had been prosecuting the war wrongly, Russia begin to make some changes. First, they legalize the operation for their local population through annexation, setting the stage for a full war mobilization, western style at a future time. Second, they initiated mobilization, much like what US did for Vietnam.

Let's be clear, Russia cannot mount any major offensive in Ukraine at least for the next two months. The Russian military has already acknowledged this.

However, one big hole in the western perfect war plan was the resilience of the Russian economy to sanctions and isolation. Instead of a depleted Russia, we are having an increasingly isolated west and a polarised world. Russia began to win the economic war around the same time it began losing the military one. This gives a lot of hope to the Russian leadership and huge worries for the western authorities because with an intact economy and a strong alliance, Russia can prosecute war till infinity.

Another thing that is giving the west a headache is the fact that Russia's losses has not weakened the support of its allies but is in fact increasing support for Russia in the global south. We have seen the US lose the support of long time partners like Saudi, Turkey and UAE on critical issues whilst Russian allies like Iran, North Korea and China have increased support. The western economies are also not faring well.

Here is my take on conflict resolution:
First, Let's forget about the ideological approach to the conflict because it will always lead to a dead end. The war can either go on for like ever with millions of Ukrainian casualties and a failed Ukrainian state. Worse still, it can quickly escalate into a global or continental war with far reaching consequences for all. There is a third option; resolution.

To resolve this conflict, all parties must be ready to make concessions and this must start with a change in the media narrative on the war which currently relies on absolute perspectives. There should also be satisfactory negotiations on the status of Crimea and Donbas. I believe all other seized territories should go to Ukraine. There should also be agreements on a neutral Ukraine to serve as a buffer. I understand that this kind of settlement for the west means they lost a huge opportunity to weaken Russia but they need to consider that there are much more dangerous possible outcomes right now. The economic war between the East and the West can continue but for God's sake let's end this conflict, it's already affecting everyone in the world.

3 Likes

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by lhordspy: 1:15am On Nov 13, 2022
I quite agree with you to some extent.

Firstly, i think the time for negotiation has passed. Negotiations as an option to end the war is off the table forever. It is now a matter of Ego. Any side that shows willingness to negotiate will now be seen as weak. Especially if it is the Russian side, the western-controlled media will make mockery of their openness and run the news 247 in 7 days a week just to spite and degrade the military might and power of the Russians in the face of the world.

Ofcourse, the military aide heading towards Ukraine are slowing down this days. The west are getting bored, but we have an adamant United state still rallying the other western countries, bullying them into sending more military aide to Ukraine. United state are taking this more personal, this is the closest they have gotten to hurting russia both economically and militarily and they want to maximise the pain they are having the opportunity to inflict on the Russian side indirectly. Not even in Syria are they this close and lucky. Now they can do all that without having to engage them direct. Afterall they have succeeded with the first step in painting the Russians bad. Turning the world and media against them. All they had to do is just keep funding the war, and pushing, blackmailing the UN and other allies into adding more economical crippling sanctions against Russian. Afterall the public sympathy is already in the bag for them.

What the United state dont know(or maybe they know but choose to undermine it) is that the Russians are now getting frustrated. When the Russians are frustrated we know the extent they can go especially if it is just an option of either saving face(accept defeat) or having to go all in that is left. The russians we know will always go with the latter.

Thier tactics these days isnt failing like you stated, i think the russians are bored and tired with the soft way the war is going. Infact, i must commend them for playing safe all this while trying to still look good to the media. The United state are very clever, they first use the media against you, to demoralise you, paint you black to the extent that you will be fighting against two opponent, the enemies and the media.

The russians are trying to avoid media criticisin but also looking to push the Ukrainian into making a mistake so they could use that as an excuse to turn the war into a brutal dirty one where all things go... Anything goes kinda war.

I think they allowed the United state blow up the Nord stream. They allowed it, to cripple Germany since they cant stand for themselves except acting like the US puppet. Since the Stream was blown off. Have you heard about germany? They are struggling for life themselves instead of sending military aide to ukraine.

I also think they allow Ukrainian army blow up the crimea bridge. They wanted using that as means to annihilate Ukraine once and for all and turn the whole thing rough. Reason why when the missile started flying in on Ukraine, the US knew what was coming, they had to quickly intervene by using the UN, the Media and all they got in criticising the Russia moves. Russia had to back down when the criticism was too much. So many failed card the Russians have played, just to turn the war dirty, like the accusing of Ukranian trying to use biological weapons against its men, to the ukranian hitting Russian ship in the sea which stopped them in participating in the grain transport agreement.

I also think the removing and withdrawal of troops from Kherson is their last card. If Ukranian army moves into kherson and occupy the 40% of the region. Zelensky has been happy and running his mouth since the supposedly city re-capturing which he doesnt know is a trap
He may be tempted to use the new Launcher giving to them by US, he may be tempted to use it to strike Crimea, as they are now within crimea reach for strike launching. That will be their wrongdoing if it work out that way. Just want i think the Russians want. The Russians will use the excuse of killing their civilians in crimea to turn the whole war upside. By then they will have solid excuse to start a new phase and dimension of the war. The brutal one. The russian preffered type of war.

The downside unfortunately is things may escalate very fast, Northkorea and Iran are now growing some balls against the US and its allies. India is ever ready to pick the Russian side. While the only weak link is China. I am of the opinion they are too soft. Reason why United state is using small taiwan to torment them. I know they fear for their economical association with the US and its allies but they ought know the US will always have something as leverage against countries to keep them down and bully them as they deem fit. They are that mischievous....

If US keep pushing Ukrainian thinking they are reducing the strenght of the Russians. They may eventually get the Russian frustrated and a frustrated russia dont mind starting a 3rd world war with flying Nuclear weapons, than surrender and bow to defeat. Any which way it is, i dont think the war will stay too long. I just fear of its outcome. But one thing i know is that Either Russia or United state will get hurt at the end.

5 Likes

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by Greyworld: 2:27am On Nov 13, 2022
@ihordspy your sound a bit pro Russian and anti American.
Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 13, 2022
I also fear that we may be past the time for negotiations but I believe Russia is willing to accept any peace deal that will allow them to keep Crimea and at worst allow some temporary neutrality in Donbas. Ukraine and the west are becoming reckless in the war having been very lucky so far whilst Russia is increasingly cautious, the reverse was the case at the beginning. They are careful to not flip the support of their most important ally, especially China, which has no appetite for war. So far it is working for them. There is more support from the global south. Germany has been effectively taken out of the war through economic strangulation and public opinion against the US is rising there. This may be another future win for Russia.

The biggest danger is the continued vilification and undermining of Russia by the media which may set the stage for overconfidence and make the western population to believe Russia will lose, making them reject negotiation. Russia will never lose, as long as its economy is intact, but may be forced to do something dangerous at some point if there is a stupid move from the west such as massive bombardments in Russia or an invasion of Crimea.

The biggest revelation in all this is Iran. We now know that country has been underestimated all along.

lhordspy:

Firstly, i think the time for negotiation has passed. Negotiations as an option to end the war is off the table forever. It is now a matter of Ego. Any side that shows willingness to negotiate will now be seen as weak. Especially if it is the Russian side, the western-controlled media will make mockery of their openness and run the news 247 in 7 days a week just to spite and degrade the military might and power of the Russians in the face of the world.

Ofcourse, the military aide heading towards Ukraine are slowing down this days. The west are getting bored, but we have an adamant United state still rallying the other western countries, bullying them into sending more military aide to Ukraine. United state are taking this more personal, this is the closest they have gotten to hurting russia both economically and militarily and they want to maximise the pain they are having the opportunity to inflict on the Russian side indirectly. Not even in Syria are they this close and lucky. Now they can do all that without having to engage them direct. Afterall they have succeeded with the first step in painting the Russians bad. Turning the world and media against them. All they had to do is just keep funding the war, and pushing, blackmailing the UN and other allies into adding more economical crippling sanctions against Russian. Afterall the public sympathy is already in the bag for them.

What the United state dont know(or maybe they know but choose to undermine it) is that the Russians are now getting frustrated. When the Russians are frustrated we know the extent they can go especially if it is just an option of either saving face(accept defeat) or having to go all in that is left. The russians we know will always go with the latter.

Thier tactics these days isnt failing like you stated, i think the russians are bored and tired with the soft way the war is going. Infact, i must commend them for playing safe all this while trying to still look good to the media. The United state are very clever, they first use the media against you, to demoralise you, paint you black to the extent that you will be fighting against two opponent, the enemies and the media.

The russians are trying to avoid media criticisin but also looking to push the Ukrainian into making a mistake so they could use that as an excuse to turn the war into a brutal dirty one where all things go... Anything goes kinda war.

I think they allowed the United state blow up the Nord stream. They allowed it, to cripple Germany since they cant stand for themselves except acting like the US puppet. Since the Stream was blown off. Have you heard about germany? They are struggling for life themselves instead of sending military aide to ukraine.

I also think they allow Ukrainian army blow up the crimea bridge. They wanted using that as means to annihilate Ukraine once and for all and turn the whole thing rough. Reason why when the missile started flying in on Ukraine, the US knew what was coming, they had to quickly intervene by using the UN, the Media and all they got in criticising the Russia moves. Russia had to back down when the criticism was too much. So many failed card the Russians have played, just to turn the war dirty, like the accusing of Ukranian trying to use biological weapons against its men, to the ukranian hitting Russian ship in the sea which stopped them in participating in the grain transport agreement.

I also think the removing and withdrawal of troops from Kherson is their last card. If Ukranian army moves into kherson and occupy the 40% of the region. Zelensky has been happy and running his mouth since the supposedly city re-capturing which he doesnt know is a trap
He may be tempted to use the new Launcher giving to them by US, he may be tempted to use it to strike Crimea, as they are now within crimea reach for strike launching. That will be their wrongdoing if it work out that way. Just want i think the Russians want. The Russians will use the excuse of killing their civilians in crimea to turn the whole war upside. By then they will have solid excuse to start a new phase and dimension of the war. The brutal one. The russian preffered type of war.

The downside unfortunately is things may escalate very fast, Northkorea and Iran are now growing some balls against the US and its allies. India is ever ready to pick the Russian side. While the only weak link is China. I am of the opinion they are too soft. Reason why United state is using small taiwan to torment them. I know they fear for their economical association with the US and its allies but they ought know the US will always have something as leverage against countries to keep them down and bully them as they deem fit. They are that mischievous....

If US keep pushing Ukrainian thinking they are reducing the strenght of the Russians. They may eventually get the Russian frustrated and a frustrated russia dont mind starting a 3rd world war with flying Nuclear weapons, than surrender and bow to defeat. Any which way it is, i dont think the war will stay too long. I just fear of its outcome. But one thing i know is that Either Russia or United state will get hurt at the end.

1 Like

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by joyandfaith: 7:25am On Nov 13, 2022
Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by olugabbie(m): 8:04am On Nov 13, 2022
lhordspy:

I totally agree with you. But I strongly believe that Russia won't use nuclear weapon in Ukraine, no matter what Ukraine does.

Russia will only use nuclear weapon, if the West deploy it troops to Ukraine.

2 Likes

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by olugabbie(m): 8:23am On Nov 13, 2022
petesunday:
My Honest Analysis of the Ukraine War

It is clear that Russia committed huge strategic errors at the beginning of the campaign which stems from the original objectives of the military operation. They went into Ukraine with the intention of surrounding Kiev, pressurizing the Ukrainian govt and rousing their people against them, which will then lead to them offering a deal much like what they did in Georgia in 2008.

What they didn't figure out was the level of resilience of the Ukrainian govt due to staunch western support in addition to over 8 years of Russian demonization being preached to the Ukrainian population. Whilst Russia was thinking in terms of a military operation it could quickly end, the western media went into a frenzy on a massive Russian invasion, mass rapes, heavy civilian casualty and planned occupation of Ukraine, all of which were just made up.

Russia woke up to realize they were trapped. They could still take Ukraine if they wanted but at a huge human and resource cost that would inflict huge toll on their economy which is much smaller than Europe's and would force them to be totally dependent on China for survival.
No matter how much we explain it, the withdrawals from Kharkiv and Kherson indicate that things are not going well for Russia at the war front. However, these withdrawals also signal something that should be cause the west more discomfort; Russia has finally realized it's mistakes; it was approaching the war from a tactical perspective as a small piece in a global move against the west whereas the west sees the war as a strategic event, on which the future of world depend.

With the realization that they had been prosecuting the war wrongly, Russia begin to make some changes. First, they legalize the operation for their local population through annexation, setting the stage for a full war mobilization, western style at a future time. Second, they initiated mobilization, much like what US did for Vietnam.

Let's be clear, Russia cannot mount any major offensive in Ukraine at least for the next two months. The Russian military has already acknowledged this.

However, one big hole in the western perfect war plan was the resilience of the Russian economy to sanctions and isolation. Instead of a depleted Russia, we are having an increasingly isolated west and a polarised world. Russia began to win the economic war around the same time it began losing the military one. This gives a lot of hope to the Russian leadership and huge worries for the western authorities because with an intact economy and a strong alliance, Russia can prosecute war till infinity.

Another thing that is giving the west a headache is the fact that Russia's losses has not weakened the support of its allies but is in fact increasing support for Russia in the global south. We have seen the US lose the support of long time partners like Saudi, Turkey and UAE on critical issues whilst Russian allies like Iran, North Korea and China have increased support. The western economies are also not faring well.

Here is my take on conflict resolution:
First, Let's forget about the ideological approach to the conflict because it will always lead to a dead end. The war can either go on for like ever with millions of Ukrainian casualties and a failed Ukrainian state. Worse still, it can quickly escalate into a global or continental war with far reaching consequences for all. There is a third option; resolution.

To resolve this conflict, all parties must be ready to make concessions and this must start with a change in the media narrative on the war which currently relies on absolute perspectives. There should also be satisfactory negotiations on the status of Crimea and Donbas. I believe all other seized territories should go to Ukraine. There should also be agreements on a neutral Ukraine to serve as a buffer. I understand that this kind of settlement for the west means they lost a huge opportunity to weaken Russia but they need to consider that there are much more dangerous possible outcomes right now. The economic war between the East and the West can continue but for God's sake let's end this conflict, it's already affecting everyone in the world.

Perfect analysis!

Most people still don't believe that Russia didn't intend to take Kiev. From military angle, 30k troops can not seize KIEV. It is just impossible. In fact it was shocking they made it to the gate of Kiev. Even when got to the gate, they chose not to bombard the city. Thereby exposing the troops to hit-and-run attacks by the Ukrainians. Which led to a lots of casualties on Russia side.

The Russian troops got stuck on the outskirt of the capital. They could not advance because they don't have the number (they were not sent to invade Kiev). They also couldn't bombard the city, because such order was not given. These were the most elite Russian troops. They were misused.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by olugabbie(m): 8:38am On Nov 13, 2022
atmy1:
I also fear that we may be past the time for negotiations but I believe Russia is willing to accept any peace deal that will allow them to keep Crimea and at worst allow some temporary neutrality in Donbas. Ukraine and the west are becoming reckless in the war having been very lucky so far whilst Russia is increasingly cautious, the reverse was the case at the beginning. They are careful to not flip the support of their most important ally, especially China, which has no appetite for war. So far it is working for them. There is more support from the global south. Germany has been effectively taken out of the war through economic strangulation and public opinion against the US is rising there. This may be another future win for Russia.

The biggest danger is the continued vilification and undermining of Russia by the media which may set the stage for overconfidence and make the western population to believe Russia will lose, making them reject negotiation. Russia will never lose, as long as its economy is intact, but may be forced to do something dangerous at some point if there is a stupid move from the west such as massive bombardments in Russia or an invasion of Crimea.

The biggest revelation in all this is Iran. We now know that country has been underestimated all along.

I think Putin is now trapped. The Russian elites (Kadyrov, the owner of Wagner e.t.c) & Russian citizens (especially those that support the war) won't be happy if Russia fail to occupy the new territories (Kherson, Zaprophizia & Donbas, even part of Kharkiv).

Imagine someone like Kadyrov who has heavily invested in this war. He has sent thousands of Chechens to Ukraine and he is ready to send more. Kadyrov is not going to accept defeat. If the war continue to go bad for Russia, I fear for Putin.

3 Likes

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by lhordspy: 11:43am On Nov 13, 2022
Greyworld:

No i am not. I just crave for a world free of double-standard and hypocrisy. I mean the United state has invaded over 24+ countries in history. Yet they are the one playing the role of a good-old man in all these. That is hypocrisy.
Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by lhordspy: 12:04pm On Nov 13, 2022
olugabbie:

Perfect analysis!

Most people still don't believe that Russia didn't intend to take Kiev. From military angle, 30k troops can not seize KIEV. It is just impossible. In fact it was shocking they made it to the gate of Kiev. Even when got to the gate, they chose not to bombard the city. Thereby exposing the troops to hit-and-run attacks by the Ukrainians. Which led to a lots of casualties on Russia side.

The Russian troops got stuck on the outskirt of the capital. They could not advance because they don't have the number (they were not sent to invade Kiev). They also couldn't bombard the city, because such order was not given. These were the most elite Russian troops. They were misused.

I quite disagree with your conclusion. They werent misuse. The casualty at the beginning of the war was from an innocent-miscalculation from whoever was in charge of the war at first, the commanders who advised Putin.
They went into Ukraine with few men, not to even fight war but as simply a show of force. The Americans got the intelligence of the weak advances. They pushed the Ukrainian to fight back with the sole aim of degrading and underrating the russians military might in the face of the world. The americans played the card well, ofcourse they knew Russians werent there to engage in war but show of force. But they used the russians innocent miscalculation into their own advantage.

The US achieved Four-things by pushing Ukrainian to fight back.
One - The casualty suffered by the Russians when the Ukranian took them by surprise by fighting back, really gave the US allies the confidence to pump.more money and military aide into Ukraine... They see it as an opportunity to end there enemy easily, with US deceiving them making them believe the Russians are that weak.

Secondly - It gave the Ukranian a confidence boost, they thought 'waow so it is that easy' . it gave them the boldness to continue pushing more.

Thirdly: - The United state mischievously made sure all the world media attention was on the war as at that moment. It portrays the Russian military might as weak. If you remember throughout the first month of the war which the Russians lost alot of men. The media was all over their misfortune and failure full time.

Fourthly: - The united state pushed the ukranian to attack the weak Russia advances as at that time because they want to cunningly use the failure of Russia to send messages to Russian allies like china, Northkorea, Iran and others. China was deceived and they turned into a cry-cry baby and weakling that couldnt even act on taiwan rather than make empty threats.

The United state mischievouly played the Ukraine and the world into thinking Russia was a weak side. The media took the opportunity too and clamped down really bad on russia failures as at the time.They played it really well, because it took months before Russia really got back into the war.

The first miscalculation really affected them (The Russians) alot... And they are still suffering from it till now. The war could have been over if their intention at the beginning was to go all out for war with Ukraine. I mean, cant you see the outdated tanks they rolled into ukraine at the beginning of the war. The tanks where blown to pieces easily by the ukrainians and the west and its media maximize the opportunity to the last by m*sturbating on the failure full time.

Putin will never forgive those military generals that gave him that advice of show of force strategy, expecting the Ukranian to just give up. It really hurt Russians.

2 Likes

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by lhordspy: 12:14pm On Nov 13, 2022
olugabbie:

I totally agree with you. But I strongly believe that Russia won't use nuclear weapon in Ukraine, no matter what Ukraine does.

Russia will only use nuclear weapon, if the West deploy it troops to Ukraine.

I dont think so. Russians was tricked into the war by the US. Now they either finish it or accept defeat. Which will be very bad to their reputation. If it comes a time Russia hands are tied, and they are pushed to the war. They will start with biological weapons just like in syria. This will push the United state to want to threaten Russia and things may escalate from there.

But the Russia i know will rather nuke Ukraine including Un!ted State than be defeated in this war.
Very unfortunate for the world that one of those may happen at the end. But i dont think the Russians will accept defeat. Infact Negotiating with ukraine at this moment is defeat to Russia. Russia will escalate this one day in one way or the other. I know their tactics and strategies these days is tilting towards escalating it. The Russians are tired of the slow- war the uNited state is blackmailing them into fighting.Even US escalated things in the first week of war in Iraq and Libya.

This war really show us those who has the balls and the mere pretender. Iran and North-korea has proven a great ally and a dependable friends of Russia. But you see China. I hate their cowardness.

2 Likes

Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by SaiOba: 8:53am On Nov 14, 2022
He is bro, just because of the drug deal case the Americas had on his principal. He's so biased minded.
Greyworld:
Re: My Honest Analysis Of The Ukraine War by Karnice600: 4:36pm On Nov 14, 2022
Greyworld:

The guy hates two things in his entire life.
1. The West
2. Sound reasoning.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Takes In China Taiwan Crisis / Kenya Reinstates Fuel Subsidy After Months Of Violent Protests / Israeli Helicopter Killed At Party Festival, Not Hamas - Israeli Report (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.