Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles (232 Views)

Bola Ahmed Tinubu: From Drug Lord To Presidential Candidate By David Hundeyin / Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out / Tinubu Congratulates Atiku, Welcomes Former VP To Presidential Contest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by Shehuyinka: 5:39pm On Nov 16, 2022
ONE Hundred days to the 2023 presidential election, scheduled for February 25, 2023, the leading candidates are battling hurdles which may affect their chances of becoming Nigeria's next President, The ICIR reports.

Going by projections, the leading candidates are Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP).

The APC is the ruling party and its candidate, Tinubu, will be counting on the 'incumbency factor' in his quest to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari. The PDP is the major opposition party and still retains a large and vibrant support base across the country, having been in power for 16 years - from 1999 to 2015. The LP, hitherto one of the numerous political parties on the fringes, has been galvanised  by the 'Obedient' movement centred around its flagbearer and to a large extent, is now seen as the 'Third Force'.

Checks by The ICIR indicate that these three leading candidates are contending with hurdles, which may damage their chances, as the election draws nearer.

Spirited opposition from the G5 governors is a major threat that can truncate Atiku's latest quest for the Presidency. A ghost from the past, in the form of drug trafficking allegations, and a tendency for gaffes, threaten Tinubu's ambition. An unexpected, damaging attack, launched by Anambra State governor Charles Soludo, could dissipate gains made by Obi.

Atiku at the mercy of G5 governors

The G5 governors - Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia) Femi Makinde (Oyo) and Samuel Ortom (Benue) may well turn out to be Atiku's nemesis in the presidential contest. Having governors in your party is a major advantage in Nigerian national elections but as things stand at the moment, Atiku cannot count on the governors, who are openly leading a mutiny in the PDP.

The governors have continued to undermine Atiku's presidential ambition at series of regular public events, which appear to be organised just to provide a stage to knock the PDP presidential candidate.

"To hell with Atiku and any other Fulani man. And any man supporting Atiku and all that is an enemy. I want this to be known as long as I am governor. They should go and tell him. You want me to be a slave for a Fulani. Anybody supporting Atiku is an enemy of Benue,” Ortom declared while playing host to other members of the G5 in Makurdi, Benue State capital, on November 6.

Already, the Rivers State chapter of the PDP has decided against campaigning for Atiku ahead of the general elections. Despite being a PDP-ruled state, there are reports that people are not allowed to paste Atiku's posters in the state.

Wike is the leader of the G5. Having lost the PDP presidential ticket to Atiku, he was subsequently overlooked as running mate, despite reports that a committee headed by Ortom endorsed him as the party's VP candidate.

Atiku's pictures and posters were conspicuously missing when the Rivers State chapter of the PDP launched campaigns for the 2023 elections in Port Harcourt on October 24. Going by normal practice, state chapters simultaneously campaign for the presidential flagbearer while canvassing votes for party candidates for all the elective positions. But it appeared that the PDP had no presidential candidate when Wike launched the party's campaign in Rivers State. Atiku was ignored.

Justifying the development, the governor said Rivers State will not campaign for Atiku.

He made this clear, saying: "Some have asked me why they did not see the presidential candidate, the party chairman’s photos in our campaign vehicles. I said what are you talking about? The presidential candidate entered my state and picked members of the Presidential Campaign Council without the governor of the state having a contribution.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/100-days-to-presidential-election-leading-candidates-battle-hurdles/

Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by Realguyman1(m): 5:39pm On Nov 16, 2022
O
Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by Obidient1: 5:41pm On Nov 16, 2022
O
Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by PandoraObi: 5:41pm On Nov 16, 2022
Tinubu is a man of grace and unparalleled favour, even the CAN that was making yanga and shakara before have calm down, I guess pastor adeboye have speak deliverance in their lives
Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by sonature1: 5:46pm On Nov 16, 2022
May God help Peter Obi to win, amen!

1 Like

Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by Natbrowny: 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2022
grin

Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by Jones4190(m): 6:14pm On Nov 16, 2022
I don use obi love format knack amaka for free again, this is my second time this week.
obi is giving me joy here even thou I'm BAT supporter
I will try it on chisom tomorrow, that one too stubborn but I will still us my love for obi format knack her.
Re: 100 Days To Presidential Election: Leading Candidates Battle Hurdles by realstars: 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2022
This is simple. Any sane people of nigeria dont want Tinubu and the crises in pdp is to pafe way for Obi, and soludo's fume is a pake, we move.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Crisis: Wike’s Demands Not Personal, But I’ll Support Atiku - Fayose / Full Transcript Of What Fr. Mbaka Said About Peter Obi (June 2022) / “I Have The Capacity To Humble Wike” – Ned Nwoko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.