Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt (2443 Views)

Police Vow To Go After LGBTQ Community, Probe Members After Video Challenge / Help! My Immediate Brother Detained At Ikoyi Prison Since Last June 2022 / US Journalist Slams British Museum Over Plans To Loan Nigeria Stolen Statues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Deejaygold(m): 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2022
US journalist detained at World Cup stadium over LGBTQ shirt

The Qatari crackdown on support for the LGBTQ community has seen an American journalist get detained on Monday November 21.

Journalist Grant Wahl, who runs a Substack covering soccer and formerly wrote for Sports Illustrated, revealed on Twitter that he was not allowed into the stadium for Monday’s US-Wales 2022 World Cup match because of his shirt.

His shirt had a soccer ball surrounded by a rainbow, considered the pride colour of the LGBTQ community.

Wahl tweeted that he was told: "You have to change your shirt. It’s not allowed."

Later in the day, Wahl tweeted an update, saying he was "OK, but that was an unnecessary ordeal".

He wrote: "Am in the media center, still wearing my shirt. Was detained for nearly half an hour. Go gays.:

Earlier on Monday, Nov. 21, FIFA threatened European team captains with automatic yellow cards for wearing a "OneLove" armband, as they had planned to do, leading England’s Harry Kane to back down and wear a FIFA-sanctioned armband instead.

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Deejaygold(m): 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Naira20: 9:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
Transfer him to kirikiri

16 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by DWJOBScom(m): 9:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
Insist he goes back to his tent
Horrible people forcing their sickness down our throat.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by spinna: 9:59pm On Nov 21, 2022
So Gods beautiful rainbow is now fully a gay symbol? kai

9 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Realmi: 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2022
Thats good

4 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Realmi: 10:02pm On Nov 21, 2022
That's good...after all the warnings that Qatar has issued....they think say Qatar dey take rubbish

22 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2022
DWJOBScom:
funny
Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by WibusJaga: 10:08pm On Nov 21, 2022

Just package him to Afghanistan for a 2-week romance with the Talibans. cheesy

17 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Thortp(m): 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2022
Shebi you think you can do anyhow in a Muslim country.
They will decide your fate on Friday after jummat

7 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Iliveforever(m): 10:21pm On Nov 21, 2022
He should be jailed.

You’ve told us who you’re and we say no problem but just keep it to yourself.

Now you want to imposes it to our face on our daily activities??

Where your right stops, my right begins.

Jail him for 5yrs bikko, then deport him after

7 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Pharaohny: 12:09am On Nov 22, 2022
Sled the werey go jail grin grin grin grin grin grin
Is it by force can he try in Russia angry angry angry angry
Stupid people

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by simmydebadest(m): 12:48am On Nov 22, 2022
Talk of double standard: LGBTQ been foreced on us against our wish is not against human right?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Nobody: 1:22am On Nov 22, 2022
spinna:
So Gods beautiful rainbow is now fully a gay symbol? kai
That's my annoyance.
They should have come up with their color and not Rainbows

4 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Patriotsleague: 5:46am On Nov 22, 2022
What is wrong with these gays, can't they keep their sick homo lifestyle inside them, stop broadcasting it, it's a taboo, it's sickening. Forcing LGBTQ on us Africans is abusing our sensibilities, culture and our right to have a decent society.

9 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Stanweezy(m): 6:47am On Nov 22, 2022
That Qatari man i like his response, respect the law of the land

Don't bring ur nonsense behavior and shove it to other ppl to absorb

3 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Nostring: 6:52am On Nov 22, 2022
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Nostring: 6:54am On Nov 22, 2022
Nonsense..... We get ppl like the goat fr naija too.. den no respect others but want to force down dia useless ideas on ppl undecided

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by BigYash: 7:02am On Nov 22, 2022
Them suppose flog sense enter he head. I wish it was north Korea,make he mind dey.. White Ugly modafucker!

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by descarado: 7:11am On Nov 22, 2022
The West ( a fraction of the world's population for that matter) want the world to eat, think and behave like them.

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by techWriter1: 7:13am On Nov 22, 2022
argue he comes back to his tent Horrible people forcing their sickness down our throat
Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by michlins(m): 7:28am On Nov 22, 2022
Bounce him off the country. This is football and should be left to be a game. Learning to respect other people beliefs is very important

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Buharidgeneral: 7:29am On Nov 22, 2022
WibusJaga:

Just package him to Afghanistan for a 2-week romance with the Talibans. cheesy

Lol you're bad guy. You get mouth
Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Mercury12(m): 7:31am On Nov 22, 2022
These LGBT nonsense people no dey hear word.
They are like cancer to healthy cells.
Abnormalities made to seams normal in the west undecided

Pls arrest these gays lesbians bisexuals and other dirty abominables and send them to God for judgment.
Nobody has monopoly to madness undecided

2 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Fourtygees: 8:03am On Nov 22, 2022
Imagine America was hosting the worldcup and say no hijab or no abaya because of bomb threat... You won't see a soul wearing hijab in the stadium, but they feel they can break other people's rule and culture in their own land.... Very stupid set of people

4 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by iHateFraudsters: 8:39am On Nov 22, 2022
Realmi:
That's good... after all the warnings that Qatar has issued ....they think say Qatar dey take rubbish

I tire o.

The warnings no be here.
Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by talk2hb1(m): 9:01am On Nov 22, 2022
DWJOBScom:
They already warn against this, he could be attacked by someone else.
It's a global entertainment not another opportunity to campaign your biases

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by VirtuousStarBoy: 4:43pm On Nov 22, 2022
The stupid guy should be incarcerated ASAP !!!.

2 Likes

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2022
Where is he being detained make I come flog him in his cell

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by Gnosis777: 5:08pm On Nov 22, 2022
Realmi:
That's good...after all the warnings that Qatar has issued....they think say Qatar dey take rubbish

Exactly! I already knew before I scrolled down that it would be a white person from the U.S. They are always quick to say that one needs to respect the laws of America, but think they can do whatever they want in another person's country. Qatar did the right thing. If people are expected to respect the laws of America, then the same should apply in another country's land as well.

I agree with pretty much everyone's comments in this thread. Because I hate how they are hell bent on forcing their bullcrap down the throats of others, even when the country was VERY clear about this and warned them not to do this mess in public. But you know, the white american has to "force" his will onto others at any cost. Hope Qatar make a good example of this idiot!

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Detained At World Cup Stadium Over LGBTQ Shirt by NWABUKA007(m): 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2022
I thought they were all Informed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Stabs Husband To Death, Cuts Off Penis / Headless Bodies, Dismembered Human Parts…see Graphic Photo From Yola Bomb Blast / Teen Accidentally Kills Himself On Instagram Live As Friends Watch Pic+video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.