Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,376 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue (2094 Views)

Is Jesus Really God? / Will A Pure Heart Without Believing In God Take One To Heaven? / The Wrath Of Satan Shall Praise God - Take your time to read and absorb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Anextin(f): 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2011
When a partner is unhappy in thier marriage, maybe the other cheats, abuses and all. It gets to a point where d other is saturated and opts out. In matt 5:31-32, said its ok for a man to divorce his wife if she is unfaithful. Matt 19:9 said same thing. But in mark 10.;11-12 and luke 16:18 said same thing but not quite. In the formal a clause on fornication or adultry was put in place while the latter bear no such thing. I know the bible is deep and we cant fathom everyrhing in it but we always ppray for wisdom of understanding to guide us. Pls before u post any comment read these quotations very well and add more u ve come across so it can clear e is deep and we cant fathom everyrhing in it but we always ppray for wisdom of understanding to guide us. Pls before u post any comment read these quotations very well and add more u ve come across so it can clear
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by HISchild: 2:44am On Aug 26, 2011
friend,

you're correct, we don't know anything in the holy Bible, unless GOD mercifully shows us.  By GOD's mercy and grace, HE commands, for (“[B]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works[/B].” -2 Timothy 3:16-17) that we should compare holy scripture with scripture,  "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual." - 1 Corinthians 2:13

In doing so, we can conclude that GOD, in creating manking (Adam and Eve), never intended divorce.

"And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." - Genesis 2:22-24

Even though GOD, during a relatively short period of time permitted divorce in Israel for HIS righteous purpose with re: to the nation of Israel itself to whom HE was married (Jeremiah 3:14) , The Lord JESUS CHRIST (GOD HIMSELF - John 1:1, Isaiah 9:6, Rev 1:7-cool, set the record straight.

"They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery." -Matthew 19:7-9 (also Mark 10:4-6)

Within the context above (and in comparing scripture with scripture and i believe the original language, the word "except" can be understood as "in addition to"wink. And again, divorce was permitted because of the hardness of their hearts.

Remember the woman taken in adultery? (John 8:1-11), The Lord JESUS CHRIST here, and throughout the word of GOD is teaching mercy and forgiveness, even as HE forgives us/many of sins, Forgive one another of trespasses against the other, including husband and wife for such things as fornication, (forgive your brother 70 x 7 times, i.e., indefinitely - Matthew 18:21-23), Let GOD be the judge, as HE is.

"And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away." - 1 Corinthians 7:10-12 (see here, The Lord specifically is saying wife do no depart, if you do for any reason, do not remarry and if possible, be reconciled unto your husband - this in essence confirms no divorce and re-marriage as is commonly taught today)

GOD says that HE hates divorce - "For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously." -Malachi 2:16

"Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." - Matthew 19:6, (Mark 10:9)

So, there is to be no divorce for any reason.  If The Lord JESUS CHRIST could divorce HIS bride, HIS eternal church, HIS sheep, ,  no one would make it to Heaven.  Praise GOD for so great a salvation. Thus, husband and wife should remain together, forgiving one another and loving each other in The Lord JESUS CHRIST unconditionally.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by bonetalk(m): 7:57am On Aug 26, 2011
Thankz so much Hischild, i love your contribution, more power to your elbow. Please, i need more contributions, coz this topic is very important.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by HISchild: 11:31pm On Aug 26, 2011
@gbenga, please, to GOD be all the thanks, praise and glory! smiley HIS holy words, HIS wisdom, HIS goodness.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by otokx(m): 11:38pm On Aug 26, 2011
nice contribution by hischild
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Image123(m): 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2011
Very good contribution by HISChild. Just to add that Jesus did not permit anyone to divorce for adultery but for fornication. And as HISChild as said, and God has taught us, we can forgive. Jesus has brought grace and we can come BOLDLY before the throne of grace to obtain grace in time of need. There's room, grace for forgivenessES and to work our marriages to premium standard.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 1:57pm On Aug 31, 2011
HISchild:

So, there is to be no divorce for any reason.  If The Lord JESUS CHRIST could divorce HIS bride, HIS eternal church, HIS sheep, ,  no one would make it to Heaven.  Praise GOD for so great a salvation. Thus, husband and wife should remain together, forgiving one another and loving each other in The Lord JESUS CHRIST unconditionally. 
*cough cough* ahem maybe you want to revise this statement?

@Anextin,
      "God's take on divorce" . . . that is a tall order. All we have are the scriptures to guide us and the Holy spirit to lead us - and the two should not be in disagreement.

There are 2 reasons given in the bible as grounds for divorce:
Reason #1 - Adultery/Cheating Jesus said, "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery," (Matt. 19:9)

Reason # 2 - Abandonment "Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace," (1 Cor. 7:15).

That said, I'm going to add a 3rd reason . . . not because I am 'adding to the scriptures' but because the bible was not written or designed to provide answers for every single scenario we face in life. There are so many other unique circumstances that godly wisdom must be applied & used to decide what the best course of action is. The bible doesn't give instructions for every single scenario, but gives us general principles, godly guidelines, divine wisdom and the Holy Spirit by which we make difficult decisions. So . . .

Reason # 3 - (Unique circumstances such as Physical Abuse).

Now I know some of the previous posters disagree with me. That's fine. I would simply like to ask you all one question, and it will speak volumes about whether a literal & rigid application of scripture verses is more important than mercy, and whether religion is more important than compassion:

A woman is being physically abused, beaten up by her husband daily, sometimes he even beats the children. She has tried everything she can but its only getting worse and she fears for herself & her children. In your opinion, can she divorce him?
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by mazaje(m): 2:57pm On Aug 31, 2011
JeSoul:

A woman is being physically abused, beaten up by her husband daily, sometimes he even beats the children. She has tried everything she can but its only getting worse and she fears for herself & her children. In your opinion, can she divorce him?

Sister Jesoul. . . .How far?. . .They will tell you to fast and pray. . . .My aunt is suffering from this right now. . .Church people keep telling her that she must endure, she must fast and she must pray, they insist that God will change him and she is not the only one out there that is going through this. . . .The husband keeps beating her all the time, once he slapped her in the presence of my younger brother. . .The next time she calls me and talks to me about fasting and praying am going to slap her through the phone. . .Seems she wants to be killed. . .She has to be alive to fast and pray, dead people don't fast and pray ohhhh. . . .
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 3:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
mazaje:

Sister Jesoul. . . .How far?. . .
I am peaches my dear. How you dey now? smiley

They will tell you to fast and pray. . . .My aunt is suffering from this right now. . . Church people keep telling her that she must endure, she must fast and she must pray, they insist that God will change him and she is not the only one out there that is going through this. . . .The husband keeps beating her all the time, once he slapped her in the presence of my younger brother. . .The next time she calls me and talks to me about fasting and praying am going to slap her through the phone. . .Seems she wants to be killed. . .She has to be alive to fast and pray, dead people don't fast and pray ohhhh. . . .
I find this extremely distressing. Extremely. These people have allowed some false sense/belief of "following religion" to cloud eventually choke out the very basic instincts of love, mercy and compassion and DOING THE RIGHT THING that God Himself imprinted in all of us. Please do what you can to talk some sense into her so that it is not her funeral that will eventually snap them out of it. Things like this truly make me sad.

Reminds me of this story "https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-245335.0.html" A 9yr old girl was ra.ped (had been consistently ra.ped since she was 6 btw) and got pregnant with twins. The mother of the girl approved an emergency life-saving abortion as it was threatning the life of the girl - and the Catholic Church excommunicates the mother and the doctors (but not the rapist oh, imagine) because "life must always be protected" and they broke the rules.

I ask them in complete disgust - what about the life of the poor 9yr old girl? are your 'rules' and 'doctrines' more important than her life? Professing christians who insist a woman should stay in an abusive relationship and 'pray' - are your 'rules' and 'doctrines' more important than her life? than the lives of her children? This is what happens when people coldly follow the letter of the bible - with their hearts left behind.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by KAYD007(m): 3:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
@HisChild

In doing so, we can conclude that GOD, in creating manking (Adam and Eve), never intended divorce.

How is the creating of Adam & Eve, an indication of God never intending divorce?,

Assuming that  God never intended divorce rearing up in marriages is tantamount to saying  HE is short sighted, not to have known
that issues would come up in marriages that eventually would cause couples to go their separate ways?   i.e adultery,a battered or abused
wife /husband whose life is no longer safe in the marriage etc?

If God never intended divorce, dont you think HE should have made marriages CRISIS FREE?

Dont you think that God should have created us with the inherent ability to not divorce no matter the crisis rocking
marriage?

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Image123(m): 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2011
@JeSoul and co.
i'll disagree like you probably forethought. God does not permit divorce based on adultery but on fornication. And thank God we have grace to forgive our spouses 70 times 7 times unlike the old covenant.
On your 3rd issue, there's no crime or sin without a solid and sympathetic defense. All you need is a good lawyer/advocate. But the Bible has helpfully given a separation go-ahead na.
"And unto the married I command, yet not I, but THE LORD, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and IF SHE DEPART, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife." (1 Corinthians 7:10-11).
Every marriage can be worked at, just as God can clense the vilest, or you don't have faith ni?
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 6:16pm On Aug 31, 2011
Image123:

@JeSoul and co.
i'll disagree like you probably forethought. God does not permit divorce based on adultery but on fornication.
That one na your own interpretation of that verse smiley  you don forget say na you and me hammer this topic a while back . . .
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-313744.0.html

And thank God we have grace to forgive our spouses 70 times 7 times unlike the old covenant.
So if I cheat on my husband over and over again, he should continue to forgive me 70x7 times? Please think about this very carefully.

On your 3rd issue, there's no crime or sin without a solid and sympathetic defense. All you need is a good lawyer/advocate.
I'm not sure what you mean here . . . that the man probably has a 'solid & sympathetic defense' for beating his wife?

But the Bible has helpfully given a separation go-ahead na.
"And unto the married I command, yet not I, but THE LORD, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and IF SHE DEPART, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife." (1 Corinthians 7:10-11).
Every marriage can be worked at, just as God can clense the vilest, or you don't have faith ni?
Yes - and we need to understand the context in which certain advices and charges and instructions were given, and how we can in turn apply them to our time & circumstance - and not begin to declare them as a blanket law to address every single case where there are marital problems.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
"For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that He hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously." Malachi 2:16.

For deeper study,

Putting away was directed to men putting away their wives.

In other words, divorcing them.

God hates divorce!
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by mazaje(m): 8:00pm On Aug 31, 2011
cultey:

"For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that He hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously." Malachi 2:16.

For deeper study,

In other words, divorcing them.

God hates divorce!

Are you saying that your God wants abused partners to die in the hands of their abusive spouses?. . .
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Image123(m): 10:12pm On Aug 31, 2011
@JeSoul
thanks for raising the dead? i guess case closed then.
On 70x7, no be mi talk am. It's here.
"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I FORGIVE him? till seven times? JESUS SAITH unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, UNTIL SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN." (Matthew 18:21-22).
The Corinth passage well handles your query on abuse, except you want to hear something else. She may depart, but can reconcile or stay unmarried. it seems that's what it says?
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Enigma(m): 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2011
@ Jesoul

Re #3: you'd be surprised what you find in the Bible sometimes  wink

Not on all fours but I'd say some "principles" can be deduced from the below and accompanying/related material.

Exodus 21
10If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11I[b]f he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free[/b], without any payment of money.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by InesQor(m): 12:36am On Sep 01, 2011
JeSoul:

Reminds me of this story "https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-245335.0.html" A 9yr old girl was ra.ped (had been consistently ra.ped since she was 6 btw) and got pregnant with twins. The mother of the girl approved an emergency life-saving abortion as it was threatning the life of the girl - and the Catholic Church excommunicates the mother and the doctors (but not the despoiler oh, imagine) because "life must always be protected" and they broke the rules.

I ask them in complete disgust - what about the life of the poor 9yr old girl? are your 'rules' and 'doctrines' more important than her life? Professing christians who insist a woman should stay in an abusive relationship and 'pray' - are your 'rules' and 'doctrines' more important than her life? than the lives of her children? This is what happens when people coldly follow the letter of the bible - with their hearts left behind.
WOW! WOW!! Unreasoned religion can blind people and rip out their hearts!!! Merciless fools! cry cry cry

cry cry cry cry cry cry

This story is so awful I don't even want to start on it.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by HISchild: 2:19am On Sep 01, 2011
@Kayd007

How is the creating of Adam & Eve, an indication of God never intending divorce?,

Assuming that God never intended divorce rearing up in marriages is tantamount to saying HE is short sighted, not to have known
that issues would come up in marriages that eventually would cause couples to go their separate ways? i.e adultery,a battered or abused
wife /husband whose life is no longer safe in the marriage etc?

If God never intended divorce, dont you think HE should have made marriages CRISIS FREE?

Dont you think that God should have created us with the inherent ability to not divorce no matter the crisis rocking
marriage?
----------------
The Lord GOD made Eve for Adam, seeing as there wasn't a "helper" meet or proper for him. No one know's the mind of GOD - "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God." - 1 Corinthians 2:11

keeping this in mind, do you think however, that GOD intended for Adam to send Eve away or do away with her at his pleasure after The Lord had blessed him with her to be his partner/helper/companion? - "Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD." - Proverbs 18:22. I believe a safe answer would be no. Most important, in comparing Scripture with Scripture, GOD explicitly states in Mal, that HE hates divorce, so there is no ambiguity. Crises entered in this world and into marriage because mankind rebelled against GOD, thus the curse. man caused his problems, not GOD. GOD mercifully comes to our rescue.

Genesis 1:31
"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

Ecclesiastes 7:29
"Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions."
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by justhappy: 3:57am On Sep 01, 2011
@Hischild You must really like punishment or suffering. You have stated you will die before the end of this year, no divorce is allowed, one should part ways from family to follow God and this list goes on and on. Sounds like a person who has done so much wrong and is struggling from a guilty conscience. Therefore, you subconsciously punish yourself and justify it through the bible. Fascinating! From all that everyone has posted here, it is clear that there are reasons why one would divorce. No merciful god would want his "child" in a dangerous or deadly situation. You cannot just compare scripture with scripture, sometimes you have to compare it with common sense.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by wordtalk(m): 7:23am On Sep 01, 2011
cultey:

Eh, hang on. . . what happens when Christian women put away their husbands? I'm not being facetious - I've seen it happen!
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2011
Image123:

@JeSoul
thanks for raising the dead? i guess case closed then.
On 70x7, no be mi talk am. It's here.
"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I FORGIVE him? till seven times? JESUS SAITH unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, UNTIL SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN." (Matthew 18:21-22).
  Actually snr brother, na you talk am. I think you're confusing 'forgiveness' with 'consequence'. We may receive forgiveness but we must still face the consequence of our shortcomings. It is the perogative of the cheated spouse to take back the cheater or not - but he/she is certainly not obligated to by any stretch by any scripture verse - imho.

The Corinth passage well handles your query on abuse, except you want to hear something else. She may depart, but can reconcile or stay unmarried. it seems that's what it says?
The corinth passage handles it perfectly - for some people under certain circumstances. Remember now, not every directive in the bible was meant to apply to every single situation - and I honestly believe it is wrong to place such a heavy burden on christians.

Fancy a woman abused for years by her husband. The children self were not spared from his beatings. She leaves him and takes her children. Years later she meets another man, a godly man who loves her and is willing to take care of her and the children. Meanwhile her ex-husband is still the abuser that he was and hasn't changed a bit. Are you telling me that scripture is saying she should turn down this godly man and still hold out for her ex-husband? Through no fault of hers, she must remain single until she dies? Is this really what the bible 'commands' from us?

Oga make you no mind my question sha, and feel free not to answer, are you married?
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 3:42pm On Sep 01, 2011
Enigma:

@ Jesoul

Re #3: you'd be surprised what you find in the Bible sometimes  wink

Not on all fours but I'd say some "principles" can be deduced from the below and accompanying/related material.

Exodus 21
10If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

Infact ehn my in-law, you have introduced perfectly an angle which I was going to go but was waiting for the right time cheesy

@All, what qualifies a man as a "husband" or a woman as a "wife"? that he/she recited a few vows in front of an audience? that he/she lives in the same house as the other? that he/she are intimate regularly? that he/she takes care of the other and provides for them? 

As far as I'm concerned, a man (or woman) who beats his wife & children, a man who neglects his family and doesn't take care of their needs or provide for them, a man who abandons his family, a man who forsakes what has been entrusted to him to lay down his life for - is not a 'husband' or 'wife' and therefore does not neatly fall under the 'husband/wife' umbrella of directives & advice in the NT that pleads for patience and longsuffering, seperation for a while and then restoration . . .

. . . as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure others will feel differently.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2011
InesQor:

WOW! WOW!! Unreasoned religion can blind people and rip out their hearts!!! Merciless fools! cry cry cry

cry cry cry cry cry cry

This story is so awful I don't even want to start on it.
Ciao Inesqor
  Awful does not begin to describe it. Even the 'unbelievers' look at that and know that it is just plain wrong. Stories like that make you not blame 'atheists' for despising 'religion' sometimes.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by HISchild: 4:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
@justhappy

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" - John 11:25-27

The Lord GOD imputes HIS righteousness to those upon whom HE has had mercy and pardoned through The work of The Lord JESUS CHRIST (undeserved salvation), however, if we know the word of GOD and are enabled by GOD, we will want to obey. Speaking humbly, yet firmly, disobedience is rebellion,

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king." -1 Samuel 15:23
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by Image123(m): 4:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
Oh, so the spouse should not handle the consequences(staying unmarried or reconciling) but the spouse should handle the consequences(divorce). Case closed really.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 5:08pm On Sep 01, 2011
Image123:

Oh, so the spouse should not handle the consequences(staying unmarried or reconciling) but the spouse should handle the consequences(divorce). Case closed really.
Huh  what sin has the abused spouse committed that she/he must remain miserable the rest of their life? Why should they suffer the sins of someone else who refuses to repent? Please do tell.

you skipped my other kweshion, no problem smiley. But please feel free to answer this question. . .
JeSoul:
@All, what qualifies a man as a "husband" or a woman as a "wife"? that he/she recited a few vows in front of an audience? that he/she lives in the same house as the other? that he/she are intimate regularly? that he/she takes care of the other and provides for them?

justhappy:

@Hischild You must really like punishment or suffering. You have stated you will die before the end of this year, no divorce is allowed, one should part ways from family to follow God and this list goes on and on. Sounds like a person who has done so much wrong and is struggling from a guilty conscience. Therefore, you subconsciously punish yourself and justify it through the bible. Fascinating! From all that everyone has posted here, it is clear that there are reasons why one would divorce. No merciful god would want his "child" in a dangerous or deadly situation. You cannot just compare scripture with scripture, sometimes you have to compare it with common sense.
I missed this quote the first time around & I'm not sure how justhappy meant it but . . . at first blush it seems a provocative notion . . . at second reading it doesn't sound so bad - if it will help address the overly fundamental 'read & apply directly' approach of many christians today.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by justhappy: 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2011
HISchild:

@justhappy

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" - John 11:25-27

The Lord GOD imputes HIS righteousness to those upon whom HE has had mercy and pardoned through The work of The Lord JESUS CHRIST (undeserved salvation), however, if we know the word of GOD and are enabled by GOD, we will want to obey. Speaking humbly, yet firmly, disobedience is rebellion,

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king." -1 Samuel 15:23

@Hischild I beg just answer the question for once. Just once. Are you capable of thinking for yourself? Unbelievable! I will take your response to mean yes you love to suffer and believe the more you suffer the more it shows God that you are obedient like a dog. Too bad God doesn't care, you will not be going to any heaven this year, and will live with the consequences of your choices like everyone else. Life is not a contest in suffering. The irony!
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by justhappy: 5:57pm On Sep 01, 2011
JeSoul:

Huh  what sin has the abused spouse committed that she/he must remain miserable the rest of their life? Why should they suffer the sins of someone else who refuses to repent? Please do tell.

you skipped my other kweshion, no problem smiley. But please feel free to answer this question. . . I missed this quote the first time around & I'm not sure how justhappy meant it but . . . at first blush it seems a provocative notion . . . at second reading it doesn't sound so bad - if it will help address the overly fundamental 'read & apply directly' approach of many christians today.

@JeSoul What I meant is that people like Hischild just quote scripture but do not seem capable of any original thought. They have convinced themselves that thinking independently is a sin. Which is exactly what those who wrote the bible would want. How is this any different than suicide bombers, who do not question their beliefs and think they are being obedient. So, there are some things where common sense is necessary. For this thread, in the case of marriage, a spouse who is unfaithful, sleeps around with men and women, has abandoned his partner, threatened his partners life, and simply has put the person in danger. Common sense would say to leave. But according to Hischild the bible says absolutely not. That is just plain ignorant and ridiculous.
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2011
justhappy:
@JeSoul What I meant is that people like Hischild just quote scripture but do not seem capable of any original thought. They have convinced themselves that thinking independently is a sin. Which is exactly what those who wrote the bible would want. How is this any different than suicide bombers, who do not question their beliefs and think they are being obedient. So, there are some things where common sense is necessary. For this thread, in the case of marriage, a spouse who is unfaithful, sleeps around with men and women, has abandoned his partner, threatened his partners life, and simply has put the person in danger. Common sense would say to leave. But according to Hischild the bible says absolutely not. That is just plain ignorant and ridiculous.
Your concerns are 100% seconded - and this is a very solid reason why people like yourself are perplexed sometimes by 'religious' people.

Let me assure you though - I am a christian who believes in & follows the bible, and there are many of us who do not subscribe to a raw, fast & furiously direct application of scriptures verses that were written in a totally different time, for a totally different circumstance, to a totally different audience, immersed in a totally different culture.

Scripture is dynamic - not rigid. We study and glean important truths from both NT & OT. We take the principles and godly guidelines everywhere from Abraham to the ultimate in Jesus Christ and then fashion our lives after them. It brings life & freedom - not bondage to the rigid following of rules without understanding the heart & motive and most importantly purpose behind those commands.

@my fellow christians,
  Jesus chastized the Pharisees often. Why? because though they were obedient to the Law, their hearts and motives for doing so were impure. Jesus also chastized Martha, for complaining about Mary sitting at His feet instead of helping with the house work. Should the housework not be done? of course not - but in that instance - it was more important to sit and learn. Does God want divorce? of course not - but in certain instances it is the right course of action. If I will be so bold as to say it is more important in the sight of God to save a life - than to follow a doctrine, a doctrine of which the application to every single case is even suspect to begin with.

There was a thread a week or so ago. A girl was run over by a bus but none of the men standing around moved a finger to help her. Their reason? they were muslim & they were fasting and it was against the religion to touch a woman during this time. Isn't this exactly what christians who insist a spouse remain in an abusive situation are also doing? Standing around and pointing to their 'religion' as justification for something you know is wrong? Please look in the mirror my fellow religious people, is the obedience of a doctrine more important than saving a life?
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by MyJoe: 6:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
justhappy:

You cannot just compare scripture with scripture, sometimes you have to compare it with common sense. [/b]
Lol.

"comparing scripture with scripture".
Lol
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by justhappy: 7:01pm On Sep 01, 2011
JeSoul:

Your concerns are 100% seconded - and this is a very solid reason why people like yourself are perplexed sometimes by 'religious' people.

Let me assure you though - I am a christian who believes in & follows the bible, and there are many of us who do not subscribe to a raw, fast & furiously direct application of scriptures verses that were written in a totally different time, for a totally different circumstance, to a totally different audience, immersed in a totally different culture.

Scripture is dynamic - not rigid. We study and glean important truths from both NT & OT. We take the principles and godly guidelines everywhere from Abraham to the ultimate in Jesus Christ and then fashion our lives after them. It brings life & freedom - not bondage to the rigid following of rules without understanding the heart & motive and most importantly purpose behind those commands.

@my fellow christians,
  Jesus chastized the Pharisees often. Why? because though they were obedient to the Law, their hearts and motives for doing so were impure. Jesus also chastized Martha, for complaining about Mary sitting at His feet instead of helping with the house work. Should the housework not be done? of course not - but in that instance - it was more important to sit and learn. Does God want divorce? of course not - but in certain instances it is the right course of action. If I will be so bold as to say it is more important in the sight of God to save a life - than to follow a doctrine, a doctrine of which the application to every single case is even suspect to begin with.

There was a thread a week or so ago. A girl was run over by a bus but none of the men standing around moved a finger to help her. Their reason? they were muslim & they were fasting and it was against the religion to touch a woman during this time. Isn't this exactly what christians who insist a spouse remain in an abusive situation are also doing? Standing around and pointing to their 'religion' as justification for something you know is wrong? Please look in the mirror my fellow religious people, is the obedience of a doctrine more important than saving a life?

@Jesoul Thank you for this response. I am a person who is on the fence about Christianity. Trying to understand all of this. When I read the posts of someone like Hischild, which are literal interpretations and talk about unwavering obedience to the letter of the law, no divorce, abandon family to follow God, May 21 is judgment day, and the world will end this year etc, it is hard to take these beliefs seriously. But your post right now is quite refreshing and allows me to look more closely at Christianity with an open mind. Thank you!
Re: Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue by JeSoul(f): 7:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
justhappy:

@Jesoul Thank you for this response. I am a person who is on the fence about Christianity. Trying to understand all of this. When I read the posts of someone like Hischild, which are literal interpretations and talk about unwavering obedience to the letter of the law, no divorce, abandon family to follow God, May 21 is judgment day, and the world will end this year etc, it is hard to take these beliefs seriously. But your post right now is quite refreshing and allows me to look more closely at Christianity with an open mind. Thank you!
My dear you are beyond welcome smiley. I really commend you for critically thinking about these things . . . this way you will be able to know what you believe and why you believe it - this is what I believe God calls us all to - a purposeful & deliberate faith - not one that disconnects its heart & intellect and merely relies on religious texts and mogs. Being a christian(follower of Jesus) is faith in God - not obedience to doctrines - and by our fruit we shall know ourselves. I believe ones faith should liberate them - not enslave and reduce your existence to the adherence to a list of dos & don'ts; not a license to live recklessly for self, but instead a reckless freedom that is anchored by the golden code "To love the Lord with all my heart, soul and mind AND to love my neighbor as myself".

I wish you well as you think, ponder & consider, its a fun journey smiley . . . one thing's for sure, if you seek, you shall find.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proof That Jesus Christ Is God straight from the old and new testaments. / Watch Pastor E.a Adeboye's Ewi Rendition At The #rccgconvention 2013 / RCCG Set To Complete First Multi-million Amusement Park For Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.