Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Is Jesus Really God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Jesus Really God? (29683 Views)

Is Jesus Really God / Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ / Divorce! Pls What Is Really God's Take On This Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Jesus Really God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2014
Is Jesus really God? There are many cults and false religions today that deny it. What is the truth about Jesus Christ? We turn to the Scriptures for the answer.

Is Jesus really God? There are many cults and false religions today that deny it. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, believe Jesus was created by the Father billions of years ago as the Archangel Michael and is hence a "lesser god" than the Father. The Mormons say Jesus was born as the first and greatest spirit child of the Heavenly Father and heavenly mother, and was the spirit-brother of Lucifer. New Agers claim Jesus was an enlightened master. Unitarian Universalists say Jesus was just a good moral teacher. What is the truth about Jesus Christ? We turn to the Scriptures for the answer.

https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-christ/jesus-is-god/is-jesus-god/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by kadas01(m): 5:53pm On Nov 22, 2014
Christ Jesus is The Love of The Almighty CREATOR!

HE is a Part of The Almighty CREATOR!

HE is also a Part of The Trinity of THE GODHEAD!

Please, do not quote me! Kindly contribute by posting your individual views! Thank you!
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by zubby29(m): 6:46pm On Nov 22, 2014
i am a Catholic nd we believe in doctrine of d church,biblicaly its not stated dat way but i believe he is bt cant really explain it,
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by CANTICLES: 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2014
#lot of smiles# .... You will agree with me that if a politician sent hirekillers to another Man ! The crime is commited in the Name of the politician though its d hirekillers that carry out the operation at d WILL OF THE POLITICIAN

So, Here In John 13:3 we read " the evening meal was going on, and the Devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot,, the Son of Simon to betray him." !!!

Walla! It was the Devil that was behind Jesus Death , Here is the question : So, DID DEVIL KILL GOD ??

10 Likes

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Leobreezy(m): 7:41pm On Nov 22, 2014
Well, on whether a Trigod exists you may wish to see Isaiah 44:6, Deuteronomy 6:4, and Malachi 2:10. The Bible really makes it clear on whether Jesus is God. For instance in Colossians 1:15, it clearly states that Jesus was created. It sounds rather funny to think God created himself.
Also in John 5:19, Jesus showed that all he did was what God had the intention of doing. Jesus doing the intention of himself? Hardly the case. That explains Jesus statement in John 10:30 to show that he was of the same purpose which God has, hence they are one in will, not power or body.
Furthermore in John 14:28, Jesus addressed God as being greater than him.
Although Isaiah 9:6 does prophetically refer to Jesus as the Mighty God, that is very much different from Jehovah's title as Almighty God in Exodus 6:2 & 3. On Who we Christians should worship, Jesus himself gave an answer in Matthew 4:10,"it is Jehovah your God you MUST worship". Clearly then, Jesus is not God.
For more information please visit Jw.org

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by briantext(m): 9:18pm On Nov 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Is Jesus really God? There are many cults and false religions today that deny it. What is the truth about Jesus Christ? We turn to the Scriptures for the answer.

Is Jesus really God? There are many cults and false religions today that deny it. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, believe Jesus was created by the Father billions of years ago as the Archangel Michael and is hence a "lesser god" than the Father. ••••►The Mormons say Jesus was born as the first and greatest spirit child of the Heavenly Father and heavenly mother, and was the spirit-brother of Lucifer. New Agers claim Jesus was an enlightened master. Unitarian Universalists say Jesus was just a good moral teacher. What is the truth about Jesus Christ? We turn to the Scriptures for the answer.

I Rep #Mormons
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by queensley55(f): 9:28pm On Nov 22, 2014
Jesus is or was an angel from heaven to earth..As the world was going astral God sent him on earth to preach the gospel,he was not God's son or God himself.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Christmasdon(m): 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2014
zubby29:
i am a Catholic nd we believe in doctrine of d church,biblicaly its not stated dat way but i believe he is bt cant really explain it,
.are you madt? JESUS IS GOD.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by rezzy: 4:24am On Nov 23, 2014
queensley55:
Jesus is or was an angel from heaven to earth..As the world was going astral God sent him on earth to preach the gospel,he was not God's son or God himself.

Are u a christian?

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by rezzy: 4:25am On Nov 23, 2014
queensley55:
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by zubby29(m): 4:50am On Nov 23, 2014
Christmasdon:
.are you madt? JESUS IS GOD.
do you hv to insult me,wat kind of a xtain are you

2 Likes

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Nobody: 5:16am On Nov 23, 2014
Isaiah 42:1-5(KJV)

Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law. Thus saith God the Lord, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

Who is being referred to as "my servant" in the message above?

I think those verses alone should settle the case....

2 Likes

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:52am On Nov 24, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Is Jesus really God? There are many cults and false religions today that deny it. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, believe Jesus was created by the Father billions of years ago as the Archangel Michael and is hence a "lesser god" than the Father. The Mormons say Jesus was born as the first and greatest spirit child of the Heavenly Father and heavenly mother, and was the spirit-brother of Lucifer. New Agers claim Jesus was an enlightened master. Unitarian Universalists say Jesus was just a good moral teacher. What is the truth about Jesus Christ? We turn to the Scriptures for the answer.

Jesus Truly Is God

There are numerous evidences for the absolute deity of Jesus Christ in the Bible. The following is a summary of the more important evidences.

Jesus Has the Names of God

Jesus Christ possesses divine names—names that can only be used of God. For example:

Jesus is Yahweh. Yahweh is a very common Hebrew name for God in the Old Testament, occurring over 5,300 times. It is translated Lord (all capitals) in many English translations of the Bible.

We first learn of this name in Exodus 3, where Moses asked God by what name He should be called. God replied to him, “I AM WHO I AM. . . .Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you’ ” (verse 14). Yahweh is basically a shortened form of “I AM WHO I AM” (verse 15). The name conveys the idea of eternal self-existence. Yahweh never came into being at a point in time for He has always existed.

Jesus implicitly ascribed this divine name to himself during a confrontation He had with a group of hostile Jews. He said, “I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:58). Jesus deliberately contrasted the created origin of Abraham—whom the Jews venerated—with His own eternal, uncreated nature as God.

Jesus is Kurios. The New Testament Greek equivalent of the Old Testament Hebrew name Yahweh is Kurios. Used of God, Kurios carries the idea of a sovereign being who exercises absolute authority. The word is translated Lord in English translations of the Bible.

THE AFFIRMATION THAT “JESUS IS LORD” (KURIOS) IN THE NEW TESTAMENT CONSTITUTES A CLEAR AFFIRMATION THAT JESUS IS YAHWEH. To an early Christian accustomed to reading the Old Testament, the word Lord, when used of Jesus, would point to His identification with the God of the Old Testament (Yahweh). Hence, the affirmation that “Jesus is Lord” (Kurios) in the New Testament constitutes a clear affirmation that Jesus is Yahweh, as is the case in passages like Romans 10:9, 1 Corinthians 12:3, and Philippians 2:5–11.

Jesus is Elohim. Elohim is a Hebrew name that is used of God 2,570 times in the Old Testament. The name literally means “strong one,” and its plural ending (im in Hebrew) indicates fullness of power. Elohim is portrayed in the Old Testament as the powerful and sovereign governor of the universe, ruling over the affairs of humankind.

Jesus is recognized as both Yahweh and Elohim in the prophecy in Isaiah 40:3: “Prepare the way of the Lord [Yahweh]; make straight in the desert a highway for our God [Elohim].” This verse was written in reference to John the Baptist preparing for the coming of Christ (as confirmed in John 1:23) and represents one of the strongest affirmations of Christ’s deity in the Old Testament. In Isaiah 9:6, we likewise read a prophecy of Christ with a singular variant (El) of Elohim: “And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God [El], Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

Jesus is Theos. The New Testament Greek word for God, Theos, is the corresponding parallel to the Old Testament Hebrew term Elohim. A well-known example of Christ being addressed as God (Theos) is found in the story of “doubting Thomas” in John 20. In this passage, Thomas witnesses the resurrected Christ and worshipfully responds: “My Lord and my God [Theos]” (John 20:28).

Jesus is called Theos throughout the rest of the New Testament. For example, when a jailer asked Paul and Silas how to be saved, they responded: “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household” (Acts 16:31). After the jailer believed and became saved, he “rejoiced, having believed in God [Theos] with all his household” (verse 34). Believing in Christ and believing in God are seen as identical acts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by italo: 9:40am On Nov 24, 2014
zubby29:

John1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

14 And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth.

It is good that you believe the Church, even though you dont fully understand...because it is God's Church, founded by Jesus to teach us the truth...

...and it has been teaching these truths before the Bible was even compiled and before the NT was written...

...indeed, the NT was even written by the early leaders of the Church, the apostles...

...and they taught, not by letter alone but by handing down the traditions of the Church by word of mouth and other means...which are equal in authority to the written word in scripture.

...indeed only the Church has the authority to interpret the Sacred Scripture for the Children of God.

However, on the issue of Jesus being God, it is explicitly stated in the Bible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Syncan(m): 10:03am On Nov 24, 2014
zubby29:

Bro, talk wetin you know o. If God says that Jesus is God, I wonder why we still ask? In Heb 1:8, God said to Jesus : "Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever. You rule with a scepter of justice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:55am On Nov 24, 2014
Syncan:

Bro, talk wetin you know o. If God says that Jesus is God, I wonder why we still ask? In Heb 1:8, God said to Jesus : "Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever. You rule with a scepter of justice.

That is biblically sound. Bravo!

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by CAPTIVATOR: 2:51pm On Nov 24, 2014
Syncan:

I so much like you for the fact that u deal with evidence ... Thats very cool !!! I later realise that Heb 1:7-9 is quoted from psalm 45: 6,7 wich originally was addressed to a human king in isreal , the writer doesnt have it in mind that the Isrealite King is Almighty God ! But that God is his throne . ..... No wonder the New English Bible says " Your throne is like God's throne" psalm 45:6 ! And God is their throne in isreal simply beacause all the Kings in isreal sits " upon Jehovah's Throne" 1 Chronicles 29:23 NW

With that knowledge, Note also that in Heb 1:7-9 !! Verse 7 says God is speakin ........ While verse 9 shows that the person (Jesus) been addressed is a worshipper , 9 "That is why God, YOUR God, annointed you ..... More than your partners " ! The person been addressed has a God who annoints him as a King

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by italo: 3:00pm On Nov 24, 2014
CAPTIVATOR:
I so much like you for the fact that u deal with evidence ... Thats very cool !!! I later realise that Heb 1:7-9 is quoted from psalm 45: 6,7 wich originally was addressed to a human king in isreal , the writer doesnt have it in mind that the Isrealite King is Almighty God ! But that God is his throne . ..... No wonder the New English Bible says " Your throne is like God's throne" psalm 45:6 ! And God is their throne in isreal simply beacause all the Kings in isreal sits " upon Jehovah's Throne" 1 Chronicles 29:23 NW

With that knowledge, Note also that in Heb 1:7-9 !! Verse 7 says God is speakin ........ While verse 9 shows that the person been addressed is a worshipper , 9 "That is why God, >YOUR God<, annointed you ..... More than your partners" ! The person been addressed has a God who annoints him as a King

Meaning? undecided
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Syncan(m): 4:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
CAPTIVATOR:

With that knowledge, Note also that in Heb 1:7-9 !! Verse 7 says God is speakin ........ While verse 9 shows that the person (Jesus) been addressed is a worshipper , 9 "That is why God, YOUR God, annointed you ..... More than your partners " ! The person been addressed has a God who annoints him as a King

I don't want to talk much yet. Simply tell me which king of Israel the psalmist was talking about, who he called God in Ps 45:6, and whose name shall be praised forever and ever Ps 45:17. While you are at it, kindly tell me who it was that the psalmist said "They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture" Ps 22:18, since you now do not understand what is prophecy and revelations.

The question continue to be "Is Jesus really God?" and the answer continue to be God called Jesus God in Heb 1:8, therefore he is God. If you have a quarrel with God on that, take it up with Him.

The writer of Hebrew Understood it as, God while talking to His son Jesus, called him God. He made it clear starting from verse one, yet you insist in giving your own interpretation of a fictitious earthly king...Make I de look you.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by CAPTIVATOR: 6:43pm On Nov 24, 2014
Syncan:

I don't want to talk much yet. Simply tell me which king of Israel the psalmist was talking about, who he called God in Ps 45:6, and whose name shall be praised forever and ever Ps 45:17. While you are at it, kindly tell me who it was that the psalmist said "They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture" Ps 22:18, since you now do not understand what is prophecy and revelations.

The question continue to be "Is Jesus really God?" and the answer continue to be God called Jesus God in Heb 1:8, therefore he is God. If you have a quarrel with God on that, take it up with Him.

The writer of Hebrew Understood it as, God while talking to His son Jesus, called him God. He made it clear starting from verse one, yet you insist in giving your own interpretation of a fictitious earthly king...Make I de look you.
the passage of Psalm 45 first apply to an ancient human King a thousand years before Jesus was born .... He is marryin the princess of Tyre ( Psalm 45: 9 - 13) !!!

Now it should rather be obvious to most people that God would not be reffering to the Davidic king as " God" !! THE RSV translates the passage as " Your divine throne endures forever and ever"- psalm 45:6 this captures the sense of the passage.

We can see from a review of the original passage that God is NOT identifying the Ancient Davidic King Getting Married to the princess of tyre as "God" , BUT is refferin to the fac that he sits upon a divinely established throne (1 chro 29:23) , NW reads in hebrew 1:8 " God is your throne forever and ever"

The fact that verse 9 says : thats why God, YOUR God annoints you !!! God cannot have a God or someone to annoint him, God's God or what ? Shows that there is a serious problem with the trinitarian translation

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Syncan(m): 7:34pm On Nov 24, 2014
CAPTIVATOR:
the passage of Psalm 45 first apply to an ancient human King a thousand years before Jesus was born .... He is marryin the princess of Tyre ( Psalm 45: 9 - 13) !!!

Now it should rather be obvious to most people that God would not be reffering to the Davidic king as " God" !! THE RSV translates the passage as " Your divine throne endures forever and ever"- psalm 45:6 this captures the sense of the passage.

We can see from a review of the original passage that God is NOT identifying the Ancient Davidic King Getting Married to the princess of tyre as "God" , BUT is refferin to the fac that he sits upon a divinely established throne (1 chro 29:23) , NW reads: " God is your throne forever and ever"

The fact that verse 9 says : thats why God, YOUR God annoints you !!! God cannot have a God or someone to annoint him, God's God or what ? Shows that there is a serious problem with the trinitarian translation

Please stop making outrageous claims just to support a position. Which unknown king ruled a thousand years before Jesus was born that the Psalmist is calling God? Or do you want us to find out the exact king at 1000bc? At least we know Isaiah lived at the time of ahaz, which was about 700bc, now 300yrs earlier ...and voila. Do you still hold on to this ridiculous claim?

It doesn't matter how you twist and turn in trying to change the words, it still contains "Ho theos" used for God in greek, you can't throw it away.

Now you say "God cannot have a God or someone to annoint him, God's God or what ?", Here I have to tell you that what you should do is proclaim what God has revealed, not what you understand. If God revealed that God Called his Son God ...Heb 1:8, proclaim it first, not try to understand it first. If God revealed that a virgin will bear a child... Is 7:14, proclaim it first, not try to understand it first.

Jesus is God. Jesus proclaimed it. The Jews understood it thus. The apostles understood it thus. Paul understood it thus. It was revealed to John in revelations thus. These are all scriptural, but I am presently dealing with this your obvious denial of God's word in Heb 1:8 and Ps 45:6.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 24, 2014
^^^
Syncan:

Jesus is God. Jesus proclaimed it. The Jews understood it thus. The apostles understood it thus. Paul understood it thus. It was revealed to John in revelations thus. These are all scriptural, but I am presently dealing with this your obvious denial of God's word in Heb 1:8 and Ps 45:6.

Show me where :

- Jesus proclaimed it
- The Jews understood it thus
- The apostles understood it thus
- Paul understood it thus.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by haffaze777(m): 8:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
confussion everywhere
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Syncan(m): 8:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
frosbel:
^^^

Show me where :

- Jesus proclaimed it
- The Jews understood it thus
- The apostles understood it thus
- Paul understood it thus.

Frosbel. I thought you were too busy to come around. You want to stampede me abi, first do we have an agreement in Heb 1:8.

Note that I also said it was revealed to John in revelations thus. You can add that to the list.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by italo: 8:06am On Nov 25, 2014
You don know them finish. They will avoid the truth by every means possible, including scattering the argument into 100 issues instead of facing the truth at hand.

Just wait and see. They will soon jump to Pope and purgatory.
Syncan:

Frosbel. I thought you were too busy to come around. You want to stampede me abi, first do we have an agreement in Heb 1:8.

Note that I also said it was revealed to John in revelations thus. You can add that to the list.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by fishleg123: 9:09am On Nov 25, 2014
Jesus is God, good, accepted. But Jesus has a God that. anointed him, YES or NO.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by italo: 10:23am On Nov 25, 2014
fishleg123:
Jesus is God, good, accepted. But Jesus has a God that. anointed him, YES or NO.

Yes. But that is besides the point of discussion.

Re-read the heading. The bold is enough.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Syncan(m): 10:52am On Nov 25, 2014
italo:
You don know them finish. They will avoid the truth by every means possible, including scattering the argument into 100 issues instead of facing the truth at hand.

Just wait and see. They will soon jump to Pope and purgatory.

My brother, I tire for the people. Talk true and shame the devil, no.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Syncan(m): 10:57am On Nov 25, 2014
fishleg123:

@ bold, thank you jare. The truth shall set you free joor.

One more thing...when you say the truth, no fear, you hear?
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by Kay17: 2:13pm On Nov 25, 2014
Christianity caught in the dilemma of polytheism and monotheism. Jesus cannot be a God but must be God. And for Jesus to be God, God must be Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Is Jesus Really God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:35pm On Nov 25, 2014
Kay17:

Christianity caught in the dilemma of polytheism and monotheism. Jesus cannot be a God but must be God. And for Jesus to be God, God must be Jesus.

It's not a dilemma it's called the Holy Trinity. Jesus is really God, the Second Person in the Godhead.
Re: Is Jesus Really God? by dolphinheart(m): 10:04pm On Nov 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

It's not a dilemma it's called the Holy Trinity. Jesus is really God, the Second Person in the Godhead.

Questions.
1.) Is Jesus the almighty God.?
2.) In the trinity , are they just one person with 3 different personalities,or are they 3 different personalities with the same authority.
3.)is Jesus the holy spirit? Is the holy spirit Jesus?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Bishop David And Faith Oyedepo Laughing Heartily / Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? / 2019 Election Prophecies: Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin Cautions Men Of God (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.