Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? (706 Views)

Tinubu Promises To Recharge Lake Chad If Elected President / APC Supporters Sharing Tinubu Recharge Cards For All Networks (Pic, Video) / Tinubu Recharge Cards In Arochukwu Market In Abia State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 11:54pm On Nov 23, 2022
Recently Tinubu like Buhari promised to recharge lake Chad. It can be done but at what cost?

• The Transaqua project is one proposal to replenish lake Chad. It involves diverting water from the Congo River to Lake Chad at a 50 billion dollar price tag. The Democratic Republic of Congo already rejected that plan. Obviously that idea is dead in the water if they're not on board.

• Another alternative would involve getting water from the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer. This idea was suggested by Professor Adamu of Kaduna University. The professor didn't give an estimate regarding how much the project would cost.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/01/lake-chad-can-be-replenished-from-nubian-sandstone-aquifer-prof-adanu/

Front page: Lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Tolexander: 12:07am On Nov 24, 2022
*555*lakechad#

Two other questions on recharging lake chad:

1.And after knowing the cost, how will the cost be shared among the countries in the basin?

2. How will the water be constantly be replenished?

3 Likes

Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 12:15am On Nov 24, 2022
Tolexander:
*555*lakechad#

Two other questions on recharging lake chad:

1.And after knowing the cost, how will the cost be shared among the countries in the basin?

2. How will the water be constantly be replenished?

1. That hasn't been thought out. I know Nigeria funds the bulk of these studies and organizations. The project will be no different.

2. Rain and whatever river fills the Aquifer.

Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by muykem: 6:10am On Nov 24, 2022
Thank God you are better than many IPOB members on social media. They thought the English is wrong.
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 4:34pm On Nov 24, 2022
muykem:
Thank God you are better than many IPOB members on social media. They thought the English is wrong.

Lol been talking about this topic since 2017. The issue isn't about schematics its about economic feasibility. I'm interested in the second alternative considering it work well for Libya. The 50 billion dollar price tag for the lake doesn't seem worth the effort.

“Libya has a 4-meter diameter pipe of about 2, 400 kilometres taking water to Benghazi, Sirte, and Tripoli. So they take water from this Nubian Sandstone Aquiver.

“The distance between the earth surface and the Nubian Aquiver is 500 meters. Libya takes 6.5 million cubic meters of water every day from this aquifer and pumping it to Sirte, Tripoli and Benghazi. So they are taking this water aggressively”.
Prof Adamu

1 Like

Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2022
Let's just assume for the sake of discussion lets assume Tapping the Aquifer will cost at least 25 billion dollars over 20 years. This is what Libya spent on tapping the Aquifer. It's cheaper than the Transaqua project and you don't require the consent of the Congo. Is 23 billion dollars worth the cost economically and socially?

Lol we know Nigeria will have to fund the bulk of this. We have to sign a treaty with Chad since the Aquifer is in their borders.
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by BeardedMeat(m): 7:49pm On Nov 24, 2022
The same lake Chad surrounded and owned by Boko Haram.

Lol
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 9:19pm On Nov 24, 2022
BeardedMeat:
The same lake Chad surrounded and owned by Boko Haram.

Lol

You're not saying much. Are you saying after Boko Haram is defeated then the government should start the project?
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by BeardedMeat(m): 9:25pm On Nov 24, 2022
Blue3k:

You're not saying much. Are you saying after Boko Haram is defeated then the government should start the project?
Exactly my brother.

See the billions of naira you are proposing will go into such a project. Except, they are prepared to heavily bribe Boko Haram to look the other way, they are wasting time and planning another looting.

I don't even know the amount you can bribe Boko Haram with to stop them from kidnapping the workers for ransom.
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 9:30pm On Nov 24, 2022
BeardedMeat:
Exactly my brother.

See the billions of naira you are proposing will go into such a project. Except, they are prepared to heavily bribe Boko Haram to look the other way, they are wasting time and planning another looting.

I don't even know the amount you can bribe Boko Haram with to stop them from kidnapping the workers for ransom.

Well the project wouldn't take place in Nigeria where they're most active. I would assume it would be most In Chad since that's where the Aquifer is. The chadians don't have cash or time to bribe Bokogerians.

Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by BeardedMeat(m): 9:42pm On Nov 24, 2022
Blue3k:

Well the project wouldn't take place in Nigeria where they're most active. I would assume it would be most In Chad since that's where the Aquifer is. The chadians don't have cash or time to bribe Bokogerians.
The whole Sahel region is the epicenter of terrorism.

Bogus promises like this is why Tinubu will never attend a debate where his words can be scrutinized.

He was just playing politics with northern livelihood like they played in 2015 with cleaning up Ogoni.
Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 5:43pm On Nov 25, 2022
Just to let you guys know what can be achieved by tapping that Aquifer just watch the video below. Libya created The Great Man-Made Rivers to irrigate the desert. It cost billions as mentioned before. I don't see why this couldn't be replicated to refill a lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjOW6kLEckg

Re: How Would Tinubu recharge Lake Chad? by Blue3k(m): 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2022
omonnakoda:

But for discussion . Where will
$50 billion come from
That could be 30-40 trillion Naira
what is the current revenue of the Federal government and what is the debt service expense figure??

I am curious to know when/how recently the costing of that 50 billion took place bearing in mind that ENERGY used to pump or divert water would be a major cost

Now looking at it as a business? If you put in $50 billion will it generate money and how much? Or would you need to spend money annually to maintain

These are basic feasibility questions

Lol they don't have any means of raising that sort of cash. It was supposed to be a group effort but the countries that border lake chad are poorer than Nigeria. It wouldn't matter if they had the funds now because Congo already rejected the Transaqua project.

The Italian firm Bonifica the one that came up with the project in the 80s. They're still involved in discussions today. I doubt this project would be profitable.

(1) (Reply)

Traumatised Since My Wife Was Jailed Since May For Blasphemy– Ex Muslim / Okada Walk For APC In Sokoto (video) / Labour Party, Obi Supporters Disagree On Venue For Delta Rally (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.