Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad (50992 Views)

Marrying And Taking Her Abroad; A Regret? / A 50-year-old Man Impregnated My 16-year-old Sister. / 15-Year-Old Chinwe Married To Older Man Has Been Returned To Her Parents (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by BRATISLAVA: 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2022
grandstar:
My younger brother who now lives in Wales calls these out of control criminally minded black boys the "scourge of England".

He said their parents have no time for their kids, working 24/7 to make money and achieve the reason why they japa. Unfortunately, what these kids are not thought at home, they learn outside on the streets.

It is not racism but negligence.

But later on they'll tell you the British and their police force are "bloody racists". It's never their own doing. They're harmless saints once they're in countries not ruled by blacks.

The attraction of blacks to crime and evil is unparalleled. Their white counterparts are Albanians and other gypsy TT types.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by bepositive11: 4:22pm On Nov 30, 2022
complexBoss12:
Why do I get the feeling that kids in Africa, nay Nigeria, are the strongest in the world. In most Nigerian homes nobody cares about your mental state, none of all these spoon feeding. infact, your parents insult, beat and abuse the living day light out you, but most still turn out okay.

This is not to trivialize her experience, just the other side of it, I would never mock her pain.

Nigerian kids are the strongest in the world? Most still turn out okay? Most of them grow up to become as dysfunctional as their parents.

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Jucin17(f): 4:22pm On Nov 30, 2022
cunny88:
She had a golden opportunity to skul abroad which millions of Nigerian are looking for, she misused it and is looking for an opportunity to apportion blame, ppl like me attended public skuls from primary to university level with very minimal supervision, cos our parents were poor, yet we manage to kip our heads above d water. She is the master or her fate and architect of her misfortune.

That was the work of the devil; she didn't understand what was happening to her at that tender age coupled with the negative peer pressure that surrounded her. So don't blame her, hope u read where she advised parents to raise their children in God's way; meaning that she didn't know this earlier but understanding it now. God will help her

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by gloryhomemaker(f): 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2022
This is deep.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by wolebest: 4:34pm On Nov 30, 2022
Familyplug:
A 50-YEAR-OLD NIGERIAN WOMAN SHARES HER REGRETS ABOUT HER PARENTS SENDING HER ABROAD TO SCHOOL AS A TEENAGER.

I came to the UK in the 80s and went to Skinners school for girls in Stamford hill where I failed woefully. I come from a family where going abroad was like going to the market for us. I lived with my sister-in-law who I happened to have appeared to as a burden at the time. I had no one to take me out as a child, didn't enjoy McDonald's treats. I remember being bought KFC once by my mother's younger sister who was in the UK at the time. Most days I had to walk from Pembury estate, Hackney to Stamford hill because I had no transport fee. An uncle got me free school meals from the government so I always had lunch at school but other meals were not guaranteed...

No one ever asked me how I was doing in school even though I was a failure, never disclosed my report sheet because my results were always 'U- Unclassified' worse than F9. I lived at the expense of a few of my brother's friends who were ready to give me £5 in exchange for me seating on their laps whilst they used my nipples as a toy. On a few occasions, my immediate family would give me £5, £10 but NONE EVER TOOK ME ON AS HIS OR HER RESPONSIBILITY. One glorious day, a brother of mine took me on when he noticed that I have been associating with friends that were smoking and sexing at the age of 12 but due to malicious beating every day I had no choice other than to run away from his house. ....

I became streetwise, smoking heavily at the age of 11/12, and did my first abortion at the age of 14/15. I was unable to contact my mother because I had no access to the telephone moreover I didn't know how to use the phones then. I lived with a Jamaican friend who was a few years older than me and we had a man friend aged 50t who was impotent but would pay our rent whenever we allowed him to lick/suck us. Hhhhmmmm I'm sobbing as I'm writing this; I don't know why my spirit has led me to share this horrific and pathetic story but I am sure it is to bless someone out there so I am not ashamed of letting it out because someone outthere will think twice before making the mistake my family made.

I and friends began to find it easy to befriend men for money at night clubs (Gullivers, Petter Stringfellows, etc) at a very young age which I found disgusting, they molested my body orally. I can't even carry on expressing my bitter past experiences because I have learnt to see them as the strengths that made me who I am today...

The Koko of this post is this... Now in the UK, we see Nigerian children killing, shooting, stabbing, selling drugs, raping, etc and we wonder why they are ridiculing our darling country's name... Hhhhmmmm it is not the kids' fault it is the fault of the parents that weren't ready to prioritize their priorities.

I can't blame my mother and neither can I blame my father because they thought sending me abroad to school was the best for me. They also trusted my siblings and didn’t like to get involved in the way they were raising us. They believed when you give a goat to someone, you let go of the rope. They didn't know their darling daughter had become something else.....

You may be boosting that your child lives in London, America, etc but do you ever ask yourself how life is treating them where they are??

So many parents in Nigeria believe the field is greener on the other side forgetting that NO ONE CAN TRAIN YOUR KIDS THE WAY YOU CAN EXCEPT LOVING & GOD-FEARING PEOPLE.

In the UK so many Nigerian parents have misplaced their priorities, they rather work 24/7 and make all their monies to build mansions in Nigeria at the expense of their children's lives.

So many Nigerian parents in the UK don't even attend parents' evenings at their kid's school, some can't even help their kids with homework. Some believe their kids are at home and they are safe not knowing who is there with them. Some would rather spoil their kids with money & expensive outfits instead of investing quality time in them.

Sending your kids abroad to be looked after by someone else is a pure waste of time and bringing your kids from 9ja without giving them all the time needed is an irresponsible move and to be working all God-sent hours, making sterling, dollars, and euros, naira, etc without spending quality time with your kids is a disgrace to parenthood.

This is one of our bad irresponsible cultures even back home ….most children in Nigeria were brought up by housemaids/gatemen/next door/grandmothers/neighbors etc. Some Nigerians don't believe in family planning rather they will have so many children and start using them to hawk sweets, bread, etc after school...

Having a child is not by force, God did not say YOU MUST HAVE CHILDREN, YES HE STATED 'MULTIPLY' but he didn't mean we should do it to suffer for them. Having children does not mean you will live your life joyfully and it doesn't give you a place in heaven either, instead, your children may make you miss heaven if care is not taken.

I am a product of a neglected, nonchalant, cultural upbringing and I WILL NEVER WISH IT ON MY GREATEST ENEMY BECAUSE I HAD IT ROUGH AND IN SADNESS.

Let us stop being selfish and stop pushing our problems/burdens on others. Your child should be with you no matter how poor or rich you are and you must teach them in the ways of God.

Some parents in Nigeria, have children in Diaspora and know nothing about their life , only the fact that their child is abroad.

You had the opportunity to live abroad with your elder sibling and you missused the opportunity.

Even in your 20s, 30s and 40s, you did not reset your brain, until you were 50.

Your parents did the best for you then, stop blaming parents.

Many a Nigerian kids were born in the villages but they made good enough choices to get education or Lear a trade and pull their families out of poverty.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by membranus: 4:43pm On Nov 30, 2022
cunny88:
I grew up in a ghetto, faced bullying, oppression and all, I didn't av a maths in high skul for abt two yrs, but it's not enof excuse to fail

You are only looking at the failure aspect of her schooling, and deliberately overlooking the harsh and outcast treatments at her relatives home. A loving relationship at home and excelling at school go hands in hands.

I remember when I was a child staying with my aunt and uncle away from my parents, I was always at the bottom of my class. But the moment I relocated back home to my parents at Pry 3, I was among those topping the class.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by naturefellow(m): 4:58pm On Nov 30, 2022
cunny88:
She had a golden opportunity to skul abroad which millions of Nigerian are looking for, she misused it and is looking for an opportunity to apportion blame, ppl like me attended public skuls from primary to university level with very minimal supervision, cos our parents were poor, yet we manage to kip our heads above d water. She is the master or her fate and architect of her misfortune.
read to comprehend!

Her parents were physically unavailable.
Physical presence itself doesn't guarantee solid parental guidance or support.

It's not all about golden opportunity of schooling abroad. A teacher, uncle or relative, can't replace a parent. Only few can.
The story of the Chrisland pupil comes to mind.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by cunny88(m): 4:58pm On Nov 30, 2022
zztop:

I somewhat agree with you but disagree with the golden opportunity. My story is a bit similar to hers coming to the UK when I was 17, when Shagari was president and exchange rate £ 1.00 to #1.20. Was able to attend a nice independent school but when the Naira started falling then your status changed from Nigerian middle class to UK working class. You have to attend schools every Tom, Dick and Harry . Back then it was still ok but now those just coming in, you will move your kids from private schools in Nigeria to schooling with kids who's dad is a Jamaica drug dealer, Somalian warlord, to Albania gang member. It is a different world. There is no encouragement in to do well in these schools.

The TV idea of black success is gangster rappers and sport personalities and all the black boys what to emulate them. You ask them what do you want to be when you grow up and they they ask which one pays the most. Their counterpart in Nigeria want to be Doctors, lawyers, engineers, they have access to programme like Cowbellpedia and are encouraged to work harder. There is something about the UK which I call "drifting", which is you wake up, eat and sleep before you know it, the years pass you by and you have not achieved anything!

I came to the UK to do my O-levels but 2 years later still struggling with it. By chance my dad send me a ticket to come home for holiday. (Thank God). I went looking for some of my friends and found they were about to start their second year University. This knocked some serious sense into me. I was really disturb and I couldn't wait to get back to London and just do something. Seven years later, I graduated at age 26 years and felt like an old man. I had admission to study a Master's degree but couldn't raise the funds. If my parents were with me in the UK and working in factory, I am pretty sure they would have help raising the funds.

I think my parent wanted the best for me and did their best, so I can not fault them in anyway. I wouldn't say it is a golden opportunity. It is very difficult if you are not rich. If parents were around they will constantly be on your case to do something useful with your life but having said that not all parents. The new Japa crew have no time for that, and most just constantly working and less time for their kids.

As said in a previous post, my success in the UK has got nothing to do with the UK but with Nigeria! If you lose your Nigeria values then most likely you will be a drifter like the Nigerian woman. In my son school, when it was exam time one of the oyinbo parent withdrew their son saying it will be too stressful for him. Welcome to the UK grin
am really amazed that there still intellectuals like on this platform, I tot all we had here now are just kids

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Talawaka: 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2022
Familyplug:
In the UK so many Nigerian parents have misplaced their priorities, they rather work 24/7 and make all their monies to build mansions in Nigeria at the expense of their children's lives.

So many Nigerian parents in the UK don't even attend parents' evenings at their kid's school, some can't even help their kids with homework. Some believe their kids are at home and they are safe not knowing who is there with them. Some would rather spoil their kids with money & expensive outfits instead of investing quality time in them.

Your experience resonates.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by cunny88(m): 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2022
naturefellow:
read to comprehend!

Her parents were physically unavailable.
Physical presence itself doesn't guarantee solid parental guidance or support.
I understand you, but she had a platform, she had a pedestal, most people did not have someone to send dem to skul yet survived. She made wrong choices and mingled wit bad crowd.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by cunny88(m): 5:08pm On Nov 30, 2022
jimmychang:

Shut the Bleep up.....yen yen yen.Always about me and how I turned out fine.It was not the school my dear,it was her upbringing and no parental figure in her life ti give her direction.Such children end up as miscreants.

At least your parents were poor,they never abandoned you.They still guide you and correct you.You are not better than her still.
I haven't said I turned out fine, her excuse was dat dere was no one around ha, most of us were without guidance in our early years, it's wrong choices she made, it's her fault cos she's d one regretting now

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Mermaid123: 5:27pm On Nov 30, 2022
crood:
Life!

i wish i have a family of my own
I regret not knowing my real family

Oh im so sorry
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by crood: 5:32pm On Nov 30, 2022
Mermaid123:

Oh im so sorry
thank you very much,
its affecting me too much i put myself through handwork now i have graduate but no parent to help me buy a sewing machine to use and sponsor myselfto school.Tears!!!!!!!
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by sundayabuo47: 5:58pm On Nov 30, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK8CEFZEKKo

On her daughter's 5th birthday, a Nigerian woman took the girl to a river where she celebrated it by performing some rituals.

The woman proudly shared the video online, saying that the water actually gave her the child.

Mixed reactions have trailed her video.

"U re involving ur child on what she don't know when she grows. What will happen to her if she did not visit the place u introduce her into," someone said.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by kizxaxa: 6:21pm On Nov 30, 2022
Nigerians and class envy angry, the woman narrate her ordeal na so Una they vex, no be her fault them no born am with eight children for one room. Middle class life different.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Bigtitilayo: 6:33pm On Nov 30, 2022
Is like people don't read to understand dis woman tried she gat strength walahi
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Nov 30, 2022
Jucin17:
That was the work of the devil; she didn't understand what was happening to her at that tender age coupled with the negative peer pressure that surrounded her. So don't blame her, hope u read where she advised parents to raise their children in God's way; meaning that she didn't know this earlier but understanding it now. God will help her
Wetin concern devil with this? She clearly informed that she was left with no supervision and no one to care for her, but here you are spouting "the devil did it" nonsense. lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by winnah(f): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2022
Get one fact clear... She was separated from her parents even before she was 12... Until you are 18 you need to be under the watch of your parents to help mold you to a better person.... U can't undermine the importance of parenting... It's better to raise your child and send him or her abroad to either start first degree or master....
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by AlphaTaikun: 7:21pm On Nov 30, 2022
Familyplug:
A 50-YEAR-OLD NIGERIAN WOMAN SHARES HER REGRETS ABOUT HER PARENTS SENDING HER ABROAD TO SCHOOL AS A TEENAGER.

I came to the UK in the 80s and went to Skinners school for girls in Stamford hill where I failed woefully. I come from a family where going abroad was like going to the market for us. I lived with my sister-in-law who I happened to have appeared to as a burden at the time. I had no one to take me out as a child, didn't enjoy McDonald's treats. I remember being bought KFC once by my mother's younger sister who was in the UK at the time. Most days I had to walk from Pembury estate, Hackney to Stamford hill because I had no transport fee. An uncle got me free school meals from the government so I always had lunch at school but other meals were not guaranteed...

No one ever asked me how I was doing in school even though I was a failure, never disclosed my report sheet because my results were always 'U- Unclassified' worse than F9. I lived at the expense of a few of my brother's friends who were ready to give me £5 in exchange for me seating on their laps whilst they used my nipples as a toy. On a few occasions, my immediate family would give me £5, £10 but NONE EVER TOOK ME ON AS HIS OR HER RESPONSIBILITY. One glorious day, a brother of mine took me on when he noticed that I have been associating with friends that were smoking and sexing at the age of 12 but due to malicious beating every day I had no choice other than to run away from his house. ....

I became streetwise, smoking heavily at the age of 11/12, and did my first abortion at the age of 14/15. I was unable to contact my mother because I had no access to the telephone moreover I didn't know how to use the phones then. I lived with a Jamaican friend who was a few years older than me and we had a man friend aged 50t who was impotent but would pay our rent whenever we allowed him to lick/suck us. Hhhhmmmm I'm sobbing as I'm writing this; I don't know why my spirit has led me to share this horrific and pathetic story but I am sure it is to bless someone out there so I am not ashamed of letting it out because someone outthere will think twice before making the mistake my family made.

I and friends began to find it easy to befriend men for money at night clubs (Gullivers, Petter Stringfellows, etc) at a very young age which I found disgusting, they molested my body orally. I can't even carry on expressing my bitter past experiences because I have learnt to see them as the strengths that made me who I am today...

The Koko of this post is this... Now in the UK, we see Nigerian children killing, shooting, stabbing, selling drugs, raping, etc and we wonder why they are ridiculing our darling country's name... Hhhhmmmm it is not the kids' fault it is the fault of the parents that weren't ready to prioritize their priorities.

I can't blame my mother and neither can I blame my father because they thought sending me abroad to school was the best for me. They also trusted my siblings and didn’t like to get involved in the way they were raising us. They believed when you give a goat to someone, you let go of the rope. They didn't know their darling daughter had become something else.....

You may be boosting that your child lives in London, America, etc but do you ever ask yourself how life is treating them where they are??

So many parents in Nigeria believe the field is greener on the other side forgetting that NO ONE CAN TRAIN YOUR KIDS THE WAY YOU CAN EXCEPT LOVING & GOD-FEARING PEOPLE.

Sending your kids abroad to be looked after by someone else is a pure waste of time and bringing your kids from 9ja without giving them all the time needed is an irresponsible move and to be working all God-sent hours, making sterling, dollars, and euros, naira, etc without spending quality time with your kids is a disgrace to parenthood.

This is one of our bad irresponsible cultures even back home ….most children in Nigeria were brought up by housemaids/gatemen/next door/grandmothers/neighbors etc. Some Nigerians don't believe in family planning rather they will have so many children and start using them to hawk sweets, bread, etc after school...

Having a child is not by force, God did not say YOU MUST HAVE CHILDREN, YES HE STATED 'MULTIPLY' but he didn't mean we should do it to suffer for them. Having children does not mean you will live your life joyfully and it doesn't give you a place in heaven either, instead, your children may make you miss heaven if care is not taken.

I am a product of a neglected, nonchalant, cultural upbringing and I WILL NEVER WISH IT ON MY GREATEST ENEMY BECAUSE I HAD IT ROUGH AND IN SADNESS.

Let us stop being selfish and stop pushing our problems/burdens on others. Your child should be with you no matter how poor or rich you are and you must teach them in the ways of God.

Some parents in Nigeria, have children in Diaspora and know nothing about their life , only the fact that their child is abroad.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by naturefellow(m): 8:05pm On Nov 30, 2022
cunny88:
I understand you, but she had a platform, she had a pedestal, most people did not have someone to send dem to skul yet survived. She made wrong choices and mingled wit bad crowd.
not bad crowd... rather bad influences, of which her extended family was part and parcel of.
In fact, her entire immediate environment was not helping. School may have been her only saving grace. But it takes determined kids to let the influence of good interaction in school alone prevail in their lives.
No one is perfect, neither holiest.

I particularly admire the courage it took in telling her story, especially to serve as a warning to others. She's mentally strong to do this, rather than probably go commit suicide.
When there's life there's hope. And with will, there's a way.

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Qurungu: 9:23pm On Nov 30, 2022
cunny88:
all through university I didn't av any1 wit me, in high skul days my parents weren't wit me either, but I knew I had learnt no trade and education was my only route of poverty, u should be asking her were ha skuls mates are now.

The culture in Nigeria safeguards kids to a large extent even when parents aren’t present. The lesson in what she’s saying is that parry need to be present in their children’s lives in a real way and not just think giving them money is the be all and end all.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Qurungu: 9:26pm On Nov 30, 2022
winnah:
Get one fact clear... She was separated from her parents even before she was 12... Until you are 18 you need to be under the watch of your parents to help mold you to a better person.... U can't undermine the importance of parenting... It's better to raise your child and send him or her abroad to either start first degree or master....

Even leaving at 18 can be very challenging. The UK of the 80’s is not the UK of now. I’ve once lived there as an adult, it isn’t what they show in movies. I was homesick, I wanted to run back home. I wanted to return and smell cows and goats again; it was that bad. Home is home.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by merits(m): 9:48pm On Nov 30, 2022
Familyplug:

With all your plenty grammar now,how are your parents?have contact them so far?or you are still hiding?

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Sweetvie: 9:58pm On Nov 30, 2022
Hmmm
I feel for the Op
But lemme just say she have a unless brothers and spoilt.
One thing we need to all get straight is that parent cant teach us everything. There's some certain things we need to learn and know on our own. @11 or so she can't tell me she doesn't av basic knowledge of sex n what private part means... So what are you telling me?
Your brother friends tease ur nipple for£5 and you don't know that's wrong or what? Coz I don't understand. As a girl from a rich family she'd av basic knowledge of everything thru internet or sex education. Even a girl of 10yr old know what sex is. So she basically mean traveling out make her fail n live a useless life?
And the parent, they are just one of those parent who believe in giving their children the best and thought the education they gave from home is enough.
Forget it... A child that will go astray will go astray. No remedy.
If am to blame anyone... I blame the parent for not telling her money is not everything and to get money work for it legally. I blame the op coz she is just wannabe who forget her root and all the home training. I blame the brother coz they're useless and they're suppose to be protective infact overprotective.

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by fineberry(m): 10:06pm On Nov 30, 2022
cunny88:
Bro, God bless you for this......all my educational jorney is public school all the way....my parent never attended PTA meeting....but person still believe in good attitude to live and being responsible, mowing at the end its for your own greater good.

Once again, thanks for this

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by jimcaddy(m): 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2022
You see the problem I have with Nigerians is that when we have money like this, we tend to do what the society wants us to do, or compete with Mr So So So or Mrs So So So. My child is abroad, I can send my child too abroad. Not even knowing how they fared, not bothering to check on them, not knowing the type of companies they keep. At that age, a child is very vulnerable and trust men to take advantage once that child is female. But sadly the trend seems to be getting worse still as many Nigerian parents are just satisfied with making money and all and neglecting their children.

1 Like

Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Nov 30, 2022
winnah:
Bingo! undecided
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by Kobojunkie: 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2022
Qurungu:
Even leaving at 18 can be very challenging. The UK of the 80’s is not the UK of now. I’ve once lived there as an adult, it isn’t what they show in movies. I was homesick, I wanted to run back home. I wanted to return and smell cows and goats again; it was that bad. Home is home.
I didn't leave home until my mid-twenties and even then I was stil scared and longing to return to the safety of my home. undecided
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by maasoap(m): 7:53am On Dec 01, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You can't blame your own parents but you want us to believe parents are to blame? Your parents did pretty much all of that which the other parents did, so why exempt them from blame? undecided

Don't mind her, I saw her hypocrisy too. She practically defeated the purpose of her message
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by E2000: 7:57am On Dec 01, 2022
complexBoss12:
Why do I get the feeling that kids in Africa, nay Nigeria, are the strongest in the world. In most Nigerian homes nobody cares about your mental state, none of all these spoon feeding. infact, your parents insult, beat and abuse the living day light out you, but most still turn out okay.

This is not to trivialize her experience, just the other side of it, I would never mock her pain.
Look around you. We are not okay. Our informal education system is an Abomination.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by okwusdaddy: 8:28am On Dec 01, 2022
cunny88:
all through university I didn't av any1 wit me, in high skul days my parents weren't wit me either, but I knew I had learnt no trade and education was my only route of poverty, u should be asking her were ha skuls mates are now.
Are you saying that her parents did a good job with her or there is no need for good parenting in our society,i don't understand.
Re: 50-Year-Old Nigerian Shares Her Regrets About Her Parents Sending Her Abroad by femijay8271(m): 11:52am On Dec 01, 2022
Nekky5:
Life!

i wish i have a family of my own
I regret not knowing my real family

All will be Well?

Hello Nekky, can we be friends?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I'm Sleeping With My Brother In Law / Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees / Am I A Failure? Please Rate Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.