Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,317 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80294 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ah i see. so did you get your israeli passport yet? they must be craving for you to come there so they can kiss your dirty divine feet. .
I SHALL GET IT WHEN THE AMALEKITES IN THE LAND WHO ARE PRETENDING TO BE JEWS ( REVELATION 2 VS 9 ) ( REVELATION 3 VS 9 ) GET KICKED OUT IN THE SECOND COMING. THEN THE REAL JEWS WILL BE RETURNED TO THE LAND. AND LET ME WARN YOU AINT GONE BE NONE OF THIS WALKING AROUND BUTT NEKKID FOOLISHNESS GOING ON IN THE HOLY LAND angry WE SHALL ALL BE COVERED AND DIGNIFIED WITH AN AURA OF DIGNITY ABOUT US.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by coolzeal(m): 11:02am On Apr 24, 2013
mimifonwon:

bia nna have you been smoking onugbu leaves?, because you are very confused, yes there are minority tribes that dwell in nsukka, but just like ikwerre's the majority of people who live in that area are igbos, and or have igbo blood line. Stop denying yourself, it wont help you in the future.

Well am just telling you that we are not Igbo and i have never heard any of my relatives that call themselves Igbo either, we're Nsukka and our culture, language and belief system is totally different from Igbos. Anyway when i come back to Naija, i will ask my kinsmen the origin of Nsukka people.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Vincent41(m): 11:12am On Apr 24, 2013
[quote author=odumchi]The next few pictures will begin to deal with the masculine societies of the Igbos. The first picture is of the "ikperikpe" war dance. Such a dance was performed before and after a war by warriors of Arochukwu, Ohafia, Afikpo and Abiriba and a few other neighbouring communities. The dance was meant to please the ancestors so as to grant the warriors victory during war.

[/quote

i love Igbo Land
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lilimax(f): 11:16am On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin HOWEVER I AM A HEBREW ISRAELITE FIRST. I DO NOT TAKE ON OR ASSUME PRIMITIVE CUSTOMS LIKE THE YORUBAS AND IGBOS DO. BOTH CULTURES ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN HEATHENS. THE CULTURE IS FILTHY. I AM ABOVE THE YORUBA OR IGBO CULTURE. I AM WALKING IN THE CULTURE WE HAD BEFORE PUTTING ON THE HEATHEN LIFESTYLE. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PICTURES IN THE THREAD, THE IGBO PEOPLE ARE A DESTROYED PEOPLE, AS WELL AS THE YORUBA OF COURSE. WALKING AROUND BUTT NEKKID LIKE SAVAGES. LIKE SOME GADDEM HAMITES FROM ETHIOPIA OR SOMALIA OR SUDAN. THATS WHOSE CULTURE YOU HAVE NOW. HAMITIC CULTURE
Obadiah, you've started with your ranting abi Good morning wink
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 24, 2013
Lilimax: Obadiah, you've started with your ranting abi Good morning wink
grin grin grin LILIMAX MY NDIGBO QUEEN KEDU KODI grin grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lilimax(f): 11:18am On Apr 24, 2013
coolzeal:

Well am just telling you that we are not Igbo and i have never heard any of my relatives that call themselves Igbo either, we're Nsukka and our culture, language and belief system is totally different from Igbos. Anyway when i come back to Naija, i will ask our kinsmen the origin of Nsukka people.
What are you talking about Nsukka people are full fleshed Igbo . I hope you were not fed with ara efi . Better come home and get your facts right before ranting jargons.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lilimax(f): 11:20am On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin grin LILIMAX MY NDIGBO QUEEN KEDU KODI grin grin
I'm good my ofe mmanu friend cheesy
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 24, 2013
Lilimax: I'm good my ofe mmanu friend cheesy
grin grin grin MY ISI-EWU FRIEND. NDO
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by mrperfect(m): 11:59am On Apr 24, 2013
A lot to be learned here, welcome guys.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bokohalal(m): 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THE OSU WERE ONCE PRIVELEGED, RESPECTED AND FEARED PEOPLE DEDICATED TO THE GODS.

HOWEVER WHEN CHRISTIANITY CAME, ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE OLD TRUE GODS, WAS CONSIDERED DEVILISH AND OUTCASTE. THIS IS WHY YOU IGBOS TODAY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THEM.

BAN CHRISTIANITY, RESTORE THE DIGNITY OF THE OSU.
BAN CHRISTIANITY, . .. . SAVE NAIJA.

Ban religion. Islam,Christianity,TRs etc. Imagine!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
bokohalal:

Ban religion. Islam,Christianity,TRs etc. Imagine!

no not TRs. TRs are part of the National Identity. If you ban TRs , you will have to ban the tribes and the culture aswell.

only ban the foreign religions.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lilimax(f): 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

only ban the foreign religions.
Which are foreign religion?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lilimax(f): 12:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin grin MY ISI-EWU FRIEND. NDO
I am suspecting you seriously grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Irritant: 12:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: it seems ur Gods are playing Techno drums in ur head,wettin concern benin n yoruba with ur Nri crap?what a mugu write up by an Obviously mugu person...tweeeeeeew.. U better find sleep....

You see what happens when you disrespect your father is you get disciplined and discipline can come in different forms. Just because i am an Nri decendant doesnt mean you owe me gratitude but we must learn how to humble ourselves and accept the truth. Do you know that Yoruba didnt have anything like days of the week,months of the year like Igbo do. Without Nri your forefathers will just be like these Yorubas. Benin kingdom used Nri week days and the Ikenga deity was worshipped by both Uhrobo,Bini,Aro and Igala. Swallow your pride and at least pay homage to Nri. All these your fellow southern Igbo who are here running their fingers has used Nri as a beacon of pride whenever they are ridiculled by tribalists from other tribe how would they now come and tried to neglet nor denigrate her. Imagine telling an Igbo history and begins with Aro masqurade. It brings shame to Igboland because Aro has a bad reputation and is not really known for their deep history nor their cultural flamboyance
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by babestell(f): 12:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
Abagworo:

Its either you are not Igbo or you are one of those surrounded by non-Igbos that tell you lies about your tradition and you believe them. Osu has been done away with in Igboland but there still exists pockets of hardliners and FYI it was only marriage and title taking that the Osu couldn't engage with non-Osu. Its same as some families till today refusing to marry Catholics because they are Pentecostal or Catholics refusing to give Knighthood to a Protestant.

Am proudly Igbo and I am talking from experience. I know a lot of young couples who faced and are facing challenges just because one of them is Osu. Please don't say it has been done away with There are a lot of communities where the practice is still held to and it usually comes to fore when marriage is being discussed (that's why I called it hypocrisy). I know the church has really tried stamp it out, but a lot of people are stuck in their ways. Also in the olden days being Osu went beyond just marriage and chieftaincy...In some places Osu was a second class citizen. And when I say olden I don't mean last century.

You cannot compare it to the bolded for the reason that the degree of humiliation is far greater in the osu case. Am catholic and I hope to marry a catholic but that doesn't mean I can embarrass or humiliate or deny a protestant his fundamental rights or force them to live in segregated communities. In the Osu case it was possible to do such to them.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bokohalal(m): 1:04pm On Apr 24, 2013
Lilimax: Which are foreign religion?

Ha!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
Lilimax: Which are foreign religion?

islam/christianity/judaism.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ceebo1420(m): 2:51pm On Apr 24, 2013
[quote author=mimifonwon]because we are proud of our self we don't need to b of the same parent before we show love to each other
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
mimifonwon: am sorry i dont know if this is a positive or negative, but i have never met any group or tribe as proud as igbos. I cherish my igbo side, but sometimes it just gets tooo much. I mean i understand a people once suppressed to almost extinction will always glorify when they can and there is nothing wrong with that, but it gets too much. Like for example, my cousins met these igbo young guys like them at the newark airport and first thing they shouted after speaking to eachother was " ahhh my brothers, nna nyem aka, ndi igbo kwenu...kwezue.unu...." and they all made a scene with their replies, i was kinda of embarrassed as they shook hand. I couldnt look up from where i sat, and most of the people in the airport was looking at them. One oyibo couple asked them, so are you guys family. My cousins laughed and told them, that they were just meeting their fellow igbo people for the first time. The oyibo husband was amazed and just looked astonished. So i ask why do "we"( i say us cuz am partly a member of the igbo bloodline) feel the need to let everyone know that we are igbo all the time. What do you guys gain from the display of overzealous pride? sometimes you guys confuse me.
At the highlited, imagine the stupidity, the insult.

Very dumb post. If anything, it's a Nigerian thing to shout greetings at each other. The problem with this very dumb post is which person isn't proud of his tribe? So when we greet somebody in our local language, it translates an overzealous display of pride? The Yorubas do it, the Hausas do it, the Binis do it. Stop trying to tie it to just Igbos. Even if the people who shouted at the airport were Igbos, does it mean all Igbos shout like that?

We don't confuse you, you confuse yourself.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ceebo1420(m): 2:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
Lilimax: What are you talking about Nsukka people are full fleshed Igbo . I hope you were not fed with ara efi . Better come home and get your facts right before ranting jargons.
mr man you are igbo so wake up from where you like wise the abakeleke pple too are igbo
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by kwajahafiz(m): 3:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: THERE IS NOTHING MARVELLOUS ABOUT ALL THIS NONSENSE. THESE ARE IGBO CULTURES AFTER THE FACT. THESE ARE ALL BABYLONIAN AND EGYPTIAN IDOLATRY VOODOO PAGAN NONSENSE THAT YOU ACQUIRED ALONG THE WAY. THE REAL IGBO CULTURE IS THE SCRIPTURES, AND DRESSING MODESTLY COVERING ALL YOUR BODY. WHAT IS SHOWN IN THOSE PICTURES IS AN ABOMINATION. YOU PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE REAL JEWS THAT RAN INTO IGBOLAND IN 70 AD AFTER THE ROMAN ARMY KICKED YOU OUT OF JERUSALEM. SAME WITH THE YORUBAS. ALL THESE PICTURES ARE AN ABOMINATION. WALKING AROUND HALF NEKKID WITH B-REAST ALL OUT AND PAGAN STUFFS ALL AROUND. angry

bro..u dont forget take ur medicine again?.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
ItsModella:
At the highlited, imagine the stupidity, the insult.

Very dumb post. If anything, it's a Nigerian thing to shout greetings at each other. The problem with this very dumb post is which person isn't proud of his tribe? So when we greet somebody in our local language, it translates an overzealous display of pride? The Yorubas do it, the Hausas do it, the Binis do it. Stop trying to tie it to just Igbos. Even if the people who shouted at the airport were Igbos, does it mean all Igbos shout like that?

We don't confuse you, you confuse yourself.

That girl aint worth a response cos her post reeks of self consciousness which panders on pride and low self esteem. Far from sounding tribalistic the Yorubas shouts the loudest if you'v ever been close to them while discussing. Her cousins she spoke of simply were carried away by the joy of meeting old buddies(language of communication aside). Could she have whined if they had choosen to communicate in English but fail to contain their happiness at meeting each other which offcourse will not lack noises and shouts that comes with the amazement at seeing old buddies? If she had bumped into an old and dear friend in that airport what would have been her response? Obviously, her self consciousness and low self esteem caused her percieved shame not the innocent language used!

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 3:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
babestell:

You cannot compare it to the bolded for the reason that the degree of humiliation is far greater in the osu case. Am catholic and I hope to marry a catholic but that doesn't mean I can embarrass or humiliate or deny a protestant his fundamental rights or force them to live in segregated communities. In the Osu case it was possible to do such to them.

Nobody knows who is Osu or not until marriage. So everything you wrote are all fabricated. Tell me where this happens. For example at my age I don't know any Osu. The only time I've heard of it was when a friend of mine wanted to get married and her father did thorough investigation and discovered her fiance was Osu and refused to give out his daughter even when the Church and his wife were pleading with him. I also had a friend from Oraukwu in Anambra State whose Dad said she must marry a Catholic from Oraukwu because he's a Knight. She dated an Anglican from Awka for years and even abscounded with him only for her Dad to arrest him and take back the daughter. So stop trying to paint a false picture of Osu.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salt1: 4:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
nwando: Igbos love who they are so much ,I think they are the only tribe in Nigeria that proudly answer it in their names

Last names like

Igbo

igboka. Igbos are the greatest

Igbokwe. Igbos respond

Igbogbahaka

Igbondu. Life for Igbos

Igboerika Igbos are many

Ezeigbo. King of the Igbos

Igboamaeze Igbos know no kings

Njubuigbo.

Igbodike. Igbos are powerful

Okigbo. The great Igbo

Ifedigbo there is something in Igbos

Igboemeka. Igbos have done well

Igboamalu. Igbos have known

onuigbo. The mouthpiece of Igbos

Oluigbo. the voice that speaks for Igbos

NwaIgbo. The son of An Igbo

smiley

I have heard girl names like Adaigbo. ..... Igbo daughter

Good discovery. I never thought of it. I've never heard a name with the other tribes in it. Let me add some more

Ozuruigbo
Onuigbo

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salt1: 4:13pm On Apr 24, 2013
coolzeal:

Well am just telling you that we are not Igbo and i have never heard any of my relatives that call themselves Igbo either, we're Nsukka and our culture, language and belief system is totally different from Igbos. Anyway when i come back to Naija, i will ask my kinsmen the origin of Nsukka people.

This is the usual attitude of people living in border towns. Even Afikpo and Abakaliki refer to others as Igbos. Just because there is more cultural and linguistic mix which pushes them away from the core doesn't make them not Igbos.

But if you feel so strongly about this, next time you hear "Igbo bu Igbo kwenu" (Igbos who are real Igbos, respond), you can keep quiet. They are already using such greetings in Rivers and parts of Delta.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by phreakabit(m): 4:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

judaism came before christianity. it is independant.

Thats what I am trying to stress. Judaism is not Christianity. It is actually old testament "Christianity" for lack of a better description. But can't be referred to as Christianity because Christ wasn't born then. So most of its "practitioner" were Godly men not Christians.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 5:08pm On Apr 24, 2013
salt 1:

This is the usual attitude of people living in border towns. Even Afikpo and Abakaliki refer to others as Igbos. Just because there is more cultural and linguistic mix which pushes them away from the core doesn't make them not Igbos.

But if you feel so strongly about this, next time you hear "Igbo bu Igbo kwenu" (Igbos who are real Igbos, respond), you can keep quiet. They are already using such greetings in Rivers and parts of Delta.

I beg of you, I've never heard nor seen any Ehugbo deny being Igbo. Maybe Abakaliki and Nsukka do. The truth is that 90% of Igbos never accepted that name but we know who we mean when talking about Igbos. Everyone has a name for others and were very independent in belief and dialect until the Europeans used that nomenclature and we accepted it.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by phreakabit(m): 5:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THE OSU WERE ONCE PRIVELEGED, RESPECTED AND FEARED PEOPLE DEDICATED TO THE GODS.

HOWEVER WHEN CHRISTIANITY CAME, ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE OLD TRUE GODS, WAS CONSIDERED DEVILISH AND OUTCASTE. THIS IS WHY YOU IGBOS TODAY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THEM.

BAN CHRISTIANITY, RESTORE THE DIGNITY OF THE OSU.
BAN CHRISTIANITY, . .. . SAVE NAIJA.

Wouldn't it benefit you more to bother about your tribe and leave the Igbo race alone?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
Great thread @ the starter
Igbo Ndi oma Ekene m
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 24, 2013
Another good observation is how Igbos describe organic or opposites as Igbo

For instance there is nama,the cows reared by Fulanis and the other cow is called Efi Igbo or Ehi Igbo ( Igbo cows)
There is Ewu Awusa ( Hausa goats) then the regular shorter legged ones are called Ewu Igbo
Okuko agriculture ( agric fowls) and okuko Igbo
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
Keduzi ka unu siri hapu isiokwu 'marvellous culture of the igbos' banyezie n'ihe ozo.
@ Odumchi, e che m na i na egosibu anyi ihe mana ugbua unu na a nuzi ogu ebea.

Ozo di ka ibe ya, hapugodinu nke ka nke, Aro ma obu Nri. E nwepu na m ejeghi akwukwo, agaghi m ama di ihe bu Nri sef .

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.