Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! (565 Views)

Strict Parents Raise The Best Children. / Share Your Funniest Experience While Growing Up / Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by hergists(f): 8:16pm On Nov 29, 2022
When I was a kid, my mum was very tough on me. It got to a stage where I was doubting if she was truly the one who gave birth to me (lol). But now, as a mother, I am glad that she "trained" me the African way. I understand that it was tough love and I can see myself training my child using some of her methods.

I shared my experience growing up in an African home in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bv4F8rcaqc

So, how were you raised by your African parents? Kindly share your experience while growing up.
Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by hergists(f): 10:21am On Dec 03, 2022
African parents are just special in their own ways.

1 Like

Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by hergists(f): 10:22am On Dec 03, 2022
cheesy
Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 03, 2022
Being the youngest in my family with 4 siblings, I got away with most of the things in the house.. grin grin grin

Most of the time I somehow managed to have things my way because my parents were hardly home, they'd leave in the morning and come back at night.

I think having 5 kids drained my mother to a point that she became soft.. whenever my siblings would report me to her, most of the time she'd just give me a serious look and not say anything, or she'd try to talk to me in a calm way.

Apparently she used to be very strict and she would beat the hell out of my siblings, but I've never seen that side of her... Sometimes I find it hard to believe.

The only time I saw her beating someone in the house was when she slapped my sister for forgetting to fetch me from school when I was still in primary.

1 Like

Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by hergists(f): 11:43pm On Dec 08, 2022
Samantha123:
Being the youngest in my family with 4 siblings, I got away with most of the things in the house.. grin grin grin

Most of the time I somehow managed to have things my way because my parents were hardly home, they'd leave in the morning and come back at night.

I think having 5 kids drained my mother to a point that she became soft.. whenever my siblings would report me to her, most of the time she'd just give me a serious look and not say anything, or she'd try to talk to me in a calm way.

Apparently she used to be very strict and she would beat the hell out of my siblings, but I've never seen that side of her... Sometimes I find it hard to believe.

The only time I saw her beating someone in the house was when she slapped my sister for forgetting to fetch me from school when I was still in primary.

Lucky you. I noticed this in most families. The last borns, most times, don't get to experience the aggressiveness of parents.

Last borns are mostly trained by the other siblings.
Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by rabiluhauwa: 11:57pm On Dec 08, 2022
"New Trick": Mother Buys Microphone for Her Baby to Use for Crying, Video of Kid's Reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9HJ2tWI8TU
Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by Nobody: 1:08am On Dec 09, 2022
Hmm... As for mine, their parenting style was a combination of both strict and permissive styles. They were the most loving and caring parents but don't hesitate to discipline us whenever we erred. So it sort of striked a balance and not make us feel a certain way about them whenever they disciplined us or make us feel entitled or over pampered whenever they showed us love.

Though my Mom tends to overdo it sometimes with the strictness by always smacking at the slightest, but my dad would always try to tone it down by stepping in immediately to caution her so it doesn't get abusive.

Above all, I think I experienced the best parenting style and it made us turn out so well that today, even though they are no more, we know just how well to behave and manage tough situations on our own just like we would if they were here.
Re: How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! by hergists(f): 10:02pm On Dec 23, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Hmm... As for mine, their parenting style was a combination of both strict and permissive styles. They were the most loving and caring parents but didn't hesitate to discipline us whenever we erred. So it sort of struck a balance and did not make us feel a certain way about them whenever they disciplined us or make us feel entitled or over-pampered whenever they showed us love.

Though my Mom sometimes overdoes it with strictness by constantly smacking at the slightest, my dad would always try to tone it down by stepping in immediately to caution her so it doesn't get abusive.

Above all, I think I experienced the best parenting style and it made us turn out so well that today, even though they are no more, we know just how well to behave and manage tough situations on our own just like we would if they were here.

Nice. I love this.

(1) (Reply)

I Gain Myself / . / Nigerian Man Raised Alarm Over The Rate At Which Nigerians Marry Foreigner. Vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.