Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . (1035 Views)

My 83-Year-old Father Is Getting Married To A 60-Year-Old Lady / I Punished My Wife By Sleeping With Her Younger Sister - Nigerian Father Of Two / Nigerian Father Employs His Son As Security Man In His Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Familyplug(f): 11:54am On Nov 30, 2022
A 60 YEAR OLD NIGERIAN FATHER SHARES HIS REGRET ON PARENTING

I got married at 25, finished my PhD at 35 and became a Professor at 40.

So fast you see! Yes, everything around me worked fast. It is now that I realize that it was a misplaced priority.

My ambition blindfolded me and I got it all wrong, that is why I am sharing my experience through this medium to warn and encourage our young fathers not to be careless as I was back then.

I worked very hard as a lecturer and as an administrator, always so busy that it became my language to my children and wife..."I'm busy"

My wife was around to nurse the children for me for some time. The moment they clocked ten, I sent them to boarding schools, though my wife was not in support of this. I always found my way.

I had no warm relationship with my children, 2 boys and a girl.

I never knew it was a bad idea not to have time for my wife, children and the household, until 5 years ago, when guilt, loneliness and restlessness filled my heart.

I sent for my children to rejoice with me on my 60th birthday.

The two boys, living in Canada said they are "busy" and that their sister will come down from South Africa.

Two days to my birthday, my daughter sent this message to me, "Dad, I am very sorry not to be around over there, there is no time to squeeze out, my husband needs my attention at his newly established clinic and presently, I'm pregnant. "I'm very very busy,
I'm also lonely in a strange land. Please pray for us dad. Happy birthday". I could not recover from the meaning I got from the message.. "First-things-First". When they needed me for warmth and discussion, I was not available, now I needed them for warmth and discussion I could not get them, rather they returned my slogan back to me, "I'm busy"

To worsen the matter, my dear wife died in her sleep a month after. ...Only one of the children came ​without​ his family to the burial ceremony.

I was dumbfounded!!! Considered Opinion: it is good to work and be a hard working fellow.
But hear this important and salient truth:

Parenting is sacrificial work, give it all it takes. Avoid any work that will take away your attention too much from your home - Avoid it and be careful!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by ibechris(m): 12:03pm On Nov 30, 2022
Great work
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by polime: 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2022
Thanks for the brilliant words sir. Your time was better, you see this new generation of parents we have will make worse mistakes most especially social media mum's and drunkard father's.
Thanks once again Daddy

6 Likes

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by MMempire(m): 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2022
Thanks for the advice. Many of us make this same mistake. I will try to do my best to be a good and supporting father.

4 Likes

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by descarado: 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2022
Tell them. We think that financial provision is training.

1 Like

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Lastpharoah33: 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2022
Interesting,
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Karleb(m): 12:52pm On Nov 30, 2022
Some of you guys are just bad at parenting but you'd never say this.

2 Likes

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by PaLiam: 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2022
Parenting is one important aspect of marriage. If neglected at the earlier stage, the end isn’t always good.

Thanks for the beautiful advice.

3 Likes

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Justkatty(f): 2:10pm On Nov 30, 2022
Parenting isn't just about providing at all times
It goes beyond that..... anyways lesson learnt.

1 Like

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Familyplug(f): 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2022
It's for us to learn and not repeat the same mistake.

1 Like

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Houseofglam7(f): 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2022
Informative. Kinda thought Twas a similar thread to going to the UK and having one’s nipples licked for rent money.
cool
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Echonosenny: 5:00pm On Nov 30, 2022
Are you not happy that your children are successful?
What if you showered all the attention on them and they ended up wayward. You'll still come here to complain bitterly that you have cows for children..
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Rubbiish(m): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2022
Your children are not in Nigeria, even if u won the award for the best dad, u don't expect them to come for simple things as birthday. Distance is already an issue. I always tell people, when kids grow up, they will also face their own family, i see nothing wrong in what ur daughter did. I don't see anything that has to do with bad parenting here

2 Likes

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Rubbiish(m): 7:01pm On Nov 30, 2022
Justkatty:
Parenting isn't just about providing at all times
It goes beyond that..... anyways lesson learnt.
There is absolute no lessons to learn here
The man is just being sentimental & taking things out of proportion. That his children should leave whatever they are doing & come for simple things as birthday? All my friends abroad only come home for burial & not all o. I am yet to see any that came for ordinary birthday. It is more of a distance issue & not bad parenting. The children still communicate with him, even the daughter had to apologize. Even daughters in Nigeria hardly visit home, let alone a married one in South Africa & she even sent a detailed explanation.
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Rubbiish(m): 7:06pm On Nov 30, 2022
Echonosenny:
What if you showered all the attention on them and they ended up wayward. You'll still come here to complain bitterly that you have cows for children..
Exactly!
The man is just being petty
Expecting ur kids to travel all the way from Canada just for birthday. Even those in the cities here, how many can go to their villages to celebrate birthday with their parents. Let alone someone abroad, this has nothing to do with bad parenting abeg
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by kaptaintintin: 10:05pm On Nov 30, 2022
A man is never appreciated let it be the woman's birthday and see everybody gathering... We men are lonely in the world, even with us hustling all round the clock. Know this know and know peace. Don't let your children be ur retirement plan.

2 Likes

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 30, 2022
It's always in old age they get to realize their mistakes by what time its too late wouldn't matter anymore.
Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2022
polime:
Thanks for the brilliant words sir. Your time was better, you see this new generation of parents we have will make worse mistakes most especially social media mum's and drunkard father's.
Thanks once again Daddy
Most of the "new generation parents" you speak of learned the same from their parents before them, the one's l whose time you are quick to insinuate was better.undecided

The cycle is what the OP is trying to get you to see. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A 60 Year Old Nigerian Father Shares His Regret On Parenting . by Kobojunkie: 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2022
Echonosenny:
Where did you get that his kids are successful abeg? undecided

(1) (Reply)

He Found The Truth About Her Virginity On Their Wedding Night, And This Happened / It is well / Mothers Stop Being A Liability In That Home Of Yours From Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.