Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:50 AM

SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) (534 Views)

SA President Cyril Ramaphosa Wears Palestinian Scarf, Pledges Solidarity (PICS) / South African President Ramaphosa Stares At Sindisiwe Chikunga Backside / Schoolgirl Too Comfortable With SA President Ramaphosa In Viral Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 1:51am On Dec 01, 2022
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa could be impeached after an independent panel found he "may be guilty of a serious violation" of the country's constitution.

The panel, appointed by the speaker of South Africa's parliament, found "prima facie" evidence that Ramaphosa violated his oath of office and breached anti-corruption laws.

The president is under fire over an alleged cover-up of a robbery that took place at his private farm, Phala Phala, in 2020.

An estimated $4 million (€3.85 million) was taken during the robbery, raising questions about how the president acquired the cash and whether he declared it.

Ramaphosa denied any wrongdoing

"I categorically deny that I have violated this oath in any way, and I similarly deny that I am guilty of any of the allegations made against me,” Ramaphosa said in a statement issued by the South African presidency.

"The conclusions of the panel require careful reading and appropriate consideration in the interest of the stability of government and that of the country," the presidency added.

He previously had said the cash was from proceeds from the sales of game.

Parliament will examine the findings in a one-day sitting on December 6 when it will decide whether to push ahead with a vote to impeach the president.

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 1:52am On Dec 01, 2022
Ramaphosa's mysterious millions

The robbery was first brought to light in June by Arthur Fraser, the country's former head of the State Security Agency and a close ally of South Africa's disgraced former President Jacob Zuma.

Fraser alleged robbers targeted Ramaphosa's game farm in the northern Limpopo province, where they found $4 million in foreign currency hidden inside furniture.

The criminals were apprehended and the money recovered from them, the affidavit says, but the men were then paid to buy their silence.

Fraser opened a case against Ramaphosa and senior police officials responsible for the president's security.

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 1:56am On Dec 01, 2022
Battle for reelection

The allegations have tarnished Ramaphosa's reputation and overshadowed his bid for reelection to the helm of the ANC.

National Assembly Speaker Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula appointed the panel in September to assess whether or not he has a case to answer.

Wednesday's report comes only two weeks before the ANC convenes to elect new leadership in December.

According to ANC rules, anyone charged with corruption or other crimes must step down while criminal investigations take place.

Ramaphosa has not yet been formally charged with any crimes but supporters of his rival Jacob Zuma want him to resign.

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by Yankee101: 1:57am On Dec 01, 2022
You catch thieves and then pay them to be silent?
Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by youngbabaj(m): 1:58am On Dec 01, 2022
I love Africa
Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by chatinent: 2:29am On Dec 01, 2022
Africans sha. Stealing is part of our mineral resources.
Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 2:37am On Dec 01, 2022
chatinent:
Africans sha. Stealing is part of our mineral resources.

Is it really an African thing?

Remind me again why Donald Trump refuses to declare his tax affairs undecided Must be the 'African' in him.

Anyway, Ramaphosa is yet to defend his actions before parliament, so we'll decide his guilt then.
Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by DonFreshmoney(m): 2:45am On Dec 01, 2022
I see Jacob Zuma hand in this..

1 Like

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by Treasure17(m): 3:01am On Dec 01, 2022
Can someone please impeach Buhari for us.

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 3:09am On Dec 01, 2022
Prominent politicians call for Ramaphosa to step down

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Faces Impeachment Over Farm Robbery 'Coverup' (PICS) by soberdrunk(m): 3:23am On Dec 01, 2022
After investigating Ramaphosa they should also look into the level of armed robbery in South Africa, it has become something else. South Africa has become the armed robbery capital of Africa...... angry

(1) (Reply)

UN Approves Resolution Calling For Russia To Leave Ukraine / Countries In Africa Owned By China? / Prophesy War In Israel Vs Iran Vs Syria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.