Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,916 members, 7,863,199 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:56 PM

Did Nigeria Perform Best At Athletics During Militery Rule? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did Nigeria Perform Best At Athletics During Militery Rule? (703 Views)

Nigeria Wins Women's 4x400m Gold At The African Athletics Championships / Nigeria Wins Gold In The Men's 4x100m At The African Athletics Championships / Did Nigeria Threaten Mali To Lose The Match ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Did Nigeria Perform Best At Athletics During Militery Rule? by Litmus: 9:36pm On Aug 27, 2011
Watching the Athletics world championship in Daegu, South Kore, can I ask, where did all those short, dry foot men who could not even qualify from their preliminary group rounds come from? Surly not Nigeria!

I switched on the television late and caught a hundred metres preliminary round in progress. I saw one short black man with dry legs running furiously second to last. I was going to laugh thinking that the man was probably from Vanuatu or Papua New Guinea when I saw that his outfit looked Nigerian.

There was a time when if a Nigerian unknown athlete lined up on the track your heart would skip a beat because more often than not, unknown Nigerian athletes’ spring surprises and win, confounding the expectation of the world. I notice that this was the case during military rule in Nigeria.

In fact it looks as if Nigerians best sporting period in recent decades was during military rule. My question is why?
Re: Did Nigeria Perform Best At Athletics During Militery Rule? by DisGuy: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2011
I have also been watching the IAAF and not a single Nigerian athlete so far, it's almost as if the authorities in Nigeria didnt know there was a championship this month!!

(1) (Reply)

Manchester City To Face Porto And Manchester United To Take On Ajax In Europa Le / Unsporting-like Conduct/behavior/moment Of 2011 / Robin Van Persie Confirms He Will Not Sign A New Contract With Arsenal!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.