Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala (8107 Views)

Police ‘still Awaiting Directive’ To Arrest Saraki / Interview With Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnap Suspect / Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by axglide(m): 9:06pm On Aug 28, 2011
grin grin yes, i like the word PRIME MINISTER. The bottom line is, with Okonjo there, a check is in place. wink
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by CyberG: 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2011
An excellent player (Iweala) in a team sports with a totally useless and clueless captain (Goofluck) will end-up looking very ordinary at best! Now, it is 2011, check back at the end of his tenure and assess the impact of Iweala and some of the obviously smart, serious and performance minded people in this cabinet. It is more than likely that this non-leader Odechukwu would succeed in demoting the impressive profile of some of his ministers before he appointed them. If I was someone who was approached to take a job by a foolish president like Goofluck, I would never do it because this man cannot lead and only trying to shelve his responsibilities to Okonjo and co, then take credit for their work when they succeed. Even to inspire a team of ministers, he is failing already, talk less of a whole nation. Well, this man will be a failure president regardless of how many Okonjo, Aganga, Nnaji, etc he appoints to the team. Check back in 2015.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by akyus(m): 9:18pm On Aug 28, 2011
Imagine a minister saying that Iweala was not around when they were campaigning. Did we vote for ministers? Even if they see ministerial appointment as a reward for hard work during the campaign period, they should not forget that it's Mr president that appointed them. And if any among them is not comfortable with the president's policies, let that person resign.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 28, 2011
CyberG:

An excellent player (Iweala) in a team sports with a totally useless and clueless captain (Goofluck) will end-up looking very ordinary at best! Now, it is 2011, check back at the end of his tenure and assess the impact of Iweala and some of the obviously smart, serious and performance minded people in this cabinet. It is more than likely that this non-leader Odechukwu would succeed in demoting the impressive profile of some of his ministers before he appointed them. If I was someone who was approached to take a job by a foolish president like Goofluck, I would never do it because this man cannot lead and only trying to shelve his responsibilities to Okonjo and co, then take credit for their work when they succeed. Even to inspire a team of ministers, he is failing already, talk less of a whole nation. Well, this man will be a failure president regardless of how many Okonjo, Aganga, Nnaji, etc he appoints to the team. Check back in 2015.

I beg to disagree, if all these people you mentioned are allowed to do their jobs to the best of their abilities without muddling in politics, then Nigeria will be better for it. And I dont mind who takes the credit as long as Nigeria is better for it. It's all part of National sacrifice and whi cares if GEJ takes the credit.

Goodluck may not be that intelligent, but if he surrounds himself with intelligent people and allows them to do what he cannot do, then he would be very successful. Half of the job of a leader to assemble a winning team and GEJ is doing the best given the useless constitution we have. He needs to bring more of these people. Trust me even Obama, Cameron all rely alot on advisers and bringing competent hands is very key.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by software(m): 10:07pm On Aug 28, 2011
They should all go to hell
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by PointB: 11:00pm On Aug 28, 2011
ugbo:

True, he can reject recommendations, but appointments to political offices are not as straightforward as you try to make it look. What you are saying would be possible in an autocratic system. In an inclusive system such as democracy, political parties have a strong hold on their members, as these are their primary constituencies. Politicians cannot operate without their party influence, they operate lobbyists to get their supporters, and financier's people into positions. This is why you see certain appointments and you wonder "why". In every democracy you find this sort things. What we need is a system to hold these public office holders  accountable, a preventive system rather than reactive. Most of, if not all the ministers are very capable of delivering; but their attitude to business and intent, are usually fraudulent, they come with a culture to enrich themselves, and that is what results in failure. This is what needs checking and this where Okonjo comes in. Yes, let GEJ try a different system; since someone such as Okonjo will never ever be allowed to become president, except they go through the corrupt furnace of our political system, therefore I welcome her premiership, let us see what she can do as an outsider; it is a different system, lets see if it will work. It will great if GEJ can abdicate his all his responsibility to Okonjo.(this is just my wishful thinking) smiley

You are spot on. But you should quit wasting your time.
Gbawe is a die-hard anti-GEJ man, he will continue arguing blinding till tomorrow, trying to defend the indefensible.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by hbrednic: 11:07pm On Aug 28, 2011
anonymous mininsters meaning cowards.
take the directive from your boss or quit the job.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by luluosas(m): 11:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
Well, GEJ would have approached the issue more maturedly. However, the Ministers that are complaining are the AGIPs. If they therefore sees this directive as a let down, or a slap on their personality, and their contributions to the GEJ elections project, they better resign now, because, they will surely get booted if they fails to comply.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by udezue(m): 1:24am On Aug 29, 2011
He should sack them if they try to give her a tough time.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by Theblessed(f): 1:59am On Aug 29, 2011
Nashville:

The president cannot change the constitution by himself, it has to go through the national assembly so it is very difficult. Some sections of the country will never have ministers if it was based strictly on merit ir having technocrats, so we have to live with having political jobbers as ministers in the name of federal character.

To return to the main discussion, these ministers need to know someone is monitoring them and they cannot continue serving their own masters. If they have problems with it, then they should resign. After all Ngozi honorably resigned during the Obasanjo administration!

And if you say GEJ is delegating his responsibilities, I agree with you, but if the man knows he doesn't have all (or most) of the solution, there is no problem seeking a helping hand. After all there is no law that says the president should be the smartest!

[b][size=16pt]From your response, you seemed un-Democrat - you seemed as if you're the Judge, the Jury and the Executioner.

Everyone knows the President alone can not change the Constitution?  

Constitutions are made to be changed, to suit the time in which it applies.  Our time is different therefore, the 1960's, 70's , 80's or even 90's of yesterday can not apply.

Yes, it is difficult to change any constitution even the American Constitution which is so entrenched, and the toughest in the World to amend/change as the 50 states had to say 'Yes' for 'a single letter/word' of that Constitition to be removed or amended.  However, the difficulties does not prevent it from getting done, if the American people needs it.  Of course, it calls for series of campaigns and political lobbying, television debates etc to get it done and it is done.  

In terms of our own and, because of mass illitracy in our country, our people need to be well informed too, on the  issues, benefits/disadvantages of it via different modes of communication available, to get the message across to them so that, they can judge for themselves and cast their votes accordingly.

Secondly, being educated or technoBRAT is not really a criteria to qualify one as a Minister - it also calls for integrity and Nigeria/other countries in the majority world  lacked that compared to their counterpart in the minority world .  Yet, not all Ministers, MP's with Portfolios in the minority world, are sqeaky clean and their governments still get by.

For me, the only issue with that idea is that, Nigerian politicians lack dignity and respect for themselves. They are not known to resign their position when caught up with controversy, just as their counterparts would do perhaps, I'll blame it on poverty and greed due to the family background some came from.  

Therefore, the politicians should consider what is best for the country - to continue as it is, or break from the old.  Our
politicians are aware that, we voted them in and we will vote them out if they fail to deliver what we - the people want/need at least, they saw what happened in the last election - Democracy spoke and I'm sure, some lost their seats in the fairest election ever had in this country! grin grin

Also, if pressure is put on them to deliver the goods, it would trigger competition among them to do something tangible for their respective states and people, before leaving office.  Afterall, none would like to be seen or remembered by the people they represent as 'evil' who did nothing for his people, and History will definitely re-call it.

So, we have to amend our constitution to meet our present day needs as well as elect skilled politicians with integrity and foresight and if we don't have them then, we raise them through serious vetting and our votes.
[/size][/b]
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by rhymz(m): 4:47am On Aug 29, 2011
Am even appalled by the reasons given for their discontent. Imagine a minister talking like his position was by virtue of his campaign for the President, the other goon was just yapping about unhindered allocations to their ministries even if it is neccessary to do so.
My God! GEJ has a handful here o! Are these the kind of ministers that are heading some of these ministries? People talking with no iota of refinement and finesse yet they wonder why GEJ had to voice out that directive. Geeez! If I was in GEJ's shoes I will even say worse, this is not some ego boosting trip to eldorado, whoever feels uncomfortable with the directive should take to the door, no need spewing bad blood.
Everyone is equal but some people are just more equal than others, it is a fact, that is why un class we have class captains, in the senate there is a senate president and so on. The Ministry is not a democracy, you get orders and you carry them, shikena. the door, no need spewing bad blood.
Everyone is equal but some people are just more equal than others, it is a fact, that is why un class we have class captains, in the senate there is a senate president and so on. The Ministry is not a democracy, you get orders and you carry them, shikena.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by pdozie: 5:15pm On Aug 29, 2011
rhymz:

Am even appalled by the reasons given for their discontent. Imagine a minister talking like his position was by virtue of his campaign for the President, the other goon was just yapping about unhindered allocations to their ministries even if it is neccessary to do so.
My God! GEJ has a handful here o! Are these the kind of ministers that are heading some of these ministries? People talking with no iota of refinement and finesse yet they wonder why GEJ had to voice out that directive. Geeez! If I was in GEJ's shoes I will even say worse, this is not some ego boosting trip to eldorado, whoever feels uncomfortable with the directive should take to the door, no need spewing bad blood.
Everyone is equal but some people are just more equal than others, it is a fact, that is why un class we have class captains, in the senate there is a senate president and so on. The Ministry is not a democracy, you get orders and you carry them, shikena. the door, no need spewing bad blood.
Everyone is equal but some people are just more equal than others, it is a fact, that is why un class we have class captains, in the senate there is a senate president and so on. The Ministry is not a democracy, you get orders and you carry them, shikena.

I agree with you!!! 100%
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by 2tek: 8:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
rhymz:

U ar VERY CORRECT. Its like a football team where there must b a captain.Those complaining hv evil intentions.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by Theblessed(f): 12:15am On Aug 30, 2011
Sun of god:

GEJ - Keep delegating your responsibilities.

The bottom line is you should act as referee between the ministers. They should answer to you and you only.

You now have a 'ticking timebomb' on your hands. Its only a matter of time before things explode.

The silly woman has already basically said her immediate area's of focus is everything from tourism to finance to agriculture to security to oil revenue to projects to this that and the other.

So no doubt she has every intention of treading on everyone's toes.

You've basically made her minister of everything and the other ministers are her 'front men/women'.

Each minister should be allowed to do whats best for their ministry without being dictated to by another minister.

This lady is going to be bad for Nigeria - Just like Sanusi she's has no intention of serving Nigeria.

The ministers need to come together and petition GEJ - if he doesn't play ball then the next thing is to impeach him.

[b][size=16pt]Hey buddy, what's wrong with delegating responsibilities, then?  Is it not part and parcel of leadership/management style?

Now, let's clarify this - when Obasanjo was in power as the President, was he also the Defence Minister, Finance Minister, Education etc, eh? Or were those roles delegated to other people? undecided undecided undecided  So, what's wrong with one delegating a duty as long as he/she keeps an eye on the ball, huh? 

You see, sometimes your arguments on here are very unreasonable to the point that, one can only percieve nothing but hate floating all over the place in your posts. Such attitude can't get us any where in this country - just give praise where it's due because they say, 'if you can't beat them, join them'!!! smiley smiley

And now, let's discuss this issue about Ngozi? How is Ngozi silly?

Could you please, explain??  Do you love your country at all? Or are you triggering my suspicion that you might be one of those politician's children/relative who are angry because, their milikie has been stopped as their fathers were voted out of office this last election? Are you one of them or was your Minister Uncle a victim of the election, too? Declare yourself  let's see where you're coming from?

What matters, is it threading on everyones toes or ensuring that all our country's revenues are appropriately accounted for, in order to get on with re-building our shattered economy?  Hey, what's your priority?? cool

I wish the President will go further to engage the services of other intelligence and skilled Nigerian ladies as Ngozi - and there's quite a number of them in wait, who could do a better job, I can assure you. shocked shocked  Afterall, women are better managers - Margaret Thatcher managed Britain and the world saw what she did. shocked shocked Therefore, those career politician who think our money is free-for-all will now realise, time's up for them!!

Listen, if you're not quite sure what Ngozi's role is about - it's about ensuring CHECKS AND BALANCES in our economy/country, ok?

The lady is like an accountant, she's employed to account to the country, everything that brings money to Nigerian economy (INCOME) - including INCOME FROM THOSE PETTY BUSINESSES/JOBS like, the street Mechanics, corner shop owners, market stall owners, Mama Akara and Mama put in Nigerian streets all over the counrty, via rates/taxes they should and must pay to their local government before they could even open their doors to the public i.e. before they could even fry any sham sham or repair my car down the road.

This is because, the money they make and not accounting for, through paying their local business rates/taxes, are Income the Government is loosing out and that income is liable to be taxed!! shocked shocked 

So, by owing their State Government un-paid taxes, they subsequently owe the economy and that's the revenue Ngozi should account for, if you don't know.

In addition, her watchful eyes are also on how our money is spent by these rogue Ministers (EXPENDITURES) e.g. there's no need to award a contract to repair/maintain Ajegunle road, only for them to give us a receipt for GRADING IT INSTEAD, Abi?. undecided undecided 

We need to get our money's worth for job well done that is, get exactly what we paid for - what's wrong with that??  So, stop insulting someone's mother here, ok?

It seems things are getting too complicated for you to hark/understand, abi? Just wait for it!!  Nigerian Ministers have had it too good for a long time.  They'd been used to not accounting for any thing they are responsible for, and now things have changed and they are complaining, why? They better get used to this too, or leave our office. cool cool cool
[/size][/b]
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by deenee: 8:17am On Aug 30, 2011
Theblessed:

[b][size=16pt]Hey buddy, what's wrong with delegating responsibilities, then?  Is it not part and parcel of leadership/management style?

Now, let's clarify this - when Obasanjo was in power as the President, was he also the Defence Minister, Finance Minister, Education etc, eh? Or were those roles delegated to other people? undecided undecided undecided  So, what's wrong with one delegating a duty as long as he/she keeps an eye on the ball, huh? 

You see, sometimes your arguments on here are very unreasonable to the point that, one can only percieve nothing but hate floating all over the place in your posts. Such attitude can't get us any where in this country - just give praise where it's due because they say, 'if you can't beat them, join them'!!! smiley smiley

Could you please, explain??  Do you love your country at all? Or are you triggering my suspicion that you might be one of those politician's children/relative who are angry because, their milikie has been stopped as their fathers were voted out of office this last election? Are you one of them or was your Minister Uncle a victim of the election, too? Declare yourself  let's see where you're coming from?

What matters, is it threading on everyones toes or ensuring that all our country's revenues are appropriately accounted for, in order to get on with re-building our shattered economy?  Hey, what's your priority?? cool

I wish the President will go further to engage the services of other intelligence and skilled Nigerian ladies as Ngozi - and there's quite a number of them in wait, who could do a better job, I can assure you. shocked shocked  Afterall, women are better managers - Margaret Thatcher managed Britain and the world saw what she did. shocked shocked Therefore, those career politician who think our money is free-for-all will now realise, time's up for them!!

Listen, if you're not quite sure what Ngozi's role is about - it's about ensuring CHECKS AND BALANCES in our economy/country, ok?

The lady is like an accountant, she's employed to account to the country, everything that brings money to Nigerian economy (INCOME) - including INCOME FROM THOSE PETTY BUSINESSES/JOBS like, the street Mechanics, corner shop owners, market stall owners, Mama Akara and Mama put in Nigerian streets all over the counrty, via rates/taxes they should and must pay to their local government before they could even open their doors to the public i.e. before they could even fry any sham sham or repair my car down the road.

This is because, the money they make and not accounting for, through paying their local business rates/taxes, are Income the Government is loosing out and that income is liable to be taxed!! shocked shocked 

So, by owing their State Government un-paid taxes, they subsequently owe the economy and that's the revenue Ngozi should account for, if you don't know.

In addition, her watchful eyes are also on how our money is spent by these rogue Ministers (EXPENDITURES) e.g. there's no need to award a contract to repair/maintain Ajegunle road, only for them to give us a receipt for GRADING IT INSTEAD, Abi?. undecided undecided 

We need to get our money's worth for job well done that is, get exactly what we paid for - what's wrong with that??  So, stop insulting someone's mother here, ok?

It seems things are getting too complicated for you to hark/understand, abi? Just wait for it!!  Nigerian Ministers have had it too good for a long time.  They'd been used to not accounting for any thing they are responsible for, and now things have changed and they are complaining, why? They better get used to this too, or leave our office. cool cool cool
[/size][/b]

Thank you and God bless, any minister that is not happy with the new development should resign. Simple! In fact I think Jonathan should even carry out a second round of screening to 'weed out the shaft'! How can a minister (someone who has been called to serve his fatherland) make such statements like 'where was she when they were campaigning'? Of course, she is to act as a 'check and balance' and she has nothing to lose because she didn't campaign hence she can pack her bags and leave with her dignity intact. How many of our so called 'ministers' can do that? None I guess because the goodies and perks attached to the office they are occupying has blocked out every iota of reasoning left in them

I am also amazed at how some Nlers condemn and criticize and why plead anonymity? Let the 'disgruntled' minister come out and speak with. The era of 'reckless looting' without any reprimand is coming to an end

God bless Nigeria!
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by PointB: 8:34am On Aug 30, 2011
It is nice to observe that many of us saw the benefit of the directive by GEJ. It gives hope that despite all the real and perceived shortcoming of the GEJ administration, many people can still recognise a good move when they see one. That is how it should be.

This directive like many of us has noted will serve as a serious check and balance of the system. Though potential treasury looters will have problem with this measure, but genuine ministers and servants of the people who have honorable intention will generally be pleased. And somewhere in my sub-conscious, I have a feeling, that this measure is targeted at weeding political baggage which the system has imposed on the presidency in the name of federal character. GEJ is making a lemonade from the lemon offered by the Nigerian system. A very good precedence is unfolding here; we should support it!
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by sweet9ja: 1:56pm On Aug 30, 2011
Wetin dem dey complain for, eh? If dem no like oga directive make dem commot from der. Ole, dem don sabi say chop chop go hard this time. No more kickbacks, idiots. Me support GEJ for this one o.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by sweet9ja: 2:27pm On Aug 30, 2011
Theblessed:

[/size][/b]

@Theblessed, Thanks, you've just made my day. In other countries the citizenry would applaud Mr. President and approval rating would have skyrocketed, not in Nigeria, cos' of the chains of corruption, hatred and tribalism that is holding some Nigerians bound. These people see nothing good even in the light of day. Well I don't blame them they are used to darkness, they are used to the old ways, they used to the corrupt way.
Re: Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala by chimaike: 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2011
Remii:

This was the same way Awolowo was treated by Gowon, he was even appointed as vice chairman of the council. If she is up to the task, good for us. Others should just work for the good of the country. The presidency is that of G E J, he has the responsibility for failure or success they should obey him or leave his government.

Wise saying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Labour Minister Unveiled As The Beneficiary Of N2.7b Oil Subsidy Fraud / Fire Raging At Makoko Ebute-Meta / Why Aren't Africans Giving Solidarity For Michael Brown?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.