Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Why Are You Still Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are You Still Abroad? (9490 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
Russialane:

lets call a spade a spade, in the uk i mean na house dem get? were u end up mortgaging your life for a house for lord knows how many years and when you get old that same house by crook or force will still be collected from you and resold again so, na lie
you have not got a clue of how the mortgage system works moreso its irrelevant to the question in hand,what use is a mortgage to you when you plan to relocate after 10 years? grin grin
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Wallie(m): 1:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
Well, the move has to be gradual…one cannot just abandon everything that one knows for a complete unknown. For people with choice, a source of stable income needs to be created that has the potential of sustaining one for decades to come. Ultimately, I will return to Nigeria but not at the expense of abandoning a place I’ve spent about 2/3 of my life. My goal is to have businesses in the US and Nigeria that feed off each other so that I can spend equal amounts of time in both places.

There are also quite a number of things that I do for recreation that cannot be easily replicated in Nigeria in the near future. Money is nice but quality of life is “nicer.”
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:45pm On Aug 29, 2011
Wallie:

Well, the move has to be gradual…one cannot just abandon everything that one knows for a complete unknown. For people with choice, a source of stable income needs to be created that has the potential of sustaining one for decades to come. Ultimately, I will return to Nigeria but not at the expense of abandoning a place I’ve spent about 2/3 of my life. My goal is to have businesses in the US and Nigeria that feed off each other so that I can spend equal amounts of time in both places.

There are also quite a number of things that I do for recreation that cannot be easily replicated in Nigeria in the near future. Money is nice but quality of life is “nicer.”
Thank you jare my guy, you said it al,people seem to 4get quickly that guys abroad have a life they live just like them back home,some of like myself ever started working in the Uk first time,I left 9j as soon as I finish my NYSC so I got no clue as to being employed in 9ja looks like,plz there aint no copetition going on.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by madoba: 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
Erractic power supply, lack of quality healthcare services, poor infrastructures like bad roads etc etc, are amongst the many complaints I have heard and keep on hearing from my superiors based abroad and some other Nigerians I know in Yankee as their reasons for staying/remaining abroad.

The matter dey tire me sef, with the way they carry on condemning practically everything. Suddenly nothing is good or praise worthy in their own country and homeland. I often hear, in America this or that wouldn't happen. In the US they would do it like this, In the United States blah blah blah and the list just goes on.

Everything has become a comparison between us (Nigeria) and the developed world/countries. What I find really exasperating is the constant strings of complaints from this people (my bosses etc), who do nothing and offer no solutions to the problem other than talk and criticize.

They left this country (Naija) for greener pastures and expect to come back to a well developed and fully functional nation. Who were they or are they expecting to rebuild the nation and make it comfortable enough for them to return to? Is it the Govt or those who returned after school or is it the ones that have never left at all.That would be a classic case of monkey dey work baboon dey chop.

In a nutshell I wish Nigerians abroad who are particularly fond of criticizing and condemning this nation would equally proffer solutions in the wake of their criticism or just do what they can in their immediate environment or communities in Naija like sinking a bole hole in their village or even sponsoring a child or two to secondary school level.
Contribute your quota as you honestly can in whatever capacity.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:01pm On Aug 29, 2011
madoba:

Erractic power supply, lack of quality healthcare services, poor infrastructures like bad roads etc etc, are amongst the many complaints I have heard and keep on hearing from my superiors based abroad and some other Nigerians I know in Yankee as their reasons for staying/remaining abroad.

The matter dey tire me sef, with the way they carry on condemning practically everything. Suddenly nothing is good or praise worthy in their own country and homeland. I often hear, in America this or that wouldn't happen. In the US they would do it like this, In the United States blah blah blah and the list just goes on.

Everything has become a comparison between us (Nigeria) and the developed world/countries. What I find really exasperating is the constant strings of complaints from this people (my bosses etc), who do nothing and offer no solutions to the problem other than talk and criticize.

They left this country (Naija) for greener pastures and expect to come back to a well developed and fully functional nation. Who were they or are they expecting to rebuild the nation and make it comfortable enough for them to return to? Is it the Govt or those who returned after school or is it the ones that have never left at all.That would be a classic case of monkey dey work baboon dey chop.

In a nutshell I wish Nigerians abroad who are particularly fond of criticizing and condemning this nation would equally proffer solutions in the wake of their criticism or just do what they can in their immediate environment or communities in Naija like sinking a bole hole in their village or even sponsoring a child or two to secondary school level.
My brother, I feel you but the answers lies in the reason why we left in the first place, there are people in place paid to fix these problem   but they chose not to instead embessle ,share the money(PDP) a the expence of the general populace,No Money is not everything even so,the ammount we 9ja generate is anough to sort our problems so why are we still in same hole after howmany years after 1960.People abroad contribute in their own lil ways to development.Most guys set up thier own Biz which are often international, they employ one or two people pay taxes.They build houses, new ones  lol the more well offs open industries of cos get short changed cos of the cost of production ie PHCN the list goes on n on not until people learn to apreciate what they earn and not hope for more, we wont move nowhere, My argument is, if 1000 left to go abroad 20 years ago  and 70 of us got back to set up small Biz employ5-6 persons its development slow but steady
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Wallie(m): 2:05pm On Aug 29, 2011
madoba:

You’ve made very valid points and that is why I have a philosophy of not complaining if I can’t offer a solution but you also have to realize that every human is hard-wired with survival instincts to self-persevere.  Being selfless is not something that comes naturally; so if given a choice, most people will choose a life of relative ease and comfort.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by jidewin(m): 2:06pm On Aug 29, 2011
Hmm my guy,if you have travelled abroad to school or work or holiday in places where virtually every basic amenities works,you will think twice about coming to stay or invest in Nigeria,ever again.Well maybe for the poor folks.,, wetin i dey yan sef,even dem folks we dey village wan run go abroad,na embassy wahala and d cost make many gentle for here.
You come back from abroad,area boys go look you one kain,fear say kidnapper,armed robbers,trigger happy naija police,crazy lagos danfo drivers who believes the roads belong only to dem dem,LASTMA wey go hide dey wait make u make u turn for where dem no put sign post say NO U-turn,(i even hear VIO sef dem don become power brokers,wo the list goes on.
No be say vices no dey abroad,racism,working hard and long hours to pay bills and taxes,etc dey abroad but my guy,if you compare and contrast, hmmmm the sweetness of the pudding is in the taste, life get meaning for abroad o abeg.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Russialane(m): 2:06pm On Aug 29, 2011
no doubt you guys have made valid points which i definitely agree our government in nigeria is our number one enemy to me its just so unfortunate what we go through in this abroad in search of greener pastures.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:11pm On Aug 29, 2011
Russialane:

no doubt you guys have made valid points which i definitely agree our government in nigeria is our number one enemy to me its just so unfortunate what we go through in this abroad in search of greener pastures.
This is it,we go fru loads of lows to get there, but we will get their cos our quest is to be better than who we where yesterday and by his grace we are.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by r231(m): 2:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
@op. . . . . when you rtn home den the rest of us will follow you undecided undecided
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:14pm On Aug 29, 2011
r231:

@op. . . . . when you rtn home den the rest of us will follow you undecided undecided
lol Nice one grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by maasoap(m): 2:17pm On Aug 29, 2011
@boy t, I like your post. That's the real truth, most especially the last part about the rich people sending their kids abroad for education and withdrawing them back home for employment. Yet, my brother/sister hustlers in foreign lands would tell you it was because of Boko Haram as if this sect had been in existence for many years. Liars!!!
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by maasoap(m): 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
@boy t, I like your post. That's the real truth, most especially the last part about the rich people sending their kids abroad for education and withdrawing them back home for employment. Yet, my brother/sister hustlers in foreign lands would tell you it was because of Boko Haram as if this sect had been in existence for many years. Liars!!!
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Russialane(m): 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
I still remember when i finished my nysc i tried looking for a job back in nigeria i found out that its mostly who you know that can actually get you a job , connections everywhere lol it was crazy i just packed my up and left nigeria straight for the UK, it only took me 3months on arriving here to get a job since then i have never looked back and were i am at the moment jobwise i keep thanking GOD everyday its been wonderfull but i have never forgotten who i am or were i am from, its hard for a LIZARD TO FIT INTO THE WORLD OF ALLIGATORS
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by seedord247(m): 2:23pm On Aug 29, 2011
This question keep bordering every day by day.

But my father alway say's that if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
I am still abroad because it is:

1, Peaceful

2, The Streets are not disgusting like some streets in Nigeria

3, I can move around 24hours without a policeman threatening my life with a Gun just  because i refused to give him money

4, I can sleep with my two eyes closed and my gates, doors, windows open without being afraid of anyone coming to rob me

5, I can drive around in a fancy car without anyone planning to kidnapp me

6, I can drive around the whole States without being afraid of a bomb going off

7, I can sleep witthout being disturb by generator sets of my neighbours just because there is no constant power supply

8, more coming

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:25pm On Aug 29, 2011
maasoap:

try read what you just posted guy,YOU SAID RICH PEOPLE ie people who can afford to sponsor thier kids abroad,them ones have connections soplace the child in positions once the return kids like that dont write application letters unlike teh common man I finished school 1999, my course mate then  only managed to just get a job with PHCN 2007 seriously, now tell me how sad is that? moreso if you have worked here b4 it would be hard to work in 9ja, ther is nothing like yes sir here, everyone is equall as far as you aint the CEO.you dont get threatened with SACK and minimum wage in its true sence get implimented.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Russialane(m): 2:32pm On Aug 29, 2011
Thats true everybody here is equal nothing like sir or ma no show off here everybody here is the same.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
Who is asking these question? Are u a ghost? We left Nigeria to go look for what our country couldnt offer us;good education,opportunity to become rich when worked hard unlike in nigeria where monkey work bamboo dey chop,good roads,less traffic I can go on and on.But am not saying I dont love my country but things are not organized in nigeria and its even worst to want to come and live in nigeria after assimilating with this organized,corruption free system. Dont get me wrong but look at the state of the nation and its not our fault at all,its the leaders who dragged this nation through the mud. let me give u an example of one incident. there was a time my siblings were looking for admission in univ.,they got there cut off mark and even scored above but we were told that u have to bring like half a million naira for a medical student to get an admission!!!!!!!!!!! are u phucking kidding me? and u want me to come back right? u must have lost ur senses!
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2011
Russialane:

Thats true everybody here is equal nothing like sir or ma no show off here everybody here is the same.
back home, CEOs r very arrogant hire  and fire at will  lol anyway, Home is home,we ova here are doing our part, let them ova there do thier part, when they come 4 visit we will do our best to take care of them, when we go over there, we will still take care of ourselves  cos automaticaly we have money hence we come holiday  lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:39pm On Aug 29, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Who is asking these question? Are u a ghost? We left Nigeria to go look for what our country couldnt offer us;good education,opportunity to become rich when worked hard unlike in nigeria where monkey work bamboo dey chop,good roads,less traffic I can go on and on.But am not saying I dont love my country but things are not organized in nigeria and its even worst to want to come and live in nigeria after assimilating with this organized,corruption free system. Dont get me wrong but look at the state of the nation and its not our fault at all,its the leaders who dragged this nation through the mud. let me give u an example of one incident. there was a time my siblings were looking for admission in univ.,they got there cut off mark and even scored above but we were told that u have to bring like half a million naira for a medical student to get an admission!!!!!!!!!!! are u phucking kidding me? and u want me to come back right? u must have lost your senses!
Guy take it easy ohhhhh I fell you stress and anger, but dont 4get some guys here are in thier early 20s,got no clue of what life is al about, dont even know what 9ja passport looks like let alone VISA so they can just post from %O xpirience.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2011
a lot of stupid threads on Nairaland
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Finecat(m): 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2011
What is there to look forward to in Nigeria?? Things were bad before, now terrorists add Firecrackers and Bomb to the equation. Being in Niger republic is a lot safer than Nigeria. Nothing works in Nigeria any longer. They have a babble head as president. Everytime a bomb goes off he keeps saying enough is enough only for more Bombs to go off. Nigeria is just a country that functions by name. And it's funny how Nigerians at home try to make going abroad look bad, they paint every Nigerians abroad as doing dirty jobs. I will rather be free in another man's land than be a slave to the systems of my father land.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Allta(m): 3:01pm On Aug 29, 2011
Has Naija become better or worse within last 20years?
Can Govt guarantee my security when working in Northern part of the country as a western educated southerner against Boko Haram?
Can Govt guarantee the security of my foreign wife in Naija delta from being kidnapped?
Can Govt guarantee life changing operational procedures without the use of lantern and candles during surgical life critical operations?
Can Govt guarantee my survival within the system without partaking in wide spread corruption?
Last but not the list, can Govt guarantee 24hrs 5days Electricity supply to a business I'd like to startup?

Until all answer to most of this is yes, can't see reason why one should abandon a developed system for an underdeveloped and corrupt one like Nigeria's.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by chuquiz(m): 3:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
when tons of youths are still scheming to find a getaway, why would you consider ever returning?,its pretty shitty out here and very very frustratin too,you fit cope with NEPA,major societal ills and lawlessness,im not tryin to scare you but thats what is obtainable here o!.Better Park well for where you dey.As i post this, there is no concrete arrangement to help the tide change, Na only for NTA & STV we dey hear about policies but they dont see the light of day.need i say more? grin
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by juman(m): 3:14pm On Aug 29, 2011
Nigeria is a country to many, but not home.

A countryless country.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by naijacann: 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2011
A friend of mine finished his PhD here(Canada) in Applied Statistics and was offered a lecturing job at one of the Federal Univ in the West.
He returned to Nigeria even though he's a Canadian citizen and is currently 400 thousand Naira/Month and I think he's liking it.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2011
naijacann:

A friend of mine finished his PhD here(Canada) in Applied Statistics and was offered a lecturing job at one of the Federal Univ in the West.
He returned to Nigeria even though he's a Canadian citizen and is currently 400 thousand Naira/Month and I think he's liking it.

Are not sure he just seeingit as helping rather than a way or means of livelyhood?
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 29, 2011
the funny thing is you will have some people come here aand say why have you not contributed to making Nigeria big
ans: Nigeria's problems happen to be the rulers and most of the followers.you have dumb and stupid followers to the likes of obj,buhari,ibb and all those thieves when comon sense should tell you that these people killed Nigeria and are still killing it hence why they can make fools of us all by having a public fight for our amusement

obj to ibb "see dis fools dey think say we dey fight meanwhile ibb,shei ur money still safe for that swiss bank"
ibb responds "my money safe well well,make dose mugus dey enjoy our show"

as long as we have those bastards who robbed us blind getting support from fellow nairalanders ,wetin i wan come do
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by madoba: 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2011
@ erico2k2

I be woman ooh not a man cheesy, and yes I hear you about the embezzlement issues that have torn this nation apart. I don't have a problem with Nigerians who want to remain abroad my own is that, If you are going to criticize and condemn, when you are done criticizing please offer or provide a solution.

The solution doesn't need to be on a grand scale, it can be in a simple and personal way such as drilling a bore hole for your community people in Naija, sending good quality medicines back home for common ailments like cold, cough, fever etc

Just do what you can, wherever you are as your quota and leave the bigger issues that are out of your power. Someone said something about self preservation and selflessness. Selflessness for me is a matter of choice ooh! I can choose to be kind and compassionate with the little I have now or wait until I am rich or have big bucks in my account.

Come to think of it has anyone noticed how rich people in this part of the world tend to be stingy? My point is: don't wait till you get that great job, have more money etc etc, before you perform an act of kindness or selflessness towards your country or at least the citizens of your home state be it in Kaduna, Abia, Kogi etc.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by ronkebp(f): 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2011
The whole idea is acheiving something positive and living a decent life, financially and otherwise, wherever you are; home or abroad.
Re: Why Are You Still Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2011
madoba:

@ erico2k2

I be woman ooh not a man cheesy, and yes I hear you about the embezzlement issues that have torn this nation apart. I don't have a problem with Nigerians who want to remain abroad my own is that, If you are going to criticize and condemn, when you are done criticizing please offer or provide a solution.

The solution doesn't need to be on a grand scale, it can be in a simple and personal way such as drilling a bore hole for your community people in Naija, sending good quality medicines back home for common ailments like cold, cough, fever etc

Just do what you can, wherever you are as your quota and leave the bigger issues that are out of your power. Someone said something about self preservation and selflessness. Selflessness for me is a matter of choice ooh! I can choose to be kind and compassionate with the little I have now or wait until I am rich or have big bucks in my account.

Come to think of it has anyone noticed how rich people in this part of the world tend to be stingy? My point is: don't wait till you get that great job, have more money etc etc, before you perform an act of kindness or selflessness towards your country or at least the citizens of your home state be it in Kaduna, Abia, Kogi etc.
SO what happened to the word charity begins at  home?all what you have mentioned had been done but still no change

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fourteen Persons Die In Jigawa Auto Crash / Road Trip From Lagos To Abidjan And Back / Turkish Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.