Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

My Two Children & Their Habits: - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Two Children & Their Habits: (4384 Views)

10 Habits You Must Quit To Be Happy / Wife Hangs Herself And Two Children To Punish Cheating Husband (photo) / How Can I Revive My Fallen Bosoms After Nursing Two Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
I dont know o. I cant just undersand.

My first child, a girl (5) -she will take the hair at the back of her head and make a curl out of it and then pull it from her head  shocked. Funny enough, there is a paricular section her right hand goes to on her head. As a result, that section appears bald and stands out from the rest like a moon at the back of her head. We cant even give her a hair do becos she will pull the thing out one by one whether na bead of na attachment. So we just cut her hair all d time. This she does even while sleeping  shocked You cant imagine what i am seeing.

My second child - the boy (3) - he can put anytin in the mouth and specifically between his teeth. He then chews life out of that thing until you are no longer able to recognise it again. If he take a Biro or plastic or anything, he will so chew it that you will wonder what is problem is.

What can i do? is it stoppable or i should just allow them to grow with thees habits. Now dont ask me where she got them from. I have one habit too. I wont share it  grin. How can we stop those habits ? Any prominent people you know with funny habits? I want to stop my children's habits but dont know what to do.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Johndoe100(m): 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2011
Are you male or female?
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2011
Johndoe100:

Are you male or female?

Hi, I am a male but what has that got to do with it if i may ask ?
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Johndoe100(m): 1:41pm On Aug 29, 2011
cgift:

Hi, I am a male but what has that got to do with it if i may ask ?

No be woman go de take care of this kine thing? Real men only play a supporting role, but I admire your concern.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 1:47pm On Aug 29, 2011
Johndoe100:

No be woman go de take care of this kine thing? Real men only play a supporting role, but I admire your concern.

lol! African man! grin

I want to be very close and observant when it has to do with my nuclear family especially my girl. I want to know everything about her. Wanna be her best friend even better than her mum. In general, if an ant passes thru their side, i must kill that ant. so, i no dey take them play o. My wife does worry about those things as well but wetin she go do? I need perhaps psychologists or whatver experts to advice on how to achieve the aim or if there is no solution, i give up smiley
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by ifyalways(f): 2:44pm On Aug 29, 2011
They wud probably out-grow it.

I think your daughter might be be experiencing Trichotillomania . . .

Some children are just too restless ,get bored easily and they react to that in different and sometimes weird ways.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 29, 2011
Try to let them know it's not good and be strict on them about it.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Nekai(f): 4:22pm On Aug 29, 2011
cgift:

lol! African man! grin

I want to be very close and observant when it has to do with my nuclear family especially my girl. I want to know everything about her. Wanna be her best friend even better than her mum. In general, if an ant passes thru their side, i must kill that ant. so, i no dey take them play o. My wife does worry about those things as well but wetin she go do? I need perhaps psychologists or whatver experts to advice on how to achieve the aim or if there is no solution, i give up smiley

kiss kiss kiss
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by 2mch(m): 4:40pm On Aug 29, 2011
ifyalways:

Some children are just too restless ,get bored easily and they react to that in different and sometimes weird ways.

The little guy is just a small ruffian or maybe always hungry.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 5:00pm On Aug 29, 2011
ifyalways:

too much grammar angry

Do people really leave habits like that ? I will be happy if they can outgrow it o.

2mch:

The little guy is just a small ruffian or maybe always hungry.

You no well at all. smiley
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by SisiKill1: 5:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
cgift:

I dont know o. I cant just undersand.

My first child, a girl (5) -she will take the hair at the back of her head and make a curl out of it and then pull it from her head  shocked. Funny enough, there is a paricular section her right hand goes to on her head. As a result, that section appears bald and stands out from the rest like a moon at the back of her head. We cant even give her a hair do becos she will pull the thing out one by one whether na bead of na attachment. So we just cut her hair all d time. This she does even while sleeping  shocked You cant imagine what i am seeing.

My second child - the boy (3) - he can put anytin in the mouth and specifically between his teeth. He then chews life out of that thing until you are no longer able to recognise it again. If he take a Biro or plastic or anything, he will so chew it that you will wonder what is problem is.

What can i do? is it stoppable or i should just allow them to grow with thees habits. Now dont ask me where she got them from. I have one habit too. I wont share it  grin. How can we stop those habits ? Any prominent people you know with funny habits? I want to stop my children's habits but dont know what to do.

My niece sucks her thumb and when she's doing it, she plays with her hair. You should see the almost bald patch on the right side of her hair. My sister had to cut the hair down and now the hair is long enough for curls but short enough so she can't pick at it. She looks so cute with her baby curls, wish I could post her pix. Anyway, now she's got no hair to hold on to while sucking her thumb. . .she's found something else. Hopefully, she woulda forgotten the hair twirling by the time it grows long enough to start braiding

As for the boy, he'll grow out of it. His just using all his senses. . .touch, taste, sight, hearing and smell to discover his environment.

And two thumbs waaaaaay up to you for taking interests in YOUR children's development. . . a great daddy you make unlike some people who think children's matter is left to the women. Gosh! Such a cave man!!
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by dayokanu(m): 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2011
Shey you go try handcuffs
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 5:51pm On Aug 29, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

My niece sucks her thumb and when she's doing it, she plays with her hair. You should see the almost bald patch on the right side of her hair. My sister had to cut the hair down and now the hair is long enough for curls but short enough so she can't pick at it. She looks so cute with her baby curls, wish I could post her pix. Anyway, now she's got no hair to hold on to while sucking her thumb. . .she's found something else. Hopefully, she woulda forgotten the hair twirling by the time it grows long enough to start braiding

As for the boy, he'll grow out of it. His just using all his senses. . .touch, taste, sight, hearing and smell to discover his environment.

Habits are so powerful. I hope they outgrow it. but peradventure they dont You allow them be now smiley

Sisi_Kill:

And two thumbs waaaaaay up to you for taking interests in YOUR children's development. . . a great daddy you make unlike some people who think children's matter is left to the women. Gosh! Such a cave man!!

thanks for that. Men needs to take more interest in their children really.

dayokanu:

Shey you go try handcuffs

Bush man  angry Wetin dem go use chop ?
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Outstrip(f): 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2011
Is the situation at home stressful? Both behaviors can be a sign of stress.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 6:04pm On Aug 29, 2011
Outstrip:

Is the situation at home stressful? Both behaviors can be a sign of stress.

Stress? God forbid. Those children are hving the fun of their lives really!! They are immune from all forms of stress grin E no dey reach their side at all.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Outstrip(f): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
It's a claming mechanism for them. That is how they destress
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2011
Outstrip:

It's a claming mechanism for them. That is how they destress

o! i see. may be stress from too much play,
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by ada24: 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
poster - sorry can't help you but your daughter will outgrow the severity of the hair habit - I am a full grown woman with my own child and i still do that with my hair (i don't pull out my hair thou). so don't worry.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by horny4u(f): 10:59pm On Aug 29, 2011
Your boy once he starts chewing something collect it briefly & add living bitters to the thing and hand it over to him that will teach him grin

Your girl !

No idea oh o digba serious, see the doc let it not be trime.hugyugtycdee, that someone wrote out before
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Nobody: 2:44am On Aug 30, 2011
horny4u:

Your boy once he starts chewing something collect it briefly & add living bitters to the thing and hand it over to him that will teach him grin

Your girl !

No idea oh o digba serious, see the doc let it not be trime.hugyugtycdee, that someone wrote out before

grin grin grin I agree with the bolded. It always works.

You have to do something about it sha. Some children don't outgrow it o. I have a family friend who sucked her thumb till she was about 28. I'm not sure she has even stopped. I thnk she still does it in secret, so that bitter thing works if you try it
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by seedord247(m): 2:49am On Aug 30, 2011
You are such a good Father.

Keep It up.

This is how i wanna raise my Own children too.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by fixit4me: 8:01am On Aug 30, 2011
If you live in one of the western countries please dont try living bitters, yoyo bitters, pepper or anything - na beg i beg you, you know how children are seen in this part of the world, otherwise you may be charged for child battery, mutilation of child's taste bud and other hidden charges. You can try using the common western method of baby "Nap", get him used to sucking his nap rather than picking up infectious substances.
A woman was asked to pay 25,000 USD damages to her 7 year old daughter for applying a corporal punishment of putting pepper in her mouth. I was reading an article on how it becomes a sexual crime for a 13 year old boy to have a consensual sex with a girl of 14, the 13 year old boy was criminalized while the 14 year old girl was compensated, so you see, even consensual sex between two young teenagers can result in one of the youngsters facing criminal charges. often times, you don't know how the law would be applied.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by adanny01(m): 8:40am On Aug 30, 2011
I have not stopped my habit and probably never will. I cant sleep without it. My parents tried with pepper but couldnt stop it. I hear my uncle does it too. As a result of it i cant sleep in public,
Just thinking if i can say it.
Ok here is it, my hand joins my balls b4 or while i sleep. U heard it, so what?
My question is can a lefty be changed? I guess no way but u r free to try. My parents tried to make my sister eat with her right hand, they succeeded in making her use both hands. But in all nther things she is still a lefty.
I guess some of this habits can be controled but u have to be very strict or u just let it play out.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by tEsLim(m): 8:57am On Aug 30, 2011
Boy will out grow chewing but needs monitoring so he dont chew dangerous items or swallow. Always try to explain how and why its not good. Continuous talk and explanation , I tell my son (Mayor you are not a big boy, big boys dont do that wink ) , because this guy is always about being big boy and dont wanna do things to make him non-big boy lol.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by moremi2008(m): 9:24am On Aug 30, 2011
Your daughter might indeed show signs of Trichotillomania (it's a way to relieve anxiety and she'll most likely outgrow it).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002485/

Your son just likes to eat! He's going to be a fatty! LOL,
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Becalm(m): 10:08am On Aug 30, 2011
Some habits can be stopped, some can be overgrown but few may never be stopped. Do not relax and hope they will overgrow them, do something/give it a try and let events take care of itself. Suggestions; show great dislike in any manner that seems best to you whenever they display such habit. Threaten to beat the 5yr if she repeats such, if you are lucky she may not stop but will not display such habits before you.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 10:54am On Aug 30, 2011
horny4u:

Your girl !

ol boy! you dey find trouble. Like someone said, dat one na child battery or child engine grin i no dey house o.

tEsLim:

Boy will out grow chewing but needs monitoring so he dont chew dangerous items or swallow. Always try to explain how and why its not good. Continuous talk and explanation , I tell my son (Mayor you are not a big boy, big boys dont do that wink ) , because this guy is always about being big boy and dont wanna do things to make him non-big boy lol.

You are very correct. Dey like feeling like big boys really, When my boy cries, i tell him you are not a big boy and you see him stop especially when i tell him big boys dont cry grin
ok. Will try that but you sure that can stop a serious habit ?

seedord247 :

Keep It up.

I'm blushing, Thanks. God will help you achieve that spiritually, morally, financially, etc, etc,

adanny01:

I have not stopped my habit and probably never will. I cant sleep without it. My parents tried with pepper but couldnt stop it. I hear my uncle does it too. As a result of it i cant sleep in public,
My question is can a lefty be changed? I guess no way but u r free to try. My parents tried to make my sister eat with her right hand, they succeeded in making her use both hands. But in all nther things she is still a lefty.
I guess some of this habits can be controled but u have to be very strict or u just let it play out

OChief, you are not alone.

You guys know what, i am beginning to think this thing is hereditary. When indoors with my wife and we are discussing the children, she tells me they took after me but she does not say it in public o. I pull out my pubic hair for fun and twirl he thing. Could my daugher have taken after me? But how ?
Thats why i dont bother to spank her i just shakre my head hinking within me, See M Life in he Open ;d

Back to your, please don try to change a lefty, it could create an imbalance in their brain or thinking system o. And i am talking from experience. Dont Do it.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by Sike(m): 11:05am On Aug 30, 2011
seedord247:

Keep It up.

Me too. LoL
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 11:16am On Aug 30, 2011
adanny01:

I guess some of this habits can be controled but u have to be very strict or u just let it play out.

but wait a min! how did they use pepper ? grin How did they apply it ? Put pepper on your hand ? Or lemme get you, do u put it inside your nickers or pants while u sleep? You must hve seen shege when pepper touches ur balls directly o. grin nd u did not stop ? ah! the only ay out may be spiritual probably. cheesy
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by NJV: 11:27am On Aug 30, 2011
@poster, for your daughter, pls make her go on low cut for a long while, i mean real low cut (abolo). This way she'll forget abt pulling her hair and maybe find other ways of relieving stress. Continuous pulling of hair from one spot could affect the hair roots and may lead to permanent baldness in dat spot and will be a bigger problem being a girl.
For your son, whenever u find him chewing, either u collect wat he's chewing and give him a fruit in return or u rub some bitter leave juice on wat he's chewing and hand it back to him.
You shd also try some mild spanking on both of them so they start learning from this early age that those are unpleasant habits. They will not die from mild spanking!
By the way, your a great dad. Keep it up.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by cgift(m): 11:35am On Aug 30, 2011
Becalm:

Some habits can be stopped, some can be overgrown but few may never be stopped. Do not relax and hope they will overgrow them, do something/give it a try and let events take care of itself. Suggestions; show great dislike in any manner that seems best to you whenever they display such habit. Threaten to beat the 5yr if she repeats such, if you are lucky she may not stop but will not display such habits before you.

You probably think it is what biologists call voluntary actions? I belive it is onl a voluntary action that you can control. If one does something unconciously, even when ou are there, they would have done it before remembering your insttruction or threat.

Come o tthink of it, at times i just threaten i will no buy soimehing for them unless they sop i. and i have seen situations when my girl comes back and says "daddy, i have not pulled my hair today  grin But immediately after that nko, u see her digging it again.

NJV:
@poster, for your daughter, pls make her go on low cut for a long while, i mean real low cut (abolo). This way she'll forget abt pulling her hair and maybe find other ways of relieving stress. Continuous pulling of hair from one spot could affect the hair roots and may lead to
permanent boldness[b] in dat spot and will be a bigger problem being a girl [/b].
For your son, whenever u find him chewing, either u collect wat he's chewing and give him a fruit in return or u rub some bitter leave juice on wat he's chewing and hand it back to him.
You shd also try some mild spanking on both of them so they start learning from this early age that those are unpleasant habits. They will not die from mild spanking!
By the way, your a great dad. Keep it up.

o yea, ha bolded bohers me.
Re: My Two Children & Their Habits: by ifyalways(f): 11:36am On Aug 30, 2011
cgift:

ol boy! you dey find trouble. Like someone said, dat one na child battery or child engine  grin i no dey house o.

You are very correct. Dey like feeling like big boys really, When my boy cries, i tell him you are not a big boy and you see him stop especially when i tell him big boys dont cry grin
ok. Will try that but you sure that can stop a serious habit ?

I'm blushing,  Thanks. God will help you achieve that spiritually, morally, financially, etc, etc,

OChief, you are not alone.

You guys know what, i am beginning to think this thing is hereditary. When indoors with my wife and we are discussing the children, she tells me they took after me but she does not say it in public o. I pull out my pubic hair for fun and  twirl he thing. Could my daugher have taken after me? But how ?
Thats why i dont bother to spank her i just shakre my head hinking within me, See M Life in he Open ;d

Back to your, please don try to change a lefty, it could create an imbalance in their brain or thinking system o. And i am talking from experience. Dont Do it.
Oturugbeke  grin  cheesy  grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are some Familylanders Quick To Advise Anyone To Divorce His/her Spouse? / Dear Family, Your Advice Is Urgently Needed / Why Is Society's View Of Domestic Violence So One Sided??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.