Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law (5386 Views)

Lagos Commissioner Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law / LASG Calls For Cooperation As Construction Of 3 Major Roads Begins / Imota Rice Mill: LASG Calls For Strategic Partners In Operation And Management (2) (3) (4)

LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Oluwabash(m): 1:18pm On Dec 09, 2022
… As 3rd Real Estate Market Place Conference and Exhibitions ends in Lagos

The Lagos State Government has called for the urgent review of Nigeria’s power generation and distribution law under the purview of the Federal Government based in view of the huge amount spent on diesel daily by industries especially manufacturing sector in the State.

Lagos State Commissioner for Energy, Engr. Olalere Odusote made this call on Wednesday as part of his submission at the end of the 3rd Real Estate Market Place Conference and Exhibitions held in Victoria Island.

Speaking on Sustainable Energy Solutions in the Real Estate, the Commissioner said that personal energy generated by individuals, corporate organisations including real estate practitioners usually come with huge financial burden in addition to the environmental pollution that comes with it.

According to him, the country’s Real Estate sector is still begging for huge investment in the area of power to make the sector more viable and attractive to potential investors.

He explained that this became necessary as most private individuals and businesses in Lagos utilised diesel powered generators rather than electricity from the national grid.

According to him, the two distribution companies in Lagos State – Eko Disco and Ikeja Electric – established nine years ago, sell about 800 to 900 megawatts initially and have only improved to 800 to 1,000 megawatts nine years after.

“Nothing has changed in the national grid sector nine years after. However, Lagos State within a spate of nine years had grown from having about 8,000 megawatts of installed diesel capacity to about 23,000 megawatts.

“The diesel market of the off-grid market has grown by about 300 per cent but the grid market has not grown at all or just about one to two per cent,” he said.

He added that the state injected almost 1,000 transformers into the grid to improve electricity supply to its residents, but without the desired result.

Odusote said a lot of the energy utilised in Lagos came from diesel generators, and that because of the high population of the city, the emission from that energy source had become unsustainable.

The Commissioner explained that Lagos had been projected to be city with the largest population in the world in 50 years, therefore energy for the housing infrastructure needed for the population must be put into consideration.

Odusote said that was why the state government came up with the Lagos Electricity sector policy, with the aim of providing universal access to electricity for all residents of the state.

He stated that the draft of the Lagos electricity law had been completed and was before the state’s House of Assembly for consideration.

Odusote explained that the bill, when implemented, would take regulation of electricity from the centre and domicile it with the Lagos regulatory agency.

“The Nigerian constitution domiciles the responsibility of regulation and distribution of electricity with the state government but when the law was passed in 2002, many states were not ready for the responsibility.

“Many housing estates in the state run on diesel generators because they are unable to benefit from the grid, yet they cannot share from the excess capacity they currently have because the Federal Government does not permit it.

“Lagos is now ready, willing and in the process of passing the law. It means we will be able to locally determine our faith when it comes to electricity,” he said.

According to him, the Lagos Regulatory Agency will work with the residents and the state government to determine the need of the electricity market and make laws that will enable investors to invest in identified gaps.

The commissioner said the state was working with the Federal Government to ensure its laws were reviewed and the new law passed at the National Assembly aligned with the state’s law and in line with the development of the sector.

Odusote explained that the state was working with the built environment and other private sector operators to create a framework that would ensure that by 2036, everybody that wanted electricity in Lagos got it.

On her part, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Housing, Mrs Toke Benson Awoyinka promised that LASRERA will sustain the use of sanctions to rid the industry of fraudulent Real Estate Agents.

She added that the state government was determined to ensure sanity was restored to its real estate environment.

Adeoti Sobowale
Deputy Director Public Affairs LASRERA
8th December, 2022.
https://lagostoday.com.ng/lagos-commissioner-calls-for-review-of-power-generation-distribution-law/

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by dedonfranco(m): 1:20pm On Dec 09, 2022
State Governors are not investing in power.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Brendaniel: 1:45pm On Dec 09, 2022
Yes, it needs review, like seriously...

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by BluntCrazeMan: 6:02am On Dec 10, 2022
Hmmm.
Ok Naa
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by ecolime(m): 6:03am On Dec 10, 2022
This is one aspect the FG has failed massively.

States should take charge of their Power generation and distribution.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by abraham324: 6:04am On Dec 10, 2022
Hmm mm, I hear u
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by jidamsel43(m): 6:06am On Dec 10, 2022
Lagos is like a country on its own.

16 Likes

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Ofunaofu: 6:11am On Dec 10, 2022
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by tamdun: 6:13am On Dec 10, 2022
Other state should wake up,fg is unreliable...

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by oz4real83(m): 6:14am On Dec 10, 2022
Whenever I'm in the state I am currently, I always remember Fashola and won't stop invoking the curses of our ancestors on him. I have been without light for some weeks now, without any explanation from Bedc. They will still bring estimated billing to us at month end because they refused to distribute prepaid meters. If we had prepaid meters, our money will still be intact if power is not supplied. At a time, the house of reps wanted to criminalise estimated billing, Fashola stood against it as minister of power, he claimed that if estimated billing was criminalised, it will discourage investors from the sector. That single act of his ensured that the Discos will keep reaping where they didn't sow embarassed

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 10, 2022
dedonfranco:
State Governors are not investing in power.

Obasanjo killed the initiative. Tinubu was going to pioneer the effort but Obasanjo couldn't live with the idea. An opposition governor pioneering electricity generation and distribution in Nigeria? No way. That was the end of the Deal between Enron and the Lagos State government in Year 2000 or thereabouts, in case you did not believe my story. Also, it's on the internet; you may wish to check it out.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Piwago(m): 6:16am On Dec 10, 2022
tamdun:
Other state should wake up,fg is unreliable...
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 10, 2022
oz4real83:
Whenever I'm in the state I am currently, I always remember Fashola and won't stop invoking the curses of our ancestors on him. I have been without light for some weeks now, without any explanation from Bedc. They will still bring estimated billing to us at month end because they refused to distribute prepaid meters. If we had prepaid meters, our money will still be intact if power is not supplied. At a time, the house of reps wanted to criminalise estimated billing, Fashola stood against it as minister of power, he claimed that if estimated billing was criminalised, it will discourage investors from the sector. That single act of his ensured that the Discos will keep reaping where they didn't sow embarassed

Another Liar from the East of the Great River spotted.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by adioolayi(m): 6:34am On Dec 10, 2022
That's it!

Decentralisation of the top much power at the centre..

Why should FGN solely be the only one overseeing power generation and distribution in this age with this massive population and landmass

Allow State government and private establishment generate and distribute power..

Let the power be available and the citizens can buy power from whoever they want.

Open up this thing abeg!

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Nahunger(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2022
Jeon come to daddy grin
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Beedude(m): 6:41am On Dec 10, 2022
oz4real83:
Fashola was right. Until the privatisation agreement Discos signed with past administration expires, there is nothing any minister or president can do. An agreement is an agreement.
Why not get a prepaid meter instead. Free prepaid meter takes time but if u visit the unit in charge at any nepa office close to u, u can get an official to facilitate or fast track it for a token(make sure it is their office). I stopped using estimated billing in my house and office since 2020. We were on lockdown and electricity was poor but I still get 18k bill monthly at home and office. It was Hell. A nepa official who isn't your mate will have the audacity to talk to u becos of a bill u never used .It triggered me to apply for 3 prepaid meters and got it in less than 2 months.
So stop cursing Fashola. There are so many things attached to all these Discos that so many people are not aware.
I hope FG can allow state generate and distribute electricity as well. Once there is competition in the industry, things will be fine

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Jeon(f): 6:54am On Dec 10, 2022
Nahunger:
Jeon come to daddy grin
Nah DaddyCK, will be mad

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by EdiskyHarry: 7:05am On Dec 10, 2022
I'm from Akwa ibom.
The love I have for Lagos state and their governors is unmatched to any. Their governors know where to invest in the state
I'll visit Lagos state one day even if it's 24 hours.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Flier: 7:17am On Dec 10, 2022
EdiskyHarry:
I'm from Akwa ibom.
The love I have for Lagos state and their governors is unmatched to any. Their governors know where to invest in the state
I'll visit Lagos state one day even if it's 24 hours.
Vote TINUBU if you want the same everywhere in Nigeria.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 10, 2022
Nahunger:
Jeon come to daddy grin

Bro..u do realise u chaatin to z nairaland known guy faggggot pretending to be female....right?...the faggggot is 100% male. 40% of them ha already been exposed on nairaland. Yor risk! We working on baiting them, catching them, put them in hospital & then posting on social media.
He is our nomba 3 target to hunt

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Jeon(f): 7:47am On Dec 10, 2022
DaddyCK:

Bro..u do realise u chaatin to z nairaland known guy faggggot pretending to be female....right?...the faggggot is 100% male. 40% of them ha already been exposed on nairaland. Yor risk! We working on baiting them, catching them, put them in hospital & then posting on social media.

As a Christmas surprise from papacock!

can't wait cheesy

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by oz4real83(m): 7:59am On Dec 10, 2022
Beedude:

Fashola was right. Until the privatisation agreement Discos signed with past administration expires, there is nothing any minister or president can do. An agreement is an agreement.
Why not get a prepaid meter instead. Free prepaid meter takes time but if u visit the unit in charge at any nepa office close to u, u can get an official to facilitate or fast track it for a token(make sure it is their office). I stopped using estimated billing in my house and office since 2020. We were on lockdown and electricity was poor but I still get 18k bill monthly at home and office. It was Hell. A nepa official who isn't your mate will have the audacity to talk to u becos of a bill u never used .It triggered me to apply for 3 prepaid meters and got it in less than 2 months.
So stop cursing Fashola. There are so many things attached to all these Discos that so many people are not aware.
I hope FG can allow state generate and distribute electricity as well. Once there is competition in the industry, things will be fine
it seems you are mistaking Bedc with other Discos, even when other Discos share prepaid meters, Bedc will never share prepaid meters. When there are issues, other Discos will announce and apologise to their customers but Bedc will never acknowledge any issue or even apologise, they treat customers with disdain and are ready to use security agents to perpetuate evil on customers. We all are willing to pay to get prepaid meters but they will never make them available because it is more profitable to make money through estimated billing than through any metering facility. When you have prepaid meter, zero supply will be equals zero revenue, unlike estimated billing where bill must come even when Discos announce that they can't supply because their facilities are down.
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by ITbomb(m): 8:01am On Dec 10, 2022
After 7 years
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by DIKEnaWAR: 8:09am On Dec 10, 2022
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Benwems(m): 8:40am On Dec 10, 2022
They didn’t ask for review of federal law when they created additional local government/local government administration. If you want to build power plants and distribute electricity likely do it. Nobody will drop a bomb on the power plant.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Freethinker87: 9:18am On Dec 10, 2022
Peter Obi has already addressed these concerns in his manifesto. His method is unambiguous, implementable and pragmatic. In summary, his plan looks like this:

Distribution:

* Ban estimated billing and fully prosecute the National Mass Metering Program.
* Ensure DisCos comply strictly with their PPA agreement.

Transmission:

* Liberalize the transmission network and allow private investors to come in while Govt focuses on oversight.

Generation:

* Ensure that the bilateral agreements between FGN and Siemens succeed.
* Re-engage abandoned IPPs and sign new PPAs
* Develop 100,000 mini-grids and locate power plants close to gas lines.
* Complete all abandoned power plants littered all over Nigeria
* Expand local R & D in Universities, and workshops.

Giving Nigerians stable power is not rocket science, it's the vested interest of evil men and women in PDAPC that is making stable power seem impossible to have.

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by syntekelite(m): 9:33am On Dec 10, 2022
Okealaaye:

Obasanjo killed the initiative. Tinubu was going to pioneer the effort but Obasanjo couldn't live with the idea. An opposition governor pioneering electricity generation and distribution in Nigeria? No way. That was the end of the Deal between Enron and the Lagos State government in Year 2000 or thereabouts, in case you did not believe my story. Also, it's on the internet; you may wish to check it out.

Stop spreading falsehood.. enron wasnt stopped by obj.. tinubu didnt do his homework.. a gov who had access to the best lawyers but chose not to check the constitution for reasons best known to him.. enron has been discovered to be a scam company, they did the same thing to about 3different gullible countries and have been facing criminal prosecution for years now..
The constitution am refering to is as follows.... No state is allowed to generate power exclusively, if at all permit is granted by the federal govt due to special circumstances the power generated by that state will be shared to the national grid about 60/40%... This law was just changed months back by the senate in which they moved electricity generation from the exclusive to concurrent list...

Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by chukwuma234: 9:54am On Dec 10, 2022
jidamsel43:
Lagos is like a country on its own.

Created with money from crude oil. which country of it owns. You should try to research things before talking nonsense.
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Nahunger(m): 10:02am On Dec 10, 2022
DaddyCK:

Ewooo I didn't know oo..
Thank you for letting me know who jeon truly is
Re: LASG Calls For Review Of Power Generation, Distribution Law by Nahunger(m): 10:03am On Dec 10, 2022
Jeon:

Nah DaddyCK, will be mad

Are you saying he's madly in love and obsessed with you

Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. / See Julius Malema's Bold & Proud Fashion Statement (PICS) / Yoruba Man Who Stole An Entire Airline

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65