Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,230 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car (4279 Views)

'Obituary': See What A Loan Shark Did To One Of Their Defaulters / #150,000 Was Credited Into My Account From Unknown Source / Kuda Bank Called EFCC On My Friend Over N800k - Bryson Adah Cole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by MasterJayJay: 3:44pm On Dec 10, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Yes...but the the police find out when walking past them?
It was obvious to passersby. The police saw it.

The other one he did was about cannabis. He thought any amount can be carried around because cannabis is legal in some states.. He deliberately dropped a large amount of cannabis in front of a police. After some questioning, the cannabis was confiscated because it was above the limit.

There are many youtubers in USA doing giveaways. They hold thousands of dollars in the streets and no police has ever bothered them.

1 Like

Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by kunle75(m): 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2022
Alusiizizi:

I think I've spent enough time on this. If you still doubt me then by all means try it out and see for yourself. If you happen to be in a U.S. city and also happen to be black, try inducing a policeman to stop you(perhaps by driving over the speed limit or running a red light in full view of an officer), make sure that you have $2000 or more in plain sight. After the ordeal do be sure to give us a testimony of your experience on this forum.

Bros i live here in US and have had cash in my car always due to the nature of my side hustle and infact been pulled over several times without any bookings or fines.
But I have had hand full of warning but I haven't experienced anything search or what so ever.
This is strange and the only time such things as you mentioned can happen is when they have intel about you or mistaken identity which is not common.
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by Alusiizizi(m): 3:49pm On Dec 10, 2022
kunle75:

Bros i live here in US and have had cash in my car always due to the nature of my side hustle and infact been pulled over several times without any bookings or fines.
But I have had hand full of warning but I haven't experienced anything search or what so ever.
This is strange and the only time such things as you mentioned can happen is when they have intel about you or mistaken identity which is not common.

No one will book or fine you because you have cash in your car, that's not the point. What we're driving at here is that there is a high risk of having the money confiscated in which event recovering the money back is almost impossible, and just because you either got lucky of have some sort of familiarity with your local police doesn't make this risk any less real.
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by kunle75(m): 4:33pm On Dec 10, 2022
Alusiizizi:

No one will book or fine you because you have cash in your car, that's not the point. What we're driving at here is that there is a high risk of having the money confiscated in which event recovering the money back is almost impossible, and just because you either got lucky of have some sort of familiarity with your local police doesn't make this risk any less real.

The main issue is weather it is lawful or not to carry cash in your car.
Not sure there is law in the state restricting anyone from carrying their hard earned money in the comfort of their car,except there is justifiable reasons for the law enforcement to go after certain individuals as the case may be.
Though there is a case recently aired on local TV here of a certain California resident carrying $95k life savings and was stopped in one of the Midwest states, the money was confiscated but he was able to prove the source and got his money bad.
State law here too are different but when it comes to dollar bill I think the rule cuts across
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by Alusiizizi(m): 4:58pm On Dec 10, 2022
kunle75:

The main issue is weather it is lawful or not to carry cash in your car.
Not sure there is law in the state restricting anyone from carrying their hard earned money in the comfort of their car,except there is justifiable reasons for the law enforcement to go after certain individuals as the case may be.
Though there is a case recently aired on local TV here of a certain California resident carrying $95k life savings and was stopped in one of the Midwest states, the money was confiscated but he was able to prove the source and got his money bad.
State law here too are different but when it comes to dollar bill I think the rule cuts across

There is no law whatsoever that limits the amount of cash that one can have on his person just like there's no law that forbids one from running around in gang/drug paraphernalia. At the same time(depend on place and circumstance) the police are empowered(obliged) to respond to suspicious(profiled) targets in ways that can be undesirable. If you are considered(suspected) to be dangerous or a law-breaker the law enforcement authorities are duty bound to investigate you, detain you up to the limits allowable by law, and in these sort of cases, confiscate your money until some such time when it is deemed not to be connected to drug crimes. Most of these confiscations are induced by "judgement calls" on the part of the acting officer, in other words there's no sort of prescription on who fits versus who doesn't, nor is there much in the way of guidelines. Now we can rant all up and down about rights and liberties but the simple reality of the matter is that this is how U.S. law is constructed, a construct that doesn't seem to be about to change at any time in the near or distant future.
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by SirJerrie(m): 5:22pm On Dec 10, 2022
As Long as the source and reason for holding such amount as cash is justifiable and verifiable, you're be free.
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by kunle75(m): 6:00pm On Dec 10, 2022
Alusiizizi:

There is no law whatsoever that limits the amount of cash that one can have on his person just like there's no law that forbids one from running around in gang/drug paraphernalia. At the same time(depend on place and circumstance) the police are empowered(obliged) to respond to suspicious(profiled) targets in ways that can be undesirable. If you are considered(suspected) to be dangerous or a law-breaker the law enforcement authorities are duty bound to investigate you, detain you up to the limits allowable by law, and in these sort of cases, confiscate your money until some such time when it is deemed not to be connected to drug crimes. Most of these confiscations are induced by "judgement calls" on the part of the acting officer, in other words there's no sort of prescription on who fits versus who doesn't, nor is there much in the way of guidelines. Now we can rant all up and down about rights and liberties but the simple reality of the matter is that this is how U.S. law is constructed, a construct that doesn't seem to be about to change at any time in the near or distant future.

Its no one is right or wrong in our assertion or points.
Its base on personal experience and shared judgment from individuals.

Let's enjoy the weekend
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 10, 2022
madridguy:
He provided everything and then these Policemen told him that carrying such amount exposes the dollar notes to dirt and squeezing the mints make it less valuable.

If na here for Naija people will be saying na him money, make dey leave him.
Yes, because we know the police doesn't care about enforcing the law, they just want their share. Don't you agree?
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by April4th(m): 6:30pm On Dec 10, 2022
Eriokanmi:
No be lie oo. GoooodHardDick was right. Those of us born in Lag in the 70s up till late 80s would remember this story, there was an unforgettable incident at the popular mafoluku police station, Oshodi. The police station was so popular cos of the incident that took place years back. This man came Home from America. It was already late to go home so the driver was asked to drop him off at the nearest police station. They left the airport for mafoluku police station with his foreign mentality that the police station was a safe place.

To cut the long story short, this man left as soon as he dropped him off but went to the man's family house on his instruction to tell his brother and uncle that he had arrived but would come home the following morning . He asked the driver to come and pick him up at the station the following day. On approaching the station, the driver saw the returnee's lifeless body on a street close to the police station. The driver didn't bother to go to the station. He just made a u-turn and headed straight for his family house to report what had happened. His uncle, who was a retired army officer grabbed his gun and asked the driver to accompany him to the station. On arrival, he asked of his cousin's whereabouts and the police on duty were blabbing. They first said there was nobody by that name here. The man sprayed all of them with bullets while the driver looked on, in shock.

The military man now began searching the body of the officers and found dollars there. A smart few mong them who did night had left with their own share of the dollar before the military came. He was able to kill a few left behind and some who just resumed in the morning to take over. The station was shut for many years before being reopened. Fear naija police.

It's because of this incident, I started developing phobia for Nigerian police. They killed him and labelled him an arm robber. If not for the driver, nobody would know what happened to him.
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 10, 2022
hopefulLandlord:

The Calling for backup part is either untrue or there's something else he's omitted from the story

Thanks very much!
Re: What an American Police Did To My Friend When $2,000 Was Found In His Car by Eriokanmi: 7:04pm On Dec 10, 2022
April4th:

It's because of this incident, I started developing phobia for Nigerian police. They killed him and labelled him an arm robber. If not for the driver, nobody would know what happened to him.
So you too remember the the unfortunate incident? What a terrible day in Lagos. The Nigeria police are even complicit in most of the kidnapping going on in Nigeria today. They'd soon be exposed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria's Foreign Reserves Rise To $42Billion! / Paypal Fund And Pay 4 Me Services / World's Most Expensive Dog. Bought For $1.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.