Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,163 members, 7,835,895 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press (19436 Views)

Obaigbena To Alake, Onanuga: Present Your Candidate For Live Townhall Meetings / Dele Alake: Tinubu Showed The Calibre Of His Team / Tinubu's Wealth Is From Buying Of Stocks - Dele Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by emkz: 10:49am On Dec 12, 2022
seunmsg:
This is a very partisan and condemnable press statement. AriseTv and Thisday have finally come out clearly to declare war on Bola Tinubu. This is not what free press is all about.

Anyway, let them continue with the fake news and senseless attacks, it’s just for a while. AIT once toed this ignoble path for PDP and they are as good as dead today. We shall all be here to see how it ends.

ThisDay and Arise News have always showed they are anti-Tinubu. They have publicly taken a stand as if they have a dog in the fight.

One reason I want Tinubu to win is that they hatred towards that man is alarming. No one hates a bad person who feathers his nest. See how a newspaper talked about a "Noriega moment", stating that they believe Tinubu is a drug baron without independently doing their own investigations. This same media outlet has been fined for spreading unverified news about Tinubu, claiming that INEC was investigating him. This same media outlet allowed David Hundeyin to lie that Sam Omatseye called President Jonathan a goat. Charles Aniagolu also claimed that Tinubu should not allow himself to be interviewed by journalists working for him, seemingly accusing his colleagues on the other side of bias.

Arise News and ThisDay have been anything but fair. This is how they fought Wike and he took them to court. Abati has insulted Wike severally on Arise News.

Those who should be objective keep praising Arise News. Right now, the only objective television station is Channels. All these wannabe journalists in Arise News know nothing about professional ethics.

Finally, Nduka Obaigbena has been accused of collecting money from former NSA Dasuki. He should clear himself. He should also tell us why the Arise MD Ijeoma Nwaogwugwu resigned. He should also tell us that ThisDay did not make money by doing PR for PDP politicians from the Jonathan years, and doing PR for Atiku right now. I am quite shocked how they have suddenly become so patriotic as if they are not after protecting their business interests.

One thing I want from this election is a media war. Many of those in the media we think are fighting for our interests are only after protecting their business interests. Should Reuben Abati who contested as a running mate with Buruju Kashamu be speaking against APC in a media outlet and we praise him for objectivity? Should Rufai Oseni who publicly supported Atiku/Obi in 2019 be speaking against APC and we expect objectivity? Was Nduka Obaigbena not showed on video praising Tambuwal as the slayer of Wike and a future Nigerian President during his mother's funeral? Have you seen the Chairmen of Punch, Channels TV, Vanguard, etc engaging in such? Do you even know the Chairman of Punch newspapers?

The big issue is that many attempted to become politically conscious this year and are not aware of the antecedents of some of those pretending to fight for us. They are first and foremost businessmen. Their profit is more important than you.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by edungene7: 10:51am On Dec 12, 2022
We the Yoruba Christians we never allow evil to take over our land Tinubu ti lule

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by shinealight(m): 11:02am On Dec 12, 2022
HIGHESTPOPORI:
Nigerians are behind this day and Arise news

Not true! This Day and Arise News are linked to Nduka Obaigbena who is fronting for PDP.
He who comes to equity must come with clean hands!
As professional broadcasters they must show themselves to be non-partisan, but they have failed in this from the get-go. Simplicita! cool

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by shinealight(m): 11:04am On Dec 12, 2022
This Day and Arise News are linked to Nduka Obaigbena who is fronting for PDP.
He who comes to equity must come with clean hands!
As professional broadcasters they must show themselves to be non-partisan, but they have failed in this from the get-go. Simplicita! cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:07am On Dec 12, 2022
Joevics:
Tinubu's camp are not in power yet, but are asking the media to sack journalists.

Meanwhile this same Rufai doesn't give Peter Obi space to breathe whenever they have an interview.

The last time he asked him the same questions about his security plan up to 5 times, and Urchins here were jubilating.

But they don't want their pampers wearing delusional candidate to be interviewed.
they would still announced tinubu as president... Obi as Third or fourth position... How many Nigerians know about Arise TV... A media arm that's bias to PDP and labour... Tinubu no kuku send una

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Joevics(m): 11:09am On Dec 12, 2022
OGHENAOGIE:
they would still announced tinubu as president... Obi as Third or fourth position... How many Nigerians know about Arise TV... A media arm that's bias to PDP and labour... Tinubu no kuku send una
Yet Tinubu is crying. Trying to get Rufai fired.
Lol. You are a kid if you don't understand that it's now fire for fire.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Duru009(m): 11:18am On Dec 12, 2022
Arise Tv remains the best television in Nigeria for now.....

3 Likes

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Ofunaofu: 11:19am On Dec 12, 2022
grin
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:24am On Dec 12, 2022
Joevics:

Yet Tinubu is crying. Trying to get Rufai fired.
Lol. You are a kid if you don't understand that it's now fire for fire.
how is tinubu crying... Onanuga and alake are only giving Arise TV media a dose of their blackmail gimmicks... Tinubu won't appear on that blackmail Media and they ll announced him as president next year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:32am On Dec 12, 2022
fergie001:

SOURCE

It's a mafia game.
Who you cannot buy, you bully. Who do cannot bully, you bury.
I can already see urchins issuing threats on behalf of the accused

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by sarris(m): 11:33am On Dec 12, 2022
APC are really angry that they don’t control the mainstream media and the social media today. Two areas they used against GEJ in 2015. Their fortunes are sliding and it will only get worse for them as Nigeria draws closer to the 2023 elections.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by SocialJustice: 11:33am On Dec 12, 2022
Okoroawusa:

Peter Obi had better come to polling units with bag of money. My vote is N10m else it goes to Bola Tinubu.

I can not sell my right to verified good governance for peanuts of lies and fake stas. Even the N10m I don't think they can afford it because Doyin Okupe has used a part of it to buy two Range Rover cars.
Underdog has no say in such matters. Votes by defaults are for Obi, even Tinubu knows.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:40am On Dec 12, 2022
emkz:

ThisDay and Arise News have always showed they are anti-Tinubu. They have publicly taken a stand as if they have a dog in the fight.

One reason I want Tinubu to win is that they hatred towards that man is alarming. No one hates a bad person who feathers his nest. See how a newspaper talked about a "Noriega moment", stating that they believe Tinubu is a drug baron without independently doing their own investigations. This same media outlet has been fined for spreading unverified news about Tinubu, claiming that INEC was investigating him. This same media outlet allowed David Hundeyin to lie that Sam Omatseye called President Jonathan a goat. Charles Aniagolu also claimed that Tinubu should not allow himself to be interviewed by journalists working for him, seemingly accusing his colleagues on the other side of bias.

Arise News and ThisDay have been anything but fair. This is how they fought Wike and he took them to court. Abati has insulted Wike severally on Arise News.

Those who should be objective keep praising Arise News. Right now, the only objective television station is Channels. All these wannabe journalists in Arise News know nothing about professional ethics.

Finally, Nduka Obaigbena has been accused of collecting money from former NSA Dasuki. He should clear himself. He should also tell us why the Arise MD Ijeoma Nwaogwugwu resigned. He should also tell us that ThisDay did not make money by doing PR for PDP politicians from the Jonathan years, and doing PR for Atiku right now. I am quite shocked how they have suddenly become so patriotic as if they are not after protecting their business interests.

One thing I want from this election is a media war. Many of those in the media we think are fighting for our interests are only after protecting their business interests. Should Reuben Abati who contested as a running mate with Buruju Kashamu be speaking against APC in a media outlet and we praise him for objectivity? Should Rufai Oseni who publicly supported Atiku/Obi in 2019 be speaking against APC and we expect objectivity? Was Nduka Obaigbena not showed on video praising Tambuwal as the slayer of Wike and a future Nigerian President during his mother's funeral? Have you seen the Chairmen of Punch, Channels TV, Vanguard, etc engaging in such? Do you even know the Chairman of Punch newspapers?

The big issue is that many attempted to become politically conscious this year and are not aware of the antecedents of some of those pretending to fight for us. They are first and foremost businessmen. Their profit is more important than you.
See wailing
The Nation that publishes fake news every now and then in support of APC is not worse abi?
Nduka has freedom of association. He may or may not be PDP but I wonder what right you have to accuse him if bias toward PDP when the APC candidate owns a newspaper and TV channel too.
Or is APC having the monopoly of free press?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by higgs: 11:45am On Dec 12, 2022
If this man Tinubu somehow becomes president,Nigeria will become a laughing stock in the comity of nations.A man who is linked to narcotics trafficking and has forfeited a huge amount of money for said offence should not be the leader of any reasonable country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by 3seriez(m): 11:45am On Dec 12, 2022
Lol.. Nigeria is about to vote a drug mule as their president. We all got skeletons in our closet, but some more than others. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Faposky95: 11:46am On Dec 12, 2022
the Press in our country is going through a lot....
this same Press stood solid during the Military Juntas.....
rotten civilians who know nothing of a future of ' LIVE and LET's LIVE'.....
continue to hang around causing confusion as paid employment.....lets say its ok

Press on PRESS.....
the TRUTH is stronger than all the sycophants bundled together in a can of sardines
spill it till our hearts carry the burden all our lives......
is this not a religious country.......?

Truth can bring Peace
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Masterclass32: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2022
Those 'urchinated' folks will not rest. Whenever they're asked simple questions they flare up. They think election is won by intimidating and threatening the media.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Mrmb: 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2022
Joevics:
Tinubu's camp are not in power yet, but are asking the media to sack journalists.

Meanwhile this same Rufai doesn't give Peter Obi space to breathe whenever they have an interview.

The last time he asked him the same questions about his security plan up to 5 times, and Urchins here were jubilating.

But they don't want their pampers wearing delusional candidate to be interviewed.

The media house that was unprofessional and led to them being fined by the law court?

That says it all... The media shouldn't be bias, they shouldn't take sides. Any media openly taking sides has fine against the etiquettes of journalism

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by ZombieSlayer1: 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2022
FrancescoFarino:
Ashiwaju Jagaban himself
This man has suffered shaa, after shamelessly licking the asses of the north they're repaying him by secretly supporting their brother. Tinubu is only sure of a few South Western states and maybe Borno. Even lagos isn't sure for him. I just hope he survives next year's election loss

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by emkz: 12:24pm On Dec 12, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

See wailing
The Nation that publishes fake news every now and then in support of APC is not worse abi?
Nduka has freedom of association. He may or may not be PDP but I wonder what right you have to accuse him if bias toward PDP when the APC candidate owns a newspaper and TV channel too.
Or is APC having the monopoly of free press?

Please read what I wrote carefully and respond to the issues at hand. We are not talking about Nations newspapers, but a media organization that has shown bias. I am talking about the erosion of professional ethics.

Are you aware that Nduka Obaigbena has been banned from being a director of any organization in the UK for professional misconduct?

I have been here for a while and we know some of the underhand dealings of media organizations and cannot be deceived to trust some of them.

We are not saying there shouldn't be freedom of association, we are saying there should be no pretences about it to make it seem as if they are on the side of the people. We know whose side they are on and we do not fault them. We are saying they should not drag everyone to their circus.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Fiscus105(m): 12:24pm On Dec 12, 2022
Misterone:
when free press is one sided, then it is no longer free press but a mouth piece for the highest bidder.

Wen a particular party/candidate only want praises and not subject herself to same scrutiny they subject others to, fear that particular party. It's a sign of incoming calamity.

Go and check Onanuga during abacha regime, u will come back and fear for human being, most especially from naija nation. .......hero yesteryear but monster today....

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Agbegbaorogboye: 12:38pm On Dec 12, 2022
emkz:

Please read what I wrote carefully and respond to the issues at hand. We are not talking about Nations newspapers, but a media organization that has shown bias . I am talking about the erosion of professional ethics.

Are you aware that Nduka Obaigbena has been banned from being a director of any organization in the UK for professional misconduct?

I have been here for a while and we know some of the underhand dealings of media organizations and cannot be deceived to trust some of them.

We are not saying there shouldn't be freedom of association, we are saying there should be no pretences about it to make it seem as if they are on the side of the people. We know whose side they are on and we do not fault them. We are saying they should not drag everyone to their circus.
At the bolded is what I'm still on.
Why do you attack Arise and ThisDay for allegedly showing bias while you leave out The Nation and TVC who are obviously worse in they bias and publicly associate with a party and its candidate?
I'm sure both The Nation and TVC will like to be seen as being on the side of the people or do you think they'll gladly accept the tag of being a partisan outfit?
The fact is you're already bias in your tirade against Arise and ThisDay which makes you unfit to climb the pulpit to preach neutrality.
If not, you'll look at the meat of the matter. Why is a certain presidential candidate shunning our local media and giving access to foreign outfits. Does it speak well of us as an independent democracy? I've never seen a PM hopeful in UK speak to nta or channels while ignoring BBC and sky news. I wonder how such a candidate will fare in the eyes of the British public.
Secondly, the drugs case is a topic that demands full disclosure on the part of Tinubu. Instead, it's been a carefully orchestrated move to kill the story ASAP.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by a4cube: 12:51pm On Dec 12, 2022
Okoroawusa:
AIT do pass this one that time.....the future is pregnant and no one knows what it will deliver.
I thought it was sure plug for Jagaban.

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by emkz: 1:15pm On Dec 12, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

At the bolded is what I'm still on.
Why do you attack Arise and ThisDay for allegedly showing bias while you leave out The Nation and TVC who are obviously worse in they bias and publicly associate with a party and its candidate?
I'm sure both The Nation and TVC will like to be seen as being on the side of the people or do you think they'll gladly accept the tag of being a partisan outfit?
The fact is you're already bias in your tirade against Arise and ThisDay which makes you unfit to climb the pulpit to preach neutrality.
If not, you'll look at the meat of the matter. Why is a certain presidential candidate shunning our local media and giving access to foreign outfits. Does it speak well of us as an independent democracy? I've never seen a PM hopeful in UK speak to nta or channels while ignoring BBC and sky news. I wonder how such a candidate will fare in the eyes of the British public.
Secondly, the drugs case is a topic that demands full disclosure on the part of Tinubu. Instead, it's been a carefully orchestrated move to kill the story ASAP.

Do you remember when Segun Osoba, Dele Giwa, Babatunde Jose, Alade Odunewu, Mamman Daura, Mike Awoyinfa and so many others did journalism in Nigeria? They'd go to the end of the earth to get the news. People in government feared them.

Your last point is that the drug issue requires full disclosure from Bola Tinubu. Why has the media you are hyping not spent their money to do full investigations on the case and give us the story? Many of you rely on the writings of David Hundeyin. I listen and read David Hundeyin on this drug matter and I can identify severe lapses in his reasoning, for example, he claimed that the IGP asked the American Embassy if Tinubu was convicted instead of asking if Tinubu was indicted. He then went on to conclude that "there must have been some sort of indictment". Many pseudo-intelligent persons believe and run with it. Those that handled the so-called case then, are they not alive? Has the US Embassy in Nigeria closed? Why can't they go and use these same channels to investigate? If you accuse, prove your case beyond reasonable doubts. Some media organizations are lazy to do the work and you know it, which is reason they ask daft questions, like how someone made his money, which primary school he attended, who disvirgined him and so on.

Then on the Chicago State University story, an Arise News journalist believed that Tinubu never attended there, and was spewing balderdash while some of us wondered what it would cost for a seemingly reputable news organization to send an email or even a journalist on a fact-finding mission to the school to confirm. They attacked the person who was sensible enough to go there to find out. What I see in Arise News is mostly the sentiments of the anchors and owner being sold to the public, and claiming objectivity.

That you don't agree with my opinion does not mean you should attack it as a tirade. Argue against me objectively. You dragging the Nation newspaper/TVC and saying they do it too does not excuse the fact that Arise News and Thisday dropped the ball in objectivity. If TVC and the Nation attempt to undermine a Presidential candidate, we shall condemn them.

Then to your question about a Presidential candidate shunning local media stations. You assumed I am a defender of Tinubu. Is that not bias on your part? I will humour you. Now, you say why ignore local media and talk with foreign media. I will tell you why: the interview with BBC eclipsed the interviews and townhall of Arise News both in viewership and comments, despite Arise hosting three Presidential candidates the night before. Some stations are not interested in what the candidates are offering, they are only interested in ratings and winning awards. Does Tinubu's attendance at townhalls not receive coverage by media stations? Does he not speak to everyone? But to some of you, he must attend an interview with obviously biased journalists in a TV station that you like. Watch that interview Arise had with Atiku, you'd know where they are leaning.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Atlantis585: 1:20pm On Dec 12, 2022
Absolutely right. For Thiefnubbu BATstards, it’s either you swallow their defective candidate or argument or they will call you all manner of names.

Arise must not lower their standards because of one olodo running for an office he does not have the competence for.

I am still wondering why Ruben Abati still has a job at that station. He is the worst journalist they have there right now. It is obvious he is a Thiefnubbu supporter who has also run out of ideas and unable to ask probing or follow up questions to those toothless bull-dummies from APC.

RUBEN ABATI OF ARISE TV MUST GO!

1 Like

Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by ogmask: 1:46pm On Dec 12, 2022
Omihanifa:
Both bayo onanuga and dele alake are just attack dogs for bola Tinubu. And they can go to any lenght just to make their pay master happy.

If they are claiming mueez akande is not dead, then why the mueez never come out to press charges on this day newspapers.

Both of them clearly knows that what they are marketing is really bad. If Tinubu has done very well as they are trying to make us believe, he won't even need to be campaigning this hard to be honest.

Apt....
but the narrative which drew Donald Trump into the fray almost wrecked the essence.
it is true indeed, that Donald Trump was right all along with the recent take over of twitter.
i think they should have stuck to their lines without the trump and panama scenarios.
The Americans knew Noriega befor they installed him. He case was a use and dump,
The truth is that the mainstream media is corrupt and biased against trump.
lemme ask you, (1)how much coverage have they given the Biden scandal?
(2) How much dirt have the found on trump in 6yrs since they started investigating him.
Thisday may have a good case but comparing Trump to Tinubu and his PCC is a no no for me.
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by 4gunners(m): 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2022
emkz:

Time will tell. It is the naive people I blame.
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Agbegbaorogboye: 2:10pm On Dec 12, 2022
emkz:

Do you remember when Segun Osoba, Dele Giwa, Babatunde Jose, Alade Odunewu, Mamman Daura, Mike Awoyinfa and so many others did journalism in Nigeria? They'd go to the end of the earth to get the news. People in government feared them.

Your last point is that the drug issue requires full disclosure from Bola Tinubu. Why has the media you are hyping not spent their money to do full investigations on the case and give us the story? Many of you rely on the writings of David Hundeyin. I listen and read David Hundeyin on this drug matter and I can identify severe lapses in his reasoning, for example, he claimed that the IGP asked the American Embassy if Tinubu was convicted instead of asking if Tinubu was indicted. He then went on to conclude that "there must have been some sort of indictment". Many pseudo-intelligent persons believe and run with it. Those that handled the so-called case then, are they not alive? Has the US Embassy in Nigeria closed? Why can't they go and use these same channels to investigate? If you accuse, prove your case beyond reasonable doubts. Some media organizations are lazy to do the work and you know it, which is reason they ask daft questions, like how someone made his money, which primary school he attended, who disvirgined him and so on.

Then on the Chicago State University story, an Arise News journalist believed that Tinubu never attended there, and was spewing balderdash while some of us wondered what it would cost for a seemingly reputable news organization to send an email or even a journalist on a fact-finding mission to the school to confirm. They attacked the person who was sensible enough to go there to find out. What I see in Arise News is mostly the sentiments of the anchors and owner being sold to the public, and claiming objectivity.

That you don't agree with my opinion does not mean you should attack it as a tirade. Argue against me objectively. You dragging the Nation newspaper/TVC and saying they do it too does not excuse the fact that Arise News and Thisday dropped the ball in objectivity. If TVC and the Nation attempt to undermine a Presidential candidate, we shall condemn them.

Then to your question about a Presidential candidate shunning local media stations. You assumed I am a defender of Tinubu. Is that not bias on your part? I will humour you. Now, you say why ignore local media and talk with foreign media. I will tell you why: the interview with BBC eclipsed the interviews and townhall of Arise News both in viewership and comments, despite Arise hosting three Presidential candidates the night before. Some stations are not interested in what the candidates are offering, they are only interested in ratings and winning awards. Does Tinubu's attendance at townhalls not receive coverage by media stations? Does he not speak to everyone? But to some of you, he must attend an interview with obviously biased journalists in a TV station that you like. Watch that interview Arise had with Atiku, you'd know where they are leaning.
At the bolded: Where's your condemnation of The Nation writing an article with the heading: Obituary. In that same article, they blatantly labelled all supporters of Obi as IPOB members without any cogent fact to back it up! Thousands of Nigerians just got labelled terrorists for their democratic choice by a prominent newspaper and nothing happened!! I wonder what will be the reception if Thisday were to label Tinubu supporters junkies and addicts.

As concerning the drugs matter, the first and basic tenet of objectivity is fair hearing. When the issue first broke, Keyamo went to channels and started insulting the intelligence of journalists by asking Seun to pick a biro and paper while making no point at all to show he was briefed by his principal. Everything he said was just his own conjectures and opinions. No side of the story from Tinubu's camp till today. If you have, share with me. Yet you accuse Nigerian journalists of not investigating enough. It is that lacuna that gives latitude for people like David and Reno to push their own narrative and then Tinubu's henchmen turn round to attack the media instead of countering such narratives with their own defense.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have not accused you of supporting Tinubu. What I called out is you accusng Arise of partiality as if it's unique to them while you leave out the most biased platform after NTA, TVC.
You simply sidestepped my question to you. Media ratings or not, is it right for our presidential candidates to ignore our local media while granting interviews to foreign media? Donald Trump was at war with a large section of US media before becoming President. He even bragged more than Tinubu about being CNN's ratings ticket. But I didn't see him because of that jump to Al-Jazeera or NTA or BBC for interviews. There are other platforms Tinubu can explore if he feels Arise are not fair to him. What's not fair to Nigerians and Nigerian media, is ignoring them in favour of foreign media. I thought politicians always preach to the public the need to embrace home made goods?!!

There's a thin line between fear and hatred. You actually hate what you fear. The fear of the media during the era you mentioned led to the death of some journalists notably Dele Giwa. If Tinubu's henchmen do not fear the media today, I doubt they will attack them so much as to demand the sack of some of the journalists.
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by tunapawizzy: 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2022
u people should vote this guy fess, then u will see pepper,
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by emkz: 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

At the bolded: Where's your condemnation of The Nation writing an article with the heading: Obituary. In that same article, they blatantly labelled all supporters of Obi as IPOB members without any cogent fact to back it up! Thousands of Nigerians just got labelled terrorists for their democratic choice by a prominent newspaper and nothing happened!! I wonder what will be the reception if Thisday were to label Tinubu supporters junkies and addicts.

As concerning the drugs matter, the first and basic tenet of objectivity is fair hearing. When the issue first broke, Keyamo went to channels and started insulting the intelligence of journalists by asking Seun to pick a biro and paper while making no point at all to show he was briefed by his principal. Everything he said was just his own conjectures and opinions. No side of the story from Tinubu's camp till today. If you have, share with me. Yet you accuse Nigerian journalists of not investigating enough. It is that lacuna that gives latitude for people like David and Reno to push their own narrative and then Tinubu's henchmen turn round to attack the media instead of countering such narratives with their own defense.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have not accused you of supporting Tinubu. What I called out is you accusng Arise of partiality as if it's unique to them while you leave out the most biased platform after NTA, TVC.
You simply sidestepped my question to you. Media ratings or not, is it right for our presidential candidates to ignore our local media while granting interviews to foreign media? Donald Trump was at war with a large section of US media before becoming President. He even bragged more than Tinubu about being CNN's ratings ticket. But I didn't see him because of that jump to Al-Jazeera or NTA or BBC for interviews. There are other platforms Tinubu can explore if he feels Arise are not fair to him. What's not fair to Nigerians and Nigerian media, is ignoring them in favour of foreign media. I thought politicians always preach to the public the need to embrace home made goods?!!

There's a thin line between fear and hatred. You actually hate what you fear. The fear of the media during the era you mentioned led to the death of some journalists notably Dele Giwa. If Tinubu's henchmen do not fear the media today, I doubt they will attack them so much as to demand the sack of some of the journalists.

You did not bother to address some of the issues I raised and accused me of sidestepping your question.

I rued lack of professionalism by ThisDay and Arise News, you did not address the issues raised and instead brought in unprofessionalism by the Nation and TVC. I asked you to show me where they tried to undermine a Presidential candidate, and you cited Sam Omatseye's infamous Obi-tüary article.

I condemn that article in totality now as I did then. Even though that article was the opinion of the journalist, it was in bad taste. Can you also condemn Arise News for giving David Hundeyin the platform to insult Sam Omatseye where he falsely accused Omatseye of being in a protest and called Jonathan a goat? Can you condemn Arise News for showing a false picture and claiming it was Omatseye who hanged a sign on a goat saying the goat's name is Jonathan? Arise News apologized to Tinubu for falsely reporting that INEC was investigating him, is that not self-indictment on the part of Arise News?

After Omatseye's infamous article, he was cyberbullied and threatened with death, even his obituary posters were printed. It was fair right?

I did not side-step your question. I noticed you were not attacking my points, rather you bring in new extraneous points to challenge me.

Now, talking about whether it is right for a Presidential candidate to talk to foreign News outlets, please which candidate hasn't done it? The colonial mentality affects all candidates who spend time abroad discussing with all sorts of people. So far, we have seen evidence of Tinubu and Obi talking to people in the diaspora; Atiku and Kwankwaso went on foreign trips without showing us evidence of an meetings. So if you raised that point to convict any candidate, know that even the candidate you may be supporting is guilty.

Our democracy seems immature and poorly managed leading to candidates going to places where they can't get votes to talk to people that don't matter. My suspicion is that they want to get the hype that comes with it. For me, it is absolute rubbish.

Let us stop comparing Nigeria with UK and US in terms of political behaviour. We are still far off from there. In France, the mere accusation that someone collected a loan from a foreign country to run a Presidential election was a scandal. But in Nigeria, anything goes, including seemingly biased media organizations whose only interest is profit trying to appear patriotic.

We should question everything.

Finally, DO YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE DELE ALAKE AND BAYO ONANUGA WILL ACTUALLY DEMAND FOR ANYONE TO BE SACKED OR MOVED ELSEWHERE ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW THE ORGANIZATION IS PRO ANOTHER CANDIDATE? If you believe that, then you are someone who allows the media to control him.
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:19pm On Dec 12, 2022
emkz:

You did not bother to address some of the issues I raised and accused me of sidestepping your question.

I rued lack of professionalism by ThisDay and Arise News, you did not address the issues raised and instead brought in unprofessionalism by the Nation and TVC. I asked you to show me where they tried to undermine a Presidential candidate, and you cited Sam Omatseye's infamous Obi-tüary article.

I condemn that article in totality now as I did then. Even though that article was the opinion of the journalist, it was in bad taste. Can you also condemn Arise News for giving David Hundeyin the platform to insult Sam Omatseye where he falsely accused Omatseye of being in a protest and called Jonathan a goat? Can you condemn Arise News for showing a false picture and claiming it was Omatseye who hanged a sign on a goat saying the goat's name is Jonathan? Arise News apologized to Tinubu for falsely reporting that INEC was investigating him, is that not self-indictment on the part of Arise News?

After Omatseye's infamous article, he was cyberbullied and threatened with death, even his obituary posters were printed. It was fair right?

I did not side-step your question. I noticed you were not attacking my points, rather you bring in new extraneous points to challenge me.

Now, talking about whether it is right for a Presidential candidate to talk to foreign News outlets, please which candidate hasn't done it? The colonial mentality affects all candidates who spend time abroad discussing with all sorts of people. So far, we have seen evidence of Tinubu and Obi talking to people in the diaspora; Atiku and Kwankwaso went on foreign trips without showing us evidence of an meetings. So if you raised that point to convict any candidate, know that even the candidate you may be supporting is guilty.

Our democracy seems immature and poorly managed leading to candidates going to places where they can't get votes to talk to people that don't matter. My suspicion is that they want to get the hype that comes with it. For me, it is absolute rubbish.

Let us stop comparing Nigeria with UK and US in terms of political behaviour. We are still far off from there. In France, the mere accusation that someone collected a loan from a foreign country to run a Presidential election was a scandal. But in Nigeria, anything goes, including seemingly biased media organizations whose only interest is profit trying to appear patriotic.

We should question everything.

Finally, DO YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE DELE ALAKE AND BAYO ONANUGA WILL ACTUALLY DEMAND FOR ANYONE TO BE SACKED OR MOVED ELSEWHERE ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW THE ORGANIZATION IS PRO ANOTHER CANDIDATE? If you believe that, then you are someone who allows the media to control him.
What issues have you raised that I ignored?

David Hundeyin attacked Sam Omatseye on Arise news. But last I checked, Sam Omatseye is not running for president on the platform of APC. The matter is between Sam Omatseye and David Hundeyin. And that particular picture was not shown on Arise TV. It was TVC that showed that picture in relation to the interview. You can accuse Arise News of giving David a platform but fair journalism dictates that Sam should have a right of reply which he did on TVC. Mind you, the Arise interviewer made it clear the goat issue is simply David's claim.
At least Arise TV had the decency to apologize to Tinubu for the mix up which was obviously not deliberate. Has The Nation apologized to Obi for printing his obituary?

Those who printed Sam's obituary were those he labelled IPOB. I think he should be glad the only harm terrorists did to him was to print his obituary and nothing else.

You have tactically sidestepped my question again. My question bothers on a candidate ignoring our media and frolicking with foreign media. There's nothing ordinarily wrong in a candidate having an interview with foreign media outlets. Candidates from other countries do so too. Obama had an interview with BBC while running in 2008. I'm specifically talking about a candidate refusing to speak to our local media while romancing foreign ones. The context is totally different from what your epistle responds to.

Why don't you wait for Dele Alake and Bayo Onanuga to deny the accusation before jumping to their defence? You seem to be too eager to nail Arise TV you're ready to throw anything at them. This shows you're biased against Arise again. First you wrongly accused them of showing a picture they never did just because you saw it on TVC without confirming. Now you're pointedly accusing them of lying!!
I don't think Arise TV and ThisDay will author a statement and make such allegations without cogent evidence. The guys in those organisations are not kids at this kinds of things too.
Re: ThisDay Editors To Dele Alake, Onanuga: You Cannot Bully Or Silence Free Press by Spandau: 4:27pm On Dec 12, 2022
seunmsg:
This is a very partisan and condemnable press statement. AriseTv and Thisday have finally come out clearly to declare war on Bola Tinubu. This is not what free press is all about.

Anyway, let them continue with the fake news and senseless attacks, it’s just for a while. AIT once toed this ignoble path for PDP and they are as good as dead today. We shall all be here to see how it ends.

Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

28 Killed In Fresh Southern Kaduna Attack / Disregard Apapa’s Letter Seeking Withdrawal Of Obi’s Cases Against Tinubu, LP Te / Buhari’s Rejection Of Electoral Bill, An Act Of Desperation – CUPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.