Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,924 members, 7,824,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares (13229 Views)

Video Of Obidients Marching To Teslim Balogun Stadium For Peter Obi Mega Rally / Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-off Discos’ Shares / The Game Is Over For APC As Buhari Receives Marching Order To Accept Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by deeway200(m): 8:06am On Dec 14, 2022
Dreal1247:
There is something that we have not been able to understand. Those stealing the common wealth of this country, are they human beings or animals? I understand that the best use of funds is investment. But when one keeps siphoning funds only to stack them in different places or even to domicile them in banks, I think it is foolishness and madness manifesting from the same angle.
You are right bro. Those politicians are alariburuku
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by stevups(m): 8:11am On Dec 14, 2022
beejay509:
Pls just vote for Peter Obi and watch the country grow
But why not Sowore? I think Sowore is younger
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by UnknownT: 8:19am On Dec 14, 2022
Ease of doing business in the mud. How can 40percent share owner wake up one day and sack 60 percent share owner? Because the minority has government backing it. Then again, it serves the investors right, you took a loan to buy a disco but for years, you haven't been servicing the loan, declaring losses to the Government but taking the profits to yourself, no major investment in the disco you bought, running the Disco same way the Glazer's family have been rumning ManUtd. Case study is the Benin Disco that was bought by Vigeo Holdings

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Eniitankorede: 8:21am On Dec 14, 2022
yomi961:
Vote atiku abubakar.

As Vice President between 1999 and 2007, Atiku played a crucial role in upturning the damages of the military regimes on the country, accomplishing a lot, some of which include overseeing the process that paved the way for the liberalization of the telecommunication sector. During that time, Atiku gained wide experience– many of which would come in handy in the job of fixing Nigeria.

Atiku’s vision for building an economy that is strong and not reliant on oil derivation makes so much sense. Not only does Atiku have a plan to encourage active participation of the private sector in the growth of Nigeria’s economy, but he also has a plan to make sure it produced the trickle-down benefits enjoyed in many other parts of the world which does the same.

And assuring about Atiku is the fact that his ideas for Nigeria are not made in vague terms or failed promises, rather they are what has worked elsewhere and can work here too. His policy document in circulation showed he listens to the issues facing every average Nigerian and is ready to do something about them.

Atiku that wants to sell NNPC to his friends at cheap prices? Atiku that wants to sell refineries at cheap prices again? The ones he sold was a waste of resources and of no benefit to anyone. God forbid.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Eniitankorede: 8:23am On Dec 14, 2022
Tinubu will even do better. The first Governor to bring independent power supply to Nigeria. That’s the person we want. Not failures like Atiku and Obi.

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by BreconHills(m): 8:58am On Dec 14, 2022
Ofodirinwa:
This disco of a thing is a joke. People who don't know anything about power buying shares of a dead power distribution infrastructure from a government that didn't maintain it for 4 decades. Then making their friends the heads of this already dead thing, then annoying regular people with hiked fee to compensate for their stupid corrupt investment.

How exactly does something 'sack' an investor if the investor really put their money in the company? Is this not a sign that shares were handed to cronies rather than actually sold to investors to begin with, and now the cronies are being sacked?

Whose cronies? Current Discos were set up under GEJ admin

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 14, 2022
Davies25:
There's something about Buhari's government I don't understand. In one aspect you feel they have failed extremely. In some, you discover they've done extremely well.
I wish we don't miss Buhari in the near future.
I hope the next government will do much better.
God bless Nigeria.
We have nowhere else to call home.
true. I always get this feeling too

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by JAGS001(m): 9:15am On Dec 14, 2022
yomi961:
Vote atiku abubakar.

As Vice President between 1999 and 2007, Atiku played a crucial role in upturning the damages of the military regimes on the country, accomplishing a lot, some of which include overseeing the process that paved the way for the liberalization of the telecommunication sector. During that time, Atiku gained wide experience– many of which would come in handy in the job of fixing Nigeria.

Atiku’s vision for building an economy that is strong and not reliant on oil derivation makes so much sense. Not only does Atiku have a plan to encourage active participation of the private sector in the growth of Nigeria’s economy, but he also has a plan to make sure it produced the trickle-down benefits enjoyed in many other parts of the world which does the same.

And assuring about Atiku is the fact that his ideas for Nigeria are not made in vague terms or failed promises, rather they are what has worked elsewhere and can work here too. His policy document in circulation showed he listens to the issues facing every average Nigerian and is ready to do something about them.
you forgot to add "he sells off the disco's put us in many years darkness and trabaye with the money abroad with the help of his wife madam Titi" and also he was the sole distributor and ambassador of mikano generators in Nigeria that makes the rich less worried about electric power supply grin
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by emorse(m): 9:36am On Dec 14, 2022
UnknownT:
Ease of doing business in the mud. How. Can 40percent share owner wake up one day and sack 60 percent share owner? Because the minority has government backing it. Then again, it serves the investors right, you took a loan to buy a disco but for years, you haven't been servicing the loan, declaring losses to the Government but taking the profits to yourself, no major investment in the disco you bought, running the Disco same way the Glazer's family have been rumning ManUtd. Case study is the Benin Disco that was bought by Vigeo Holdings
Ah! Finally someone understands what I've been trying to explain to one man here who insists that tariffs must be increased before any improvements can be noticed. Whenever I try to make him understand that we're being tremendously over-billed and ripped off with estimated billing, he quotes one PWC document to back up his claims. Whether PWC dey follow me pay for light wey I no use. Abi whether there is 100% guarantee say the figures wey DISCOs give PWC dey accurate.

How do you run a business without investing in it? How do you make losses for five straight years yet refuse to step aside? How do you justify that you mean well yet frustrate every effort made to meter your customers?

Like you rightly pointed out, the government's move is not very good for our business image but I think it is necessary. The UK government did far worse to Russian businesses and heaven did not fall.

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by emorse(m): 9:38am On Dec 14, 2022
Davies25:
There's something about Buhari's government I don't understand. In one aspect you feel they have failed extremely. In some, you discover they've done extremely well.
I wish we don't miss Buhari in the near future.
I hope the next government will do much better.
God bless Nigeria.
We have nowhere else to call home.
There a high chance we will miss him. I almost got physically attacked when I said this sometime ago. I just close my mouth jeje.

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by owobokiri(m): 11:20am On Dec 14, 2022
No one is serious about solving the power problems here.
They're just trying to resell the discos to their cronies.
How many days before the end of Buharis term? They have been in power for almost 8 years.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by adejobi34h: 11:52am On Dec 14, 2022
I'm beginning to think differently...the new naira design is for the benefit of corrupt politicians...they want to store the new notes cos the old one are damaged and not expendableI'm beginning to think differently...the new naira design is for the benefit of corrupt politicians...they want to store the new notes cos the old one are damaged and not expendable...
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by otokx(m): 12:22pm On Dec 14, 2022
UnknownT:
Ease of doing business in the mud. How can 40percent share owner wake up one day and sack 60 percent share owner? Because the minority has government backing it. Then again, it serves the investors right, you took a loan to buy a disco but for years, you haven't been servicing the loan, declaring losses to the Government but taking the profits to yourself, no major investment in the disco you bought, running the Disco same way the Glazer's family have been rumning ManUtd. Case study is the Benin Disco that was bought by Vigeo Holdings

Is the BEDC matter not in court?
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by UnknownT: 12:42pm On Dec 14, 2022
otokx:

Is the BEDC matter not in court?
it is in court, adjourned till next year.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 2:25pm On Dec 14, 2022
Parachoko:
What have Okowa done with 110 billion Naira he got between 2021 and 2022 from the FG

What has he done in Delta that makes him stand out?
Paid that to Atiku and got the VP slot
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 2:28pm On Dec 14, 2022
emorse:

Ah! Finally someone understands what I've been trying to explain to one man here who insists that tariffs must be increased before any improvements can be noticed. Whenever I try to make him understand that we're being tremendously over-billed and ripped off with estimated billing, he quotes one PWC document to back up his claims. Whether PWC dey follow me pay for light wey I no use. Abi whether there is 100% guarantee say the figures wey DISCOs give PWC dey accurate.

How do you run a business without investing in it? How do you make losses for five straight years yet refuse to step aside? How do you justify that you mean well yet frustrate every effort made to meter your customers?

Like you rightly pointed out, the government's move is not very good for our business image but I think it is necessary. The UK government did far worse to Russian businesses and heaven did not fall.
if they resell it we al are still going to be in same boat. What the Fg needs to do is make sure the Discos owners are not truly making any profit, let us see if they wont re invest their monies like the telcoms.The way 4ward is to make Pre-paid meters mandatory for any charge or bills to be collected.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 2:29pm On Dec 14, 2022
BreconHills:

Look when PDP was in power Dangote was their friend, Now APC is in Power Dangote is still their friends, this is what cronies act like.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 2:31pm On Dec 14, 2022
Eniitankorede:

Atiku that wants to sell NNPC to his friends at cheap prices? Atiku that wants to sell refineries at cheap prices again? The ones he sold was a waste of resources and of no benefit to anyone. God forbid.
NNPC should be sold and a clause of quantity of product to be delivered daily plus committed investment. Why do you think the 6 Discos was taken over by the banks?People already lost monies in them Discos as they where not making money and could not fulfil their finical obligations t the banks.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by JoeNL22(m): 2:32pm On Dec 14, 2022
Buhari.....give marching orders to your people and associates to vote and canvass for Omoluabi Obi.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by worldTina(f): 2:32pm On Dec 14, 2022
Nice one
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by BreconHills(m): 3:10pm On Dec 14, 2022
erico2k2:

Look when PDP was in power Dangote was their friend, Now APC is in Power Dangote is still their friends, this is what cronies act like.

Dangote gives money to all parties during elections.

Cronies are people appointed and given licenses for the aim of benefit. GEJ overlooked Siemens to give disco licenses to friends and family. Those people give regular kickbacks.

Has Nigeria not gone back to the same Siemens now?
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Eniitankorede: 3:42pm On Dec 14, 2022
erico2k2:

NNPC should be sold and a clause of quantity of product to be delivered daily plus committed investment. Why do you think the 6 Discos was taken over by the banks?People already lost monies in them Discos as they where not making money and could not fulfil their finical obligations t the banks.

The discos were fraudulent contracts awarded by Peter Obi to incapable investors. That’s why he will never win this election.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by santuse: 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2022
OK, let them look for capable hands not their cronies
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by emorse(m): 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2022
erico2k2:

if they resell it we al are still going to be in same boat. What the Fg needs to do is make sure the Discos owners are not truly making any profit, let us see if they wont re invest their monies like the telcoms.The way 4ward is to make Pre-paid meters mandatory for any charge or bills to be collected.
I agree 100% with the bolded.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2022
Eniitankorede:

The discos were fraudulent contracts awarded by Peter Obi to incapable investors. That’s why he will never win this election.
YNo disrespect you still do not have any idea of what it means to privatize an FG asset like This, The Biz model of formal NEPA was split into two GENCOs and DISCOS, Brilliant idea. The only thing wrong with this is the Mode of operation, as it is with this present mode of operation even if it was sold at One Naira, you will still make a loss, The Only way this would work is to make sure that if they do not supply power, they do not get a kobo.What that means is this even if the GENCO was bought for N100 only, the will have to invest Millions to upgrade the infrastructure in order to make profit of some sort. The way forward is to mandate the owners of GENCOs to install Prepaid meters in all household B4 they can bill anyone. Take the Telcoms as case sturdy.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 7:50pm On Dec 14, 2022
BreconHills:

Dangote gives money to all parties during elections.

Cronies are people appointed and given licenses for the aim of benefit. GEJ overlooked Siemens to give disco licenses to friends and family. Those people give regular kickbacks.

Has Nigeria not gone back to the same Siemens now?
So in ur own understanding of all I wrote Dangote to you is not one of the said cronies?
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by BreconHills(m): 8:45pm On Dec 14, 2022
erico2k2:

So in ur own understanding of all I wrote Dangote to you is not one of the said cronies?

No he is not. He has a clear strategy to be in the good books of government irrespective of party. All large companies have the same goals - increase shareholder value.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Eniitankorede: 10:27pm On Dec 14, 2022
erico2k2:

YNo disrespect you still do not have any idea of what it means to privatize an FG asset like This, The Biz model of formal NEPA was split into two GENCOs and DISCOS, Brilliant idea. The only thing wrong with this is the Mode of operation, as it is with this present mode of operation even if it was sold at One Naira, you will still make a loss, The Only way this would work is to make sure that if they do not supply power, they do not get a kobo.What that means is this even if the GENCO was bought for N100 only, the will have to invest Millions to upgrade the infrastructure in order to make profit of some sort. The way forward is to mandate the owners of GENCOs to install Prepaid meters in all household B4 they can bill anyone. Take the Telcoms as case sturdy.

Obi and other committee members knew that the investors lacked capacity and funding. Yet they gave them the contracts. This was a disaster waiting to happen. Did they get bribed? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Ofodirinwa: 12:14am On Dec 15, 2022
BreconHills:

ok?
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by erico2k2(m): 5:18pm On Dec 15, 2022
Eniitankorede:

Obi and other committee members knew that the investors lacked capacity and funding. Yet they gave them the contracts. This was a disaster waiting to happen. Did they get bribed? Your guess is as good as mine.
Another demsay, wise investors knew that no matter how low the cost of Buying the newly privatized structure was ,they will run at a loss, so here comes the no experience people who thought it was a walk in the park, what happened to them now? they lost billions and the banks took over their assets. Its these same assets the FG is asking the banks to resell/relist in the public xchange.Would you put your one kobo into it if asked?
Re: Banks Get Marching Order To Sell-Off Discos’ Shares by Eniitankorede: 7:09pm On Dec 15, 2022
erico2k2:

Another demsay, wise investors knew that no matter how low the cost of Buying the newly privatized structure was ,they will run at a loss, so here comes the no experience people who thought it was a walk in the park, what happened to them now? they lost billions and the banks took over their assets. Its these same assets the FG is asking the banks to resell/relist in the public xchange.Would you put your one kobo into it if asked?

They were not stupid. They thought they were going to make a profit from extorting the people through estimated billing. But the new government fought against it. That’s why they are counting their loses.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis / APC Dissolves Rivers State Executives - Appoints 7-member Caretaker Committee / Headmaster, Three Teachers Shot In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.