Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,353 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis (13217 Views)

Lagos Thugs Impose N100 Levy On Individuals Using Yaba Pedestrian Bridge / Jim Obazee: Tinubu Appoints Special Investigator To Probe CBN & Related Entities / U.S. To Place Visa Restrictions On Individuals Who Undermined Nigeria's Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Islie: 7:52pm On Aug 09, 2023
Tinubu Orders CBN to Impose Financial Sanctions on Individuals, Entities Linked to Nigerien Coupists

*Says actions not based on religion, ethnicity

President Bola Tinubu has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to initiate a series of financial sanctions against individuals and entities associated with the leaders of the coup that truncated the democratic order in Niger Republic.

Special Adviser to the President on media and publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, who made this known on Tuesday while speaking with newsmen at the State House, Abuja, while not giving details of the sanctions, however, maintained that they were being instituted under the authority of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).

This move is in addition to electricity transmission already cut by Nigeria to Niger, its northern neighbours to pressurize the military to reinstate ousted President Mohamed Bazoum.

According to Ngelale: “The news is that Mr. President has directed the acting CBN governor to levy another slew of sanctions against entities and individuals associated with the military junta in Niger Republic.

“I said that intentionally. I didn’t make a mistake, because I was given permission to make that statement and I emphasize that this is not an individual action taken by an individual President on behalf of individual nation.

“This is an action taken. Yes, by ECOWAS chairman who is the president of Nigeria but standing on the authority provided by the consensus resolution of all ECOWAS members and heads of state with regard to financial sanctions being levied by ECOWAS Member States against the military junta in Niger Republic.

“There is an authority that we are standing on. It is not Nigerian government authority, it is the authority of the resolution passed in public before now.”

The Media Adviser explained that the actions against Niger being coordinated by President Tinubu were not personal as they were under the auspices of the ECOWAS where he is the Chairman of the Authority of Heads of State and Government.

His words: “Concerning the ultimatum given to the military Junta in Niger Republic, the ECOWAS mandate, and ultimatum is not a Nigerian ultimatum. It is not a Nigerian mandate.

“And the office of His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, also serving as the Chairman of ECOWAS, seeks to emphasize this point, that due to certain domestic and international media coverage, tending toward a personalization of the ECOWAS sub regional position to his person and to our nation individually.

“It is because of this that Mr. President has deemed it necessary to state unequivocally that the mandate and ultimatum issued by ECOWAS is that of ECOWAS’ position.

“While his Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has assumed the ECOWAS chairmanship, the position of ECOWAS conveys the consensus position of member heads of state. And a coup will not occur in one’s backyard, without one being particularly aware of it.

“The president in recent days, particularly following the expiration of the ultimatum given by ECOWAS has widened consultations internationally but most especially domestically, including interfacing with state governors in Nigeria, who govern states bordering Niger public on the various fallouts and outcomes of the unfortunate situation that has unfolded in Niger Republic.

“But President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, wishes to emphasize to this distinguished audience that the response of ECOWAS to the military coup in Niger has been and will remain devoid of ethnic and religious sentiments and considerations.

“The regional bloc is made up of all sub regional ethnic groups, religious groups, and all other forms of human diversity. And the response of ECOWAS, therefore, represents all of these groups, and not any of these groups individually.”

According to him, Thursday’s extraordinary summit of ECOWAS in Abuja will come up with far-reaching decisions on the recent developments in Niger Republic.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/08/08/tinubu-orders-cbn-to-impose-financial-sanctions-on-individuals-entities-linked-to-nigerien-coupists?amp=1

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Taylor90: 7:52pm On Aug 09, 2023
Tinubu shame on you

You keep going down and low everyday with your anti people policies

Anything lower than this you’ll discover oil 800 feet’s below the earth surface

Allow your fellow Niger mandate thief to breathe

Female student of Chicago University

94 Likes 13 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Beremx(f): 7:53pm On Aug 09, 2023
Buhari concentrated more on the development of Niger more than he did to Nigeria. Now, it's Tinubu's turn to concentrate more on Niger and he is forgetting he has to fix Nigeria.
Niger people are happy with the coup. Let dem breath!

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by immortalcrown(m): 7:54pm On Aug 09, 2023
Plenty plenty nonsense!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by FreeStuffsNG: 7:54pm On Aug 09, 2023
The moment I saw that it is the same people who jinxed Mr Obi were the ones supporting the coupists, I knew the coupists are jinxed with bad luck of not getting their wish. Nobody or nothing they support ever ends well. Check my signature for free stuffs!

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Alchemy528: 7:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by inoki247: 7:58pm On Aug 09, 2023
Lol So Nigerians too fit sponsor another Country sad sad

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by RenaissanceGuy: 8:22pm On Aug 09, 2023
Beremx:
Buhari concentrated more on the development of Niger more than he did to Nigeria. Now, it's Tinubu's turn to concentrate more on Niger and he is forgetting he has to fix Nigeria.
You think if the US military should overthrow Biden in a coup, hundreds of thousands of Trump supporters would not be on the street celebrating it, just like in Nigér?? Does that then mean that majority of Americans are in support of it??

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:30pm On Aug 09, 2023
Islie:

Tinubu Orders CBN to Impose Financial Sanctions on Individuals, Entities Linked to Nigerien Coupists

*Says actions not based on religion, ethnicity

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/08/08/tinubu-orders-cbn-to-impose-financial-sanctions-on-individuals-entities-linked-to-nigerien-coupists?amp=1

Nlfpmod

Ekpa n Obidients wey wan spons nko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Newkin(f): 9:16pm On Aug 09, 2023
May God protect his people

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Joshuaoseoboh(m): 9:16pm On Aug 09, 2023
X
Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Opportuneke(m): 9:16pm On Aug 09, 2023
Keep it up 👍 please.

Just maintain the momentum 🙏🏽

Sanctions upon sanctions until democracy is fully restored and a reasonable entity is placed in the corridors of power at the upper echelon 🙌🏻

Tomek09:

Yen yen yen. Go to Niger and fight the coupists. Fools

God bless you sir 🙏🏽

I COME IN PEACE ✌️

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by omoyankee3(m): 9:16pm On Aug 09, 2023
It's a complex situation
Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by oluwaseyi0: 9:17pm On Aug 09, 2023
Nigeria flexing muscles

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by justking(m): 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2023
shocked
Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Botragelad: 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2023
It's about time they faced the consequences of their actions. They can't just overthrow a democratically elected president and expect to get away with it. That's bang out of order.
By the time the sanctions starts biting hard, the people will either revolt against the coupist or suffer in silence. There's no way to justify dictatorship and coup, no matter what. Anyone who supports the coup is either daft or deluded.

With the sanctions from all angles, let's see how long Niger can survive it. The sanctions will affect their economy, trade, banking, energy, and diplomacy. They will lose access to foreign exchange, loans, investments, markets, and electricity. They will also face isolation and pressure from the international community. They will have no choice but to restore democracy or face collapse.

The people supporting the coupist online are only noisemakers who will find a way to run off from their country if the president gets overthrown. They are only looking for trouble and chaos.

9 Likes

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by maticar: 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The moment I saw that it is the same people who jinxed Mr Obi were the ones supporting the coupists, I knew the coupists are jinxed with bad luck of not getting their wish. Nobody or nothing they support ever ends well. Check my signature for free stuffs!
I think you need mental evaluation at this point

Seriously

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by LeeSmart: 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2023
Lol CBN funny ennh, better people de impose sanctions CBN self follow join dem.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Okortor: 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2023
Audio sanctions my foot. If sanctions actually do work, Russia would have been on their knees now begging the West.

Make Ecowas and Balablu dey play

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Timoleon(m): 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2023
Now we are joking 🙃

1 Like

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by EyeCumInPiece: 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
Buhari won't like this.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by LegendHero(m): 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
Beremx:

They won’t breathe. Jagaban is on their matter.

ECOWAS need to teach Niger a lesson which will serve as a deterrent to other coupist in West Africa countries practicing democracy from taking power forcefully.

There is nothing Tinubu is doing currently that affects his ability to govern Nigeria.

The only thing I won’t agree to is invading Niger. He should just continue to sanction them like this and make it so hard to govern just as other countries in Africa like Gbana and etc are currently doing too.

Nigeria is sanctioning Niger
Ghana is sanctioning Niger
And etc.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by marlow1962(m): 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
Clowns

1 Like

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
Asiwaju Giddem , they don't call you Jagaban for nothing.

4 Likes

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by NFBI: 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
Nigeria forming US

make them no touch my money or..

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Longinyamapucci(m): 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
I hope it's not with Niger delta money.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by mariovito(m): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2023
That's overreaching, authoritarian and communist.

A case of being the judge, jury and executioner.

How do you determine who is affiliated to the coupist?

It becomes a case of point and kill.

Anyone can be branded as an associate and sanctioned.

I believe the courts will upturn that order.

5 Likes

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by ObaOhiminni: 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2023
Hey sir. How are you doing? I actually missed u and I have been waiting for ur comment since morning. Hope u gud
Taylor90:
Tinubu shame on you

You keep going down and low everyday with your anti people policies

Anything lower than this you’ll discover oil 800 feet’s below the earth surface

Allow your fellow Niger mandate thief to breathe

Female student of Chicago University

1 Like

Re: CBN To Impose Financial Sanction On Individuals, Entities Linked To Niger Coupis by Svoboda(m): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2023
inoki247:
Lol So Nigerians too fit sponsor another Country sad sad

When Nigeria sneezes, the whole of west Africa catches cold.

We almost single handedly enthroned civil rule and denocracy in Liberia and Sierra leone after respective years of civil war.

In the real sense of the word, i believe the junta is beginning to feel the pinch of the economic and diplomatic isolation.

Nigeria is just too big for niger. Niger cant survive without Nigeria. It is the only economically viable border country it has. Algeria, chad and mali are mostly long stretches of desert.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan's Aides Are Barred From Calls / Boko Haram Attacks Bori, Damboa In Borno / Onnoghen, Mohammed Reply Queries As NJC Meets Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.