Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? (727 Views)

Why Do Most Nigerian Women Think This is The Only Way To Express Love / Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Anambra Widow Sleeps Outside After She Was Thrown Out Of Her Home By Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by IntelChief: 7:12am On Dec 16, 2022
Met with this dude of mine yesterday somewhere in Portharcourt, this guy had been swimming in chronic poverty for only God knows how long.

The guy is quite hardworking, alright, but making it big is not just his thing for now, try as he may.

Dube needs quality start-up capital and other financial 'shock absorbers', but the Nigerian effect is preventing him from getting help from his paddys dem (including me)

The punchline of our conversation last night was when he told me that he has about five uncles and aunties who resides abroad in very fat countries.

"What?" I said. "Why haven't you reached out to them yet?" I exclaimed.
"Am not that dull" he said. "I've tried conversing with them infinite times on WhatsApp, but when people don't want to help you, you can tell from the manner they respond to you" he said.
"Did your pops man treat them badly when they were young?" I asked.
"I don't thing so" he said. "Pops man is a pretty nice fellow, he treated them just fine back then. Intel Chief, forget about my relates abroad, will you? They are just stingy, period".
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by donbachi(m): 7:23am On Dec 16, 2022
Take as e be for u in Naija..know how e be for dem dia

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by Truvelisback(m): 7:32am On Dec 16, 2022
IntelChief:
Met with this dude of mine yesterday somewhere in Portharcourt, this guy has been swimming in chronic poverty for only God knows how long.

The guy is quite hardworking, alright, but making it big is not just his thing for now, try as he may.

Dube needs quality start-up capital and other financial 'shock absorbers', but the Nigerian effect is preventing him from getting help from his paddys dem (including me)

The punchline of our conversation last night was when he told me that he has about five uncles and aunties who resides abroad in very fat countries.

"Am not that dull" he said. "I've tried conversing with them infinite times on WhatsApp, but when people don't want to help you, you can tell from the manner they respond to you" he said.
"I don't thing so" he said. "Pops man is a pretty nice fellow, he treated them just fine back then. Intel Chief, forget about my relates abroad, will you? They are just stingy, period".
This guy has been swimming in Chronic poverty. grin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by Cypress042(m): 8:06am On Dec 16, 2022
If the king of the jungle lion tells you he hasn't seen or eaten for weeks you might laugh and think he's lying, but deep down he's saying the truth, this is why sometimes they go under cool tree and keep their ego intact.

If you ask your relative living abroad for assistance and they didn't offer you, accept your faith and hustle hard, in this world you're on your own.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by Ahmed0336(m): 8:07am On Dec 16, 2022
If e easy why him no travel out, hustle then begin do welfare anyhow you like?
Just imagine this entitlement mentality undecided

Know this and know peace, nobody owe you anything......

Act as if they don't exist, keep hustling,one day they'll be the ones trying to reach out.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by ecolime(m): 8:31am On Dec 16, 2022
You can't blame them. Life isn't rosy anywhere.

It's just like your relative at Ahoada LG telling his friends that you who lives in Portharcourt is stingy.

To that relative, you dey chop life for PH city but na only you know how cruel life is treating you.

Na so e be

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by youngsahito(m): 8:47am On Dec 16, 2022
Stinginess dey some people body both home and abroad and they will be giving unreasonable excuse like "he no easy". Well, we are not entitled to anybody wealth but try and reach out to those that are in need since people also help you while climbing the ladder up. Make we just pray for Gods blessing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by faithfull18(f): 9:41am On Dec 16, 2022
The arm of flesh will fail, trust in the Lord with all your heart not in men.

This is one principle that works all the time. Asking for help and trusting/depending on people are two different things.

The Bible says the hearts of kings and men are in God's hands and he wills it to where he wants it.

The sensible thing to do is to connect to God while he touches the heart of men to favour you.

You can be the brother to the president and you won't be helped.

Ask for help yes but don't depend on them. Not everyone abroad is having it easy, let your friend skill up, trade, do something, it's easier to help someone who is also trying to get up on their own not someone folding their hands while waiting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by meobizy(f): 10:12am On Dec 16, 2022
Hustle no easy. Abroad life hard. When they find their footing they may consider him. You get paid well there, saving is another issue. All your income flows like a tap into bills. The good part is the things you pay for are excellently provided.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by BigCowHornn: 10:30am On Dec 16, 2022
Cypress042:
If the king of the jungle lion tells you he hasn't seen or eaten for weeks you might laugh and think he's lying, but deep down he's saying the truth, this is why sometimes they go under cool tree and keep their ego intact.

If you ask your relative living abroad for assistance and they didn't offer you, accept your faith and hustle hard, in this world you're on your own.

You are very correct

I travel to the USA and back at least once every 3 or 4 years. Our family house is in Pushe Ridge Loope, Austin, Texas

You'll never find any state with more Nigerians expecially igbos. When anyone there is returning to Nigeria the news spreads fast and people bring you all kinds of stuff and money to give their relatives in Nigeria. If u are not careful you'll need a whole suitcase for that shiit and pay hundreds of dollars to customs at the airports

Once I land in Lagos the relatives start tracking me to collect

The thing is most of these Nigerian relativs collecting are so ungrateful for the little gifts they get like the op here. Unknown to them their relatives overseas are washing plates or doing other menial jobs to make s,all money. Some doing 2 or 3 shifts just to see money to live talkess of enjoy

Clothes and food are cheap there.. electronics and phone na giveaways so when this overseas relatives take pictures and you see how they look you think they have landed and don't wanna help you

Life is not easy overseas and Nigerians hardly get good jobs there. That's the truth

Germany is the worst.p I have seen yet. You'll see a man with a PhD and he's sweeping a train. Look well and he's driving a Mercedes but does he have the Money? No! But his relatives think he does

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by CodeTemplar: 10:50am On Dec 16, 2022
To hustle abroad from what I can figure out, isnt the most easy thing. Once you are there, you automatically need good accommodation, insurance, transportation etc and those things aren't cheap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by jesmond3945: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2022
Abroad is a leveller. Thats why I love it. You can drive an x6 without money in your account. So people always have that mentallity that money is plucked on the streets. I wish our leaders have human conscience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by GboyegaD(m): 7:27pm On Dec 16, 2022
Those abroad have their own responsibilities too. Interestingly, abroad, you pay monthly expenses ranging from rent/mortgage to car notes, daycare, and many more. The worst is that those in Nigeria feel those abroad live for them.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by iHateFraudsters: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2022
You think living abroad is easy.

Whenever I hear Japa japa Japa, I just dey laugh una.

Do you know how much that your relative is owing the US/UK government?

You think say na Naija wey you dey get peace of mind?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by Papilagreen: 12:44am On Dec 17, 2022
My man just because his relative are based abroad doesn't mean they don't have their own issues abroad. First of all did he tell u which country dem dey?
All in the name of abroad u think they doing well. Look bro anybody wain go abroad using the right Venue via the embassy, it takes nothing less than 4 to 5 years for them to settle. U think it's easy here right?
Most of u don't even know why people go through to survive here daily..
If u no go u no go know.. no be by u get relatives abroad ooo that same abroad na Grace of God so abeg stop looking at people like once they make the journey abroad they are made.. I bet most of them don't even have $500 saved up in their account and it's a fact I no dey speak for them but I have seen it play out multiple times so forget that mentality...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:41am On Dec 17, 2022
IntelChief:
Met with this dude of mine yesterday somewhere in Portharcourt, this guy had been swimming in chronic poverty for only God knows how long.

are people supposed to make it big becoz they have relatives abroad ? alot goes into making big besides having relatives abroad that might fund you

1 you must show your own effort in having a small capital to start something or having started needing more capital to expand

2 Not everyone abroad is living well, not having papers affect your income (finding good permanent jobs) BIG TIP those who never returned to visit are most likely staying illegal and not having the best opportunity to live comfortable and having cash to spare

3 The type of relationship between the two determines how you might get help eg your uncle, brother to your mother can not take you as priority to help, he might consider that your uncles from your fathers side should help you not him.

4 these relatives also have own their priorities outside family links etc, saving for the future, building their own homes or even looking after their own parents etc

5 what if they also lost faith in helping as many people abroad have been burned by relatives, lying, creating stories to just milk people abroad
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Relatives Living Abroad Stingy? by Fiscus105(m): 5:59am On Dec 17, 2022
IntelChief:

Whenever any relative or friend called them, they must request for money, not minding what they are passing true.

Though my relatives that based in abroad not stingy o and I have never for once asked money from any of them, they do send without asking them.

(1) (Reply)

Male Child Wahala: Men Read This Before You Send Your Wife Packing / What Are Your Plans For Xmas? / Alert Pls! Be Careful Of The Gift You Receive At Christams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.